Jump to content
Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts release first depth chart


CR91
 Share

Recommended Posts

That's why the team calls it an "unofficial" depth chart - like they did all of last season.

 

I want to see "difference makers" on our team this season - whether as starters - backups - or - role players.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

Even if Dayo is a rotational piece all over the line, I still see him ahead of Banogu at LEO. I'm not sure he even makes the 53.

I think banogu is going to surprise some people this season.

 

I think he makes it(unless he is traded to upgrade somewhere else), pending health. Not worried about his per say, but any given play for any given player. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

MIKE Linebacker: Shaquille Leonard, Forrest Rhyne*, James Skalski*

Bowen’s Analysis: Is Leonard a MIKE linebacker in Gus Bradley’s system?

 

Yes.  That's what I said when Gus Bradley was first brought in.  In the Tampa 2, the Will LB is free to make all of the plays.  The Corners have primary responsibility for the flat.  In the Cover 3, the OLB's have primary responsibility for the flat, and the Mike LB is free to make the plays.  I opined that Leonard would be moved over from Will to Mike to continue doing what he does best.

  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, w87r said:

I think banogu is going to surprise some people this season.

 

I think he makes it(unless he is traded to upgrade somewhere else), pending health. Not worried about his per say, but any given play for any given player. 

Fingers crossed he does, I just don't expect he will. He hasn't done a whole lot in camp so far and I don't think he gets a lot of playtime with anyone but the 3rd-stringers.

 

He needs to have a fire lit under him, because this year is likely his last chance with the Colts at least.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, John Hammonds said:

MIKE Linebacker: Shaquille Leonard, Forrest Rhyne*, James Skalski*

Bowen’s Analysis: Is Leonard a MIKE linebacker in Gus Bradley’s system?

 

Yes.  That's what I said when Gus Bradley was first brought in.  In the Tampa 2, the Will LB is free to make all of the plays.  The Corners have primary responsibility for the flat.  In the Cover 3, the OLB's have primary responsibility for the flat, and the Mike LB is free to make the plays.  I opined that Leonard would be moved over from Will to Mike to continue doing what he does best.

As long as he gets to do what he does best. :rock:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

Fingers crossed he does, I just don't expect he will. He hasn't done a whole lot in camp so far and I don't think he gets a lot of playtime with anyone but the 3rd-stringers.

 

He needs to have a fire lit under him, because this year is likely his last chance with the Colts at least.

I've thought he has had a rather good camp up to this point.? One of the better ones.

 

It's all hear say, but thought that is what I have been hearing?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

Fingers crossed he does, I just don't expect he will. He hasn't done a whole lot in camp so far and I don't think he gets a lot of playtime with anyone but the 3rd-stringers.

 

He needs to have a fire lit under him, because this year is likely his last chance with the Colts at least.

Banogu seems to have had a pretty good camp so far. For him he has a DC now that will use him the right way.

 

Anyone want to know how bad Eberflus was at creating a pass rush look at the drama going on now with Roquan Smith requesting a trade. They are already messing with his best attribute.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

No real surprised.. The backup center thing is confusing. But the WR depth chart is exactly what I predicted. Now question will be do they keep both Coutee and Patmon.

It depends, do they keep 6 wide receivers or 4 tight ends, or both?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

38 minutes ago, w87r said:

I've thought he has had a rather good camp up to this point.? One of the better ones.

 

It's all hear say, but thought that is what I have been hearing?

 

21 minutes ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

Banogu seems to have had a pretty good camp so far. For him he has a DC now that will use him the right way.

 

Anyone want to know how bad Eberflus was at creating a pass rush look at the drama going on now with Roquan Smith requesting a trade. They are already messing with his best attribute.

My bad then, must have missed it. Just don't remember seeing him on the highlight tweets. Like I said, fingers crossed he does have a good year - having been ignored by Eberflus you kind of hope he will.

 

Edit: Also, about the Roquan part, I think he's a bit over hyped. PFF have his best season at 67.5 IIRC, that's hardly worth elite money.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

57 minutes ago, John Hammonds said:

MIKE Linebacker: Shaquille Leonard, Forrest Rhyne*, James Skalski*

Bowen’s Analysis: Is Leonard a MIKE linebacker in Gus Bradley’s system?

 

Yes.  That's what I said when Gus Bradley was first brought in.  In the Tampa 2, the Will LB is free to make all of the plays.  The Corners have primary responsibility for the flat.  In the Cover 3, the OLB's have primary responsibility for the flat, and the Mike LB is free to make the plays.  I opined that Leonard would be moved over from Will to Mike to continue doing what he does best.

I do remember you and a couple others making mention of this, nice call.  I think it will ease the sticker shock of his extension that some questioned at WILL, even though WILL was the superior LB in Flus' system.  Also, it may make it easier to re-sign Oke, since he will be classified as a WILL.

 

33 minutes ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

Dayo isn’t a LEO. Dayo will move all across the line. That’s probably why he is listed like that.

 

Exactly, he is more Big DE and 3Tech DT.

 

1 hour ago, sb41champs said:

That's why the team calls it an "unofficial" depth chart - like they did all of last season.

 

I want to see "difference makers" on our team this season - whether as starters - backups - or - role players.

 

More sensibility from you Lady!  You are spot on! :)

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

40 minutes ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

Banogu seems to have had a pretty good camp so far. For him he has a DC now that will use him the right way.

 

Anyone want to know how bad Eberflus was at creating a pass rush look at the drama going on now with Roquan Smith requesting a trade. They are already messing with his best attribute.

I don't know if that is Smith's issue. You would think he should thrive in a Leonard type role. He just wants paid

 

Generating pass rush is an Eberflus issue though.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Makes the 5th and 6th corner pecking order clearer for time being with Brown and Tell ahead of the pack. Some are high on Flowers but he is buried currently. I expect Thomas at Safety and not Corner and he appears to be in running for the 4th spot though Watts st could sneak him in over him. Didnt expect McIntosh over Brooks......

 

On O not much surprising with Granson coming on hot as of late being listed 1st team.   Surprised jackson so high on rb list at 5 over Price who has gotten mentions but it is early there (Only 3 likely make it anyway but if 4 who challenges Williams ?). Always liked Van Demark but havent heard much of him,Dennis Kelly injury may pave the way. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, w87r said:

I don't know if that is Smith's issue. You would think he should thrive in a Leonard type role. He just wants paid

 

Generating pass rush is an Eberflus issue though.

I was not an Flus fan . However, his D and fronts were quite good against the run. I am anticipating that this D line will get more sacks and pressures as they will attack more. Now that being said. Be prepared for gashing run plays. I know fans were so frustrated by the lack of pass rush. However, I wonder how those same fans will respond when we get 4 sacks a game but give up big running play after play. Pick your poison.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

I was not an Flus fan . However, his D and fronts were quite good against the run. I am anticipating that this D line will get more sacks and pressures as they will attack more. Now that being said. Be prepared for gashing run plays. I know fans were so frustrated by the lack of pass rush. However, I wonder how those same fans will respond when we get 4 sacks a game but give up big running play after play. Pick your poison.

Hopefully we put together a good total package with our substitution packages.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, John Hammonds said:

MIKE Linebacker: Shaquille Leonard, Forrest Rhyne*, James Skalski*

Bowen’s Analysis: Is Leonard a MIKE linebacker in Gus Bradley’s system?

 

Yes.  That's what I said when Gus Bradley was first brought in.  In the Tampa 2, the Will LB is free to make all of the plays.  The Corners have primary responsibility for the flat.  In the Cover 3, the OLB's have primary responsibility for the flat, and the Mike LB is free to make the plays.  I opined that Leonard would be moved over from Will to Mike to continue doing what he does best.

Shaq played under 220the last couple seasons.  Bobby Wagner was 240+.  Shaq seems awfully Small for an NFL Mike.
 

Singletary was a small Mike around 220 or 225 back in the day bit that was when Fridge was considered huge at 300.  Biggest dude in the league I think.


I don’t see how Shaq will hold up at That weight but we will see.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, w87r said:

Hopefully we put together a good total package with our substitution packages.

Well when Yannixk is 232 as a D end don't expect much. I kind of laugh when the coaching staff talks bout his explosion. He better be explosive at that weight lol. He wouldnt be a LB on some teams because of his weight. Colts better expert a lot of running on this D.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

Banogu seems to have had a pretty good camp so far. For him he has a DC now that will use him the right way.

 

Anyone want to know how bad Eberflus was at creating a pass rush look at the drama going on now with Roquan Smith requesting a trade. They are already messing with his best attribute.


You seem to be blaming Eberflus for anything and everything.   Have been for some time.   Right now Smith's issues with Chicago are with the front office.   Flus is the coaching staff.    That’s not the same. 
 

And generating a pass rush is also on Ballard.   He let Autry and Houston leave and replaced them with rookies.  Maybe some of that is also on Irsay, he controls the purse strings.  
But blaming everything last year on Flus is badly misplaced, and I’m not even a big fan of his. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

51 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Well when Yannixk is 232 as a D end don't expect much. I kind of laugh when the coaching staff talks bout his explosion. He better be explosive at that weight lol. He wouldnt be a LB on some teams because of his weight. Colts better expert a lot of running on this D.


Where did you see Ngokwe listed at 232?   He’s been 246 everywhere he’s been.   I believe he’s 246 on the Colts roster.    232 is out of the blue….  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:


Where did you see Ngokwe listed at 232?   He’s been 246 everywhere he’s been.   I believe he’s 246 on the Colts roster.    232 is out of the blue….  

The media asked him directly since he said 232. Can't remember where I read it yesterday.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

Banogu seems to have had a pretty good camp so far. For him he has a DC now that will use him the right way.

 

Anyone want to know how bad Eberflus was at creating a pass rush look at the drama going on now with Roquan Smith requesting a trade. They are already messing with his best attribute.

Banogu had a good camp last year too.  He has to do it in a game that’s the part he’s never been able to do.  I kinda view him as the Campbell of the defense (for different reasons) they are camp standouts who give you very little in games (again for different reasons) so I won’t be tricked into getting excited about either because of camp again.  I view anything they give the Colts as a bonus and that they shouldn’t be counted on.  With that said I’d love to be proven wrong by both players.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:


Where did you see Ngokwe listed at 232?   He’s been 246 everywhere he’s been.   I believe he’s 246 on the Colts roster.    232 is out of the blue….  

Stephen Jolder Twitter. He asked him

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Stephen Jolder Twitter. He asked him


I just watched the video.   I confess he looked small before the topic of his weight even came up.   Honestly, I’m stunned at such a small number for DE.    Not surprised he’s not 246,  but 232?!?    I didn’t see that coming.  Honestly, I’m surprised no one asked him about it once he said so.   The door was opened, and no one walked thru. 
 

Good find.    Thanks for that!     :thmup:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:


I just watched the video.   I confess he looked small before the topic of his weight even came up.   Honestly, I’m stunned at such a small number for DE.    Not surprised he’s not 246,  but 232?!?    I didn’t see that coming.  Honestly, I’m surprised no one asked him about it once he said so.   The door was opened, and no one walked thru. 
 

Good find.    Thanks for that!     :thmup:

That's why he probably has not been able to stick with  a team. Sure he gets 10 sacks  but man at that weight how can we expect him to be good  against the run? I mean a good TE could stone wall him lol.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

No real surprised.. The backup center thing is confusing. But the WR depth chart is exactly what I predicted. Now question will be do they keep both Coutee and Patmon.

From the practices sessions and breakdowns have been reading it seems Wesley French has been winning and holding his own.  Knew he had a high RAS and 81" wing span and was one of my favorite UDFA players.  Keeping French as the backup Center makes a lot of sense to me with Pinter earning starter play at RG.  Will Fries has done nothing to impress and even Smith is having some troubles at RT, again what I have read posted good/bad from practice sessions.  Matt Pryor has been doing well but still a lot of backup OL players needing to step up imo.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Moosejawcolt said:

That's why he probably has not been able to stick with  a team. Sure he gets 10 sacks  but man at that weight how can we expect him to be good  against the run? I mean a good TE could stone wall him lol.

 

 Mathis stank against the run so... it's good we will play a lot of cover 3.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/9/2022 at 2:08 PM, Solid84 said:

Even if Dayo is a rotational piece all over the line, I still see him ahead of Banogu at LEO. I'm not sure he even makes the 53.

Dayo hasn't exactly set the camp on fire (like Cross and Ogletree).

He could be another layed-back busteroony....maybe Ben belongs ahead of him.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/9/2022 at 2:08 PM, Solid84 said:

Even if Dayo is a rotational piece all over the line, I still see him ahead of Banogu at LEO. I'm not sure he even makes the 53.

Dayo is certainly higher up the 53 stack than Banogu.

IMO, this is purely a depth chart limitation around the definition of LEO and scheme. 

 

I'd also say that the first depth charts that are published are typically "kinder and gentler" to guys that have been around. 

Not saying Banogu won't make it, but Ifeadi seems to have had more wins in one on ones, and also mentioned more than Ben in the media since camp started. 

 

Regardless, back to LEO and scheme. I don't see us playing a LEO every down. Ngakoue was typically out early run downs last year, and came in for 2nd and 3rd. Of course that will fluctuate vs different teams that pass more or pass less... And at Ngakoue's current weight, highly doubt he's in on run downs vs a LT. That'll be Dayo or Lewis IMO. Ben's not really seen as great vs the run either. 

On 8/9/2022 at 2:18 PM, John Hammonds said:

MIKE Linebacker: Shaquille Leonard, Forrest Rhyne*, James Skalski*

Bowen’s Analysis: Is Leonard a MIKE linebacker in Gus Bradley’s system?

 

Yes.  That's what I said when Gus Bradley was first brought in.  In the Tampa 2, the Will LB is free to make all of the plays.  The Corners have primary responsibility for the flat.  In the Cover 3, the OLB's have primary responsibility for the flat, and the Mike LB is free to make the plays.  I opined that Leonard would be moved over from Will to Mike to continue doing what he does best.

 

Yup. It's not all that big of a change to be honest. We're normally in a 2 LB set anyway. And he won't be stuck in a hole like some folks think of, when they think of a traditional MIKE. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/9/2022 at 10:10 PM, NewColtsFan said:


Where did you see Ngokwe listed at 232?   He’s been 246 everywhere he’s been.   I believe he’s 246 on the Colts roster.    232 is out of the blue….  

I saw he was down somewhere onhere.  I think it was some article. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/10/2022 at 11:08 PM, EastStreet said:

Dayo is certainly higher up the 53 stack than Banogu.

IMO, this is purely a depth chart limitation around the definition of LEO and scheme. 

 

I'd also say that the first depth charts that are published are typically "kinder and gentler" to guys that have been around. 

Not saying Banogu won't make it, but Ifeadi seems to have had more wins in one on ones, and also mentioned more than Ben in the media since camp started. 

 

Regardless, back to LEO and scheme. I don't see us playing a LEO every down. Ngakoue was typically out early run downs last year, and came in for 2nd and 3rd. Of course that will fluctuate vs different teams that pass more or pass less... And at Ngakoue's current weight, highly doubt he's in on run downs vs a LT. That'll be Dayo or Lewis IMO. Ben's not really seen as great vs the run either. 

 

Yup. It's not all that big of a change to be honest. We're normally in a 2 LB set anyway. And he won't be stuck in a hole like some folks think of, when they think of a traditional MIKE. 

 

Well Paye played 72% of the snap counts last year for Bradley.  That's pretty high for a DE.  I don't have any idea what their roster was like over there.  Don't know if it is by preference or necessity to have that many snaps for him. 

  • Confused 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...