Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

2022 Colts at Bill (Pre Season) Post Game Thoughts

EastStreet

Same as previous years... please wait till the game is final to post.

Give us your top 5-10 (or more) post game thoughts.

I'm still watching (been heavy on the DVR rewind), so will post my full thoughts in a bit.

But....

• First reaction.... 1st Team / 1st Quarter Offensive play felt like vintage Reich (heavy short / shallow possession play calling)... Sigh... 
  • And of course we got the return of....... Hines up the gut lol in red zone action... Sigh again...

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It’s the 1st preseason game. Play calling is going to be vanilla for all phases. Why give anything away before the real season begins?

There’s plenty to work on and improve. Rather we figure out the problems now in August. The doom and gloomers will be here soon enough. I’m sure we’ll hear a lot about LT…

4 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

It’s the 1st preseason game. Play calling is going to be vanilla for all phases. Why give anything away before the real season begins?

There’s plenty to work on and improve. Rather we figure out the problems now in August. The doom and gloomers will be here soon enough. I’m sure we’ll hear a lot about LT…

nonsense . frank does want win if left sam in last few mins  would won the game .  great coach  too every game too win .

Not many thoughts. It’s just preseason but a few observations.

Ryan throws a very smooth and pretty ball. 
Dayo looked pretty good. 

Fearured Hines a lot so I am not worried about the WR. Plus they don’t scheme up pass plays and it’s just very vanilla.

Sam is vastly improved from last preseason. Woods looked good.

It wasn't a bad loss. There were some good things from the Colts here. Defense looked very solid, Sam looked good, Woods looked better on the field, and Hines was decent rushing the ball (which was a bit unexpected from me given his size). O-Line was bad in certain parts, and no one on the receiving end really stood out, it was more of everyone getting a bit of a turn. 

Decent game overall.

TE's all looked great we are in great shape for years to come if this continues.

Campbell looks slower.   

Coan has no shot of passing Sam this preseason

Lindsay and T.Williams both looked good and will be in the 3/4 mix. Price is 5 as of now.

E.J. Speed was flying around the field

Verity missed a PAT, Hot Rod thus has more breathing room.

Wilcox and Chesley both looked eh...

17 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Same as previous years... please wait till the game is final to post.

Give us your top 5-10 (or more) post game thoughts.

I'm still watching (been heavy on the DVR rewind), so will post my full thoughts in a bit.

But....

• First reaction.... 1st Team / 1st Quarter Offensive play felt like vintage Reich (heavy short / shallow possession play calling)... Sigh... 
  • And of course we got the return of....... Hines up the gut lol in red zone action... Sigh again...

Hines uo the gut is just because Taylor didn’t play. We aren’t going to give anything away. Those Carry’s would of been Taylor.

I think we eventually see Phillip Lindsay get those inside zone plays instead of Hines. (not that he will completely take all his snaps)

Rainmann looks like a third round rookie and got bullied repeatedly. It is clear he will not be a starter for quite some time.

34 with another interception

Sam Ehlinger is better than most people on this forum thought. Confirmed.

Dayo looks healthy and got quite a bit of pressure. 

Frank been waiting 8 months to run Hines up the gut like
bokeem woodbine GIF

I know it’s just the preseason and blah blah blah, but :grumpy2:

Seeing our starting offensive line, our legit starting 5, out there getting whipped by backups was not fun. Again, I know it’s the preseason, but I don’t think those guys dressed today and went “eh it’s only the preseason, we can let our 37 year old QB get hit and pressured out there…”

1 minute ago, John Waylon said:

Frank been waiting 8 months to run Hines up the gut like
bokeem woodbine GIF

I know it’s just the preseason and blah blah blah, but :grumpy2:

Seeing our starting offensive line, our legit starting 5, out there getting whipped by backups was not fun. Again, I know it’s the preseason, but I don’t think those guys dressed today and went “eh it’s only the preseason, we can let our 37 year old QB get hit and pressured out there…”

This is why they needed to play. They have two new starters and a new QB. Plus the oline isn’t doing anything special in preseason. A lot more combo blocks ect when the real season starts.

Post Game Thoughts:

The more things change, the more they stay the same.

First team offense did very little against Bills #2's.

Receivers had a terrible time getting separation.  Again.

Winning the turnover battle had very little relation to winning the game.  Again.

Love me some Isaiah Rodgers!

Love me some EJ Speed!

Love me some Sam Ehlinger!

I know it was our 3rd/4th string defense, but we couldn't hold a 2 TD lead with 8 minutes to go.  Again.

The "other" kicker missed an extra point.

There are some things to like from this game, and some things not to like.

I'd like more of the former, and less of the latter, please.

2 minutes ago, Happy2BeHere said:

Ehlinger was the second best part of the game with the first being the turnovers the defense created. 

I’ve long supported Ehlinger and he looked like he definitely belongs. I’d give that kid more time in the next game by a substantial margin as well

Ryan won’t be playing so he will play a lot more.

1 minute ago, John Hammonds said:

Post Game Thoughts:

The more things change, the more they stay the same.

First team offense did very little against Bills #2's.

Receivers had a terrible time getting separation.  Again.

Winning the turnover battle had very little relation to winning the game.  Again.

Love me some Isaiah Rodgers!

Love me some EJ Speed!

Love me some Sam Ehlinger!

I know it was our 3rd/4th string defense, but we couldn't hold a 2 TD lead with 8 minutes to go.  Again.

The "other" kicker missed an extra point.

There are some things to like from this game, and some things not to like.

I'd like more of the former, and less of the latter, please.

dude we lost in 4 quarter  due too they took sam out the game. i still think frank don,t want too win it.

The TEs played well as a collective in the pass game. Some questionable/missed blocks however by the group and that's probably equally as important in the Colts offense.

Alec Pierce played pretty well and shows all the signs of getting even better which is great to see. The other WRs besides Pittman didn't do much and that worries me. When Frank gamplans for the regular season and opens up the book, they may look better but the group as a whole was meh today.

The starting OL was a average and kind of what I expected to see in a preseason game. The backup OL was pretty bad, but they have a lot of rookies and younger players. Honestly, this group is the one that worries me the most in the upcoming season.

Our Defense looks fantastic and has great depth all around. Was fun to watch.

Mostly as I had expected, basic play calling, with good look at the back-ups. 

Had some concern about the defense, seems like runs, and 10-15 yard passing routes, in the middle of the field are looking too easy for the opponent. The all out rush leaves runs up the middle routinely, at least this game, easy 5 yard gains. Defense otherwise played fast, and opportunistically.  

Offense was bland, and expected it to be that way with the first teamers, not enough play sample to draw any conclusions.  Noticed Pinter was late getting to the second level at least twice on runs. 

Dayo, TE's, Hines, Cross, and Rodgers had nice games.

9 minutes ago, fire cartier said:

dude we lost in 4 quarter  due too they took sam out the game. i still think frank don,t want too win it.

Taking Sam out of the game didn't cause the Bills to score 3 times in 8 minutes.

And it has nothing to do with whether or not Frank Reich wants to win it or not.

They put Coan in during mop-up time to give him a chance to play, and show what he could do.  It turned out, not very much.  In the meantime, our bottom-of-the-depth-chart defensive guys allowed them to leap down the field and score at will.

The best thing I saw in that whole terrible final minute:  Gus Bradley blitzing on the final two plays.  Eberflus wouldn't have done that.  You go, Bradley.  Best thing that happened to this team this offseason.

Just got done, and already started a re-watch. 

Play by play was pretty weak on TV, so need more re-wind lol

Thoughts.....

• Sorry, there's a difference between Vanilla and Vintage Reich. Our starting O was vintage Reich. 
    • heavy on shallow perimeter passing... you don't have to be exotic to do something different than what we saw. We picked up right where we left off last season with the short/shallow outside stuff. 
    • too heavy running Hines early. We all know what Hines brings. We don't need to see it a ton in the pre-season. And we don't need more Hines up the gut in RZ and short yardage situations lol. Seen that movie before
    • Going for it on 4th and 4 at mid field.... again, vintage... that's not vanilla lol
    • Didn't see much primary seam or deep play calls. Which stinks given what we've seen in camp, and also given both starting Buffalo safeties were out... Those plays are not un-vanilla for most teams.
    • Overall, super heavy Hines and check downs too... Did hitting the layups work out for us? Not early lol... 
  • Vet OL penalties by Kelly and Smith... It's pre season, but still, these guys should be the guys goofing early
  • Murray (I think it was Murray) at RT got boat raced by Boogie which led to the Bills scoop and score.
  • Early O gifted two turnovers and still just 3pts
  • Lindsay did pretty decent running
  • Can't really complain about any of the pass catchers.  
    • Nobody had more than 2 catches or 3 targets. 
    • Bills rook CB (Elam) seemed to get the better of our rook (Pierce). I think Pierce would have faired much better if given a 9 or slant instead of the possession and shallow stuff. 
  • DBs - thought we'd see more PDs... Only 2 (Rodgers and McLeod
  • LBs - Weatherford led the team in Ts. Domann and Skalski decent too. Weatherford really strong game. 
  • DL - totally unimpressed with the 1st team group.... especially given Buf's OL isn't good to start with, and they were without their best OL (Saffold)
  • Nice day for Rigo
  • QBs - Ryan was fine. Short passes, and efficient..... Foles, about what I expected. INT and fumble scoop and score. Sam was good. Jack got scraps with a fringe supporting cast. 
  • Verity wasn't given much opportunity, but the one he got, missed XP... sigh
  • Injuries
    • Rodgers - head (don't think it's serious)
    • Coutee - groin, sigh

3 minutes ago, John Hammonds said:

Taking Sam out of the game didn't cause the Bills to score 3 times in 8 minutes.

And it has nothing to do with whether or not Frank Reich wants to win it or not.

They put Coan in during mop-up time to give him a chance to play, and show what he could do.  It turned out, not very much.  In the meantime, our bottom-of-the-depth-chart defensive guys allowed them to leap down the field and score at will.

The best thing I saw in that whole terrible final minute:  Gus Bradley blitzing on the final two plays.  Eberflus wouldn't have done that.  You go, Bradley.  Best thing that happened to this team this offseason.

Sam was balling out  and  would scored . coen look like he was scared . i can,t blame him game was close alot pressure

45 minutes ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

Hines uo the gut is just because Taylor didn’t play. We aren’t going to give anything away. Those Carry’s would of been Taylor.

Sorry, don't agree, at all.

We know exactly what Hines brings. Just because JT is out, doesn't mean we have to overuse Hines. Use Lindsay or one of the other 5-6 RBs in those situations. Lindsay is the best up-the-gut RB if that's what we wanted to do. 

And that gives away zero.... 

Archived