Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Matt Ryan Mic’d Up

cjwhiskers

A nice little watch. Showing off some of Matt’s leadership and accuracy. Seems to be getting in step with Pitt pretty good. Some nice Pierce catches as well. 

Really enjoying the vibes this is giving. Feels so much different then last year. 

4 minutes ago, cjrulli said:

A nice little watch. Showing off some of Matt’s leadership and accuracy. Seems to be getting in step with Pitt pretty good. Some nice Pierce catches as well. 

Really enjoying the vibes this is giving. Feels so much different then last year. 

Love it! The way he talks honestly reminds me of Luck.

Just signed in as a Forum member, as I am an existing Falcons fan, and extremely interested to see how Ryan leads the Colts during his tenure.  More than happy to answer any questions for Colts fans on the good and bad with Ryan, but I can tell you, he is an ultimate pro and leader for a franchise.  On a National level, he never got the sound bites, as he is pretty ho-hum in front of the camera/mic, but as you can see with his Mic'd up session, he is extremely vocal, and pushes excellence.

He did this in Atlanta as well, and hated to see him move on, but glad he landed in a place that should benefit from his play and leadership.

5 hours ago, Blutarski said:

Just signed in as a Forum member, as I am an existing Falcons fan, and extremely interested to see how Ryan leads the Colts during his tenure.  More than happy to answer any questions for Colts fans on the good and bad with Ryan, but I can tell you, he is an ultimate pro and leader for a franchise.  On a National level, he never got the sound bites, as he is pretty ho-hum in front of the camera/mic, but as you can see with his Mic'd up session, he is extremely vocal, and pushes excellence.

He did this in Atlanta as well, and hated to see him move on, but glad he landed in a place that should benefit from his play and leadership.

Welcome! Give us your top 3 qualities and top 3 frustrations you've had with Ryan over the last 2 years specifically. 

And don't worry, most of us here know what you're going through. Sad as hell to watch him leave but exciting to see what they can do with another team. Let's hope Ryan's tenure with the Colts follows the same path as we watched Peyton with Denver. 

6 hours ago, Blutarski said:

I’d like to welcome you as well and just know that 99.9% of us on this board shared your frustration when Atlanta had an 8 point lead with 2 minutes to go and didn’t RUN THE DA#%M BALL!!

I can't lie that got me amped about him being here. Seems very upbeat, positive and I like how he's fitting in. 

Without getting into the 'where's the QB for the next 20 years' debate Ryan still sees the game well mentally and seems to be in solid NFL veteran shape so I'm hopeful.

Go Colts!!

Matty Ice....

hes-the-real-deal-hes-the-one.gif

I love how he's coaching these WR's up. 

Also, the "don't make me look stupid" comment was cracking me up! 

One last thing, his arm looks pretty dang good to me. These pundits saying he doesn't have it.......psshhhh.

His accuracy is off the charts. 

6 hours ago, lollygagger8 said:

Matty Ice....

One last thing, his arm looks pretty dang good to me. These pundits saying he doesn't have it.......psshhhh.

I agree. 

I get that he's older but he's a former top 3 pick and has tons of accomplishments.

I think we've got an upgraded Rivers so to speak. That's better than being stuck in the Jacoby/Carson universe.

17 hours ago, cjrulli said:

Welcome! Give us your top 3 qualities and top 3 frustrations you've had with Ryan over the last 2 years specifically. 

And don't worry, most of us here know what you're going through. Sad as hell to watch him leave but exciting to see what they can do with another team. Let's hope Ryan's tenure with the Colts follows the same path as we watched Peyton with Denver. 

Yeah, tough to see perhaps the greatest Falcon move on, but change is inevitable.  We should have had a ring with him, but it is what it is.  As far as your question, undoubtedly the leadership and command of the offense is his superpower.  He doesn't sugar coat things, and he tells each player what his expectation is.  I think it's fairly obvious from what you have seen already.  Other than that, here is the Good:  

1.  Extremely accurate and his timing is impeccable.  Ryan always got a rap of having a weaker arm, but he was always exceptional outside the hashes and intermediate throws, which requires some serious arm strength.  he won't blow you away, but if it's a timing route (which he clearly dictates to his receivers, if it's a 10 yard route, be 10, not 9 or 11, i'll put it there)

2.  His play action efficiency, and this is something you guys should be extremely excited about.  With your running game, Ryan is going to carve up defenses for chunk plays.  8 in the box, you will see 20-30 yard completions on the regular, if he is given time.

3.  His toughness.  For a guy who is under 220 lbs, he continuously took a beating behind poor O lines with the Falcons, and only missed like 3 games in his tenure (Due to turf toe).  The guy was always on his back, and continued to excell.

The Frustrations:

1.  He will make the correct read, even if it's not the best option.  For example, in goal line situations, when we had Julio Jones, if he was being doubled, Ryan was not going there.  Even if Jones is the best athlete on the field, and 50/50 he wins the battle, Ryan won't put the ball up.  Sometimes he could be more aggressive to 2nd level, but the check down was safer.

2.  Deep Ball Arc - Ryan likes to throw the ball on a high arc, which has led to underthrows, and missed opps.  If it's designed to go deep, no issues.  If the deep receiver is his 2nd or 3rd read, it makes it difficult to put the mustard behind the arm strength.  Now, i'll say in his defense, if he was on his 2nd or 3rd read deep, the DLine was on top of him, and he couldn't step into anything.

3.  Luck - For some reason, and the stats play out over the years, if there is a bad bounce or a tipped pass (not only from lineman, but also off hands of his receivers) it happens to Ryan.  For years, his adjusted interception rate if you take out unlucky bounces, is exceptional, but he has been handed bad luck with bounces. (That could be a Falcon thing)

16 hours ago, coltsfeva said:

I’d like to welcome you as well and just know that 99.9% of us on this board shared your frustration when Atlanta had an 8 point lead with 2 minutes to go and didn’t RUN THE DA#%M BALL!!

You could probably hear the entire Falcon Nation yelling that out loud in unison.....With all the issues our defense had that final quarter, we still should have won that game by just running the ball 3 times (to eat clock, or have Pats use their TO's).  Matt Bryant was phenomenal for us, and it would have been a chip shot FG to put us up 11, even if we didn't get one more yard.....SIGH

1 hour ago, Blutarski said:

Really good write up Blutarski. As a fellow, "Ryan fan," I'd say that you did this pretty well.

One thing that I'd add in the negatives...  Ryan is a pass-first QB. There are times when he has plenty of room to be able to run for a 1st where he'll either dump it off or wait for something to develop.

1 hour ago, Blutarski said:

Yeah, tough to see perhaps the greatest Falcon move on, but change is inevitable.  We should have had a ring with him, but it is what it is.  As far as your question, undoubtedly the leadership and command of the offense is his superpower.  He doesn't sugar coat things, and he tells each player what his expectation is.  I think it's fairly obvious from what you have seen already.  Other than that, here is the Good:  

1.  Extremely accurate and his timing is impeccable.  Ryan always got a rap of having a weaker arm, but he was always exceptional outside the hashes and intermediate throws, which requires some serious arm strength.  he won't blow you away, but if it's a timing route (which he clearly dictates to his receivers, if it's a 10 yard route, be 10, not 9 or 11, i'll put it there)

2.  His play action efficiency, and this is something you guys should be extremely excited about.  With your running game, Ryan is going to carve up defenses for chunk plays.  8 in the box, you will see 20-30 yard completions on the regular, if he is given time.

3.  His toughness.  For a guy who is under 220 lbs, he continuously took a beating behind poor O lines with the Falcons, and only missed like 3 games in his tenure (Due to turf toe).  The guy was always on his back, and continued to excell.

The Frustrations:

1.  He will make the correct read, even if it's not the best option.  For example, in goal line situations, when we had Julio Jones, if he was being doubled, Ryan was not going there.  Even if Jones is the best athlete on the field, and 50/50 he wins the battle, Ryan won't put the ball up.  Sometimes he could be more aggressive to 2nd level, but the check down was safer.

2.  Deep Ball Arc - Ryan likes to throw the ball on a high arc, which has led to underthrows, and missed opps.  If it's designed to go deep, no issues.  If the deep receiver is his 2nd or 3rd read, it makes it difficult to put the mustard behind the arm strength.  Now, i'll say in his defense, if he was on his 2nd or 3rd read deep, the DLine was on top of him, and he couldn't step into anything.

3.  Luck - For some reason, and the stats play out over the years, if there is a bad bounce or a tipped pass (not only from lineman, but also off hands of his receivers) it happens to Ryan.  For years, his adjusted interception rate if you take out unlucky bounces, is exceptional, but he has been handed bad luck with bounces. (That could be a Falcon thing)

I migrated the day we traded Ryan.  Your assessment is perfect.  I will watch with great expectations for Ryan and the Colts organization these next couple of seasons.  This fanbase has a lot to get excited about.  

4 hours ago, FrmrFalconFan said:

I migrated the day we traded Ryan.  Your assessment is perfect.  I will watch with great expectations for Ryan and the Colts organization these next couple of seasons.  This fanbase has a lot to get excited about.  

As a Colts fan I am very excited to see how this plays out. To me Matt Ryan is a Top 25 QB of all-time based on eye test/the way he reads defenses at the line, his leadership, stats, overall wins, and winning an MVP. We have had many QB's here in Indianapolis that have been on the good level = Harbaugh was good in 1995, (Luck was very good overall), Rivers in 2020 was good, then of course Peyton was on the great level = Top 3 of all-time IMO. Ryan is joining a nice fraternity and I am glad he is here otherwise our season would be a waste. I could not imagine going into a season with Wentz back, or Mariota, Trubisky, Mayfield, Darnold, or a rookie QB being our starter. That almost makes me want to vomit to be honest. Even at 37, Matt Ryan is better than Ryan Tannehill which is very important because that is our main comp in the division.

I project the Colts at 11.5 wins = either 11 or 12, winning the South, and making the AFC Title Game.

7 hours ago, RobertAP said:

@RobertAP I agree that he is a pass first QB, but I think that isn't under any dispute.  He isn't going to be the guy that takes off and runs most of the time; can he do it, sure, should he do it more, perhaps...  I just left that part out, since it's pretty well known that he is a pocket QB.  For the Colts fans, you will see that he is a lot more mobile than what you were used to with Rivers.

6 hours ago, FrmrFalconFan said:

Agree.  There is a lot of football left in Ryan, and if he is offered that good running game, he will take advantage of coverage offered to him.  To be honest, Ryan doesn't need a phenomenal pass blocking O-line, he will make quick decisions and put the team in good situations pre-snap, and put receivers in a good spot to succeed.  But, you get the defense on their heels trying to stop the run game, Ryan will make you pay, especially in play action.  

8 hours ago, Blutarski said:

Agree.  There is a lot of football left in Ryan, and if he is offered that good running game, he will take advantage of coverage offered to him.  To be honest, Ryan doesn't need a phenomenal pass blocking O-line, he will make quick decisions and put the team in good situations pre-snap, and put receivers in a good spot to succeed.  But, you get the defense on their heels trying to stop the run game, Ryan will make you pay, especially in play action.  

this ^
Matt never had a top tier Oline and he was able to pile up points for the Falcons Did he have any help on the ground? Yes, out of his 14 years he had good production from Mike Turner twice early in his career and Devonta Freeman in his MVP year. That's it. Playing along JT is gonna be fire

2 hours ago, depressedfalconsfan said:

this ^
Matt never had a top tier Oline and he was able to pile up points for the Falcons Did he have any help on the ground? Yes, out of his 14 years he had good production from Mike Turner twice early in his career and Devonta Freeman in his MVP year. That's it. Playing along JT is gonna be fire

Exactly Freeman and Coleman were gone/hurt I’m 2017 and still put up big stats, he’s had the ghost of Steven Jackson, a tank empty Todd gurley, Mike Davis, Patterson for 3/4 of a year… and a hand full of scraps..

JT gonna be like having 2008 Turner all over again 

On 8/11/2022 at 8:12 AM, lollygagger8 said:

Matty Ice....

On 8/11/2022 at 3:57 PM, RobertAP said:

Pretty smart for a 37 year old QB. He learned this from Brady.

Archived