Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Preseason means nothing

Bert Johns

8 minutes ago, Bert Johns said:

The last time the Colts won the Superbowl the Colts won 0 games. Relax folks. People in a panic already. Aaron Rodgers said it best Relax. Preseason means absolutely zip. It's basically practice against another team. Meaningless. Period. 

<Sarcasm> Haven't you heard? It's a weak argument. The season's already over. Fire Reich, fire Ballard, throw the entire offensive line in the trash, receivers are the worst, blah, blah, blah... </Sarcasm>. 

I swear some people just live to be desperately miserable. There's a difference in being realistic, and then being downright ridiculous. 

1 minute ago, RollerColt said:

<Sarcasm> Haven't you heard? It's a weak argument. The season's already over. Fire Reich, fire Ballard, throw the entire offensive line in the trash, receivers are the worst, blah, blah, blah... </Sarcasm>. 

I swear some people just live to be desperately miserable. There's a difference in being realistic, and then being downright ridiculous. 

I know, this place is comical at times. You would think with some of the people's posts that we were dealing with fans that have only watched football for a couple of years. 

Not seeing anyone complaining we lost? We were ahead until the 4th Q meaning it was our 3rd-stringers who lost the game. Who cares?

The Oline looked terrible, though, 1st through 3rd stringers. That's my main concern. WRs not getting separation was a bit surprising, but is hopefully mostly a product of playcalling. Got some flashes from non-starters which I appreciate.

39 minutes ago, Bert Johns said:

The last time the Colts won the Superbowl the Colts won 0 games. Relax folks. People in a panic already. Aaron Rodgers said it best Relax. Preseason means absolutely zip. It's basically practice against another team. Meaningless. Period. 

If you are saying the score means nothing I couldn’t agree more and have a hard time seeing how veteran  football fans could possibly think it does.

but there’s things on the field that can have large impact from individual performance standpoint.

6 minutes ago, Nickster said:

If you are saying the score means nothing I couldn’t agree more and have a hard time seeing how veteran  football fans could possibly think it does.

but there’s things on the field that can have large impact from individual performance standpoint.

To your last sentence, Injury would be one of them and thankfully we didn't have any.

40 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

That's kind of why I stopped participating during the off season. 

There's the first phase of yay the seasons here, then let's just get this season over with, that's after the first or second loss. Then can't wait for the draft, then it's I hate who we drafted. Then can't wait for the free agent period, then hate who we brought in.

It gets tiring.. Lol

3 minutes ago, Nickster said:

You can get an idea of how guys are competing in live individual match ups.

I know in the Peyton days our 1st team looked terrible in some matchups for the most part in preseason games. We rarely won but dominated the regular season. Like yesterday, I watched the 1st half, if JT plays we score early and often IMO. Just him alone makes a difference. Preseason is what it is, fun to see certain things but unless it is 1's vs 1's than you can't get a true feel for it. Our best player didn't play, Allen didn't play for them so I don't put a lot of stock in us getting easy turnovers either.

I think something that's overlooked is that JT was not in the game at all. That is going to have a major impact on the kind of coverages our wideouts will see. Your not going to want to press our bigger receivers as much when he's in the game and let them get a hold of you to open up the outside in my opinion.

Pre-season results mean nothing. I couldn't care less if we go 3-0 or 0-3. 

What actually happens on the field isn't meaningless though. It means a lot less than it does during the regular season but it's not like there is absolutely no point to preseason games.

I thought there was some good and some bad last night. Some people flashed, others didnt. I'm just excited football is back!

2 minutes ago, Jimdcoltsfan said:

I think something that's overlooked is that JT was not in the game at all. That is going to have a major impact on the kind of coverages our wideouts will see. Your not going to want to press our bigger receivers as much when he's in the game and let them get a hold of you to open up the outside in my opinion.

Oh no doubt, not having JT in the game is like the Cowboys playing without Emmitt Smith back in the day for example. When Emmitt missed the 1st 2 games of the 1993 regular season, Dallas looked lost and they Troy freakin Aikman and Michael Irvin + a great O.Line. They started 0-2.

6 minutes ago, Mackrel829 said:

What actually happens on the field isn't meaningless though. It means a lot less than it does during the regular season but it's not like there is absolutely no point to preseason games.

I thought there was some good and some bad last night. Some people flashed, others didnt. I'm just excited football is back!

Seth Meyers Reaction GIF by Late Night with Seth Meyers

1 hour ago, RollerColt said:

Pretty funny how much overreacting there is by fan bases. 

The same thing happens on the SC message board quite frequently. Our OL was the weak link for us last year and in our first practice, in shorts and shoulder pads, they had 4 running plays in a row that got blown up and several posters were calling for heads to roll.  It really is comical. And these same dingbats are the first to apologize when things go right. Just shut up and let it play out. Most of us know when it's time to actually be critical. 

14 minutes ago, Jimdcoltsfan said:

Exactly. Fans have a memory about 2" long. Remember when Bob Sanders was out of the line up and here are just a few of the comments being sprayed on this very site....

Polian should be fired

This is the worst defense in the league

This is the worst defense the Colts have ever had

This is the worst defense in the history of the NFL

.....and when he came back that year, we went on to win the SB. 

One person's presence can change everything. But, after all, it was only non-schemed preseason....

For the most part, some fans have this odd sense of entitlement to "Looking better than the other team". When they don't get it, they make sure everyone knows it. 

3 minutes ago, Four2itus said:

Exactly. Fans have a memory about 2" long. Remember when Bob Sanders was out of the line up and here are just a few of the comments being sprayed on this very site....

Polian should be fired

One person's presence can change everything. But, after all, it was only non-schemed preseason....

For the most part, some fans have this odd sense of entitlement to "Looking better than the other team". When they don't get it, they make sure everyone knows it. 

Yep. Those type of people, when they are wrong they disappear for weeks as well. Only come out after losses.

58 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I know in the Peyton days our 1st team looked terrible in some matchups for the most part in preseason games. We rarely won but dominated the regular season. Like yesterday, I watched the 1st half, if JT plays we score early and often IMO. Just him alone makes a difference. Preseason is what it is, fun to see certain things but unless it is 1's vs 1's than you can't get a true feel for it. Our best player didn't play, Allen didn't play for them so I don't put a lot of stock in us getting easy turnovers either.

Yep that’s what you can get a feel for  one on ones

1 hour ago, Mackrel829 said:

I agree with this.

The only other thing I would add is that I also think it's flawed to use the teams from the Polian era as a judgment as to how important preseason is to the current Colts team. Those were different teams in different situations compared to the current Colts team. 

24 minutes ago, pgt_rob said:

Didn’t watch. Preseason means hardly much as long term standpoint. Coaches get a feel for wrapping up the roster. Don’t pay attention to the score. 

I like to watch to get an idea of what the rookies or new bubble players could offer. I don't watch any college football so it's nice to get a feel for who could offer what to the 53 man roster.

26 minutes ago, pgt_rob said:

Didn’t watch. Preseason means hardly much as long term standpoint. Coaches get a feel for wrapping up the roster. Don’t pay attention to the score. 

But you can learn a lot about human-kind by reading the reactions of the fans.

3 hours ago, Bert Johns said:

I agree to an extent. The difference is however that u had Peyton Manning and the returning talent . Those guys didn't care and pre season was used more to evaluate young talent as the core was already in place. The roster was already set in place.  For me this pre season is to solely evaluate the LT position and for at least one of these young receivers to  excell. So far color me concerned. 

5 hours ago, Bert Johns said:

I wholly disagree. We had a much better team the last time we won the super bowl than what we have now. Preseason back then was much less meaningful because we had solid teams. While we currently have a fairly decent team (on paper) they have a lot of work to do and need every bit of time to improve.

5 hours ago, Four2itus said:

Polian should be fired

short memory won 1 sb  with manning . due bad coaching  . manning almost won 2 sb with denver their 3 years .  show what type a team.  manning play 14 years for the colts  won 1 sb  .  think was on a team like denver are new england  have 5 sb .

8 hours ago, Bert Johns said:

I would say your thread as titled is useless, and incredibly incorrect.

There are at least 50 guys on that 90 man roster sweating bullets on what they put on tape during these games. 

1 hour ago, throwing BBZ said:

I would say your thread as titled is useless, and incredibly incorrect.

There are at least 50 guys on that 90 man roster sweating bullets on what they put on tape during these games. 

Absolutely!

Preseason games mean a lot to borderline players, second and third stringers wanting to move up the depth charts and get on the 53 or the practice squad.

Does it mean much re: W/L not really!

9 hours ago, Mackrel829 said:

Exactly. Ws / Ls, who cares. 

But it's part of the yearly prep and readiness.

And if you do care about the scoreboard, best to care about the 1H, or 1Q results, not the final. 

But you do want to see starters play well. And you want to see the young kids get better.

PS do matter, otherwise they would not exist. The score really dont matter.

But LT play was tested, as well as ofense as a whole (qb-wr chimestri, TEs blocking, basically everything thats new).

Overall the only complain was play calling on ofense. If they are out there risking injurys, why not test deep/medium passes, or at least something different

7 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

That would be an amazing accomplishment since the Colts don’t play the Jags week one. 

Ok so I was off by a week. It’s already been noted. My bad. 

now, the point overall still stands, we get beat by the Jags whenever we play them early this season, then the chorus to fire Ballard and Reich wilL be louder than ever

14 hours ago, fire cartier said:

short memory won 1 sb  with manning . due bad coaching  . manning almost won 2 sb with denver their 3 years .  show what type a team.  manning play 14 years for the colts  won 1 sb  .  think was on a team like denver are new england  have 5 sb .

Grammarly dot com

19 hours ago, Four2itus said:

Polian should be fired

I don’t disagree. Well mostly. I’ll just add that the reason I am concerned, not panicked, about how we looked was the fact our heavily invested OL looked like total garbage against 2nd and 3rd stringers.

now, I realize we have two new faces to the OL and things take a minute to Gel there, but all three of our returning starters looked like rookies on ice skates, which is why I’m concerned, not panicked.  Hopefully they’ll work out the kinks in the next couple of weeks.  

Archived