Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Training camp day 7 August 7th

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

We have a great group of guys of here, I can't wait for the opener. I haven't been this excited since the 2009 season started because Matt Ryan is the real deal and we have a good roster. 

There were some people in here that actually wanted us to draft a QB and role with a rookie in a QB draft class that was MEH lmao . Some others wanted us to settle for Mariota, Trubisky, or Mayfield?? Had we done any of those things that would have been ridiculous with the roster we have, we are about winning,  Matt Ryan says hold my beer Homer Simpson Reaction GIF

I agree that Matt Ryan brings a level of excitement to this year but don’t forget Irsay’s jet was fueled and heading to pick up Winston when the news broke that we were trading for Ryan after Atlanta danced with the devil…..

I love the work our FO does BUT getting Matt Ryan was luck…..

Just now, Scott Pennock said:

I agree that Matt Ryan brings a level of excitement to this year but don’t forget Irsay’s jet was fueled and heading to pick up Winston when the news broke that we were trading for Ryan after Atlanta danced with the devil…..

Sometimes it is better to lucky than be good, I give you the Falcons "dancing with the devil". :thmup:

7 hours ago, Archer said:

I think Dulin is going to out-rep Pierce by a good margin at flanker early in the season.  We’ve heard way too much about Dulin stacking good days and way too much about Pierce’s drops.  Hopefully, by the end of the year Pierce will take over the starting flanker role…

I could see that. Pierce is what they want though.  He matches up with the legit #1 corners. He has the height and speed.

1 hour ago, Scott Pennock said:

You have to have good luck to be good in the NFL.  What’s key is putting yourself in position to have to good luck.  Since Ballard was patient and didn’t rush out to go get a QB just because he needed one like some here wanted him to do he ended up being able to capitalize when he had an opportunity.  Don’t you think Washington wishes they had been a little more patient and could have ended up with Ryan rather than Wentz probably for less? 

Looking back I was glad we got Ryan. I didn’t think Winston would be ready for offseason stuff. Turns out he was. Winston works his Butt off and the locker room loves him. But he would of been more of a risk. But with his age we might of ended up with the long term answer.  Ryan brings more accountability I think and more leadership where guys listen. Not sure Winston would of worked in the scheme that is quick like Reich likes to run.

Sometimes it’s better to be lucky than good!

37 minutes ago, CR91 said:

I would wait til we see some good action before making that assessment.

He's getting more 1st team reps than Woods. So not really a reach. I think Woods has yet to get a catch in 1st team 1on1s. 

Reich took the time to say some really good stuff about Ogletree, along the lines of how he showed advanced and ready to go. 

His comments on Woods were not necessarily bad, but not near as complimentary. He did say Woods was improving his blocks. 

13 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

He's getting more 1st team reps than Woods. So not really a reach. I think Woods has yet to get a catch in 1st team 1on1s. 

Reich took the time to say some really good stuff about Ogletree, along the lines of how he showed advanced and ready to go. 

His comments on Woods were not necessarily bad, but not near as complimentary. He did say Woods was improving his blocks. 

I don't put much stock in practice to evaluate players. You always get guys that shine in training camp and then become duds on game day. I'm not saying Olgetree can't jump woods, but I'd pump the brakes when we haven't seen either one actually play a game.

9 minutes ago, CR91 said:

I don't put much stock in practice to evaluate players. You always get guys that shine in training camp and then become duds on game day. I'm not saying Olgetree can't jump woods, but I'd pump the brakes when we haven't seen either one actually play a game.

I don't put all the eggs in the practice basket either. But all reports are that Woods is struggling with routes and hands. Ogletree on the other hand is getting praised for those things. For sure Woods can learn routes, so that's not death sentence or anything, but those things typically do have a strong impact to the depth chart. 

Overall, practice is just practice. Guys who practice well don't always translate to the game. But players who have bad practices, don't typically translate either. 

It'll be nice to see them both in action this weekend on the NFL Network! Pumped. Haven't been this excited for a preseason game in a while lol. 

13 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

I don’t think that’s likely.   That’s 26 players.  

Set aside 3 spots on a 53 for STs.   That leaves 50 spots left.   Most teams don’t put 26 on offense.   I’m not saying never.   But it doesn’t happen often.  

Because defense provides the majority of ST players, CB, S, and LBs.   And we all know the premium we place in STs. 

If you’re losing one I think it’s RB. 

Your math is off my friend.

18 hours ago, stitches said:

Gilmore might be Ballard's best FA acquisition ever. 

Long as he holds up.  We haven’t had many elite corners around here, or anyone even very good at all since Davis.

you can really do a lot of things defensively with a Gilmore that you can’t really do with Jags.

9 hours ago, Scott Pennock said:

So is Smith playing T.

Trading up for Taylor.

Trading a decent CB for a VG pass rusher.

Finding a sucker for Wentz.

This Lucky Draft.

Signing Gilmore.

Somebody taking Flus off our hands.

CB is rolling 7's.

10 hours ago, EastStreet said:

I didn't count. I just remember folks being surprised at the 27 last season. I'm sure you can find the final roster with a quick google.

I was not surprised given the injuries on the OL to start the season, Wentz's injuries, and the WR situation. 

But keeping 26 or even 27, on either side happens. 

Like I said, every year is different. We have different situations this season, so I expect different things. 

And we still have weeks to get through before cut down, so the current situation could easily change. 

Yeah just about everyone of our linemen was hurt.

8 hours ago, throwing BBZ said:

So is Smith playing T.

Trading up for Taylor.

Trading a decent CB for a VG pass rusher.

Finding a sucker for Wentz.

This Lucky Draft.

Signing Gilmore.

Somebody taking Flus off our hands.

CB is rolling 7's.

Are you being sarcastic? Or saying all of those things are pure luck as well? 

2 hours ago, LiveAndLetAddai said:

Oh, no need!  I have so much respect for you and I actually went back and counted, due to the respect.  You are the man!

:worthy:        You’re way too kind.   I flubbed a basic math problem.   I even went back and double checked and got it wrong.   Sometimes the wiring in my head goes funny.  
Drives me crazy!    Same when I do a simple misspell.    That REALLY makes me go insane!!    It’s not pretty when I do that.   But I try to be my harshest critic!    And so I give myself a Big Fat :facepalm: when I do that!

Doh!     :facepalm:

Archived