Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Every concern I have, they also see. Time to watch preseason games very closely

Rhodelesstraveled

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Rhodelesstraveled said:

Time for board homers to discuss reality.  I'm concerned.  Watch it and tell me why you think these guys are wrong.  I think their critiques on our team are spot on.  Now that we know Leonard maybe out longer than we all thought I'm more concerned.  

Probably better if you summarize. Many won't take the time to watch. 

There is just a small percentage of the video that addresses the Colts:  What they said:

• Matt Ryan has been a Mid Tier QB since 2018.  At this point in his career, he's not good under pressure.  Compared to Tom Brady, who is 45, Ryan looks "done".  Unlike Brady, he does not protect his oline by getting rid of the ball quickly.  But Ryan probably still has a PFF 85 grade in him for a season if things come together.
  • Rivers had only good or bad games.  5 or 6 games over 80, 5 or 6 games under 60.
  • Wentz lost the season for the Colts last year, forced everybody to endure the Steelers playoff game.
  • Thank Frank Reich for Wentz' statistical good year last year.
  • Colts overachieved last year from a points-scored perspective.
  • Roster is pretty good, probably the best in the Division
  • Gilmore could be sneaky good this year, but his peak years were in NE playing man scheme.
  • Oline has questions
  • The addition of Pierce was smart.
  • Pass rush was a problem last year.  Yannick very one dimensional, just a speed rusher.  He does not have multiple games to his pass rush and is horrible against the run.
  • Paye does not have pure speed rush ability.  Together with Yannick, makes for whole EDGE play.
  • Do they have a dependable TE?
  • Does Pierce and Campbell give the Colts enough on the perimeter?
  • In order to win the AFC South, they must beat the "over/under" of 10 games.  Achieve better than how they look on paper, especially the playmakers.  Winning 11 seems rich, but predicts a sweep of TEN to win the Division.

That bald guy with the beard picked the 49ers to go 3-13 before the 2019 season and they had KC down 20-10 in the SB that season, came close to winning the SB. As far as Leonard goes, I have no Luck vibes at all. I have no doubt he will be back and 100% healthy. Back surgery is never good but the one he had was minor and he is hungry to win a SB. He loves football and is always out to prove something. He and Luck are 2 entirely different people.

15 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

That bald guy with the beard picked the 49ers to go 3-13 before the 2019 season and they had KC down 20-10 in the SB that season, came close to winning the SB. As far as Leonard goes, I have no Luck vibes at all. I have no doubt he will be back and 100% healthy. Back surgery is never good but the one he had was minor and he is hungry to win a SB. He loves football and is always out to prove something. He and Luck are 2 entirely different people.

??? I listened to the Colts section and I don't recall them talking about Leonard in any substantive way or even comparing him to Luck.

I don't think that ever quoting a person's track record on predictions does the issues justice.  There are always big misses when it comes to predictions, and it kinda just implies that we shouldn't go there because of who he is.   I would look at each point and agree with it or refute it.

1 minute ago, DougDew said:

??? I listened to the Colts section and I don't recall them talking about Leonard in any substantive way or even comparing him to Luck.

I don't think that ever quoting a person's track record on predictions does the issues justice.  There are always big misses when it comes to predictions, and it kinda just implies that we shouldn't go there because of who he is.   I would look at each point and agree with it or refute it.

The Leonard comment came regarding another thread, I just didn't feel like commenting over there when I could just my comment here regarding our season. Like I said the bald guy is usually terrible with his predictions. 

I did not even watch the clip but I am guessing he picked Tennessee to win the division lmao . I just know who the guy is because he picks every teams record every year.

To me that was just another negative piece of nonsense that all Colt fans should be used to by now being that it has been going on for 50 years. The steelers were one of the statistically worse teams in the nfl last year, probably should have won no more than 4 games. Yet they won 9 and made the playoffs because we couldn't beat the raiders or the jags after beating the pats and cards????????????????? Remember also, the steelers qb play last year was worse than Wentz! This Colt roster is already shaping up to be top 3 in the afc. Can't wait for Saturday, see how things go.

56 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

The Leonard comment came regarding another thread, I just didn't feel like commenting over there when I could just my comment here regarding our season. Like I said the bald guy is usually terrible with his predictions. 

I did not even watch the clip but I am guessing he picked Tennessee to win the division lmao . I just know who the guy is because he picks every teams record every year.

The only predictions I heard on the clip were that winning 11 games seemed kind of rich, but that the Colts would sweep TEN to win the Division.  But I didn't pay attention to who was saying it.

Seems like a positive thing to me.

What he said about the OL and Ryan is the major concern.  He also echoed my concern about Ngouke.  We don't need a speed rusher we need a DE who can anchor the edge to stop the RBs in this division.  They also think WR and TE are below avg.  Big difference than our board.  

Leonard's injury was not even discussed.  

5 minutes ago, Rhodelesstraveled said:

What he said about the OL and Ryan is the major concern.  He also echoed my concern about Ngouke.  We don't need a speed rusher we need a DE who can anchor the edge to stop the RBs in this division.  They also think WR and TE are below avg.  Big difference than our board.  

I know it wasn't discussed but I think 3 steps ahead of most people, it was on their minds and everyone knows it. I already explained why I brought up Leonard, I didn't want to waste my time posting on the other thread when someone said he was getting Luck Vibes regarding Leonard. Do you guys read all the threads?

19 minutes ago, Rhodelesstraveled said:

Do you think you're the only person on this board that has concerns about the Colts roster?

20 minutes ago, Rhodelesstraveled said:

11-6 Division Champs, book it. Then things will get serious come playoff time.

43 minutes ago, Rhodelesstraveled said:

I think the questions of, Do we have a dependable TE?  and

Is Pierce and Campbell good enough for the perimeter?  are reasonable questions.

when you consider that most playoff teams have something more solid at both the TE and the Z/flanker (over the top threat) position.

Matt Ryan was mid teir 19 & 20 with dirk koetter as OC, we’re talking one of the most “behind the times” OCs there is.. long developing plays with a terrible online.. he then had to take on yet another offensive coordinator, lost Julio Jones and Calvin Ridley in the same season and had literally only a rookie Kyle Pitts to throw to. 

y’all are really overselling the “washed” muh look at Tom Brady. 

there is NO OTHER TOM BRADY. Drew Brees couldn’t even keep pace. 

Matt Ryan will finish his career in Indy and wind up top 3/4 in passing yardage all time. 

give him a pocket to step up into behind Nelson and not Jaylen Mayfield and he will toss 30tds and sub 10ints. 

14 hours ago, Rhodelesstraveled said:

Time for board homers to discuss reality.  I'm concerned.  Watch it and tell me why you think these guys are wrong.  I think their critiques on our team are spot on.  Now that we know Leonard maybe out longer than we all thought I'm more concerned.  

So….    They have concerns about the team….  Yet according to Doug Dew, who watched the video, they’re predicting 10 wins, and that we win the AFC South.    

Yet you think they’re NOT homers, but those of us who are predicting we win the AFC South ARE homers.    To the best if my knowledge, no one here — no one — is predicting the Colts to the Super Bowl.   No one. 

I think all of us know our WRs are a big question mark.   Same with our TE group.  And even our OL has questions until they prove they don’t.   And we all want to see how Matt Ryan does with this team and coaches.  By most all accounts, he’s got enough left in the tank to win the South and make the playoffs.   

Most here simply reject your Henny-Penny running around yelling that the sky is falling all the time.   It got old a long time ago. 

Good luck this season!    :thmup:

2 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

So….    They have concerns about the team….  Yet according to Doug Dew, who watched the video, they’re predicting 10 wins, and that we win the AFC South.    

Yet you think they’re NOT homers, but those of us who are predicting we win the AFC South ARE homers.    To the best if my knowledge, no one here — no one — is predicting the Colts to the Super Bowl.   No one. 

I think all of us know our WRs are a big question mark.   Same with our TE group.  And even our OL has questions until they prove they don’t.   And we all want to see how Matt Ryan does with this team and coaches.  By most all accounts, he’s got enough left in the tank to win the South and make the playoffs.   

Most here simply reject your Henny-Penny running around yelling that the sky is falling all the time.   It got old a long time ago. 

I am known as a huge optimistic and I don't even predict us to go to the SB or win the SB. I do have us making the AFC Title Game and winning 11 games but that IMO is reasonable if we are focused and play our A game most games. If we make the SB or win it, we need luck to do so like Cincy had last year just making it.

If I had to put a % on how our season will go (remember this is if we are healthy in key area's), I would say:

10% chance of winning the SB

20% chance of winning the AFC

50% chance of making the AFC Title Game (big jump)

60% chance of winning the Division - which will more than likely happen

And at the same time the Bengals signed THREE offensive linemen to START this season. So, maybe their online wasn't very good last year? The Bengals play Eli Apple(he's no better than Chesly). We have better running backs. They have Chase, other than that our receivers are probably better. Point is, this Colt team is not as bad as the "negative nannies" on here think it is. One more thing the Chiefs are not as good without Hill(Sky Moore not even close). The Titans are not as good without Brown(that trade was laughable).

27 minutes ago, Two_pound said:

And at the same time the Bengals signed THREE offensive linemen to START this season. So, maybe their online wasn't very good last year? The Bengals play Eli Apple(he's no better than Chesly). We have better running backs. They have Chase, other than that our receivers are probably better. Point is, this Colt team is not as bad as the "negative nannies" on here think it is. One more thing the Chiefs are not as good without Hill(Sky Moore not even close). The Titans are not as good without Brown(that trade was laughable).

I think the negative nannies usually are the ones who stick to the merits of the issues.  So when the merits have some negativity, they are accused of being negative because they bring up the merits.  Better said, when the merits are discussed, the discussion has a lot of negative points because that's Life.

I think the Kool Aid drinkers ignore the merits and tend to see every addition as an elixir to the problems.

The team will go as far as better LT play, better QB play combined with WRs, and better pass rush will take them.  All of those positions are new and manned by either rookies or free agents where their previous team wanted to replace them....not really the bidding war kind of FA..  Those are the merits, IMO.

BTW, no way are the CIN receivers worse than ours outside of Chase (and you'd then have to take away Pittman for us)

If you discuss this by looking at average stats of the CIN receivers, you would be comparing players with average stats to players who basically have no stats at all.  You'd have to be an unmerit positive dude to see positives where none are evident.

12 minutes ago, DougDew said:

I think the negative nannies usually are the ones who stick to the merits of the issues.  So when the merits have some negativity, they are accused of being negative because they bring up the merits.  Better said, when the merits are discussed, the discussion has a lot of negative points because that's Life.

I think the Kool Aid drinkers ignore the merits and tend to see every addition as an elixir to the problems.

The team will go as far as better LT play, better QB play combined with WRs, and better pass rush will take them.  All of those positions are new and manned by either rookies or free agents where their previous team wanted to replace them....not really the bidding war kind of FA..  Those are the merits, IMO.

BTW, no way are the CIN receivers worse than ours outside of Chase (and you'd then have to take away Pittman for us)

If you discuss this by looking at average stats of the CIN receivers, you would be comparing players with average stats to players who basically have no stats at all.  You'd have to be an unmerit positive dude to see positives where none are evident.

QB and pass rush were added via trade not free agency

15 hours ago, Rhodelesstraveled said:

Some valid concerns but I'd call them more unknowns than actual concerns. Every team enters the season with questions but I think this team is overall far better talent wise this year than they were last year. 

• Matt Ryan will have one of the best statistical seasons of his career this year IMO. Might not throw for career yards but I expect him to be far more efficient and limit his turnovers. He's a smart QB and that is precisely what this team can take advantage of with our RBs and YAC WRs. He will be more consistent than Rivers IMO. I also think his arm is a bit stronger. 
  • Our defensive backfield is young but far more talented than the starters we had last year. 
  • Our offensive line is the biggest question mark for me, they had some bad games last year. I think if we get as much performance or more out of them we will be fine. Ryan being a more decisive QB will make them look better. 

1 hour ago, Two_pound said:

They also have Tyler Boyd and Tee Higgins. If you think Chase is all they have at WR, you haven't watched a Bengals game.

4 hours ago, DougDew said:

I don't think that ever quoting a person's track record on predictions does the issues justice.  

I disagree.   If a guy was proven wrong many times before, why listen to him spout his opinions.  

He questions the Colts WR's but the GM and Head coach do not.   I trust the guys closer to the players.  

During the NFL off-season - EVERYONE has an opinion.

Some get $$$ - you & I do NOT!!

Just how many of the "experts" picked the Bengals to go to the Super Bowl last year?  

Didn't think so.

The definition of an "ex-pert":  a has-been under pressure.

3 hours ago, Two_pound said:

The Bengals 2nd and 3rd receivers are Tee Higgins and Taj Boyd.    As of today, they’re not just better than our other WRs than Pittman,  they are a LOT better.   Seriously, really,  really good.   They are what they Colts hope our receivers turn into.    Honestly.   Cincy has drafted some very good play making talent.   

1 hour ago, Myles said:

I disagree.   If a guy was proven wrong many times before, why listen to him spout his opinions.  

He questions the Colts WR's but the GM and Head coach do not.   I trust the guys closer to the players.  

I would never say that a prediction is either "right" or "wrong".  Its baked into the definition that its speculative at the time its made.  Besides, the prediction in the video is that the Colts sweep TEN and win the Division, although I don't know that if the guy that was being criticized for being "wrong" in his predictions was the guy predicting anything in this vid.

C'mon man.  Ballard used to say that he liked Dion Cain and Reese Fountain.  They always say that.  Not saying that we should not, but that's not an objective voice.  In fact, the only time that he's never said it with much conviction was last spring, which is how some of us knew he was going to restock the receiver (and TE) room.

5 hours ago, DougDew said:

The only predictions I heard on the clip were that winning 11 games seemed kind of rich, but that the Colts would sweep TEN to win the Division.  But I didn't pay attention to who was saying it.

Seems like a positive thing to me.

He tepidly picked the Colts.  He said he thought 10 was the over under and 11 was a stretch like you said, but he said he thought that the winner of the division would be TN or Indy and the winner would sweep the other team.  He was very lukewarmly in favor of the Colts for the division. 

Said something like "Colts I guess?"

I used Cincinnati as an example because of their acquisitions of almost an entirely new oline for this season and the fact that last year their only real advantages over the Colts was qb and wr. Colt receivers were at as big a disadvantage last year as they were in 2017 and 2019. The Bengals were the 29th ranked offense in 2020 and the 7th ranked offense in 2021. Two main differences? Joe Burrow in his second year, and Jamar Chase. Can Matt Ryan and Alec Pierce create that big of a difference for the Colts? I don't know, but I do know we are in a lot better situation now than at this time last year. Is the Bengals completely revamped line going to be better than last years line? I don't know, but I bet the Bengals are sure hoping it is! The Bengals were the 23rd ranked rushing team in 2021, they were 24th in 2020. Mixon averaged 4.1 yards per carry last year, 3.6 in 2020. Why? Probably wasn't facing as many stacked boxes last season. With Ryan, Taylor shouldn't be facing as many stacked boxes this year and Taylor averaged 5.5 yards per carry last season. Advantage Colts! Go Colts! 

2 hours ago, DougDew said:

CIN's second WR is better than Pittman. Their 3d is better than all of the rest of ours. 

1 hour ago, stitches said:

CIN's second WR is better than Pittman. Their 3d is better than all of the rest of ours. 

Higgins is a stud.  They are loaded at pass catcher.  Boyd had 2100 yds and 12 TDs in 18 and 19.  He was Michael Pittman production wise, with an over the Hill Red Rifle as  the Qb.  Then they brought In Higgins who had whose had 2100 yds and 12 TDs himself in his two years.  Then they drafted all universe Jamar Chase.

Their passing unit is so much better than the Colts, it’s laughable.  Likely every one of those guys out produces a Pittman last year on our team as the focal point of the offense and with the target share.  Only reason Higgins and Boyd both didn’t break 1000 in burrows rookie year is cause he was out and they had a guy named Allen as their QB for 6 games but his first name wasn’t Josh.  They are friggin loaded and their TE Uzumah is way better than out TEs.

7 hours ago, Rhodelesstraveled said:

We may have a DE or two that could start on run downs (Lewis, Odengbo) and have Ngakoue come in on pass downs, if he’s that bad. 

1 hour ago, Nickster said:

Higgins is a stud.  They are loaded at pass catcher.  Boyd had 2100 yds and 12 TDs in 18 and 19.  He was Michael Pittman production wise, with an over the Hill Red Rifle as  the Qb.  Then they brought In Higgins who had whose had 2100 yds and 12 TDs himself in his two years.  Then they drafted all universe Jamar Chase.

Their passing unit is so much better than the Colts, it’s laughable.  Likely every one of those guys out produces a Pittman last year on our team as the focal point of the offense and with the target share.  Only reason Higgins and Boyd both didn’t break 1000 in burrows rookie year is cause he was out and they had a guy named Allen as their QB for 6 games but his first name wasn’t Josh.  They are friggin loaded and their TE Uzumah is way better than out TEs.

Im with you on this post all the way to the last sentence.    Uzumah is now the TE for the NYJets.   Lost in free agency.   They replaced him with a somewhat lesser guy whose name escapes me now.  

6 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Hard to predict outcomes because a game can be won or lost in a matter of split seconds or fractions of an inch (I.e. Kenny Moore touching the receiver’s cleat in the Raiders game).

The experts have no problem predicting the Bills to win it all but underestimate the Colts who kicked their * last year.

I agree there are questions but what if they get answered positively? What if Hines, Taylor, Pittman, Campbell, Dulin the Oline and Ryan all play well?

What if their secondary is among the league’s best and they find a pass rush? 
       These are not unreasonable expectations for a team that had 7 pro bowlers.

What I DON’T agree with is the assessment of Matt Ryan.

I’m looking forward to this year and I can see this team winning 11+ games this year but we shall see..,

33 minutes ago, coltsfeva said:

We may have a DE or two that could start on run downs (Lewis, Odengbo) and have Ngakoue come in on pass downs, if he’s that bad. 

It will be interesting to see how our Dline produces.  I’ve said in many threads that they could but MUST become a dominant unit, not just good butfriggin awesome and relentless, and play up to their investment witch is staggering in salary, draft picks, and trade capital.  

I could see this happening but if they don’t make a giant leap from last year I think this D will be torched this season in C3.  Gilmore looks really good this year and hopefully his health holds up, but even then, I think we will get torched in the secondary without a relentless pass rush.  We could also get gashed in the run game which hasn’t been the case for a few years now if we can’t hold up linemen in the 1 gapping tech.  Why I’m hopeful for this unit is Big Grove and Paye are excellent knockemback players and Defo is really good at everything.

It’s gonna be an interesting watch to see how it shakes out.

In camp the D is dominating our O but it’s unclear what that is showing.  In camp there are no Junction Boys practices, the QB, RBs, and Receivers never get hit.

you can see our oline is struggling v the Dline, but there isn’t really a way to simulate the running game without killing people, and well our oline wasn’t very good last year.  About game 5 we should have an idea of what we are going to see this year.

20 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Im with you on this post all the way to the last sentence.    Uzumah is now the TE for the NYJets.   Lost in free agency.   They replaced him with a somewhat lesser guy whose name escapes me now.  

21 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Ima take you off ignore NCF, but I’m just here to have fun and it hurts me in the feels when you laugh at everything I post.  

Do you know what they are doing with TE?  They don’t really need much in reality.  Nixon is good out of the backfield.

19 minutes ago, Nickster said:

Ima take you off ignore NCF, but I’m just here to have fun and it hurts me in the feels when you laugh at everything I post.  

Do you know what they are doing with TE?  They don’t really need much in reality.  Nixon is good out of the backfield.

I don’t know what Cincy is doing at TE?   But they have at least 3 high end wide receivers and I’m a Mixon fan.  So as long as their TE can help move the chains they’re in good shape.   

Their OL remains a question until it’s not.  And their defense has lots of questions.   So while I love Burrow and his weapons, I’m still iffy on the Bengals.   They’ve got to do it when everyone is expecting them to do it.   Put another way, it’s one thing to be the hunter, it’s another to be the hunted.   Right now Cincy has a target on them. 

As for you and me,  I’m not trying to hurt your experience here.   I’m trying to express my disagreement.   I will share that in my 10-plus years here I’ve never put anyone on ignore.   I want to read what people are writing.   But everyone is different.  I’ll try a different approach and hope it works better for you.   

27 minutes ago, coltsfeva said:

Hard to predict outcomes because a game can be won or lost in a matter of split seconds or fractions of an inch (I.e. Kenny Moore touching the receiver’s cleat in the Raiders game).

The experts have no problem predicting the Bills to win it all but underestimate the Colts who kicked their * last year.

I agree there are questions but what if they get answered positively? What if Hines, Taylor, Pittman, Campbell, Dulin the Oline and Ryan all play well?

What if their secondary is among the league’s best and they find a pass rush? 
       These are not unreasonable expectations for a team that had 7 pro bowlers.

What I DON’T agree with is the assessment of Matt Ryan.

I’m looking forward to this year and I can see this team winning 11+ games this year but we shall see..,

Our 7 pro bowler tally is dubious at best.  Imo only 3 were legit: Taylor obviously, Shaq with the ball punching, and defo but he wasn’t dominant with a 72 grade.  Moore was a decent player with a 67 but got lit up several games.  Nelson wasn’t that great last year with injury, Kelly actually sucked with a 57 Grade one of those yeah no pro bowlers , and the other guy was a long snapper.  Doesn’t really count.

Smith however was a stud and got passed over.  With the exception of Defo though, none of these players are in premium positions.

I think it’s fools gold when we say 7 pro bowlers.

6 hours ago, DougDew said:

Finally after reading your retorts after all of your posts, I finally agree to your content after many of your Harvard like pontifications 

Archived