Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Kurt Warner on Matt Ryan

CR91

31 minutes ago, Dark Superman said:

Chris Ballard struck gold this off-season with being able to unload Carson Wentz to the Commanders while being able to acquire Matt Ryan for only a 3rd round pick. Wow.

yeah a good move for sure. it was revealed after the trade that no one was bidding against WASH. so he did pretty good to get that level of compensation for an undesirable QB. 

49 minutes ago, AustinnKaine said:

yeah a good move for sure. it was revealed after the trade that no one was bidding against WASH. so he did pretty good to get that level of compensation for an undesirable QB. 

As far as the commanders knew. All Ballard had to say is he has two offers already and rather it's a buff or not, it doesn't matter because as we know now the colts were gotten cut him anyway.

6 hours ago, Virtuoso80 said:

I noticed our receivers were more open than Atlanta's receivers in those similar plays.  

So if that trend continues it seems Matt could have a pretty good year.  I like Kurt's work.  Easy to follow, easy to understand.

9 minutes ago, gspdx said:

So if that trend continues it seems Matt could have a pretty good year.  I like Kurt's work.  Easy to follow, easy to understand.

I wonder if it had to do with our outstanding run game last year opening up the passing game, letting our receivers get wide open like that.  If that continues, and Matt Ryan's accuracy is great like we are hearing, then it looks like it'll be an explosive offense.

20 hours ago, Rhodelesstraveled said:

I'm not so sure.  Our OL was 30th in pass blocking last year.  Wentz could move and Ryan cannot.  Ryan might be in trouble behind this OL.  

A lot of this is dependant upon the LT position which was a bit of a turnstile last year. Hoping and praying that Raimann is ready sooner rather than later and is capable. 

23 hours ago, Rhodelesstraveled said:

I'm not so sure.  Our OL was 30th in pass blocking last year.  Wentz could move and Ryan cannot.  Ryan might be in trouble behind this OL.  

One of the reasons for the “poor” pass protection was Wentz’s proclivity to hold on to the ball too long. Ryan gets through his reads quicker and gets rid of the ball. 
     Although Ryan is no “Micheal Vick”, he’s not “Phillip Rivers” either. He can run a little.

Besides, you can allude the pass rush, if you have a feel for a pass rusher getting close. I can’t say for certain, but I think Ryan has this ability as well.

Another thing that Wentz did (that drove me crazy), was to lock in on Pittman. He did the same thing in Philadelphia with Ertz. Not only does that increase the chance of an interception or pass breakup, but it makes the offense predictable. (It also reduces the production of the other receivers, creating a narrative of “Pittman and a bunch of guys” by national and local media and some fans).

In short, get through your reads, get rid of the ball quick and spread it around and your going to see a big improvement in the pass protection and passing game in general, this year.

3 hours ago, coltsfeva said:

One of the reasons for the “poor” pass protection was Wentz’s proclivity to hold on to the ball too long. Ryan gets through his reads quicker and gets rid of the ball. 
     Although Ryan is no “Micheal Vick”, he’s not “Phillip Rivers” either. He can run a little.

Besides, you can allude the pass rush, if you have a feel for a pass rusher getting close. I can’t say for certain, but I think Ryan has this ability as well.

Another thing that Wentz did (that drove me crazy), was to lock in on Pittman. He did the same thing in Philadelphia with Ertz. Not only does that increase the chance of an interception or pass breakup, but it makes the offense predictable. (It also reduces the production of the other receivers, creating a narrative of “Pittman and a bunch of guys” by national and local media and some fans).

In short, get through your reads, get rid of the ball quick and spread it around and your going to see a big improvement in the pass protection and passing game in general, this year.

That is not accurate.   The oline is graded independently of qb play.  They dont grade the result of the play but rather the job of the lineman on each play.

4 hours ago, coltsfeva said:

^^^^^^ This guy gets it

5 hours ago, coltsfeva said:

I agree totally.  Wentz really makes his OL look way worse with his poor situational awareness by holding the ball too long, locking down WRs, and ignoring the easy dumpoffs.   I mean, eagles' OL was also rated one of the worse in 2020 when Wentz was their QB.   I expect Commander's OL pass blocking will drop significantly this coming season.

On 7/8/2022 at 8:55 AM, Rhodelesstraveled said:

Injuries and Wentz not making line calls were a big factor. I don't expect similar results.

5 hours ago, Nickster said:

That is not accurate.   The oline is graded independently of qb play.  They dont grade the result of the play but rather the job of the lineman on each play.

I need to understand what they are grading: if a lineman gives up 4 qb sacks and 10 pressures in a year, not because of bad technique but because (in some part), of the QBs inability to go through his reads quickly, isn’t that a consideration? 
      I find it hard to believe that the two can be mutually exclusive, unless I’m missing what you are saying. 

5 hours ago, coltsfeva said:

I need to understand what they are grading: if a lineman gives up 4 qb sacks and 10 pressures in a year, not because of bad technique but because (in some part), of the QBs inability to go through his reads quickly, isn’t that a consideration? 
      I find it hard to believe that the two can be mutually exclusive, unless I’m missing what you are saying. 

Of course there is going to be overlap. It’s not exact .

but yes for instance the oline could keep the pocket clean for longer than average and the QB could still get sacked but the oline actually gets a positive grade on the play even the the play resulted in a sack.  Similarly, a linemen could get used by a pass rusher, give a free run to the QB who sidesteps the rusher and throws a TD.  Even though the play results in a TD the linemen still receives a negative grade for the play.

but mTt Ryan has been one of th most sacked QBs in football for several years now. 

12 hours ago, PRnum1 said:

^^^^^^ This guy gets it

Then why does Ryan get sacked way more than Wentz?

other than 2020, a year that Wentz led the league getting sacked 50 times, Ryan always got sacked significantly more than Wentz.  And in 2020 Ryan was sacked 41 times.

aaannd Ryan led the league getting sacked 48 times in 2019.

wentz got sacked less than Ryan last year too.

there is a seemingly hypnotic Group phenomenon on this board that simply ignores the fact that Ryan is not a quick release guy and gets sacked a ton.

for the non mobile QB group Ryan has one  of the slowest TTT.  The guys slower including Wentz tend to be scramblers.  

I am not saying Ryan is bad but this QuickDraw narrative is just baseless.  Ryan has mainly been a downfield passer in his career who for years now has been taking tons of sacks.

Many great qbs take a lot of TtT and many sacks, but narrative Going o here is just plain fictional.

other than 2020, a year that Wentz led the league getting sacked 50 times, Ryan always got sacked significantly more than Wentz.  And in 2020 Ryan was sacked 41 times.

there is a seemingly hypnotic Group phenomenon on this board that simply ignores the fact that Ryan is not a quick release guy and gets sacked a ton.

for the non mobile QB group Ryan has one  of the slowest TTT.  The guys slower including Wentz tend to be scramblers.  

I am not saying Ryan is bad but this QuickDraw narrative is just baseless.  Ryan has mainly been a downfield passer in his career who for years now has been taking tons of sacks.

Many great qbs take a lot of TtT and many sacks, but narrative Going o here is just plain fictional.

You may be right. His record of being sacked may be on him, for the most part.

But it could be on his receivers not getting open or his O-lines. It could be the level of competition or bad play calling.

There’s a lot of analysts, like Kurt Warner who think he’s perfectly capable of being successful in this system. That narrative didn’t start on this forum.

Let’s see what happens this year.  

Our system is different. Ryan goes through his reads better than Wentz and he uses his RB's much better in the passing game and we have 2 dynamite RB's. If Hines stays healthy, I bet he catches 60 passes like he did with Luck and Rivers. With Wentz, Hines only caught 40 and wasn't used right. Ryan is a such an upgrade over Wentz that it is comical. At work last night, the CBS Radio guy said Matt Ryan sucks and the Colts aren't doing anything with him. His name is Jon Marks, I wanted to call him up so bad and rip him because that is the only CBS radio guy I have heard say that. I got busy at work, so I just turned off the station and took the high road like I have been doing lately with most people. I was thinking this guy is insane. We will win the division and 11 or 12 games and get a top 3 seed, book it The Simpsons GIF by KiwiGo (KGO)- I will remember ol' Johnny around mid season when we are rolling. Probably give him a call but I will be nice being on the air because I am a sweet guy haha 

This Jon Marks dude said "Matt Ryan sucks" - his words. He went on and on about his last 2 years. Matt Ryan actually put up good numbers the last 2 years, the Falcons were bad, he had no team around him. This guy must not watch football but gets paid to talk about it. Matt Ryan is a future a Hall of Famer and a top 25 QB of all-time, he has an MVP, and really should have a SB win. How can anyone in the media say a future Hall of Famer sucks when they have never stepped on the field. That just bothered me. Somethings you just remember but that was mind blowing. I thought Elle Duncan was in the house from ESPNseason 3 laughing GIF

3 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Our system is different. Ryan goes through his reads better than Wentz and he uses his RB's much better in the passing game and we have 2 dynamite RB's. If Hines stays healthy, I bet he catches 60 passes like he did with Luck and Rivers. With Wentz, Hines only caught 40 and wasn't used right. Ryan is a such an upgrade over Wentz that it is comical. At work last night, the CBS Radio guy said Matt Ryan sucks and the Colts aren't doing anything with him. His name is Jon Marks, I wanted to call him up so bad and rip him because that is the only CBS radio guy I have heard say that. I got busy at work, so I just turned off the station and took the high road like I have been doing lately with most people. I was thinking this guy is insane. We will win the division and 11 or 12 games and get a top 3 seed, book it The Simpsons GIF by KiwiGo (KGO)- I will remember ol' Johnny around mid season when we are rolling. Probably give him a call but I will be nice being on the air because I am a sweet guy haha 

While I agree that guy on CBS is wrong and also that Ryan is better, I dont think he is THAT much better than Wentz.  I think he is the 10-20% better that we need to contend with this roster. Thats the difference between missing the playoffs and playing in the AFC championship.

Wentz obviously didnt work out here and its best that he was moved. However, he is still a decent QB that is capable of good play.  He just doesnt have the “it” factor and will end up frustrating fanbases. 

1 hour ago, AwesomeAustin said:

While I agree that guy on CBS is wrong and also that Ryan is better, I dont think he is THAT much better than Wentz.  I think he is the 10-20% better that we need to contend with this roster. Thats the difference between missing the playoffs and playing in the AFC championship.

Wentz obviously didnt work out here and its best that he was moved. However, he is still a decent QB that is capable of good play.  He just doesnt have the “it” factor and will end up frustrating fanbases. 

Yeah the hope is that Ryan will adjust to then Reich scheme like Luck did in 2018.  He went from very slow TTT with the scrambling and downfield passing attack to a more pocket oriented quick TTT passing attack.  Concern is Luck was 10 years younger than Ryan when he made that adjustment.

Also the fact that we had our starting  QB participate in OTA WAS HUGE. We haven’t had that for years. I don’t consider JB the starter in OTA so that didn’t count.  Between lucks hurt shoulder, then not participating in OTA, then retiring, then having two Covid seasons really hurt. It wouldn’t have made a difference if this had been a team playing together for awhile but it’s been a new QB every year. Ryan being in OTA should help us not get off to a slow start.

6 minutes ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

The only reason he got Ryan for so little is because falcons actually did the right thing by him. Let him go to the team he wanted to go too. It wasn’t really genius. 

The credit for Ballard in the Ryan deal was that he remained patient. 

He could have signed Mariotta or Trubisky.   He could have traded for Mayfield or Garapollo.    People on this website were in major meltdown mode over what CB was going to do.    What he did was not panic.   He didn’t rush to get a deal done.   The Ryan deal wouldn’t have happened if we had already filled the position. 

Patience can be your friend. 

46 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

The credit for Ballard in the Ryan deal was that he remained patient. 

He could have signed Mariotta or Trubisky.   He could have traded for Mayfield or Garapollo.    People on this website were in major meltdown mode over what CB was going to do.    What he did was not panic.   He didn’t rush to get a deal done.   The Ryan deal wouldn’t have happened if we had already filled the position. 

Patience can be your friend. 

Yes I agree. But even if he signed one of those it would of been cheap and could of still went after Ryan then we would of had a good backup. I mean Trubisky probably won’t even start in pittsburgh now they drafted a QB. They drafted the one that was most  nfl ready. Mariota probably will start but there is always a chance Ridder surprised and they just let the rookie start since they aren’t really a contender yet. 

4 hours ago, AwesomeAustin said:

I have a chip on my shoulder this year. I have been content for years, enjoyed my 2006 Championship as a fan, but I want 1 more now.  Anyone that can put down Matty Ice has a problem with this guy = Angry Homer Simpson GIF by FOX TV- Matt Ryan deserves a Championship, he has been great and a great leader. We need to sign TY to complete the dream, forget Julio.

12 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I have a chip on my shoulder this year. I have been content for years, enjoyed my 2006 Championship as a fan, but I want 1 more now.  Anyone that can put down Matty Ice has a problem with this guy = Angry Homer Simpson GIF by FOX TV- Matt Ryan deserves a Championship, he has been great and a great leader. We need to sign TY to complete the dream, forget Julio.

Ive noticed and like it!!  Best team we have had since 2009. 

3 minutes ago, AwesomeAustin said:

Ive noticed and like it!!  Best team we have had since 2009. 

I think we could win 12 games this year if everything falls right. Matt just needs be Ice man during the playoffs. I trust him more than Tannehill with a #1 seed but the AFC has a lot of good teams. I can see us going to the AFC Title Game, then who knows??

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I think we could win 12 games this year if everything falls right. Matt just needs be Ice man during the playoffs. I trust him more than Tannehill with a #1 seed but the AFC has a lot of good teams. I can see us going to the AFC Title Game, then who knows??

Im thinking the same but see us going to the 2nd round of the playoffs. Then who knows.  When down to the final 8 teams anything can happen. Just look at last years games.  They could have gone either way.  All i ask for is to be competitive.  If we get beat i can accept that. Wont settle for missing the playoffs or getting bounced first round. This team is stacked and time to perform. 

2 minutes ago, AwesomeAustin said:

Im thinking the same but see us going to the 2nd round of the playoffs. Then who knows.  When down to the final 8 teams anything can happen. Just look at last years games.  They could have gone either way.  All i ask for is to be competitive.  If we get beat i can accept that. Wont settle for missing the playoffs or getting bounced first round. This team is stacked and time to perform. 

Yeah that Final 8 is tough, once you get there it goes either way. 

Archived