Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Luck and Griffin's wonderlic score's.

Balzer40

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/as-good-as-it-gets-vn4vq54-148038285.html

According to this article Luck scored a 37 on the wonderlic and Griffin scored a 24. Now, let me just say that I put absolutely no stock what so ever in wonderlic scores but I found it interesting that Luck scored so highly. I had to take this test for a job one time and the questions are stupid and meaningless to how one would perform on the football field, but I guess it does determine if you are able to solve simple, common sense problems in a timely manner. Also, Haven't teams been warned several times now they weren't supposed to leak out the scores of these players.

"Meanwhile, Luck scored 37 on the 50-question Wonderlic intelligence test, nine more than Manning."
"Griffin was 3 inches better than Luck on the vertical jump and 4 inches worse on the broad jump. He scored 24 on the Wonderlic."

The quotes from the aricle.

I don't think to much of the wonderlic but heck if a player does well, that can't be a bad thing. The thing that really strikes me about Luck is his will to learn and grow, he seems like a very studious person thus his mental capability as a QB will have no ceiling. I think he seems to excel in this category over most if not all collegiate players from what I've heard from his coaches and the media. He seems like the type of player that will never become a prima donna or "undisciplined" like we have seen from various QBs throughout the NFL. That my friends, is something that can never be taught.

I will try to dig up the article but this guy had tracked QBs and he found three criteria that just about every successful NFL QB had in college,

The three things were:

Minimum of 20 starts in college

A completion percentage greater that 65%

And a Wonderlic score greater than 21.

My numbers may be off because it's been over a year since I read the article. But it was interesting.

24 is average for a QB - they say any lower than 21 for a QB is a big red flag. Highest average in NFL is 26, which is the average OT's score. On a survey of major professions, they found Systems Analysts to have the highest average on 32, followed by chemists on 31. Other examples are accountants and executives both on 28, security guard on 17, lowest was a warehousemen on 15. Granted this was 1983 so will change for today's society, but the test is still the same. Thus, if these scores are true (can we be sure?), we can surmise that Andrew Luck is very intelligent, and Griffin's intelligence is perfectly fine and on par with the average NFL QB.

If I am right, Reggie Wayne scored 13, didn't he? Andre Johnson scored 14. So, have those guys been busts in the NFL? I think not.

Certain positions, a REAL BAD SCORE (single digits) might matter, like QB, MLBs or O-linemen, one can make a case. But the teens and beyond for a score, to me, the score becomes less relevant for the above positions and certainly for other positions. Vince Young, who scored 7 for a QB, was a red flag that teams did not pick on. You can get by athleticism to an extent but eventually you have to be able to read Ds as a QB.

I will try to dig up the article but this guy had tracked QBs and he found three criteria that just about every successful NFL QB had in college,

The three things were:

My numbers may be off because it's been over a year since I read the article. But it was interesting.

You're talking about John P. Lopez who studied this - his theory is known as the 26-27-60 rule. 26 wonderlic, 27 starts, 60% completion. By no means is this definitive but, he claims, successes and busts can be correlated based on this rule. Obviously there are exceptions as there are to every rule, but it's a basic guideline. Following this, Luck makes 37-38-67, excelling in all three categories, while Griffin makes 24-41-67, excelling in two but faltering in Wonderlic, but by such a slight amount I'm sure it doesn't matter.

To me, RG3 is good enough to be a Michael Vick that currently passes more out of the pocket, so he is already ahead of Vick in that aspect coming out of the draft. That is his floor, IMO. The ceiling, only time will tell.

Andrew Luck is cerebrally like Peyton coming out of the draft with the arm strength and legs of Aaron Rodgers, IMO.

If I am right, Reggie Wayne scored 13, didn't he? Andre Johnson scored 14. So, have those guys been busts in the NFL? I think not.

Certain positions, a REAL BAD SCORE (single digits) might matter, like QB, MLBs or O-linemen, one can make a case. But the teens and beyond for a score, to me, the score becomes less relevant for the above positions and certainly for other positions. Vince Young, who scored 7 for a QB, was a red flag that teams did not pick on. You can get by athleticism to an extent but eventually you have to be able to read Ds as a QB.

You're right, I just found it interesting that Luck had such a high score. I don't remember many players scoring that well on the wonderlic. I know there are some players that have done better, but normally a score in the high 20's is considered pretty good. Considering Manning only scored a 28, it just proves that Luck is pretty good at solving problems quickly which bodes well for good decision making when reading defenses and making the right calls at the line. Griffin's score is average and on par with most other intelligent QB's so I wasn't trying to belittle him.

Eli scored a 39, so at least one Manning has Luck beaten ;)

Seriously? That's impressive. I love Eli, but if I didn't know who he was and someone told me he was 'special', I'd believe them.

I know Fitzpatrick scored a 50, but he's a Harvard guy. None of this matters anyway, but it's interesting.

According to this article Luck scored a 37 on the wonderlic and Griffin scored a 24. Now, let me just say that I put absolutely no stock what so ever in wonderlic scores but I found it interesting that Luck scored so highly. I had to take this test for a job one time and the questions are stupid and meaningless to how one would perform on the football field, but I guess it does determine if you are able to solve simple, common sense problems in a timely manner. Also, Haven't teams been warned several times now they weren't supposed to leak out the scores of these players.

I've heard people say similar things a few times, and it always makes me smile. They talk about the wonderlic the same way that kids in high school used to talk about tests. Apparently NOBODY ever opened a book or expended any effort, and everyone got great scores. I didn't believe it then, and I don't believe it now. Not everyone has the same abilities.

I don't believe that the questions are "stupid and meaningless". I saw the formal 12 question sample, and they are not unlike any IQ test or SAT test. To a certain extent they test existing knowledge, to a certain extent they test deductive reasoning, to a certain extent they test reading comprehension, to a certain extent the test common sense - and considering how little time you are given they are simultaneous testing how quickly you can process information and how you respond to stress. Pretty much anyone could get most of the questions right sitting at home with unlimited time and a calculator. I'm not sure how we'd do with someone standing over us with a stop watchand our future hanging in the balance. Similarly not everyone can think clearly on the 20 yard line with time running out and 80,000 people screaming at you. I think that the tests have validity in the NFL - particularly for QBs - and I think that it's not particularly surprising that a Stanford student would do better than a Baylor student. Lucks brain is his single best asset.

Seriously? That's impressive. I love Eli, but if I didn't know who he was and someone told me he was 'special', I'd believe them.

I know Fitzpatrick scored a 50, but he's a Harvard guy. None of this matters anyway, but it's interesting.

I think Eli is a bit of an enigma. Didn't speak a word until he was 3 1/2 years old, but the first thing out of his mouth was a complete sentence.

I think Eli is a bit of an enigma. Didn't speak a word until he was 3 1/2 years old, but the first thing out of his mouth was a complete sentence.

lol thats all really interesting.

And yes he is an enigma.

No wonder he shines in the 4th quarter, it took him till year 4 to get it all right together :).

The three things were:

I think you are talking about the 26-27-60 rule: 26 on Wonderlic, 27 starts in college career, and 60% completion percentage. Here's one of many articles on it: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/john_lopez/07/08/qb.rule/index.html. It's actually pretty interesting to look at.

Bill Parcels also has his famous 4 rules for drafting a QB: http://smartfootball.com/quarterbacking/bill-parcells-four-rules-for-drafting-a-quarterback

Reminds me of the joke about the kid who didn't speak at all until he was six years old. His parents were convinced that there was something wrong with him. One day - completely out of the blue - he says "EXCUSE ME, but this milk is sour". His parents gasp with relief and surprise, call their doctor and rejoice. When everything was once again calm they turned to the kid and said "If you can talk, why didn't you say anything before". The kid answers "Everything was fine up until now".

Reminds me of the joke about the kid who didn't speak at all until he was six years old. His parents were convinced that there was something wrong with him. One day - completely out of the blue - he says "EXCUSE ME, but this milk is sour". His parents gasp with relief and surprise, call their doctor and rejoice. When everything was once again calm they turned to the kid and said "If you can talk, why didn't you say anything before". The kid answers "Everything was fine up until now".

Thats a good one, I had not heard that before!!! :) :)

LOL!

The story about Eli came from Archie's book, I believe. If I remember correctly, his first words were, "Hey Peyton, whose cat is that?"

You're talking about John P. Lopez who studied this - his theory is known as the 26-27-60 rule. 26 wonderlic, 27 starts, 60% completion. By no means is this definitive but, he claims, successes and busts can be correlated based on this rule. Obviously there are exceptions as there are to every rule, but it's a basic guideline. Following this, Luck makes 37-38-67, excelling in all three categories, while Griffin makes 24-41-67, excelling in two but faltering in Wonderlic, but by such a slight amount I'm sure it doesn't matter.

U da man. Yes that is what I'm talking about (I knew my numbers were off). Thanks

Here's an article about the 26-27-60 rule. He does say it's not full proof, he shows the exceptions and all that but it is a pretty good guide. When looking at QBs.

LOL!

The story about Eli came from Archie's book, I believe. If I remember correctly, his first words were, "Hey Peyton, whose cat is that?"

That is so cool, it makes me like Eli even more, and makes me more bummed that we don't have a Manning on our team.

About 20 more years until we draft Marshall.

I think you are talking about the 26-27-60 rule: 26 on Wonderlic, 27 starts in college career, and 60% completion percentage. Here's one of many articles on it: http://sportsillustr...rule/index.html. It's actually pretty interesting to look at.

Bill Parcels also has his famous 4 rules for drafting a QB: http://smartfootball...g-a-quarterback

Who did Parcels ever draft at QB? Besides Simms, who wasn't exactly elite, I can't think of another guy he took that turned out great.

I'm not ragging on him, I really don't know.

And Fitzpatrick got a 50, so he's clearly the best of the group.

Harvard man FTW.

I love nerds. Probably why I am always talking to old Chad. ;)

Our Stanford boy is not too shabby in the brains department either though. :)

Who did Parcels ever draft at QB? Besides Simms, who wasn't exactly elite, I can't think of another guy he took that turned out great.

I'm not ragging on him, I really don't know.

Bledsoe. He might have ties to Romo(signed while Tuna was in Dallas). Pennington

He wanted Peyton @ #1 in 97, but he returned to Tennessee.

Another thing to consider with these wonderlic scores, is that most prospects are tested on them in the pre-combine workouts they do for their agents at some of these work out centers that they attend. This didn't have happen as much 10-15 years ago.