Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Tuesday teams cut to 85, who are your 5 cuts ?

holeymoley99

1)Samson Nacua- 13 wr's and only keeping 6 on the 53.  Seems like low man on totem pole.

2)Deon Jackson- 7 rbs and we keep 3 maybe 4. His blocking today was awful,fell behind Price and Verdell.

3)Jordan Murray-Deep on O Line depth chart. Didnt do anything today to improve standing.

4)Caevon Patton-Cut once already deep on DT depth chart.

5)Chris Wilcox-10 Corners and we are only keeping 6. Is at the bottom of the depth chart.

Wouldnt be shocked to see the following also

Ethan Fernea-wr

Nikola Kalinic-te

Alex Mollete-c

Byron Cowart-DT

14 minutes ago, holeymoley99 said:

1)Samson Nacua- 13 wr's and only keeping 6 on the 53.  Seems like low man on totem pole.

2)Deon Jackson- 7 rbs and we keep 3 maybe 4. His blocking today was awful,fell behind Price and Verdell.

3)Jordan Murray-Deep on O Line depth chart. Didnt do anything today to improve standing.

4)Caevon Patton-Cut once already deep on DT depth chart.

5)Chris Wilcox-10 Corners and we are only keeping 6. Is at the bottom of the depth chart.

Ethan Fernea-wr

Nikola Kalinic-te

Alex Mollete-c

Byron Cowart-DT

Wilcox actually had a decent game I though. Actually good vs the run. IIRC, was 2nd in tackles. Not saying that makes him a lock to make it through the week, but he's not a name I'd think of for first cuts. If I'm cutting a DB, I'd likely start with Myres.

My 4 would be...

• TE: Kalinic and Jacobson - We know the 4 we're keeping, assuming we keep 4 and not 3. Might as well rip the band aide off now, and not waste the practice reps. I'm sure one will end up on the PS. Both are project types that will need time. 
  • CB Alex Myres - He's been in the league for 3ish years already, and just not enough upside to think he'll make the 53
  • WR DJ Montgomery - good kid, but others that are younger with higher ceilings. Perhaps a PS candidate 

8 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Wilcox actually had a decent game I though. Actually good vs the run. IIRC, was 2nd in tackles. Not saying that makes him a lock to make it through the week, but he's not a name I'd think of for first cuts. If I'm cutting a DB, I'd likely start with Myres.

My 4 would be...

• TE: Kalinic and Jacobson - We know the 4 we're keeping, assuming we keep 4 and not 3. Might as well rip the band aide off now, and not waste the practice reps. I'm sure one will end up on the PS. Both are project types that will need time. 
  • CB Alex Myres - He's been in the league for 3ish years already, and just not enough upside to think he'll make the 53
  • WR DJ Montgomery - good kid, but others that are younger with higher ceilings. Perhaps a PS candidate 

Myers wouldnt shock me, Montgomery looked decent today. Jacobson think they want him on ps,looked good today finding end zone. Expect him a later cut to sneak to p.s

2 minutes ago, holeymoley99 said:

Myers wouldnt shock me, Montgomery looked decent today. Jacobson think they want him on ps,looked good today finding end zone. Expect him a later cut to sneak to p.s

Both TEs are decent long term projects. One is BB player, the other a CFLer. But I think both need time, and wouldn't put either in the top 4 at this point. I'd keep both on the PS if I could. And if our top 4 are locked in (I think they are), might as well make the move now. 

Montgomery isn't horrible to me, but I'd keep a first year guy like Fernea who has better speed, has position flexibility (played WR, RB, at UCLA), and was a STs favorite. Doubt Fernea makes the 53, but I like his STs value, and future upside on the PS. So I'd like to see more of him in PS action as more of an audition for ST or the PS. 

1 minute ago, EastStreet said:

Both TEs are decent long term projects. One is BB player, the other a CFLer. But I think both need time, and wouldn't put either in the top 4 at this point. I'd keep both on the PS if I could. And if our top 4 are locked in (I think they are), might as well make the move now. 

Montgomery isn't horrible to me, but I'd keep a first year guy like Fernea who has better speed, has position flexibility (played WR, RB, at UCLA), and was a STs favorite. Doubt Fernea makes the 53, but I like his STs value, and future upside on the PS. So I'd like to see more of him in PS action as more of an audition for ST or the PS. 

Fair enough on both and a chance we go shopping and pick up a body or two and cut 1-2 more by Thursday. Ballard never leaves a rock un turned this time of year.

5 minutes ago, holeymoley99 said:

Fair enough on both and a chance we go shopping and pick up a body or two and cut 1-2 more by Thursday. Ballard never leaves a rock un turned this time of year.

Oh I definitely think we shop down the cut down aisle this year. 

If I had to bet, iOL and WR will be rocks we look closely at. 

But there's always some unexpected vet cuts too, and at positions you don't necessarily need. 

I love cut-down day (final one). 

5 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Oh I definitely think we shop down the cut down aisle this year. 

If I had to bet, iOL and WR will be rocks we look closely at. 

But there's always some unexpected vet cuts too, and at positions you don't necessarily need. 

I love cut-down day (final one). 

I do as well,remember losing Isaiah Kaufusi last season like it was yesterday, felt he definitely did enough to stick but ended up out of the NFL. Also remember Andre Chachere making the 53 and THEN getting cut but he ended up in Philly.  Hoping Jojo Domann isnt this years Kaufusi.

18 minutes ago, IndyEric07 said:

Brandon King#36 with those 2 late whiffed tackles would be on my list!

I always thought of King as a st ace ONLY, and personally want guys that can play base and st. Not sure he gets cut early BUT if others (weatherford,domann,skalski) show similar st ability prefer they make it over him for sure. Hope club feels the same.

1 hour ago, holeymoley99 said:

Ethan Fernea-wr

Nikola Kalinic-te

Alex Mollete-c

Byron Cowart-DT

This would be my four. I would put Murray at the top of the list if Kelly was healthy.   I could see a RB going too so they can give more PT next week to someone like Price. 

King was so hyped when we signed him, he was just awful on special teams yesterday. There seemed to be no intensity yesterday. That was the worst kick coverage I've seen from the Colts in quite some time. My cuts would be Murray, Myers, Kalinec, and 2 receivers. (probably Montgomery and Fernea)

Going to go with 4 as Spriggs is already gone and not replaced.

OT - Murray - just got cooked yesterday

CB - Myres - ehh

DT - Patton - been on and off roster already

K - Verity - missed extra point....

They could still keep Verity for the competition though.

(2) alternatives

RB - Verdell

TE - Kalinic

2 hours ago, LiveAndLetAddai said:

With all due respect, Sam faced lesser competition, unless I missed something?  I do from time to time ;)

I don't think Sam faced that much lesser of competition than Foles did.

Sam played good. Doubt Foles goes anywhere, but I am sure there is a scenario out there where it could happen.

1. Sam would have to keep playing lights out.

2. QB needy team would have to come with a decent trade package.

If Sam keeps playing good, he will be tough to get to the PS.

Sam should get the start against the Lions. Hopefully it's not Foles.

14 minutes ago, LiveAndLetAddai said:

With all due respect, Sam faced lesser competition, unless I missed something?  I do from time to time ;)

Matt Ryan was playing with most of his own starters and was playing against second string guys for over a quarter of the game…Ehlinger was playing with second-third stringers on both sides and performed better than Matt Ryan did. I’d have expected Sam to do fair against second-third stringers so that is a good sign he didn’t let us down. I’d have expected Ryan to do better than he did..I know he needs time. The point is Sam did exactly what we wanted him to do, that’s a great thing.

2 hours ago, Happy2BeHere said:

Matt Ryan was playing with most of his own starters and was playing against second string guys for over a quarter of the game…Ehlinger was playing with second-third stringers on both sides and performed better than Matt Ryan did. I’d have expected Sam to do fair against second-third stringers so that is a good sign he didn’t let us down. I’d have expected Ryan to do better than he did..I know he needs time. The point is Sam did exactly what we wanted him to do, that’s a great thing.

Let's revisit this after week one.  Are you related?

what's interesting is that Willis and Picket had good to decent 2nd halves, and everyone is saying that they should be the starters. Sam has a great second half and its dismissed. Foles has not been good for a while he is 33 and is here because of his relationship with Frank. That is not the reason to be the backup QB.

16 minutes ago, JMichael557 said:

what's interesting is that Willis and Picket had good to decent 2nd halves, and everyone is saying that they should be the starters. Sam has a great second half and its dismissed. Foles has not been good for a while he is 33 and is here because of his relationship with Frank. That is not the reason to be the backup QB.

Sorry, but there's a lot wrong with this comp.

Pickett has better traits, and much better total resume than Sam to begin with. 

Expectations are very different too.

But I'm not going to jump the shark on either Kenny or Sam's performance in 2H pre-season work. 

Personally though, I predicted Kenny to start for Pitt by year 2. He's simply a good fit. Still way too early crown him.

Hopefully both Sam and Jack will get earlier reps so we can better eval them. But Sam is a creator. So you should fully expect him to excel to an extent in backyard ball situations like 2H preseason games. Ryan won't play this weekend. Foles perhaps gets a Q. The rest split between Sam and Jack. 

28 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Pickett has better traits, and much better total resume than Sam to begin with

Does he really have a better resume or just a better senior year(5th year covid yr at that), to skew the stats a little closer?

Pickett:(6'3 220lbs)

5yrs

62.4% 12,303yds 81yds 32tds 132.3 rating

809yds rushing 20 rush TDs

Started 52 games 32-20 record

Take away the covid eligibility season and it isn't close, production wise

5th year stats - 67.2% 4329yds 42tds 7ints(39tds 25ints first 4 years) 165.3 rating 241yds rush 5 rush tds

13-2 record(19-18 in first 4 years)

*3rd 2021 Heisman - 5th year senior(eligibility from covid shortened season)

Sam:(6'1 210lbs)

4yrs

62.5% 11,436yds 94tds 27ints 145rating

1903yds rushing 31 rush TDs

Started 43 games 27-16 record

Sam arguably had better stats(don't mean anything, but part of resume) in 4yrs, than Pickett did in 5yrs. Better record % wise as well.

Pickett does have him on some traits. Sam has some intangibles on him though.

Doesn't seem to be a "much better resume" to me.

I think that was a fair point by @JMichael557

Couple that with college resume doesn't mean anything when playing in the NFL. Both were playing against reserves, both played good.

I don't think JMichael was saying Sam should be the starter, like some were saying with Pickett and Willis. Just thought it was interesting that they were getting praise and Sam was getting the meh... treatment.

1 hour ago, EastStreet said:

Sorry, but there's a lot wrong with this comp.

Pickett has better traits, and much better total resume than Sam to begin with. 

Expectations are very different too.

But I'm not going to jump the shark on either Kenny or Sam's performance in 2H pre-season work. 

Personally though, I predicted Kenny to start for Pitt by year 2. He's simply a good fit. Still way too early crown him.

Hopefully both Sam and Jack will get earlier reps so we can better eval them. But Sam is a creator. So you should fully expect him to excel to an extent in backyard ball situations like 2H preseason games. Ryan won't play this weekend. Foles perhaps gets a Q. The rest split between Sam and Jack. 

Pickett College Staats

12,303 7.3 81 32 (Yards, per attempt, TD, INT)

Sam Ellinger 

11,,436 7.7 94  27  (Yards, per attempt, TD, INT)

Pickett threw 200 more passes.

Sorry the other Poster beat me to this.

6 hours ago, w87r said:

I don't think Sam faced that much lesser of competition than Foles did.

Sam played good. Doubt Foles goes anywhere, but I am sure there is a scenario out there where it could happen.

1. Sam would have to keep playing lights out.

2. QB needy team would have to come with a decent trade package.

If Sam keeps playing good, he will be tough to get to the PS.

Sam should get the start against the Lions. Hopefully it's not Foles.

We might keep 3 QB's on the roster, never know??

Just now, 2006Coltsbestever said:

WE might keep 3 QB's on the roster, never know??

Yeah, I know but we need all the spots we can have. 3rd QB just seems too much with the 2 vets in place.

Hard to carry 3. Maybe though.?

Just now, w87r said:

Yeah, I know but we need all the spots we can have. 3rd QB just seems too much with the 2 vets in place.

Hard to carry 3. Maybe though.?

Sam will probably be practice squad, Matt never gets injured so 2 it will probably be. Frank and Ballard both seem to like Sam though. Foles is a good solid backup so Sam is just in one of those jams where he is 3rd best on a team.

Just now, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Sam will probably be practice squad, Matt never gets injured so 2 it will probably be. Frank and Ballard both seem to like Sam though. Foles is a good solid backup so Sam is just in one of those jams where he is 3rd best on a team.

Just hope he can make it there, would hate to lose him. Good cheap backup next year or following season.

See how he plays the rest of preseason.

18 minutes ago, w87r said:

Just hope he can make it there, would hate to lose him. Good cheap backup next year or following season.

See how he plays the rest of preseason.

Yup….   I’d guess he’s our QB2 by 23 or 24 at the latest.   A decent inexpensive backup.   

23 minutes ago, w87r said:

Does he really have a better resume or just a better senior year(5th year covid yr at that), to skew the stats a little closer?

Pickett:(6'3 220lbs)

5yrs

62.4% 12,303yds 81yds 32tds 132.3 rating

809yds rushing 20 rush TDs

Started 52 games 32-20 record

Take away the covid eligibility season and it isn't close, production wise

5th year stats - 67.2% 4329yds 42tds 7ints(39tds 25ints first 4 years) 165.3 rating 241yds rush 5 rush tds

13-2 record(19-18 in first 4 years)

*3rd 2021 Heisman - 5th year senior(eligibility from covid shortened season)

Sam:(6'1 210lbs)

4yrs

62.5% 11,436yds 94tds 27ints 145rating

1903yds rushing 31 rush TDs

Started 43 games 27-16 record

Sam arguably had better stats(don't mean anything, but part of resume) in 4yrs, than Pickett did in 5yrs. Better record % wise as well.

Pickett does have him on some traits. Sam has some intangibles on him though.

Doesn't seem to be a "much better resume" to me.

I think that was a fair point by @JMichael557

Couple that with college resume doesn't mean anything when playing in the NFL. Both were playing against reserves, both played good.

I don't think JMichael was saying Sam should be the starter, like some were saying with Pickett and Willis. Just thought it was interesting that they were getting praise and Sam was getting the meh... treatment.

When I say resume. Here's what I mean (below). Resume is not solely stats focused, although I can make that argument too. 

• Kenny is prototypical, Sam is not
    • Height: 6-3 (6032) vs 6-1 (6011)
      • Short QBs who aren't bonafide runners rarely succeed. Brees of course is the exception. 
    • Speed: 4.73 (not great) vs 4.84 (less than not great)
      • Full disclosure, Sam can extend plays, so not going to beat him up here...., but many totally jump the shark about his ability to run. Kenny is seen as a scrambler too. 
    • RAS: 9.52 vs 6.82
  • College profile
    • System/HC/OC
      • Kenny
        • Team - historically Pitt is a D minded, smash mouth O, heavy on running. They did have Marino back in the day though lol. 
        • Narduzi was the HC, and we all know Narduzi is a D minded guy. 
        • Whipple - spread guy who will test vertically, but his run pass ratio will be near 50/50.
        • Surrounding talent: Rarely in the top 25 recruiting (not sure the last time they were)
      • Sam -
        • Team - used to be a more dynamic O (Mac Brown days), but since has had O issues
        • Herman was the HC, who is a heavy RPO spread, short passing. Pretty perfect for Sam.
        • OC - had two, not really worth mentioning as Herman was calling the shots
        • Surrounding talent: Rarely outside of the top 10... Clear and overwhelming advantage for Sam. 
    • Stats/games
      • Kenny
        • showed strong progression / development over the course of his college career.
        • broke Marino's 40 year old single season passing record. And 4300+ at Pitt is simply unique. 
        • Comparing senior years, Picket blows Sam away. Not saying Sam's was bad, just not close to Kenny's
      • Sam
        • Nice consistency through the years, but most say he hit his ceiling early, and just didn't progress/develop much. 

I could go in to the overall draft profile, but I'm guessing you've read it for both. But overall, Kenny had a lot less talent around him, showed development, and simply has prototypical measurables.

That doesn't mean Sam's bad. Just points as to why Kenny is seen as having the higher ceiling. Like I said in previous post (might be another thread), I'd prefer we had just rolled with Sam instead of signing Foles in the first place. So not trying to bag on Sam (I'm happy to bag on Foles though), just trying to realistic about the total picture. I think Sam is a great kid. And he's going to continue to look good if allowed to play limited RPO short stuff, or backyard hero ball. I don't think he'll look great in heavily scripted plays that aren't heavy short RPO. 

1 hour ago, JMichael557 said:

Pickett College Staats

12,303 7.3 81 32 (Yards, per attempt, TD, INT)

Sam Ellinger 

11,,436 7.7 94  27  (Yards, per attempt, TD, INT)

Pickett threw 200 more passes.

Sorry the other Poster beat me to this.

Please see my reply to @w87r

1 hour ago, EastStreet said:
  • Marino's 40 year old single season passing record. And 4300+ at Pitt is simply unique. 
  • Comparing senior years, Picket blows Sam away. Not saying Sam's was bad, just not close to Kenny's

Pickett had 2 senior years. 

If not for Covid, his 2021 season would of been in the NFL. 

Pickett was 19-18 through his true senior season. 39tds 25ints through true senior season.

There is no comp in there stats if Pickett doesn't take a 5th year option offered because of Covid. 

Should that count against him, no, but it is a fact. 

Pickett through true senior season

60.4% 7974yds 39tds 25ints sub-130 QB rating 1177 pass attempts

568yds rushing 15 rush tds

54 total TDs

19-18 record

Sam through senior season

62.5% 11,436yds 94tds 27ints 145 QB rating 1476 pass attempts

1903yds rushing 33 rush TDs

127 total TDs

27-16 record

True senior season stats:

Pickett - 9 games 61.1% 2408yds 13tds 9int 129.6 rating(67th in college football)

145 rush yds 8 tds rush

Sam - 10 games 60.2% 2566yds 26tds 5int 150.7 rating(24th in college football)

337 rush yds 8tds rush

Not sure if you missed it, but I did say stats don't mean anything, but it is part of the resume where you said Pickett had much better resume, as well as record(record part of resume, not that you said Pickett had better record).

All this is moot anyway, because the main point of all of this is the hypocrisy of praising Pickett and Willis performances yet down playing Sam's performance this weekend.

Not even saying that is your hypocrisy, as not sure I have seen you say anything about Willis or Pickett outside this thread? Definitely downplayed Sam's performance though. Their performance this weekend shouldn't be separated as they were similar situations, playing against 2nd-3rd teamers.

Bottomline is, if not for Covid and a 5th year for Pickett, he was significantly outplayed by Sam in college through their 4 true years of action. 

Did Sam have more talent around him? Yeah I can go along a little, but I would argue that he was also playing against better competition in the Big 12 vs ACC. Outside Clemson in ACC, been a pretty bleak Football conference for a little bit.

And again, if college resumes dictated pro success there would be all kinds of great QBs in the league Starters, backup and 3rd strings.

12 hours ago, w87r said:

Going to go with 4 as Spriggs is already gone and not replaced.

OT - Murray - just got cooked yesterday

CB - Myres - ehh

DT - Patton - been on and off roster already

K - Verity - missed extra point....

They probably still keep Verity for the competition though.

(2) alternatives

RB - Verdell

TE - Kalinic

bumping my list to try and get this thread back on track.

Drifted a little bit, as there os 0% Sam os cut by Tuesday.

Archived