Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Sam Ehlinger

Bert Johns

4 minutes ago, Bert Johns said:

What is going on with this young man. Are the Colts doing as always draft him and never give him a look? Yes we have Matt Ryan and Nick Foles i know being in Virginia Beach Colts camp news is non existent. 

I think the reality of the situation is that the Colts are okay with letting average or close to average QBs sit on the bench. Out of 100 rating scale I'd have Sam at about a 68. I think he can do some things in the short and intermediate area based on arm talent. The truth is that he clearly still need development when it comes to decision making and overall awareness. It seems that due to having Peyton --> Luck the organization is really focused on having a franchise type of QB at the helm, and can do away with likes of Brissett and similarly talented players. So in the end, I don't think they are taking anything away from Sam, rather they are giving opportunity to a proven commodity. If they let Sam play there is a chance he develops into a moderately average QB. I don't think anyone forecasts that he will be in the top 16 of QBs. Due to this, they rather just let him, being a later draft pick, develop and add depth and competition to the roster. This includes the receivers and defensive backs that are battling at the tail end of the roster. So it's not like his prescense is being wasted. I suspect we see him in the preseason, and that he could eventually be traded if he truly does become a good backup quarterback. Anyways, the idea he is being wasted is nonsense. 

He was drafted in the sixth round.  The hopes were he could be back up one day.  That could still happen.  Hoping for more was extremely unrealistic.  Yes I know Brady was a sixth round pick but was so Curtis Painter.  The vast majority of sixth round QBs are closer to Painter than they are Brady.

I believe players get their “look “ every day in practice. Just because you are on the team doesn’t mean you automatically get a shot running the first team. Your work in training camp determines the level and starting time you get. 

20 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Sam was always a long shot, even as a backup. 

Great kid, but doesn't have the ceiling. 

how can you say that after sam was only a rookie last year? lets at least see what he has learned over the corse of 1 year under his belt i mean shoot yall were crowning Eason last year and he never once threw a pass in 2020 as a rookie

7 minutes ago, Shadow_Creek said:

how can you say that after sam was only a rookie last year? lets at least see what he has learned over the corse of 1 year under his belt i mean shoot yall were crowning Eason last year and he never once threw a pass in 2020 as a rookie

I can say that because I watch a ton of college football. And I saw three years of Sam playing. 

Sam was a good college QB, not great. Great intangibles though. Absolutely great kid. 

Doesn't have prototypical size, and doesn't have the speed to make up for the lack of size (like some small QBs do).

His arm talent is average. 

BTW, I never crowned Eason. But Eason had a higher ceiling, and much less tape, so it's fair that people thought he might have room to develop. 

2 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

I can say that because I watch a ton of college football. And I saw three years of Sam playing. 

Sam was a good college QB, not great. Great intangibles though. Absolutely great kid. 

Doesn't have prototypical size, and doesn't have the speed to make up for the lack of size (like some small QBs do).

His arm talent is average. 

BTW, I never crowned Eason. But Eason had a higher ceiling, and much less tape, so it's fair that people thought he might have room to develop. 

dosen't matter what he did in college many Qb's look poor in college and turn it around in the NFL happens all the time.. Sam just needs to be given the chance

36 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Sam was always a long shot, even as a backup. 

Great kid, but doesn't have the ceiling. 

43 minutes ago, CR91 said:

Sam will probably play most of the preseason, but don't overlook Jack Coan.

My thoughts exactly. I like Sam a lot. But, he’s closer to losing his spot to Coan than he is to becoming the backup. Coan has a big arm & is a better prospect IMO.

People get too excited about mid-round to late round QB’s around here. Ehlinger would not even likely make another team’s active roster if he were cut at the end of camp IMO.

10 minutes ago, Shadow_Creek said:

dosen't matter what he did in college many Qb's look poor in college and turn it around in the NFL happens all the time.. Sam just needs to be given the chance

Can you share a list of the many poor college QBs that turned it around in the NFL who were 6-1 and 4.8s speed.

He's got a chance right now. 

16 minutes ago, Colts1324 said:

My thoughts exactly. I like Sam a lot. But, he’s closer to losing his spot to Coan than he is to becoming the backup. Coan has a big arm & is a better prospect IMO.

People get too excited about mid-round to late round QB’s around here. Ehlinger would not even likely make another team’s active roster if he were cut at the end of camp IMO.

Agreed. I'm not all that high on Coan's chances (I'm and ND fan and watched him play last year, and previous years with Wiscy), but I'd take Coan long term over Sam in terms of backup material. Sam's an absolutely great kid. He's just got a low ceiling. I don't see him growing or getting faster lol. And just never saw arm talent development over his 3 years as starter in college. 

2 hours ago, Shadow_Creek said:

Sixth round draft picks turning into franchise QBs doesn’t happen all the time.  In fact it’s happened once in the past 30 some years.  Brady that’s it.  The vast majority of the others are much closer to Curtis Painter (also a sixth round pick) than Brady.  

Need further proof?  Of the 32 starters at QB this year six weren’t drafted in the first round.  The numbers don’t lie.  You find starters, let a lone franchise guys, at QB in the first round, and normally high in round one.

2 hours ago, Colts1324 said:

I don’t know losing his spot to Coan but I do think both are long shots to make the final roster at this point in time.  

On any given team, the 3rd and 4th string guys are fighting for table scraps.   

But this year on the Colts, it should be even harder to take care of our 3/4.    Because both our 1st and 2nd string are new to the team and the playbook.   So both Ryan and Foles need every rep they can get.   They won’t be giving up any of theirs.   

So Ehlinger and Coan are going to have to make the best of a difficult situation.   It may not be fair, but in carefully scripted practices there's only so much to go around. 

Third QB is the developmental dude who has to show well vs the other bubble players for the final cut down to keep his job.  Show enough and you get a roster spot because the team doesn't want to risk losing you.  Show poorly and you get cut and added to the PS if they still like your upside.

Also coaches are peculiar with third QBs as well.  Some don't like to keep them, others value them.  Then you have Belichick who was in his own universe in developing and flipping them to desperate and stupid teams for picks.  As an offensive coach Reich seems to favor that extra arm but I don't think that's gonna be enough to save Sam by itself.

Preseason should be his show though.  We have good times ahead watching him show what he can do.  I don't know about you guys but I love preseason and can't wait to see if he can read faster with that year under his belt.  I think if his reads are on point he'll get a gig.

Since both Matt Ryan and Nick Foles are veterans - with Super Bowl experience - it's unlikely Sam Ehlinger will get a lot of work with the first or second teams.

I believe the Colts will keep a third QB stashed on the practice squad - whether it is Sam Ehlinger OR the undrafted QB is the question at this point.

19 hours ago, Bert Johns said:

What is going on with this young man. Are the Colts doing as always draft him and never give him a look? Yes we have Matt Ryan and Nick Foles

I don't think he was ever thought of as a potential starting QB for us. Most 6th round QBs aren't. I think after Foles is gone in a season or 2, Sam will be our long-term backup.

19 hours ago, Bert Johns said:

being in Virginia Beach

Tom Hanks Hello GIF

- Fellow 757er

Sam was a better QB in college than Coan. And I like Coan. But don't write Sam off. His superpower is his competitive drive. He FINDS ways to win games. He did it in college and showed it last year in the preseason.

I'll wait to see how he plays in the preseason...

I am a transplant from Austin Texas and UT Longhorn football follower since 1994.

I have seen Sam play for four years at the University of Texas and here is what Chris Ballard saw in this kid:

1- I foresee Sam being our 4th down threat. He can run and throw on 4th and goal line option. 

2- He is really smart, intuitive and emotionally very strong. As a freshman he brought UTexas back in the 4Qtr in the Rose Bowl, after the starter was injured. Watch the tape on You Tube. When he runs he is under control and like Luck he has a linebacker body. 

3- When Chris Ballard says, he has the "it" factor I agree. 

I am anxiously waiting to see him play this preseason. 

9 minutes ago, twfish said:

I still wish we would have never drafted him and kept Eason. Sam may be a good guy, but im not a fan of his play style. Too many turnover worthy plays and doesnt go through his progressions.

I don’t think either is every going to make any kinda of positive difference on a NFL team.

21 hours ago, Shadow_Creek said:

He has been given the chance. He was the backup last year and the Colts felt they needed to go and sign an experienced backup. What he doesn’t get is playing time outside the preseason. The kid is more likely to be out of the nfl in 3-5 years than starting anywhere. Happens all the time to backups. 

This kid is going to be a coach somewhere.  Smart as can be but does not have the talent. 

21 hours ago, Shadow_Creek said:

Hey... I hate to disagree with a fellow Colts fan

I am sure it happens but I dont remember a single QB that looked poor in college in the past 15 years and turned it around in the NFL. The only one in the past 25 years that I can think of is Tom Brady, who was "so so" in College and then turned it around in the pros

The fact is the the vast majority of QBs that looked ' just good ' in college dont stick in the NFL

Round 1 is approx 30% for QBs that end up making the pro bowl 

I like Sam Ehlingers heart, but the Colts have seen the kid in practice and preseason, and STILL brought in Nick Foles

If he gets a chance this year, we are in deep do do

25 minutes ago, AwesomeAustin said:

He has been given the chance. He was the backup last year and the Colts felt they needed to go and sign an experienced backup. What he doesn’t get is playing time outside the preseason. The kid is more likely to be out of the nfl in 3-5 years than starting anywhere. Happens all the time to backups. 

This kid is going to be a coach somewhere.  Smart as can be but does not have the talent. 

i dont agree with that.. i like to believe just like relationships there's a coach and scheme for every QB out there its just a matter of who drafts you in the end that matters.. for example id like to think that Vince Young could have been good if some other team than the titans got him especially with the talent he had coming out of Texas..and then there's Matt Leniart who was Brady 2.0 in college but unfortunately got drafted by the Cards who didn't have a good scheme at the time..Either way both Qb's careers went down the drain but it makes you wonder had they gone to the right team who knows what could have been..

19 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

Hey... I hate to disagree with a fellow Colts fan

I am sure it happens but I dont remember a single QB that looked poor in college in the past 15 years and turned it around in the NFL. The only one in the past 25 years that I can think of is Tom Brady, who was "so so" in College and then turned it around in the pros

The fact is the the vast majority of QBs that looked ' just good ' in college dont stick in the NFL

Round 1 is approx 30% for QBs that end up making the pro bowl 

I like Sam Ehlingers heart, but the Colts have seen the kid in practice and preseason, and STILL brought in Nick Foles

If he gets a chance this year, we are in deep do do

when i say poor i'm refering to Qb's like you mentioned who were adverage in college but bloosmed in the NFL Mahomes, Ben, Aron Rogers, Drew Brees, heck even Peyton Manning.. but your right practice is a big deal..however i still cant wait to see what sam has learned over a year when he plays this preseason..

2 minutes ago, Shadow_Creek said:

i dont agree with that.. i like to believe just like relationships there's a coach and scheme for every QB out there its just a matter of who drafts you in the end that matters.. for example id like to think that Vince Young could have been good if some other team than the titans got him especially with the talent he had coming out of Texas..and then there's Matt Leniart who was Brady 2.0 in college but unfortunately got drafted by the Cards who didn't have a good scheme at the time..Either way both Qb's careers went down the drain but it makes you wonder had they gone to the right team who knows what could have been..

Possibly on those two.  They were also 1st round picks. We are talking about a 6th round undersized QB with limited arm strength. Scheme does have a lot to do with success but eventually talent will need be there as well. 

17 minutes ago, Shadow_Creek said:

I agree that it is vital to be in the correct system for your talent. Goes well beyond QB, that is why the NFL is such a system driven league. Players follow coaches, teams look for certain skill sets.

Truth be told, we are a good system for Sam.  However there just isn't a spot for him right now.  

17 minutes ago, Shadow_Creek said:

when i say poor i'm refering to Qb's like you mentioned who were adverage in college but bloosmed in the NFL Mahomes, Ben, Aron Rogers, Drew Brees, heck even Peyton Manning.. but your right practice is a big deal..however i still cant wait to see what sam has learned over a year when he plays this preseason..

Don't agree that any of those guys you listed above were "average" college QB's.

51 minutes ago, Shadow_Creek said:

Those guys were not “average” in college football.  They were all good to great in college.

Ryan Tannehill

Kick Cousins

Jay Cutler

Matt Cassell(didn't even start college game)

https://www.drafthistory.com/index.php/positions/qb

Since 2000(not including Brady), I would say those guy are who I would consider average college QBs to go be successful(or blossoming) in the league. There are a lot of average QBs drafted but most didn't pan out. 

Not a very big list. One where you can argue what the varying degrees of success are, for what being successful or blossoming in the league, actually means? Run on sentence......

For the record, I think Sam was a little above average QB in college. Good production, great leader. There is a reason Ballard drafted him, unfortunately for Sam, it just isn't his time. He is a guy with great character thoigh, so I don't think a couple years on PS will hurt him too much. Then re-examine things.

4 minutes ago, w87r said:

Ryan Tannehill

Kick Cousins

Jay Cutler

Matt Cassell(didn't even start college game)

https://www.drafthistory.com/index.php/positions/qb

Since 2000(not including Brady), I would say those guy are who I would consider average college QBs to go be successful(or blossoming) in the league. There are a lot of average QBs drafted but most didn't pan out. 

Not a very big list. One where you can argue what the varying degrees of success are, for what being successful or blossoming in the league, actually means? Run on sentence......

For the record, I think Sam was a little above average QB in college. Good production, great leader. There is a reason Ballard drafted him, unfortunately for Sam, it just isn't his time. He is a guy with great character thoigh, so I don't think a couple years on PS will hurt him too much. Then re-examine things.

I disagree to an extent on some.

Tannehill blew up his senior year at ATM. He's also prototypical size, was graded high, and a top 10 pick. 

Cutler also took a huge step his senior year. And was an early 1st round pick. Also prototypical size. Never cared for him though when drafted or in the NFL.

Cousins is a bit closer to Sam in some ways (multi year starter, intangibles, etc.), but he's also more prototypical size wise than Sam. He was also seen as a game manager QB in college (coming from Sparty), which I think was more MSU scheme than Cousins. He is though a good example of a later round pick that outperformed. But he also had the higher ceiling in terms of traits and measurables.

Cassell's situation is a one in a million type thing. Sat behind 2 Heisman Trophy winners (and early draft picks IIRC)  his entire career at USC, taken super late in the draft, etc.. He was a pure blind dart throw lol. 

Archived