Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Training Camp Day 8-August 8th

I've been high on Coutee before camp even started because as mentioned above he fills a very big need as the 2nd slot behind a player with injury history fluke as they may be. He has had injury issues himself but when on the field has played well, was a very good player at t tech so was drafted fairly high.  He has more upside right now then T.Y, thus no Hilton signing.  I like Patmon as well dont get me wrong but a different skill set and we have what Patmon can do covered (I'd keep both and go with 6 and 4 TE and only keep 3 backs with 2 others on p.s). Strachan's injury was a blessing for him and us and said it at the time. We can put him on PUP list or cut him and get him back through waivers.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, GoColts8818 said:

Well it’s officially a season Campbell is hurt…

Most of Campbells injuries have been the catastrophic sort, he has had an abdomen pull.

but it’s not soft tissue that has kept him out.  Not unusual for hammies to tighten up in camp, especially in this devastating humidity.

nothing really to see here in and of itself.  

26 minutes ago, holeymoley99 said:

I've been high on Coutee before camp even started because as mentioned above he fills a very big need as the 2nd slot behind a player with injury history fluke as they may be. He has had injury issues himself but when on the field has played well, was a very good player at t tech so was drafted fairly high.  He has more upside right now then T.Y, thus no Hilton signing.  I like Patmon as well dont get me wrong but a different skill set and we have what Patmon can do covered (I'd keep both and go with 6 and 4 TE and only keep 3 backs with 2 others on p.s). Strachan's injury was a blessing for him and us and said it at the time. We can put him on PUP list or cut him and get him back through waivers.

We can also put him on IR and bring him back halfway of the season or just hide him there so he doesn’t hit waivers. They did it with Patmon last year.

1 hour ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

Lol.

Yeah back surgery had me wondering.  This doesn’t sound like game 1 to me.

It took a long time to diagnose and have the surgery for whatever reason.  The back is certainly complicated like the one tweeter said.  It’s why I’m a wait and see guy with Nelson.

Shaq gives me Luck vibes.

5 hours ago, Fluke_33 said:

based on what?   I hope he does too but i hope they all do.

what he showed in camp and preseason last year. He hasn't had a chance to show anything this year. but 6'5" 225 guys who can do things like this are rare.  

3 minutes ago, Gigc said:

what he showed in camp and preseason last year. He hasn't had a chance to show anything this year. but 6'5" 225 guys who can do things like this are rare.  

This is likely why we kept so many WRs on the roster last season and didn't risk losing him in waivers.

He's absolutely a project, but a low risk one. He's got two things you simply can't teach. 1) he's got a "it's my freaking ball attitude", and 2) great height and speed combo. He ran a low 4.5s official, but he's reportedly had mid 4.4s often in the past. 

Not saying it will work out though. His routes and blocking will have to be good, but by all reports, those were much improved. 

I like Patmon too. But he's more of a glider and doesn't have the my-ball attitude close to Strachan. Similar measurables, but different demeanor. Both can be valuable though. 

20 minutes ago, Nickster said:

Yeah back surgery had me wondering.  This doesn’t sound like game 1 to me.

It took a long time to diagnose and have the surgery for whatever reason.  The back is certainly complicated like the one tweeter said.  It’s why I’m a wait and see guy with Nelson.

Shaq gives me Luck vibes.

For whatever reason, I'm just not all that worried about Leonard's timetable. I have a feeling he'll be back early season (maybe not game 1 or 2), but we can get by without him for vs Jax and Houston. Franklin, Speed, and the rest of the guys getting time should soften the blow a bit if that should happen.

But my gut says he won't need much time to get back to form once he does return. 

And yup, backs/nerves are tricky things. If this does work (he says he feels a lot better now), should pay some nice dividends. 

And yes, Nelson's bump with back issues last season were concerning. Still concerning. 

But not getting Luck vibes at all. Darius is a hungry guy. Been fighting all his life. 

1 hour ago, EastStreet said:

For whatever reason, I'm just not all that worried about Leonard's timetable. I have a feeling he'll be back early season (maybe not game 1 or 2), but we can get by without him for vs Jax and Houston. Franklin, Speed, and the rest of the guys getting time should soften the blow a bit if that should happen.

But my gut says he won't need much time to get back to form once he does return. 

And yup, backs/nerves are tricky things. If this does work (he says he feels a lot better now), should pay some nice dividends. 

And yes, Nelson's bump with back issues last season were concerning. Still concerning. 

But not getting Luck vibes at all. Darius is a hungry guy. Been fighting all his life. 

He doesn’t have to fight anymore. He’s already hit the lottery. 

8 hours ago, Gigc said:

He’s just so raw.  I used to love expecting breakout years for the great potential guys.  Now I just want to see it in games.  
maybe I’m getting too old and cranky.   Now get off my lawn.  Lol. 

27 minutes ago, Fluke_33 said:

He’s just so raw.  I used to love expecting breakout years for the great potential guys.  Now I just want to see it in games.  
maybe I’m getting too old and cranky.   Now get off my lawn.  Lol. 

I thought we had a star in the Clemson kid a few years ago.  Now I’m from MO.  Show me.

7 hours ago, EastStreet said:

IMO, he likes the fight. Embraces the game. Not afraid of barriers. 

Well many of his words haven’t matched that IMO.  Considered quitting with 2nd year.  Fell out of love last year.

now he’s rich as hell.  Other guys are reconsidering putting their bodies through the insanity that is the NFL.  Culture shifts since our day East.  I think we are the same age.  I bet you remember like I do the power of the legend of Jim Brown “quitting”.  Hell he was in the league 8 or 9 years in reality which is way above average.  But the narrative is that he gave up his career for Hollywood when in reality he as tired of getting torn up and battered. 

you seem to think that AL can’t be compared to Shaq I guess cause he’s white, his dad wasn’t poor, and he seems more educated, but to me they played the game similarly.  Luck was ate up for a QB.  Nuts.  Wild.  Cringy enthusiasm at times.

Shaq is rich and has a family.  It wouldn’t surprise me if he decided what in truth would be a wise long term decision for his health.

I’m not saying that’s going to happen for sure, but regardless, Shaq has and will continue to struggle to stay healthy IMO at his size, especially playing in a one gap D taking more blockers and ball carriers head on rather than angle tackling behind 2 gapping linemen holding up blockers and causing ball carriers to run at angles.

7 minutes ago, lollygagger8 said:

Man, the accuracy from Matty Ice on these throws is incredible 

I'm rooting for Verity to win the kicking competition. I think we can do a lot better than Hot Rod

I hope verity is The Truth.  No doubt that should be his nickname if it’s not already.

18 minutes ago, Nickster said:

Well many of his words haven’t matched that IMO.  Considered quitting with 2nd year.  Fell out of love last year.

now he’s rich as hell.  Other guys are reconsidering putting their bodies through the insanity that is the NFL.  Culture shifts since our day East.  I think we are the same age.  I bet you remember like I do the power of the legend of Jim Brown “quitting”.  Hell he was in the league 8 or 9 years in reality which is way above average.  But the narrative is that he gave up his career for Hollywood when in reality he as tired of getting torn up and battered. 

you seem to think that AL can’t be compared to Shaq I guess cause he’s white, his dad wasn’t poor, and he seems more educated, but to me they played the game similarly.  Luck was ate up for a QB.  Nuts.  Wild.  Cringy enthusiasm at times.

Shaq is rich and has a family.  It wouldn’t surprise me if he decided what in truth would be a wise long term decision for his health.

I’m not saying that’s going to happen for sure, but regardless, Shaq has and will continue to struggle to stay healthy IMO at his size, especially playing in a one gap D taking more blockers and ball carriers head on rather than angle tackling behind 2 gapping linemen holding up blockers and causing ball carriers to run at angles.

Not about color. 

It's about the Leonard. I think he enjoys the fight.

If he wants to be rich, no need to have back surgery. 

22 minutes ago, Nickster said:

Every year this team goes through eerily similar injury/surgery/recovery scenarios. Peyton..Luck..Q...Wentz....etc. I agree this is similar to the Luck fiasco.

13 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Not about color. 

It's about the Leonard. I think he enjoys the fight.

If he wants to be rich, no need to have back surgery. 

Well there was never I guess any reason for Luck to play at all right?  His dad had money, he could earn money.  

Maybe they had trouble with the diagnosis but our season ended in December and he had surgery in June.  Seems pretty Luckish to me .  Maybe not .

Luck sure seemed to love to play football to me and he said so on several occasions.  
I personally see parallels for the two men’s situations.  Doesn’t mean the outcome is the same.  But just because Luck was raised in relative privilege and has a very high IQ doesn’t mean he’s totally different than someone from a different background in the way he views his future. 

3 minutes ago, Nickster said:

Well there was never I guess any reason for Luck to play at all right?  His dad had money, he could earn money.  

Maybe they had trouble with the diagnosis but our season ended in December and he had surgery in June.  Seems pretty Luckish to me .  Maybe not .

Luck sure seemed to love to play football to me and he said so on several occasions.  
I personally see parallels for the two men’s situations.  Doesn’t mean the outcome is the same.  But just because Luck was raised in relative privilege and has a very high IQ doesn’t mean he’s totally different than someone from a different background in the way he views his future. 

Everyone comes from different beginnings. 

Rich or poor, some have different fight in them. 

Money does change some folks. 

Personally I don't see it killing the fight in Leonard. 

4 hours ago, EastStreet said:

Everyone comes from different beginnings. 

Rich or poor, some have different fight in them. 

Money does change some folks. 

Personally I don't see it killing the fight in Leonard. 

Reading quotes from Leonard throughout the years, i don't think he is driven by money either.  I think he wants to be known as the best linebacker to every play the game.  Lofty expectations but i know he's said it before.  

He also has that underdog or underappreciated chip on his shoulder.

I don't see him retiring until he can't do it anymore.

On 8/9/2022 at 12:31 PM, Fluke_33 said:

Reading quotes from Leonard throughout the years, i don't think he is driven by money either.  I think he wants to be known as the best linebacker to every play the game.  Lofty expectations but i know he's said it before.  

He also has that underdog or underappreciated chip on his shoulder.

I don't see him retiring until he can't do it anymore.

Yup. I think he likes money though lol. Nothing wrong with that.

There's just always been some attitude in him, and he doesn't hide it. Stays true to himself and his roots.

I like that.  My favorite player on D because of it. 

Archived