Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Sam Ehlinger

Bert Johns

1 hour ago, EastStreet said:

I disagree to an extent on some.

Tannehill blew up his senior year at ATM. He's also prototypical size, was graded high, and a top 10 pick. 

Cutler also took a huge step his senior year. And was an early 1st round pick. Also prototypical size. Never cared for him though when drafted or in the NFL.

Cousins is a bit closer to Sam in some ways (multi year starter, intangibles, etc.), but he's also more prototypical size wise than Sam. He was also seen as a game manager QB in college (coming from Sparty), which I think was more MSU scheme than Cousins. He is though a good example of a later round pick that outperformed. But he also had the higher ceiling in terms of traits and measurables.

Cassell's situation is a one in a million type thing. Sat behind 2 Heisman Trophy winners (and early draft picks IIRC)  his entire career at USC, taken super late in the draft, etc.. He was a pure blind dart throw lol. 

Like I said, they are all debatable for one reason or another. That goes to the college assessment of average as well.

I will just do a brief retort.

1. Tannehill - he had a pretty average senior year. 61% comp 29tds 15ints 133.2rating(which isn't that good in college)(would be tied for 83rd this year and was 58th in 2011)

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/ryan-tannehill-1.html

2. Cutler had a pretty average senior year as well. 59% comp 21tds 9ints 126.1rating(99th this year, 59th or 60th in 2005)

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/jay-cutler-1.html

3. I'm not really comparing any of these guys to Sam. This was in response to the post about Peyton, Big Ben and others being average qbs.

4. Yeah Cassell is a whole other thing, but again this isn't about being a late round flyer or dart throw. I simply decided to go back through QBs drafted since 2000, find ones that I felt were average QBs in college, but had some success in the NFL. 

All debatable. I personally only came up with 4 over 18-20 years. Didn't really include younger guys yet. Last 3-4 years. Still have time to write their story.

Daniel Jones fits the bill on younger guys. 

I know stats don't tell it all, or half of it most the time. 

I feel good about my list though.

Just now, w87r said:

Like I said, they are all debatable for one reason or another. That goes to the college assessment of average as well.

I will just do a brief retort.

1. Tannehill - he had a pretty average senior year. 61% comp 29tds 15ints 133.2rating(which isn't that good in college)(would be tied for 83rd this year and was 58th in 2011)

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/ryan-tannehill-1.html

2. Cutler had a pretty average senior year as well. 59% comp 21tds 9ints 126.1rating(99th this year, had trouble finding 2005 ratings)

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/jay-cutler-1.html

3. I'm not really comparing any of these guys to Sam. This was in response to the post about Peyton, Big Ben and others being average qbs.

4. Yeah Cassell is a whole other thing, but again this isn't about being a late round flyer or dart throw. I simply decided to go back through QBs drafted since 2000, find ones that I felt were average QBs in college, but had some success in the NFL. 

All debatable. I personally only came up with 4 over 18-20 years. Didn't really include younger guys yet. Last 3-4 years. Still have time to write their story.

Daniel Jones fits the bill on younger guys. 

I know stats don't tell it all, or half of it most the time. 

I feel good about my list though.

Oh I definitely understand your list as to the question. Just never agreed with the previous line of debate or point. All those guys that you listed have prototypical size and better QB traits than Sam, which I simply can't disregard on the topic. 

Size/speed wise, I'd say Drew Brees might be a better comp. Late 2Rer (still way ahead of Sam), but doesn't fit the mediocre college career comp part. He had several years of great production. Folks just doubted him due to size. Aside from intangibles, Sam is just fighting a steep uphill battle. Great kid though. Would love to see him find a role. 

25 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Oh I definitely understand your list as to the question. Just never agreed with the previous line of debate or point. All those guys that you listed have prototypical size and better QB traits than Sam, which I simply can't disregard on the topic. 

Size/speed wise, I'd say Drew Brees might be a better comp. Late 2Rer (still way ahead of Sam), but doesn't fit the mediocre college career comp part. He had several years of great production. Folks just doubted him due to size. Aside from intangibles, Sam is just fighting a steep uphill battle. Great kid though. Would love to see him find a role. 

At no point in that post was I comparing any of those guys to Sam. It was about QBs, that I felt were average in college and had some success in the NFL. After Peyton, Brees, Big Ben, Mahomes and more were listed as average in post.

Yes they(Cutler, Tannehill) had prototypical size and traits, that's why they were drafted where they were. Doesn't make their college careers anymore above average than they were, just increased their draft spot. Which isn't part of any reasoning of my post. I went through every qb every round(2000), didn't matter to me where they were drafted. Just if I thought they were average in college and had success in the NFL.

Brees was 1st pick in 2nd round, doesn't really matter where he was drafted. Yes he has similar measurables, college production but my post was in response to brees being called average in college, which you have addressed there as well. Not about him being a good comparable to Sam.

Hope but nothing but the best for Sam, whether here or there. Hopefully here on PS for couple season? Definitely a great guy.

Appreciate the interaction. 

8 minutes ago, w87r said:

At no point in that post was I comparing any of those guys to Sam. It was about QBs, that I felt were average in college and had some success in the NFL. After Peyton, Brees, Big Ben, Mahomes and more were listed as average in post.

Yes they(Cutler, Tannehill) had prototypical size and traits, that's why they were drafted where they were. Doesn't make their college careers anymore above average than they were, just increased their draft spot. Which isn't part of any reasoning of my post. I went through every qb every round(2000), didn't matter to me where they were drafted. Just if I thought they were average in college and had success in the NFL.

Brees was 1st pick in 2nd round, doesn't really matter where he was drafted. Yes he has similar measurables, college production but my post was in response to brees being called average in college, which you have addressed there as well. Not about him being a good comparable to Sam.

Hope but nothing but the best for Sam, whether here or there. Hopefully here on PS for couple season? Definitely a great guy.

Appreciate the interaction. 

I get that you're not comparing to Sam. But it's the Sam thread :-), and the original point was about Sam having a good chance due to "many" others like him that succeeded. That was not your post, or your later point (I get that). I'm just tying things together for the original point. 

6 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

I get that you're not comparing to Sam. But it's the Sam thread :-), and the original point was about Sam having a good chance due to "many" others like him that succeeded. That was not your post, or your later point (I get that). I'm just tying things together for the original point. 

Appreciate you trying to tie it back in. Wasn't to far off track, just small little side note(s).

The original point was wrong in it's talking points, that's why it needed addressed with some actual examples.

1. I don't think Sam was average, he was definitely better than that, IMO.

2. As has been said, every player listed in that post was definitely not average. Good to great to quote someone from earlier..? 

To tie it back to Sam again, it's just unfortunate for him at the moment. Bad timing. If we never traded for Ryan, he would have had a decent chance of making the 53. Foles put nail in coffin. He will be a great teammate competing on PS.

6 minutes ago, w87r said:

Appreciate you trying to tie it back in. Wasn't to far off track, just small little side note(s).

The original point was wrong in it's talking points, that's why it needed addressed with some actual examples.

1. I don't think Sam was average, he was definitely better than that, IMO.

2. As has been said, every player listed in that post was definitely not average. Good to great to quote someone from earlier..? 

To tie it back to Sam again, it's just unfortunate for him at the moment. Bad timing. If we never traded for Ryan, he would have had a decent chance of making the 53. Foles put nail in coffin. He will be a great teammate competing on PS.

Yup, I think we disagree to an extent in starting assumptions. The term average is of course relative. If we're looking at total college football, I'd say he's obviously above average. If we're looking at a more limited group of P5 or the few other competitive teams, I think average is a fair word. I'm a huge ND fan, and Sam to me is a lot like Ian Book. Both had productive careers, but neither really came in a big time recruit, or really wowed folks consistently. And his last two seasons had duds vs OK. I think both he and Book were severely limited in a lot of ways, but both were terrific kids with great intangibles. After a pretty good 1st season, Sam just never took a big step forward. 

And I agree, horrible timing for him. But IMO it would be tough for him to find a QB2 spot on any of the top 16 teams. I'll cheer for him though to find a role though. 

12 hours ago, Shadow_Creek said:

Say what you want but if Sam were the starting QB right now of the Dolphins, Rams or even Bucs they would be Super Bowl bound...id put every penny on it...

Respectfully

I think you may have Sam E. ranked higher than he is.

The Colts are bought in on Ryan and Foles as their QB for the next 2-3 years

If it were me, I would take a QB in this years draft, as it appears to be a very strong class

Let them develop, and learn from the two ahead of them

Archived