Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Training Camp Day 3-July 30th

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, holeymoley99 said:

Still waiting on any word about Weatherford,Van Demark,Domann...and how the 5/6 corner battle is going.....

Likely not going to hear a lot unless one of the starts to pop into first team reps (even as a sub, not a starter).

TC, as far as the OL is concerned, is pretty limited. Very small sample of actual 11 on 11. 

Domann IIRC was getting some snaps already, but not sure how early they were. I've seen several depth chart predictions with Domann, and just saw one with Weatherford yesterday. The article I read, can't remember where, but it cited position flexibility/experience for both Domann and Weatherford. 

Nothing at all about Van Demark. Unless Pryor moves to RG, or Van Demark is tried out at a G spot, his chances aren't great for the 53. If Pryor starts, then you have likely OT depth locks of Kelly and Raimann. Not sure we'd keep another unless some folks are shuffled to other positions. 

17 minutes ago, DaColts85 said:

You might hear about a good play here and there when they put pads on but other than that it will be nothing until a preseason game. 

It really all about 11 on 11s when your talking about the OLs and DLs. 

The O skill, and D skill (LBers and DBs) get more action as their in the 7 on 7s. 

But yes, aside from the reported highlight stuff, and reported 1st teamers, we won't hear a ton until we start to see the preseason game pecking order. 

My bold prediction for the UDFA lead pipe lock though is Domann. Been saying similar since we signed him. He's just got a nose for the ball, great instincts, and simply a "football player", regardless of his RAS not rising to the level of others. 

3 hours ago, EastStreet said:

It really all about 11 on 11s when your talking about the OLs and DLs. 

The O skill, and D skill (LBers and DBs) get more action as their in the 7 on 7s. 

But yes, aside from the reported highlight stuff, and reported 1st teamers, we won't hear a ton until we start to see the preseason game pecking order. 

My bold prediction for the UDFA lead pipe lock though is Domann. Been saying similar since we signed him. He's just got a nose for the ball, great instincts, and simply a "football player", regardless of his RAS not rising to the level of others. 

To the bolded. I’m actually really surprised he wasn’t drafted. I don’t follow college football, but I must have run PFF’s draft simulator 100 times before the draft and I don’t remember seeing him fall out of the 4th round. 

Glad we got him. Hope he makes the team. 

3 hours ago, DaColts85 said:

You might hear about a good play here and there when they put pads on but other than that it will be nothing until a preseason game. 

Just wanted to say I accidentally put a confused face on your post by mistake, in case you were confused about me being confused. I was in fact, not confused. 

1 hour ago, Solid84 said:

To the bolded. I’m actually really surprised he wasn’t drafted. I don’t follow college football, but I must have run PFF’s draft simulator 100 times before the draft and I don’t remember seeing him fall out of the 4th round. 

Glad we got him. Hope he makes the team. 

Yup. A lot of folks expected him to get drafted. IIRC, NFL.com projected him in the 5th. 

Some folks simply put to much into RAS these days. I absolutely love RAS as an indicator, and certainly when trying to take a shot on UDFAs, but it's not the end all be all on some guys. 

Pretty sure he was HS player of the year but simply was a tweener size wise. Started out as a DB then kinda grew more towards LB. Still a tweener type, but that's perfect for STs and packages, and his weight really isn't outside of the range for today's LBers. He's not much lighter than Oke, and his speed is pretty close to the same. Oke has not been great in traffic, and that's one area where Domann excels. Not saying he should replace Oke, just saying he's likely a good depth option, and not really that far off our existing starter traits. 

21 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Yup. A lot of folks expected him to get drafted. IIRC, NFL.com projected him in the 5th. 

Some folks simply put to much into RAS these days. I absolutely love RAS as an indicator, and certainly when trying to take a shot on UDFAs, but it's not the end all be all on some guys. 

Pretty sure he was HS player of the year but simply was a tweener size wise. Started out as a DB then kinda grew more towards LB. Still a tweener type, but that's perfect for STs and packages, and his weight really isn't outside of the range for today's LBers. He's not much lighter than Oke, and his speed is pretty close to the same. Oke has not been great in traffic, and that's one area where Domann excels. Not saying he should replace Oke, just saying he's likely a good depth option, and not really that far off our existing starter traits. 

I agree, I love RAS, but I would honestly take a guy with average RAS and elite instinct over elite RAS with average instinct.

14 hours ago, EastStreet said:

Likely not going to hear a lot unless one of the starts to pop into first team reps (even as a sub, not a starter).

TC, as far as the OL is concerned, is pretty limited. Very small sample of actual 11 on 11. 

Domann IIRC was getting some snaps already, but not sure how early they were. I've seen several depth chart predictions with Domann, and just saw one with Weatherford yesterday. The article I read, can't remember where, but it cited position flexibility/experience for both Domann and Weatherford. 

Nothing at all about Van Demark. Unless Pryor moves to RG, or Van Demark is tried out at a G spot, his chances aren't great for the 53. If Pryor starts, then you have likely OT depth locks of Kelly and Raimann. Not sure we'd keep another unless some folks are shuffled to other positions. 

The Domann and Weatherford situations are something I am looking at as well.  Weatherford seems to have some flexibility between LB and Safety.

Agree about Van Demark, he will need to show he can play guard to make the final 53, imvho.

18 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

I agree, I love RAS, but I would honestly take a guy with average RAS and elite instinct over elite RAS with average instinct.

I prefer both lol. But yup!!!!

After I posted, I looked at his measurables. 

40       Weight   Height   Vert

Domann    4.62       228       6012      34.5

Oke            4.58      235       6013       33.5

Just not much difference.

Just now, LiveAndLetAddai said:

The Domann and Weatherford situations are something I am looking at as well.  Weatherford seems to have some flexibility between LB and Safety.

Agree about Van Demark, he will need to show he can play guard to make the final 53, imvho.

Both Domann and Weatherford are similar (position flex experience). 

I think Domann has the leg up, but wouldn't be surprised at all if Weatherford was kept too. I think at minimum both will be kept if possible on the PS if they don't make the cut. 

I really hope they're giving guys shots for other positions (along the OL). I read one blurb that O'Donnell was getting time inside which surprised me. I think the biggest thing though that would help VD is simply Pryor moving to G. I don't think that happens though. Pretty confident at this point he'll win the LT spot. He's got every single 11/11 rep so far per the reports I saw. 

1 minute ago, EastStreet said:

Both Domann and Weatherford are similar (position flex experience). 

I think Domann has the leg up, but wouldn't be surprised at all if Weatherford was kept too. I think at minimum both will be kept if possible on the PS if they don't make the cut. 

I really hope they're giving guys shots for other positions (along the OL). I read one blurb that O'Donnell was getting time inside which surprised me. I think the biggest thing though that would help VD is simply Pryor moving to G. I don't think that happens though. Pretty confident at this point he'll win the LT spot. He's got every single 11/11 rep so far per the reports I saw. 

Really, O'Donnell moving inside?  It seems to have worked for Fries, fingers crossed.

14 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Yup. 

I'm not really all that high on Fries. Maybe in time, but his ceiling never struck me as high. 

I actually was surprised that they moved him inside, though college tackles move inside at the pro level frequently....not the other way around so much, though Smith is the outlier.

32 minutes ago, LiveAndLetAddai said:

I actually was surprised that they moved him inside, though college tackles move inside at the pro level frequently....not the other way around so much, though Smith is the outlier.

Smith IMO came from very different circumstances if you look at his HS career, then the college he went to. He was a T in HS, but his pass blocking and lateral movement was questioned, so they converted him to OG to get him on the field early. But those things improved a bunch at Auburn. Many thought he'd get a shot at T his Junior or Senior year, but Auburn simply had a stacked OL and there wasn't any need to move him. Q was kinda the same. He was considered an OT, but got to ND and they were stacked with elite talent, so he stuck at OG. 

But yes, agree it's mostly Ts sliding in in the NFL. 

4 hours ago, Colts1324 said:

Anybody know how to get ahold of 3 tickets for tonight’s practice? I have tried all week, but they are sold out. 

It is one hot ticket.  I heard the weather is going to be gorgeous and the number of fans will be tremendous.  Like a friday night high school game hype , i know people that said they were going to tail-gate.  I believe they serve food and beer in the concessions areas and the indoor building will be open which I believe has a bar (I could be wrong on that last one).  I'm wondering what type of State Fair food they might have, like Elephant Ears or chocolate dipped Twinkies or something?

1 minute ago, Moe said:

How has Jelani Woods looked?

Not special. But it's early. Some drop issues. 

Ogletree actually got starter status over Woods and Granson, but Woods did get sub snaps in the 11/11. 

Mo is looking very nice. Most targets and catches of anyone (WR, RB, or TE). 

Will be interesting to see who gets starter status tonight. If Granson doesn't, might be bad news for him. 

2 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Not special. But it's early. Some drop issues. 

Ogletree actually got starter status over Woods and Granson, but Woods did get sub snaps in the 11/11. 

Mo is looking very nice. Most targets and catches of anyone (WR, RB, or TE). 

Will be interesting to see who gets starter status tonight. If Granson doesn't, might be bad news for him. 

I think Ogletree is going to be a pleasant surprise.

Just now, cdgacoltsfan said:

I think Ogletree is going to be a pleasant surprise.

Me too. 

Woods had all the hype, but Ogletree had outstanding RAS and small school mystery. 

Both were bagged about hands and blocking issues. 

Woods had a much better supporting cast, and I think Ogletree had several QBs in just his last season. 

Ogletree might be surprising folks now that he's getting passes from Ryan.  

Archived