Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

ESPN Writer Shares the 2022 Indianapolis Colts "Achilles Heel"

sb41champs

Some are unproven, and others just have had bad luck with injuries. If the stars align for our WR group they can actually be good. 1 month and 2 days to go. Still plenty of time to get things worked out (including the dropped passes problem). 

Reggie could be a difference maker for this group as a coach as well. JMO.  

• Like 2

He states the obvious. WR has been a major concern for some time...I don't get why Ballard kept refusing to look at FAs. We will need all the stars to align for this not to be a weakness, and I don't see it happening. Hope I'm wrong. 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, jonjon said:

He states the obvious. WR has been a major concern for some time...I don't get why Ballard kept refusing to look at FAs. We will need all the stars to align for this not to be a weakness, and I don't see it happening. Hope I'm wrong. 

We couldn’t afford those prices. 

19 hours ago, csmopar said:

We couldn’t afford those prices. 

We didn't have to break the bank for guys like Adams or Robinson. Even a second-tier guy would have been a smart move.

16 minutes ago, jonjon said:

We didn't have to break the bank for guys like Adams or Robinson. Even a second-tier guy would have been a smart move.

Perhaps, but you don’t go on a spending spree for WRs until you settle the QB situation. And frankly, ours still isn’t solid

The tumult from Luck (32) and AC (33) quitting the game i think is finally over. JMO

I am comfortable counting 6 high end players on offense and 5 on defense.

You throw in another half dozen or so of solid players with another 8-10 developing prospects, and at least a half dozen or so interesting Rookies, and a wise person will just sit back and see how it all comes together.

No we do not want to start slow with our passing game because we lack one more new vet WR. As is, i like our chances to make the the playoffs and that our young receiving corps can be very solid by then.

• Like 1

I’d say our Achilles heel is becoming OL depth.   A 3rd round rookie (who we hear about getting beat as often as winning any reps), a currently-injured Journeyman OT, and a second year 7th rounder…

On 8/10/2022 at 12:47 PM, csmopar said:

Perhaps, but you don’t go on a spending spree for WRs until you settle the QB situation. And frankly, ours still isn’t solid

I never said a "spending spree." Just SOMEONE worthwhile. And yes absolutely you can and (depending on the situation) should build up the team even if you don't have the answer at QB. Why do you think the Lions moved up to get that WR in the first round? Because they think Goff is the answer? I think not

As someone living in Georgia I’ve had the chance to see many Falcon games the last few years. If our WRs are even average this offense will be stellar. Ryan put up numbers last year he had no business putting up with that rag tag group. They had no o line, no run game, and the best receiving threat was a rookie TE. It was freaking week 17 and he was still having to scream at guys to get them lined up right because they didn’t know the routes or plays. The group we have, as long as they stay healthy, can be far better and should put up big numbers this year.

• Like 1

On 8/10/2022 at 12:30 PM, jonjon said:

Even 2nd tier guys were getting massive money though. Did you see some of the contracts given out? Colts just didn’t have that kind of cash.

I don't have the numbers in front of me, but I think we did even after we got Ryan...and surely we did before that easily. 

And I know it's just one pre-season game, but after that clunker my fears remain that we have squat after Pittman.

Ballard just can’t stand pat with the WR group.  Not if we’re all in.  I think he’s going to acquire a vet.  My best guess could be Nelson Agolor of the Pats.  Just a feeling since he has played for Reich before and just might be available.