Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Chris Ballard and Frank Reich confident Matt Ryan can stop Colts’ QB carousel.

Bolt Colt

Chris Ballard and Frank Reich confident Matt Ryan can stop Colts’ QB carousel

The Colts believe they’ve finally found some consistency at quarterback.

Matt Ryan has stabilized the game’s most important position by improving the level of production and leadership at the offensive forefront. And since it appears Ryan will be doing it for at least a couple of years — he’s under contract through 2023 — the Colts should be able to generate some extended momentum, rather than seeking out a new starter in yet another offseason.

A very good read, check it out.

https://www.rojpadhen.com/chris-ballard-and-frank-reich-confident-matt-ryan-can-stop-colts-qb-carousel/

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Bolt Colt said:

I say take it year by year and keep watching out for the next best quarterback to fit the Colt's.

I think we keep Ryan at least the 2 years and make these next 2 season's SB or bust. Then in 2024, draft a QB in the 1st round. I think we can make the AFC Title Game this season, then in 2023 we could even be better and win the SB if we nail the offseason in 2023. If we go deep in 2023 we would picking low in round 1 but could still get a QB that could be potentially good picking last. Look where Lamar went? He went 32nd if I remember right in 2018 draft. There have been lots of QB's that have went late in round 1 or past round 1 that have been really good.

All I care about is 2022 as of now. Could we win the SB, yes, but almost everything would have to fall right. We would have to get the #1 seed, like Tennessee did last year, and have all of our key players near 100% healthy. Do I think making the AFC Title Game is a real possibility = YES. That is very attainable if our key players stay healthy. As of now teams that have better odds (Vegas odds) at making the SB in the AFC are:

Buffalo

KC

Chargers

Cincy

-having said that we are on even par with the Broncos, Raiders, Ravens. That is how deep the AFC is! We are barely favored over Tennessee to win the division and make the SB. The AFC West is loaded so hopefully they beat up on each other and we end up with a better record and a higher seed. 

To be fair, Ryan is more just slowing the carousel.  We'll have another QB in a couple years.  

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I think we keep Ryan at least the 2 years and make these next 2 season's SB or bust. Then in 2024, draft a QB in the 1st round. I think we can make the AFC Title Game this season, then in 2023 we could even be better and win the SB if we nail the offseason in 2023. If we go deep in 2023 we would picking low in round 1 but could still get a QB that could be potentially good picking last. Look where Lamar went? He went 32nd if I remember right in 2018 draft. There have been lots of QB's that have went late in round 1 or past round 1 that have been really good.

Unfortunately there have been more drafted there who were busts.  

1 minute ago, Myles said:

To be fair, Ryan is more just slowing the carousel.  We'll have another QB in a couple years.  

Unfortunately there have been more drafted there who were busts.  

Yeah but by then we will have to draft a QB that was my point. There have also been a lot of QB's that have been drafted in the top 10 that have been busts. The draft is a crap shoot. I can see us getting at least 2 good years out of Ryan so we definitely need be all in this year and in 2023 with Ryan. If we somehow get a SB win with Ryan, it would even be worth being bad for a year after Ryan retires.

20 minutes ago, Indyfan4life said:

Sure we do. He just won't be in the NFL for a few more years.

I think at least for the next 2 years we will win the division and could make a deep run. That is better than most teams can say :thmup:. Knowing we have a team that will be good, (maybe great) in 2022 and 2023 is fun for a fan. There are some fans of teams that know their season is already done going into 2022 lmao .

Pretty much teams IMO that have no chance of making the playoffs are:

1. Seahawks - I see them at 3-14, picking #1 in the draft. You go Pete!

2. Texans - I see them at 4-13

3. Falcons - I see them at 4-13, like the (Texans)

4. Lions - I see them at 5-12

5. Jets - I see them at 5-12, like the (Lions)

6. Giants - I see them at 6-11

7. Bears - I see them at 7-10

8. Panthers - I see them at 7-10, like the (Bears)

9. Commanders - I see them at 8-9

10. Jags - I see them at 8-9, like the (Commanders). Lawrence will be much improved but they aren't a playoff team.

-Imagine being a fan of those 10 teams, knowing your season is over before it begins lmao = Stinky teams!

Teams that could stink as well are the Browns and Steelers. If Watson doesn't play at all, they are really screwed unless they sign Jimmy G. I can see the Steelers at 8-9 too, their QB is very suspect. Not a Trubisky fan at all but Tomlin is a great coach.

I just named 12 teams that are on stink factor alert, that is 37.5% of the league. 

12 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I get the Arch Manning vibes. In order to get him we would need to be picking #1 in 2025, that is when he will probably turn pro. We win the SB with Matt Ryan in 2023, then he retires, then Tank for Arch in 2024 with a QB like Painter season 3 laughing GIF

He may not be able to turn pro until 2026 actually depending on NCAA rules - they could change, if that is the case. We keep Matt for 3 years, then tank in 2025, then in comes Arch The Simpsons GIF by KiwiGo (KGO)

15 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I get the Arch Manning vibes. In order to get him we would need to be picking #1 in 2025, that is when he will probably turn pro. We win the SB with Matt Ryan in 2023, then he retires, then Tank for Arch in 2024 with a QB like Painter season 3 laughing GIF

He's only 37 so maybe we can get him to come out of retirement.  :D

6 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

In two years we could trade for another veteran quarterback again.  After the successful Stafford trade the Wilson, Watson, and Ryan trades opened up a whole new road to try and get the Super Bowl.  Heck you can throw Wentz in there too.  So much could happen.

It would be nice if Indy could solidify themselves as a preferred team for good aging QB's.   

This is kind of an insanity. For how many years? For one? Two? Ballard and Reich really * me off sometimes. 

And I knew this was coming too. We will miss on yet another great QB class because of a QB in his late 30s, who's not good enough anymore to get us to the promised land... At this point, unless Ryan is completely washed, I don't expect us to be drafting a QB high in 2023.

14 minutes ago, stitches said:

This is kind of an insanity. For how many years? For one? Two? Ballard and Reich really * me off sometimes. 

And I knew this was coming too. We will miss on yet another great QB class because of a QB in his late 30s, who's not good enough anymore to get us to the promised land... At this point, unless Ryan is completely washed, I don't expect us to be drafting a QB high in 2023.

The idea that they expect Matt Ryan to be the starter for two years in a row is an insanity? 

21 minutes ago, stitches said:

Everybody is entitled to their opinion but I couldn’t disagree more. 
  It sounds like you’re putting Ryan in the same class as Wentz but the evidence so far is; he is taking control of this team, is accurate, can make all the throws, is quick to make the right decision, is well respected by his teammates and has a desire to play for longer than 2 years.

Nothing is guaranteed but getting Ryan was fortunate and gives us a good chance to win a SB, before he retires.

1 hour ago, Superman said:

The idea that they expect Matt Ryan to be the starter for two years in a row is an insanity? 

The idea that the QB carousel ends with Matt Ryan. He's not at an age where you can afford to rely on him anywhere past the current season he's committed to.

I'm not against him being our QB in 2023. I'm against us not pursuing our QB of the future because we have Matt Ryan under contract for 2023.

1 hour ago, coltsfeva said:

Everybody is entitled to their opinion but I couldn’t disagree more. 
  It sounds like you’re putting Ryan in the same class as Wentz but the evidence so far is; he is taking control of this team, is accurate, can make all the throws, is quick to make the right decision, is well respected by his teammates and has a desire to play for longer than 2 years.

Nothing is guaranteed but getting Ryan was fortunate and gives us a good chance to win a SB, before he retires.

No, I'm putting him in the same category as Rivers... if Rivers committed to one more year. I see it the exact same way and that's what my "insanity" comment was in relation to. Because we are about to do the exact same thing. We should have drafted our QB of the future when we got Rivers. We didn't. We did the same this year and we will do the same next year. 

5 minutes ago, stitches said:

The idea that the QB carousel ends with Matt Ryan. He's not at an age where you can afford to rely on him anywhere past the current season he's committed to.

I'm not against him being our QB in 2023. I'm against us not pursuing our QB of the future because we have Matt Ryan under contract for 2023.

Well don't read too much into a sensationalized headline. The "QB carousel" referred to is the pattern of having a different starting QB each year. If Matt Ryan stays in 2023, which I think we all hope he does at this point, then that pattern is broken, which would be a good thing. But, like Myles said above, it's more like slowing the carousel for a year or two. Still need to find the right guy to hand the keys to for the extended future.

6 minutes ago, Superman said:

Well don't read too much into a sensationalized headline. The "QB carousel" referred to is the pattern of having a different starting QB each year. If Matt Ryan stays in 2023, which I think we all hope he does at this point, then that pattern is broken, which would be a good thing. But, like Myles said above, it's more like slowing the carousel for a year or two. Still need to find the right guy to hand the keys to for the extended future.

For me the QB carousel is on until you have a long-term solution at QB. Now whether you manage to convince yourself and Ryan to play for 1-2-3 more years... it doesn't really matter - everybody knows this is a short-term arrangement. Because everybody knows there is an expiration date on him and it's coming... and the closer we get to that expiration date the worse he will likely be playing and the less likely he will be to get us to a SB.

Our best chance at a SB with Ryan is this year! Every following year IMO the chance will be lower and lower(assuming normal drafting).

2 minutes ago, stitches said:

For me the QB carousel is on until you have a long-term solution at QB. Now whether you manage to convince yourself and Ryan to play for 1-2-3 more years... it doesn't really matter - everybody knows this is a short-term arrangement. Because everybody knows there is an expiration date on him and it's coming... and the closer we get to that expiration date the worse he will likely be playing and the less likely he will be to get us to a SB.

That's a fair perspective and until we have that guy, the team isn't complete, IMO. But in the context of this article, I'm pretty sure the discussion is about not having a new QB every year.

I'm assuming the brain trust knows they need the next guy, but the strategies have been so all over the place that I don't know what they intend to do about it. I assume they won't just roll out a mediocre and aging Matt Ryan without doing something to find a long term QB. 

3 hours ago, stitches said:

It’s my guess that this post is not going to age well.    About the only thing to agree with us that we won’t use a high luck on a quarterback in 23.   Honestly I don’t think we will draft one with any pick.  

But I think everything could change in ‘24.  That’s when I think we get serious about finding our long term replacement.  And that could get bumped to ‘25, depending on how the years play out.  

39 minutes ago, csmopar said:

And he’s got himself some competition as far as top QB recruit in all of college football. Now would Irsay sell the farm to trade up to get little Manning?

If his career goes as expected, he'll be in the 2026 draft. 

Hard telling where he ends up in the NFL. Broncos and Saints I'm sure we'll get zillion mentions. 

At the end of the day, Ryan is the man for the next two years. On top of that, the team is in win now mode, otherwise they wouldn't have brought Ryan in. I guarantee that the front office is expecting to make the playoffs for the new two seasons.

If either of the next two seasons ends in a Superbowl win, then I wouldn't be a bit surprised to see Ryan get a new 2-3 year contract extension. I also wouldn't expect to be spending a high pick on a QB until 2025 at the earliest.

If, however, there is no Superbowl win over the next two years, I'd expect for the Colts to let Ryan walk, and begin a more earnest search for a new, long term, franchise QB.

I expect to see Ryan playing his best ball over the next two seasons; He has something to prove. He was never able to get it done in Atlanta, and there's a lot of conjecture about whether the problem was Ryan or the Falcons. My money is on the problem being the Falcons.

Chris is trying to build a winning team for every year going forward.....regardless of who is under center. What is the percentage again on 1st round qb success as far as winning a SB with them? Considering the Colts circumstances since he took over this franchise, he has worked the system in the path he thinks best. One can certainly imagine a path or two he could have taken (hindsight) that may have put the team in better circumstances than they currently are regarding QB, but I can imagine dozens of paths he could have taken that would put the Colts far worse than they are right now.

Love getting Ryan, love how the GM and coach are handling the team. Looking forward to the season of winning with good character players. 

51 minutes ago, Four2itus said:

Chris is trying to build a winning team for every year going forward.....regardless of who is under center. What is the percentage again on 1st round qb success as far as winning a SB with them? Considering the Colts circumstances since he took over this franchise, he has worked the system in the path he thinks best. One can certainly imagine a path or two he could have taken (hindsight) that may have put the team in better circumstances than they currently are regarding QB, but I can imagine dozens of paths he could have taken that would put the Colts far worse than they are right now.

Love getting Ryan, love how the GM and coach are handling the team. Looking forward to the season of winning with good character players. 

I'm happy with Ballard overall. 

I love the fact we lucked out getting Ryan. Couldn't really have asked for anything better given the timing.

Tired of the musical chairs though.

And... Tired of conservative O scheme and bend don't break D. Hopefully we see different this season. 

33 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

I'm happy with Ballard overall. 

I love the fact we lucked out getting Ryan. Couldn't really have asked for anything better given the timing.

Tired of the musical chairs though.

And... Tired of conservative O scheme and bend don't break D. Hopefully we see different this season. 

I think we see a more aggressive defense this year. I also think Frank will be more comfortable giving Ryan plays that have inherent risk. Gotta assume that at some point Reich started calling plays that were less likely for Wentz to ruin. 

8 minutes ago, AustinnKaine said:

I think we see a more aggressive defense this year. I also think Frank will be more comfortable giving Ryan plays that have inherent risk. Gotta assume that at some point Reich started calling plays that were less likely for Wentz to ruin. 

The D will be interesting to watch. We should get more pressure going to a more 1 gap attack. Defo was a bit wasted in Flus's scheme. Now he can pin his ears back. And with having a legit ER, teams will have a hard time picking their poison. The new scheme impacts to LB and DB are still a bit of a mystery to me. Not sure what to think. Love adding Gimore though. 

I think Ryan will be like Luck and Peyton. He's gonna do what he wants to do lol, regardless of play call. And I'm happy about that. 

11 hours ago, richard pallo said:

In two years we could trade for another veteran quarterback again.  After the successful Stafford trade the Wilson, Watson, and Ryan trades opened up a whole new road to try and get the Super Bowl.  Heck you can throw Wentz in there too.  So much could happen.

Something no one thinks of and I hope no one shoots me for saying this. Yep if Ryan plays two more years and retires Foles is I think 3 or 4 years younger. We could just sign him again for a few years. 

2 minutes ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

Something no one thinks of and I hope no one shoots me for saying this. Yep if Ryan plays two more years and retires Foles is I think 3 or 4 years younger. We could just sign him again for a few years. 

Folks likely think of it, they just throw up a little in their mouth when they do. 

33 minutes ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

Im not sure of your meaning….    So I’ll try to say this as simply and straightforward as I can… .

Hypothetically, if Ryan only plays 2 years, we might indeed want to re-sign Foles for 2 more years after that. 

But….  

We’d only be signing Foles to continue to be our backup.    We would NOT be signing him to be our starter.    100 percent.   

Archived