Jump to content
Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

PFF Lists Colt's biggest strength, weakness, etc.


Recommended Posts

PFF lists Colts' biggest strength, weakness

Kevin Hickey 

 

The Indianapolis Colts are just a few weeks away from the start of training camp where they hope to begin their journey toward competing for a playoff spot during the 2022 season.

Pro Football Focus recently listed the strengths and weaknesses of every team in the NFL. For the Colts, the two were relatively common answers. We also recently ranked the positions from strongest to weakest.

USATSI_17381383.jpg?w=1000&h=600&crop=1

Starting with the strength, the strongest position group comes in the backfield. Led By Jonathan Taylor, it’s hard to argue that a different position should take the reins here.

This is what Pro Football Focus said about the backfield being the strongest group on the roster:

Jonathan Taylor is a beast, but behind him on the depth chart is also Nyheim Hines, Phillip Lindsay and even Ty’Son Williams. Taylor obviously led the league in rushing yards last season, but he also showed an ability to maximize the yards that his blocking creates. He gained 1,272 yards after contact, broke 66 tackles and had 23 breakaway runs of 15 or more yards, four more than any other back. He racked up more than 200 yards more than any other back on those breakaway runs.

While Taylor will be looking forward to competing for the rushing title again this year, we should see more usage when it comes to Nyheim Hines, who is a weapon both out of the backfield and in the slot as a receiver. Having depth like Phillip Lindsay and/or Ty’Son Williams isn’t too bad either.

Shifting the focus to the weaker part of the roster, the answer is obvious. It’s been the same throughout the offseason.

Wide receiver.

It’s tough to find a unit where the Colts are in bad shape, which explains why they are quite a popular team in preseason predictions. You could focus on cornerback, but in limited snaps last season Stephon Gilmore showed he still has gas in the tank, particularly in man coverage. They have Michael Pittman Jr. at wide receiver, but that’s not enough until we see what rookie Alec Pierce can bring to the table, particularly with Matt Ryan on the back nine of his career.

The wide receiver position is more of an unknown right now. The potential is extremely high, but it comes with a lot of question marks. Can Parris Campbell stay healthy? What kind of impact will Alec Pierce have? Can Ashton Dulin, Dezmon Patmon and Mike Strachan step into bigger roles?

We likely won’t know the answer until the season is already underway, but this position group will be out to prove a lot in 2022.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

53 minutes ago, compuls1v3 said:

Weird how the author in the article goes from Wide Receiver, to cornerback, back to the wideouts.  Can't argue that the WRs group is our most unknown though.

Lol yep! I noticed the jumping around too.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, compuls1v3 said:

Weird how the author in the article goes from Wide Receiver, to cornerback, back to the wideouts.  Can't argue that the WRs group is our most unknown though.

I think he's saying that the WR position is the weakest, but an argument can be made that it's actually the CB position. But then he points out that with Stephon Gilmore, it's not the weakest group, and thus goes back to talking about the weakness in the WR group.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Flash7 said:

I think he's saying that the WR position is the weakest, but an argument can be made that it's actually the CB position. But then he points out that with Stephon Gilmore, it's not the weakest group, and thus goes back to talking about the weakness in the WR group.

Might be, but it definitely was not eloquently put. lol 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The WR position is more of an unknown than a weakness.  Parris is a vet and has shown flashes, but so far he hasn't shown the availability ability.  The others have the talent, but are then any NFL WRs who don't have talent?

 

I'm not too concerned about CB.  Rodgers is going to be really good.  We know about Kenny and even if Gilmore is 80% of his former greatness, I'll take it.

 

To me, the 'weakest' position is still LT.  Just like WR, it's only a weakness until it's proven it's not.

 

 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

While all points in this article are valid - we still have a full training camp and preseason schedule to hone skills and learn the ways to maximize each individuals talents.

 

I see good things coming for the 2022 version of the Indianapolis Colts.

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

With the comparations between Atlanta's recievers with Matt Ryan and the similiar plays the Colts played last year, I saw Colts recievers were more open than the Atlanta recievers.   I know Matt Ryan is a better quarterback than Carson Wentz, so I think we will be fine with our recievers.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Smonroe said:

The WR position is more of an unknown than a weakness.  Parris is a vet and has shown flashes, but so far he hasn't shown the availability ability.  The others have the talent, but are then any NFL WRs who don't have talent?

 

I'm not too concerned about CB.  Rodgers is going to be really good.  We know about Kenny and even if Gilmore is 80% of his former greatness, I'll take it.

 

To me, the 'weakest' position is still LT.  Just like WR, it's only a weakness until it's proven it's not.

 

 

CB our most unknown spot if we play 3 often as Gilmore,Facyson and Rodgers dont have much behind them (I dont even count Kenny at this point as he is more likely to hold out then report and if so no telling how that ends up).

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, holeymoley99 said:

CB our most unknown spot if we play 3 often as Gilmore,Facyson and Rodgers dont have much behind them (I dont even count Kenny at this point as he is more likely to hold out then report and if so no telling how that ends up).

 

 


Kenny will play.  If Rodgers is as good as he looks in camp then we’re solid with Facyson as a very good backup.  I know there are IFs there, but not too many teams are that solid.  
 

Still, DBs are usually only as good as the D line allows them to be.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think the WR group will do well with Matt Ryan.  Eventually you just have to turn it over to a young position group and let them figure it out. With a first year position coach i expect it will evolve as the season progresses. I assume Reggie will figure it out and get the guys where they need to be so not too worried. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/7/2022 at 10:51 AM, Smonroe said:

The WR position is more of an unknown than a weakness.  Parris is a vet and has shown flashes, but so far he hasn't shown the availability ability.  The others have the talent, but are then any NFL WRs who don't have talent?

 

I'm not too concerned about CB.  Rodgers is going to be really good.  We know about Kenny and even if Gilmore is 80% of his former greatness, I'll take it.

 

To me, the 'weakest' position is still LT.  Just like WR, it's only a weakness until it's proven it's not.

 

 

Until it proves itself, it is a weakness. The wr group is full of guys with athleticism and potential yet none have fulfilled it as of yet.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/7/2022 at 3:21 PM, sb41champs said:

While all points in this article are valid - we still have a full training camp and preseason schedule to hone skills and learn the ways to maximize each individuals talents.

 

I see good things coming for the 2022 version of the Indianapolis Colts.

 

Yes, we seem like a solid team going into training camp. I'm cautiously optimistic about team though until I see us play some real games and go from there. But we look very good on paper which doesn't mean much at this point. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, jonjon said:

Outside of Pittman, agreed. People pinning their hopes on WRs not named Pittman or Pierce are in serious denial mode.

I know but time will tell us all we need to know but until then I'm not making any judgements. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...