Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Baker Mayfield to the Panthers

Superman

I'm happy for Baker Mayfield. Cleveland didn't treat him well. Will Mayfield have to compete with Darnold for starting position? Unless the Panthers plan to move away from Darnold. 

It would be ironic if Brissett took the Browns to the playoffs in place of Watson. Not thinking it will happen, but it's interesting. 

2 hours ago, teganslaw said:

I'm happy for Baker Mayfield. Cleveland didn't treat him well. Will Mayfield have to compete with Darnold for starting position? Unless the Panthers plan to move away from Darnold. 

It would be ironic if Brissett took the Browns to the playoffs in place of Watson. Not thinking it will happen, but it's interesting. 

Browns have a lot of talent. I think Jacoby will be average but won’t take them to the playoffs. They do have a good enough run game to help him out.

The Browns got too big in the head. They screwed up.

Watson is still the long-term answer for Cleveland, realistically. It's only this year that's in question (not that that isn't huge). 

Browns bailed too quickly on Mayfield IMO but at least it's over. It will be interesting to see what happens in Carolina. Even if it doesn't work out, it was a no-brainer move on their part. Mayfield for a 5th round pick? Unreal.

So is it time to revisit the 2018 draft yet?

1 - CLE - Baker Mayfield (no longer with team)

2 - NYG - Saquon Barkley (after OROY, downhill)

3 - NYJ - Sam Darnold (no longer with team)

4 - CLE - Denzel Ward (2 pro bowls)

5 - DEN - Bradley Chubb (rookie pro bowl, then troubles)

6 - IND - Quenton Nelson (4 pro bowls)

7 - BUF - Josh Allen (pro bowl, playoff wins)

8 - CHI - Roquan Smith (tackling machine on iffy team)

9 - SF - Mike McGlinchey (not very good)

10 - AZ - Josh Rosen (no longer with team x2)

11 - MIA - Minkah Fitzpatrick (no longer with team, 2x pro bowl with PIT)

12 - TB - Vita Vea (pro bowl, super bowl)

I consider this something to back up my not wanting the Colts to give up lots of trade capital to move up and draft a QB.  The Browns have been in the QB whirlwind for awhile as have the Jets.   Both teams used high draft picks on QB's in 2018 and both wasted a few years giving them a shot.   Both teams have given up on their picks making them, essentially wasted draft picks. 

3 hours ago, Myles said:

I consider this something to back up my not wanting the Colts to give up lots of trade capital to move up and draft a QB.  The Browns have been in the QB whirlwind for awhile as have the Jets.   Both teams used high draft picks on QB's in 2018 and both wasted a few years giving them a shot.   Both teams have given up on their picks making them, essentially wasted draft picks. 

Browns had their QB in mayfield. They screwed up  and treated him bad.

5 minutes ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

Browns had their QB in mayfield. They screwed up  and treated him bad.

that is true, but he was never gonna be a QB worthy of a top draft pick.   Serviceable is a word I would use.  

4 hours ago, Myles said:

that is true, but he was never gonna be a QB worthy of a top draft pick.   Serviceable is a word I would use.  

Everyone forgets what happened with the browns last year. Baker played with bad injuries. Then they were still on track to make playoffs when almost the entire team had to sit out because of Covid. Then the rules changed like two days after that game. Baker was on his way after a stellar 2020. Browns then trashed him in the media to try and justify going after Watson. They let success go to their head. What had happened with browns is such a browns thing. Baker had them back in playoffs and a contender after how long being a laughing stock. I love how competitive he is. Better then Wentz not seeming to care when we were getting trashed in jax.

6 hours ago, Myles said:

Honestly….

I think that’s only obvious in hindsight.  I’m not saying he was the obvious first quarterback to be taken, but the over class I’d ‘18 QBs was highly thought of even though all the candidates had flaws.  

A number of people thought highly of Mayfield, including Bill Polian who spoke glowingly of him. 

Now that the Mayfield saga is done and played out,  I think this post belongs here....

Our front office was ranked 11th,  behind Cincy, the LAC and Cleveland.     I think Cincy and the LAC should be 9 and 10 behind the Colts at 8.     I think they're being celebrated a bit too soon.    But the biggest flaw for me is Cleveland.     I know the Browns have a very, very good roster.    This is a team that should be highly competitive for a long time.    But this off-season,  the Browns Front Office has given a literal MASTERCLASS on what NOT to do at the most important position 

Let's see all the different ways they managed to screw up their Quarterback room.

--   They publicly (but anonymously) trahsed Mayfield with their comment (we needed an adult in the QB room).   That'll help his trade value!

-- Then, after losing out on Watson,  they doubled-down and offered him the biggest fully guaranteed deal in NFL Hisotry 5/230 which is said to have infuriated the entire National Football League.

-- Anticipating that Watson might get suspended some or all of 2022, they gave him a $45 Mill signing bonus, with only a $1 Million salary.   That way the most Watson would lose if suspended all year, was his tiny salary.    THEN, at his intro press conference, the GM said that was NOT the reason lthat they structered the deal that way, but couldn't explain why they did.

The Browns looked terrible.

-- They claimed they had done due dilegence on Watson, then demonstrated over and over that they hadn't.

-- The Browns traded their back-up Case Keenum to Buffalo to clear the way to sign a better back-up, Jacoby Brissett, just in case Watson was suspended for a long time.

-- The Browns even signed former 3rd string quarterback Josh Dobbs to be their 3rd string quarterback.   And remember, Mayfield and his guaranteed contract was still on the roster als the 4th QB, but looking for a place.   Every move the Browns front office made devalued Mayfield, the guy Cleveland was hoping to trade for a decent amount considering he was the former #1 overall pick.

-- When the Watson saga got worse and worse,  rumors were flying that Cleveland might try to sign Jimmy Garropollo if SF cuts him, so Jimmy G might be the season long starter over Brissett.    And there were no public denials by Cleveland.

Suddenly, Brissett was not going to be good enough to be a season-long back-up.

-- Mayfield finally gets traded...  a 5 that could be a 4.   Cleveland has to eat over $10 Mill of his nearly $19 Mill salary.   No one should be surprised,  the Browns did everything wrong, and only diluted Mayfield's value and Cleveland lost any bit of leverage they might have had.

From 2000 miles away,  it feels like that comment about needing a grown-up in the room belongs to the Browns Front Office,  as well as the Browns QB room.

That front office gets ranked ahead of the Colts?!?     Don't make me laugh!           Not even a little bit.

So, I'd have the Colts F.O. at 8th...   then the Bengals, then the Chargers and the Browns can be no higher than 11th, and maybe lower.    As others have noted,  there were some other pretty good franchises just outside the top-10.

12 hours ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

Everyone forgets what happened with the browns last year. Baker played with bad injuries. Then they were still on track to make playoffs when almost the entire team had to sit out because of Covid. Then the rules changed like two days after that game. Baker was on his way after a stellar 2020. Browns then trashed him in the media to try and justify going after Watson. They let success go to their head. What had happened with browns is such a browns thing. Baker had them back in playoffs and a contender after how long being a laughing stock. I love how competitive he is. Better then Wentz not seeming to care when we were getting trashed in jax.

I agree that he can be a good QB but his ceiling isn't as high as the top QB's playing today.  I'm not sure he can repeat his 2020 season.  I would have been happy if the Colts brought him to Indy.  For a 4th or 5th round pick, it would have been a bargain. 

TD/INT's

2018 - 27-14

2019 - 22-21

2020 - 26-8

2021 - 17-13

1 hour ago, Myles said:

I agree that he can be a good QB but his ceiling isn't as high as the top QB's playing today.  I'm not sure he can repeat his 2020 season.  I would have been happy if the Colts brought him to Indy.  For a 4th or 5th round pick, it would have been a bargain. 

TD/INT's

2018 - 27-14

2019 - 22-21

2020 - 26-8

2021 - 17-13

Well like any rookie QB it took a little time. Then he got injured. He would have repeated 2020 had he stayed healthy. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/6/2022 at 2:20 PM, Superman said:

Ballard got a really nice deal for Wentz, in comparison with this.

especially if you consider the Ryan trade in with it. Ballard did very well in moving on.

I sure its been talked about to the point of nauseam at this point.

Colts/Eagles - 1st and 2nd for Wentz

Colts/Commanders- 3rd and 3rd(can be a 2nd) and move up 5 spots in the 2nd(mid 4th round value) for Wentz and 7th

Then to score Ryan for our 3rd and not even the Commanders pick. Solid, solid. No complaints on that.

Hopefully Wentz stays healthy and we capitalize on the conditions of the deal.

Sorry for the Ryan talk, wasn't around during the action earlier.

As far as Mayfield? I guess? It was really cheap(draft pock wise and $ wise with Browns picking up so much of contract), so there is that. Was really hoping to see some Matt Corral this year, but behind 2 vets, IDK? Guess if Mayfield wins job, Darnold could get moved?

16 hours ago, w87r said:

especially if you consider the Ryan trade in with it. Ballard did very well in moving on.

Colts/Commanders- 3rd and 3rd(can be a 2nd) and move up 5 spots in the 2nd(mid 4th round value) for Wentz and 7th

Then to score Ryan for our 3rd and not even the Commanders pick. Solid, solid. No complaints on that.

As far as Mayfield? I guess? It was really cheap(draft pock wise and $ wise with Browns picking up so much of contract), so there is that. Was really hoping to see some Matt Corral this year, but behind 2 vets, IDK? Guess if Mayfield wins job, Darnold could get moved?

Glad to see you posting.

Yeah, I don't know how the Ryan thing is going to work out -- I'm optimistic of course, and I think he's a good fit -- but my initial impression is that we came out in pretty good shape after the Wentz/Ryan moves of the last two offseasons. And once we traded Wentz, I was prepared to see us starting Marcus Mariota or Jameis Winston this season; I wasn't interested in Baker at all. So getting Ryan is a nice end result.

The Panthers have a to find a guy, but they've now collected a good number of darts, without committing too much to any of them. They can see what happens with Darnold and Mayfield, both of whom have some ability. I don't see it with Corral, but he has some traits that people are drawn to. And end of the day, they still have the flexibility to make moves at QB in the future. 

8 hours ago, Superman said:

Glad to see you posting.

Yeah, I don't know how the Ryan thing is going to work out -- I'm optimistic of course, and I think he's a good fit -- but my initial impression is that we came out in pretty good shape after the Wentz/Ryan moves of the last two offseasons. And once we traded Wentz, I was prepared to see us starting Marcus Mariota or Jameis Winston this season; I wasn't interested in Baker at all. So getting Ryan is a nice end result.

The Panthers have a to find a guy, but they've now collected a good number of darts, without committing too much to any of them. They can see what happens with Darnold and Mayfield, both of whom have some ability. I don't see it with Corral, but he has some traits that people are drawn to. And end of the day, they still have the flexibility to make moves at QB in the future. 

Yeah, I was thinking it was going to be Mariota and a rookie for a while.

Wasn't feeling Winston and definitely wasn't feeling Mayfield. Matt Ryan wad a welcomed surprise. I think it is going to pan out nicely.

Yeah, I dont blame the Panthers for taking a cheap flyer Mayfield to increase their "having a QB" chances.

Idk about Corral either, but while thinking about Mariota I was thinking Corral might end up here with him.

On 7/18/2022 at 4:19 PM, w87r said:

Something you wrote jumped out at me.  We did not pay a 1 and a 2 for Wentz.   We paid Philly a 1 (in 22) and a 3 (in 21).   

Sorry to be the Draft Pick Hall Monitor, but when read that, it jumped off the page at me.  

57 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Something you wrote jumped out at me.  We did not pay a 1 and a 2 for Wentz.   We paid Philly a 1 (in 22) and a 3 (in 21).   

Sorry to be the Draft Pick Hall Monitor, but when read that, it jumped off the page at me.  

Yeah not sure what I was thinking but yes you are clearly correct.

Making it even that much better what Ballard was able to move on from Wentz with. Not too much

1st, 3rd, 7th(WAS)

3rd, conditional 3rd(can be a 2nd), 4th round value(move up 5 spots in 2nd round).

So 3rd for a 3rd

2nd(if Wentz meets conditions) and 4th for 1st and 7th.

58 minutes ago, w87r said:

Yeah not sure what I was thinking but yes you are clearly correct.

Making it even that much better what Ballard was able to move on from Wentz with. Not too much

1st, 3rd, 7th(WAS)

3rd, conditional 3rd(can be a 2nd), 4th round value(move up 5 spots in 2nd round).

So 3rd for a 3rd

2nd(if Wentz meets conditions) and 4th for 1st and 7th.

No worries….   There are lots and lots of moving pieces here.   Constantly.   I know people (including me) are going to get some of this wrong from time to time.   

Honestly….  I thought it was Superman who made the mistake, not you!   Ooops, my bad!  

Good for Mayfield on getting out of that situation. I wasn’t his biggest supporter but he didn’t deserve to be treated like that. 

I’m not sold on Watson. Sure, the Texans weren’t a great supporting group around him, but Luck had bad teams as well and he was able to elevate the team around him. I don’t see Watson as that type of QB. The games he played against us where it came down to him making the winning play ended with turnovers and choke jobs. 

The Browns gonna Browns…

On 7/6/2022 at 8:01 PM, John Hammonds said:

The higher risk impacted positions busted.  The higher floor lower impactful positions worked.  Nothing new here.

But the key to winning is to hit on your higher risk impactful positions.  Vita Vea (DT), Josh Allen (QB), yes.  Minkah Fitz (FS) Nelson (G), not really.  

On 7/6/2022 at 8:01 PM, John Hammonds said:

Nelson was the best pick of them all for us which is hilarious and 2nd best overall. You have to exclude Josh Allen regarding us because we weren't taking him with Andrew Luck as our starter.

14 hours ago, RollerColt said:

Good for Mayfield on getting out of that situation. I wasn’t his biggest supporter but he didn’t deserve to be treated like that. 

I’m not sold on Watson. Sure, the Texans weren’t a great supporting group around him, but Luck had bad teams as well and he was able to elevate the team around him. I don’t see Watson as that type of QB. The games he played against us where it came down to him making the winning play ended with turnovers and choke jobs. 

The Browns gonna Browns…

Good point.  Who benefitted more from Mayfield's move?  Mayfield or the Browns?  I'm betting Mayfield did.

2 hours ago, John Hammonds said:

Good point.  Who benefitted more from Mayfield's move?  Mayfield or the Browns?  I'm betting Mayfield did.

Exactly. The Texans got themselves out of a very difficult situation, thanks to the Browns being overly desperate. 

On 7/19/2022 at 1:52 PM, Myles said:

I think the Panthers got a steal with Mayfield.   

It's almost unbelievable. No other team would give up more for Mayfield? Is he injured? Has he been in trouble with the law? It is surprising that Cleveland gave up on him so soon. 

I would have given up a better pick for him to replace Kirk Cousins. 

Archived