Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Skip Bayless On Luck/Colts' Decision [Merge]

MrPreGame

Oh yes, it's a vast conspiracy. I'm sure they have meetings at the network just to figure out ways to mock the Colts. EVERYBODY hates us don't you know.

OR, it could just be one guys opinion on a talk show, and considering the fact that its their job to throw stuff out there (if everyone agreed it would be pretty darn boring), and considering the fact that everything he said makes perfect sense, I don't see what the problem is.

I'm happy with the Colts taking Luck, and he IS the safer pick, and more likely to "fly" in Indianapolis. Still, the first five minutes I was watching Luck I was thinking "why is he hunched over like that"? Bizarre and unorthodox - he looks like he's running the option half the time. Doesn't remind me of Peyton in the slightest despite all the squinting that goes on here. I've commented on it here, and wondered why it's not talked about in the media more. He may be fantastic (or not), and Griffin may well be better (or not), and frankly Weeden may turn out to be better than either of them. Who knows. Not any of us. I certainly don't condemn an entire network because some talking head raises the question. That's his job.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Here is some of the things he posted on twitter about his HS career.

skip-bayless-start-in-high-school.jpgskip-bayless-tall-for-age-tweet.jpg

Don't those comments reflect him making fun of himself because he thought he was a superstar and he clearly wasn't? Where exactly is the lie, and who cares either way?

Don't look now but NBC Sports is joining in in the fun...

I couldn't post the entire article but he states Griffin will have the better rookie season but flip flops at the very end stating the Colts are building a better team over all...

http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/46994206/ns/sports-nfl/

Griffin lucks out being No. 2

QB will win Rookie of Year with Redskins, while Luck will have a tough '12 with Colts

ANALYSIS

updated 9:47 p.m. ET April 18, 2012

Mike Tanier

Forget for a moment that trading three first-round picks for one player is like signing a 40-year variable-rate mortgage: the house maybe great, but those hefty payments are bound to have consequences down the road.

Forget for a moment that Robert Griffin III has gone from “outstanding prospect” to “can’t-miss franchise quarterback” to “John Elway standing on Steve Young’s shoulders” in the course of a few workouts and interviews, with the real truth lying closer to the first option than the third.

Finally, forget the talk about the Colts' drafting Griffin instead of Andrew Luck. Yes, there is a slim chance that Jim Irsay will change his mind, not only because he is as predictable as mountaintop weather but because coaches get involved in the draft process this time of year and begin lobbying for their guys. Irsay was sold on Luck about six months ago, so it will take a lot of lobbying to change his mind.

The Redskins will draft Griffin. Griffin will be a day one starter. And Griffin will be the Rookie of the Year.

The guy who will be drafted ahead of him doesn’t stand a chance.

Oh yes, it's a vast conspiracy. I'm sure they have meetings at the network just to figure out ways to mock the Colts. EVERYBODY hates us don't you know.

OR, it could just be one guys opinion on a talk show, and considering the fact that its their job to throw stuff out there (if everyone agreed it would be pretty darn boring), and considering the fact that everything he said makes perfect sense, I don't see what the problem is.

I'm happy with the Colts taking Luck, and he IS the safer pick, and more likely to "fly" in Indianapolis. Still, the first five minutes I was watching Luck I was thinking "why is he hunched over like that"? Bizarre and unorthodox - he looks like he's running the option half the time. Doesn't remind me of Peyton in the slightest despite all the squinting that goes on here. I've commented on it here, and wondered why it's not talked about in the media more. He may be fantastic (or not), and Griffin may well be better (or not), and frankly Weeden may turn out to be better than either of them. Who knows. Not any of us. I certainly don't condemn an entire network because some talking head raises the question. That's his job.

The part I bolded is hilarious to even imagine. Weeden is already the eqivialent of a 5 year vet in terms of age. He SHOULD be better this year but overall for a career, no. I see Drew Henson written all over him.

I don't know that Skip Bayless knows anything about pro football. I think it is funny when he walks about how the NFL is moving towards a more mobile QB because of Cam Newton. right! I heard them same talk when Randall Cunningham was with the Eagles in the 80s. No matter how much they want to wish, a good pocket QB will always be better than a good running QB.

The part I bolded is hilarious to even imagine. Weeden is already the eqivialent of a 5 year vet in terms of age. He SHOULD be better this year but overall for a career, no. I see Drew Henson written all over him.

I'm well aware of his age, and I watched his clutch performance in the Fiesta Bowl over Luck, and I watched his segment with Jon Gruden. Nice guy, very bright, born leader, strong arm, knows how to win (and has an intense desire to do so). He may well step in next year as a starter on the right team, and win immediately. The other two are wide eyed kids, Weedens a man about to enter his physical prime. He is entering the game too late to put up fantastic career stats, but that doesn't mean he can't win. Did you laugh much at Kurt Warner and Steve Young too?

I'm well aware of his age, and I watched his clutch performance in the Fiesta Bowl over Luck, and I watched his segment with Jon Gruden. Nice guy, very bright, born leader, strong arm, knows how to win (and has an intense desire to do so). He may well step in next year as a starter on the right team, and win immediately. The other two are wide eyed kids, Weedens a man about to enter his physical prime. He is entering the game too late to put up fantastic career stats, but that doesn't mean he can't win. Did you laugh much at Kurt Warner and Steve Young too?

Clutch over Luck? He had the better team as evidented by Blackmon going off and him having the higher ranked team. If Luck's kicker doesn't choke that comment is irrelevant. yada yada nice guy, good leader, good passer, donates to charity, tell me something I dont know. And like I said, he should step in and have immediate success because of his age but he won't be in his prime that long, ie. Drew Henson. No. Kurt Warner played in the Arena League and was actually trying out for NFL teams at the right time. Steve Young was also drafted into the league at the normal age and simply didn't have success till his later years. Weeden is trying to come in with just college experience at an age where most QB's already have semi-pro/pro experience. Dominating kids 5-6 years younger than you in college is not impressive, its expected.

haha Skip Bayless...facepalm.

He the quintessential self-loathing, White person. And as such his baseline belief is that all established "truth" and social norms flow from people like him and is therefore corrupt. As a result he has a kneejerk contrarianism towards anything resembling conventional wisdom. So he must hate the Luck selection over RGIII. He must hate the truth. Facts to him are okay because they can be manipulated but the truth...no, that is anathema to him.

The truth is Luck is the superior selection across the board. But the alternative to the truth is far too tantalizing to a dimwitt like Bayless. He must chase it. He must assign ultimate value to it. Otherwise, the internal, intellectually superior identity that he has created for himself (to overcome his self-loathing) has to come down. /PsychiatristOff

Lacey will probably be decent for Detroit if he's used for the role at which his skills are suited for: nickleback.

Of course here last year.....Polian formulated the roster so that Lacey had to be used as a starter. And to the surprise of very few, he failed miserably.

He's paid to get people like you to post about this, To be controversial... Derp.

winner

he gets paid big bucks to get people riled up and ticked off

it gets ESPN more viewers and they rake in more $$$$ which means he gets paid more $$$$

he doesn't need to be right, as long as he gets people talking and ticked off then he's doing his job

Bayless just likes controversy, very rare does he have an opinion that I agree with and sometimes his opinions make no sense and other times he just makes statements to stir the pot. I do like to listen though, and I actually like some of their broadcasters

I dont think Bayless even honestly believes his own garbage. I really think he knows his role on ESPN is to have completely ridiculous baseless stances and he does it very well.

If he really does believe the things he says....he is probably the most looney tunes sports writer/talk guy on TV.

winner

he gets paid big bucks to get people riled up and ticked off

it gets ESPN more viewers and they rake in more $$$$ which means he gets paid more $$$$

he doesn't need to be right, as long as he gets people talking and ticked off then he's doing his job

He's often right..because he structures the debate in a way that he can take both sides..

for example..Kobe is the greatest closer in basketball...and OKC has the best talent but he's picking San Anotnio..

If any of the 3 win the NBA's Western Conference..HE TOLD YOU SO./.....see?

Clutch over Luck? He had the better team as evidented by Blackmon going off and him having the higher ranked team. If Luck's kicker doesn't choke that comment is irrelevant. yada yada nice guy, good leader, good passer, donates to charity, tell me something I dont know. And like I said, he should step in and have immediate success because of his age but he won't be in his prime that long, ie. Drew Henson. No. Kurt Warner played in the Arena League and was actually trying out for NFL teams at the right time. Steve Young was also drafted into the league at the normal age and simply didn't have success till his later years. Weeden is trying to come in with just college experience at an age where most QB's already have semi-pro/pro experience. Dominating kids 5-6 years younger than you in college is not impressive, its expected.

Not my intent to rile up the besotted. I get it, but you might want to try keeping an open mind. The teams were 3rd and 4th in that big old meaningless opinion poll out of 150 or so teams - hardly a decisive difference. And while OKS had the best WR in the game, Stanford had the better offensive line, running game, and tight ends. More important is the fact that I thought Weeden was much more impressive than Luck. Isn't that kinda relevant to the topic?

I'm guessing that you keep bringing up Henson because he played baseball, but he hit the NFL at age 24, not 28. He was never anything special at ANY point of his college or pro career (although he might well have been a better baseball player). More relevant is the fact that neither Young nor Warner were ready for the big time at 22-24 for a variety of reasons. They grew up, and when Dame Fortune handed them an opportunity at 27-28 (injuries to Montana and Green) they seized it and held on. All I'm saying is that Weeden has some talent, and it looks and sounds to me like he is mature enough to make the most of his opportunity. If a team that is built to win now gives him a chance to be a starter, he might have immediate success. Who knows where that might lead. It actually sounds like you agree with me, so I'm not entirely sure what the problem is. I'm not suggesting that the Colts should take Weeden - Irsay would get burned at the stake - but simply that Luck or Griffin's youth is only to their advantage if they use the time to improve dramatically. The odds are that they will, but sometimes things don't work out the way that you expect. The NFL draft is largely a gamble. Luck will be a Colt, and he darn well BETTER be all that he is advertised or the franchise will be set back YEARS. In the meantime, I wish Weeden well. It's a cool story.

I've always hated the sound of Skip Bayless's voice, but never cared about his opinions because he's joke. Jason Whitlock probably agrivates me more than him anyway. Whitlock is the guy who will make the argument that Jeff George was a superior QB than Peyton Manning. I think sport writers like them ought to be held accountable and if they end up with too high of a percentage of being wrong than they should be publicly demoted to covering crappy sports like bowling and cycling.

Not my intent to rile up the besotted. I get it, but you might want to try keeping an open mind. The teams were 3rd and 4th in that big old meaningless opinion poll out of 150 or so teams - hardly a decisive difference. And while OKS had the best WR in the game, Stanford had the better offensive line, running game, and tight ends. More important is the fact that I thought Weeden was much more impressive than Luck. Isn't that kinda relevant to the topic?

I'm guessing that you keep bringing up Henson because he played baseball, but he hit the NFL at age 24, not 28. He was never anything special at ANY point of his college or pro career (although he might well have been a better baseball player). More relevant is the fact that neither Young nor Warner were ready for the big time at 22-24 for a variety of reasons. They grew up, and when Dame Fortune handed them an opportunity at 27-28 (injuries to Montana and Green) they seized it and held on. All I'm saying is that Weeden has some talent, and it looks and sounds to me like he is mature enough to make the most of his opportunity. If a team that is built to win now gives him a chance to be a starter, he might have immediate success. Who knows where that might lead. It actually sounds like you agree with me, so I'm not entirely sure what the problem is. I'm not suggesting that the Colts should take Weeden - Irsay would get burned at the stake - but simply that Luck or Griffin's youth is only to their advantage if they use the time to improve dramatically. The odds are that they will, but sometimes things don't work out the way that you expect. The NFL draft is largely a gamble. Luck will be a Colt, and he darn well BETTER be all that he is advertised or the franchise will be set back YEARS. In the meantime, I wish Weeden well. It's a cool story.

Luck's numbers from that game: 27/31 347 yards 2 TD's 1 INT

Weeden's numbers from that game: 29/42 399 3 TD's 1 INT - Blackmon had all 3 of his TD's and nearly 1/3 of his yards.

Don't know how thats more impressive than Luck when nearly 1/3 of your stats come from a top 5 elite WR talent that Luck clearly didn't have.

The age difference between Henson and Weeden actually works against Weeden in this case sinnce he's older, not nessarialy more experienced. Yes Young and Warner grew up but they grew up in either semi-pro or pro systems. Weeden played in college which I shouldn't have to tell you is a completely different game. I agree that Weeden will have success probably more sooner than Luck or RG3 will but I don't thinkl he won't turn out to be the better QB out of that group.

Luck's numbers from that game: 27/31 347 yards 2 TD's 1 INT

Weeden's numbers from that game: 29/42 399 3 TD's 1 INT - Blackmon had all 3 of his TD's and nearly 1/3 of his yards.

Don't know how thats more impressive than Luck when nearly 1/3 of your stats come from a top 5 elite WR talent that Luck clearly didn't have.

The age difference between Henson and Weeden actually works against Weeden in this case sinnce he's older, not nessarialy more experienced. Yes Young and Warner grew up but they grew up in either semi-pro or pro systems. Weeden played in college which I shouldn't have to tell you is a completely different game. I agree that Weeden will have success probably more sooner than Luck or RG3 will but I don't thinkl he won't turn out to be the better QB out of that group.

Lets see (pausing to look up stats to remind myself of why I was left with that impression).

Oh yeah, Stanford had 265 yards rushing to OKS's 65, and owned the time of possession 41:47 to 18:13. Oh, and Weeden ran for a TD as well. This was like that Miami / Indy game a couple of years back. Stanford knew that Weeden was going to pass constantly, and they should have utterly dominated the game. Peyton's performance was one of the defining moments of his career. The fact that Wayne had an 80 yard TD pass (and I would bet more than 1/3 of Peyton's yards) isn't typically held against him. It's nice that Weeden had Blackmon. Swap him for the Stanford o-line and how does that game come out? DeCastro's draft grade is nearly as high as Blackmons, and he was hardly the only good Cardinal player.

You may be right regarding Weeden's experience compared to Henson, let's see where he goes and how quickly he picks up he offense. Henson is just lousy. I don't think that time or experience really were a factor.

On the same episode where he says we are making a mistake by taking Luck (now that it is official). Skip says the Lions have a shot at a ring now b/c JACOB LACEY was such a good addition. Silliest thing I've ever seen on that show and that is saying something

He is such a Liolt. Lacey FTW.

He's often right..because he structures the debate in a way that he can take both sides..

for example..Kobe is the greatest closer in basketball...and OKC has the best talent but he's picking San Anotnio..

If any of the 3 win the NBA's Western Conference..HE TOLD YOU SO./.....see?

yup

recently he was hating on Manning and the Broncos so bad because his beloved Tebow got kicked out of town :(

Skip said on his twitter account as follows:

@RealSkipBayless: Short-term, Luck better fit, quicker fix than RG3 in Indy, more Peyton-like, NFL-ready. Long-term RG3 will be the more dynamic QB/leader.

This guy is bonkers. Luck is more "Peyton-like," but he's a mistake????

lacey might have been the worst starting cb in the nfl. he plays so far off the wr's sometimes because he doesn't have the speed. he's the biggest reason we loss in the playoffs vs the jets. sanchez and edwards looked like superstars because of him.

In fairness to Lacey, playing so far off is how he was coached to play by our God awful coaching staff. I do, however, agree that either way, Lacey sucks. There is nothing good about his game at all and should never have been given a roster spot to begin with. Detroit will find this out soon enough.