Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

2022 Camp Summary: Week 2 Day 2 (Aug3)

EastStreet

The Fan's summary with some comments. Hopefully SI does their 1on1 break down again, and I'll post later if they do. It was really good (posted in yesterday's summary).

https://www.1075thefan.com/kevins-sports-news/colts/day-5-colts-training-camp-notebook-michael-pittman-rodney-mcleod-get-into-first-camp-skirmish/

• Wednesday was a little more run-centric, with some short-yardage periods sprinkled into the steamy 90-minute practice.
    • Saw another report saying that the focus was on run and TE. Bad time for Mo to be limited lol. 
    • Granson made the best of his added time. Best day I've seen from him by far this off season. 
    • Dulin with the play of the day, stealing a would be INT from Rodgers. 
  • Matt Ryan finished Wednesday afternoon 7-of-9 with completions to the following guys: Kylen Granson (4), Michael Pittman (2), Alec Pierce. It was a lot of first and second down work for the offense, with a passing game mostly in the underneath department. Through 5 practices, Ryan is 34-of-47 in the full teamwork. Ryan’s completed his passes to the following guys: Michael Pittman (9), Mo Alie-Cox (5), Kylen Granson (5), Jonathan Taylor (4), Parris Campbell (4), Nyheim Hines (3), Alec Pierce (2), Ashton Dulin (1), Dezmon Patmon (1).
  • The best play of camp (5 practices in) came late on Wednesday’s practice. It was Nick Foles taking a deep shot to a very well-covered Ashton Dulin. Despite Isaiah Rodgers seemingly in the perfect position to force an incompletion, Dulin dove over Rodgers to secure the highlight catch. Even Rodgers had to throw Dulin a high-five after the big-time play. Whereas Dulin’s roster spot wasn’t a slam dunk in prior camps, he looks to be pretty darn secure on this 53-man roster.
  • Kylen Granson needed the day he had on Wednesday. Granson had 4 catches on Wednesday. Entering Wednesday, he had only made 1 catch with the starters in the first four practices. It was a tough spring for Granson catching the football, but Frank Reich said he’s bounced back nicely in Grand Park. Unlike the other tight ends on the roster, Granson is a different body type/skill set from the others. The Colts need him.
  • While the starting battles on the offensive line have remained with Matt Pryor at left tackle and Danny Pinter at right guard, we saw a switch with the starting safety. It was veteran Rodney McLeod (123 career starts) getting a shot with the starters, next to Julian Blackmon. Up to this point, with McLeod still working his way back to 100 percent from summer knee surgery, it’s been rookie Nick Cross running with the first unit.
  • We had our first real skirmish of training camp on Wednesday! To no surprise, it involved Michael Pittman. Following an engaged block by Pittman and veteran safety Rodney McLeod, the two traded several blows before the fight was broken up. As Frank Reich said after practice, Pittman plays with an edge, and that’s what makes him a unique player at wideout. Of course, not crossing that line post-whistle (like last year’s New England ejection) is the challenge. As I’ve said many times, there’s zero ‘USC pretty boy’ to how Pittman plays the game of football.
  • Speaking of Pittman, he has such strong hands in bringing the ball in. That was on display Wednesday when he caught a ball over the middle, away from his body, while Stephon Gilmore was hitting No. 11. Some guys at 6-4 and 220 pounds don’t play to their full size. Pittman does.
  • Linebacker Bobby Okereke continues to have a nice camp in coverage. In a contract year, Okereke might be the most deserving Colts 2019 draft pick for a second contract. But do the Colts have room for long-term linebacker contracts for 3 guys in Shaquille Leonard, Zaire Franklin and Okereke?
  • On the Leonard front, Frank Reich said on Wednesday there’s nothing imminent on his return to practice. So, based off that, it’s likely, we will get to mid-to-late August before Leonard hits the practice field at Grand Park. Is Leonard definitely going to be ready for Week 1?
  • As the Colts transition into Week 2 of training camp, the continued installation of plays is ending. The Colts are about to enter the phase where they trim some of the playbook and narrow in on the stuff they really like and want to run on a frequent basis this fall. Frank Reich and Matt Ryan dove into some of that process on Tuesday night. Reich said other leaders on the team will have input in this phase of camp.
  • Even though the full pads were not on Wednesday, the pass rushers brought some frequent disruption. It was Yannick Ngakoue beating Matt Pryor off the edge a couple of times, Ben Bangou got involved in second-team work and Ifeadi Odnigbo had his moments with the third stringers. Ngakoue has given the Colts an edge presence they’ve really lacked.
  • Here is how the starting offense looked on Wednesday: QB-Matt Ryan, RB-Jonathan Taylor, RB-Nyheim Hines, WR-Michael Pittman, WR-Parris Campbell, TE-Kylen Granson, LT-Matt Pryor, LG-Quenton Nelson, C-Ryan Kelly, RG-Danny Pinter, RT, Braden Smith.
    • Hoping we get SI's breakdown on OL vs DL, but saw a few tweets of Raimann and Ngakoue, and Pryor and Ngakoue trading wins (toss up). 
  • Here is how the starting defense looked on Wednesday: DE-Yannick Ngakoue, DT-Grover Stewart, DT-DeForest Buckner (limited), DE-Kwity Paye, LB-Zaire Franklin, LB-Bobby Okereke, CB-Kenny Moore, CB-Brandon Facyson, CB-Stephon Gilmore, S-Julian Blackmon, S-Rodney McLeod.
  • Guys that stood out at Wednesday’s practice for a variety of reasons: CB-Anthony Chesley, S-Julian Blackmon, WR-Ashton Dulin, TE-Kylen Granson, DE-Yannick Ngakoue, DE-Ben Banogu
  • Injury Report: The following players remain on the PUP or non-football injury list: LB-Shaquille Leonard (knee), WR-Mike Strachan (knee). The following players also did not practice on Wednesday: DT-Chris Williams (left foot in a boot), OT-Dennis Kelly (knee), WR-DeMichael Harris (undisclosed), RB-D’Vonte Price (undisclosed), LB-Forrest Rhyne (undisclosed). Cornerback Alex Myres left practice near the end. The Colts are still easing DL-Tyquan Lewis (knee) and S-Rodney McLeod (knee) back into team reps.
  • Weekly Camp Schedule
    • -Thursday: 12:00 – 1:45 Practice
    • -Friday: Off day
    • -Saturday: Off day
    • -Sunday: 12:00 – 1:30 Practice
    • -Monday: 12:00 – 1:45 Practice
    • -Tuesday: Off day
    • -Wednesday: 12:00 -1:30 Practice

19 minutes ago, JediXMan said:

Dulin season.

Happy Pumped Up GIF by Universal Pictures Home Entertainment

Yup. Stoked for the dude. Love the "that's my damn ball" attitude he showed today. 

The guy has done it the right way. Worked his but off on STs to make the team after he was waived. Did all the dirty work (rubs, picks, clear outs) and didn't complain when given reps at WR. 

Now it's starting to pay off. 

SI/Arthur did WR/TE vs DBs again today, but did not provide OL vs DL 1on1s... Doesn't look complete, but posting what they pub'd. 

Many more tidbits from the article, but only posting the passing results from 1on1s

https://www.si.com/nfl/colts/news/colts-training-camp-journal-day-5-michael-pittman-dominates-ashton-dulin-wows

• WR/TE vs DBs
    • WR/TE Wins
      • Alec Pierce def. Stephon Gilmore;
      • Parris Campbell def. Kenny Moore;
      • Dezmon Patmon def. Marvell Tell III;
      • Ashton Dulin def. Tony Brown;
      • Isaiah Ford def. Chris Wilcox; ;
      • Samson Nacua def. Wilcox;
      • Jelani Woods def. Rodney McLeod; ;
      • Hines def. Nick Cross;
      • Michael Pittman Jr. def. Brandon Facyson;
      • Ford def. Wilcox;
      • Ethan Fernea def. Dallis Flowers.
    • DB wins
      • Julian Blackmon def. Nyheim Hines
      • Anthony Chesley def. Dulin

34 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Yup. Stoked for the dude. Love the "that's my damn ball" attitude he showed today. 

The guy has done it the right way. Worked his but off on STs to make the team after he was waived. Did all the dirty work (rubs, picks, clear outs) and didn't complain when given reps at WR. 

Now it's starting to pay off. 

Between Dulin showing out and Nyiem being a big part of the offense feeling more optimistic about the passing game. It’s still not a top 10 unit but if the run game stays around the same that would be great.

1 minute ago, JediXMan said:

Between Dulin showing out and Nyiem being a big part of the offense feeling more optimistic about the passing game. It’s still not a top 10 unit but if the run game stays around the same that would be great.

Big IF, but if Parris stays healthy, I'd say we're top 10. 

A Pittman / Campbell 1-2 punch would be super nice. 

Then a 3rd from a combo of Pierce and Dulin is also not bad at all.

I think Pierce will come into his own later in the season, but hope they at least get him involved on 9s early. 

Mo is looking good. JT and Hines are both looking good catching the ball. 

Overall, just a lot to like right now in the passing game. 

16 minutes ago, csmopar said:

For sure. Mainly curious is all

Woods got 1st team reps (as TE2 with Mo) last week. So did Ogletree. 

Granson got them today. 

I'd say until today, Granson was the one to be concerned about. He showed out today though. He'll need to remain consistent though. Woods and Ogletree will both need some patience. Like both of their upsides and long term outlook. 

Overall, I wouldn't bet much on any TE for the TE2 spot behind Mo. Still wide open. And still way early. 

41 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Woods got 1st team reps (as TE2 with Mo) last week. So did Ogletree. 

Granson got them today. 

I'd say until today, Granson was the one to be concerned about. He showed out today though. He'll need to remain consistent though. Woods and Ogletree will both need some patience. Like both of their upsides and long term outlook. 

Overall, I wouldn't bet much on any TE for the TE2 spot behind Mo. Still wide open. And still way early. 

Way too early definitely. It will be interesting to see if we can develop these guys. To me, TE has been something we’ve really not used as dynamic as some other teams, much other than in the run game and pass blocking. I’d like to see us add that to our arsenal if we can

1 minute ago, csmopar said:

Way too early definitely. It will be interesting to see if we can develop these guys. To me, TE has been something we’ve really not used as dynamic as some other teams, much other than in the run game and pass blocking. I’d like to see us add that to our arsenal if we can

Honestly, I think TE use has really been limited by scheme and play calling. Ebron was used as a move TE with Luck, but since then, it's mostly combo usage. Granson really doesn't count as he's used differently, more HB/TE hybrid. He was even getting shuffle passes today again. 

Given the traits of Mo, Woods, and Ogletree, the possibilities do make me salivate a bit. We saw the possibilities two years ago when they used Mo deeper on timing routes vs MN. But rarely used him like that after.....  All three of those guys can do that. All three of those guys can runs slants or other timing routes like other more dynamic Os do. I mean, come on... all three of those guys would give LBs, NBs, and SS nightmares streaking across the seam. But last year, we were super duper possession oriented. 

9 hours ago, VaAllDay757 said:

Kenny moore is CB2 even tho he's more useful in the slot but I think rodgers will win this battle

CB2 is generally the label used for the 2nd outside CB. 

Depth charts list Moore as NB. The CB2 spot listed with Rodgers and Facyson. 

Yes Kenny in the past has played outside when not in nickel, but we're in nickel most downs, and that likely increases this season. 

Archived