Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Michael Pittman's market value after 2022 -- $25m/year

Superman

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply
50 minutes ago, Rhodelesstraveled said:

Nope.  What I am saying is trade Q for a draft pick to get a stud WR in the draft.  Keep the costs low at premium positions using this strategy.  Dont pay QB/WR to an OG. Draft WR/QB every yr until you find one

Put LT in there too.

Yeah because draft picks ALWAYS work out…

This isn’t going to happen Ballard has made it clear they aren’t trading Nelson.  

If they like Pittman and he keeps developing like he has he is exactly what they are trying to find so replacing him seems counter productive.

Look you can try to be the smartest person in the room all you want and you can have any opinion you want but at some point if you want to be taken seriously you need to acknowledge that even though you think something might be the greatest idea in the world it’s not going to happen.  

On 8/5/2022 at 1:41 PM, LiveAndLetAddai said:

Yet, many of them have no issue paying a guard, left tackle money?  I would prefer to spend the money on a premium position first....just my two cents.

I think everyone has issues paying A guard.

But we’re not.    We’re paying THE guard.  

Call it….  The exception to the rule. 

21 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I think everyone has issues paying A guard.

But we’re not.    We’re paying THE guard.  

Call it….  The exception to the rule. 

Oh I have no doubt that Indy will pay Nelson.  My point is that many that are complaining about paying Pitt, have no issue with paying Nelson.  And yes, it certainly is the exception.

Pittman will be paid, Nelson will be paid, Taylor will be paid. Learn to live with it. Leonard was paid as well and deservedly so! Some of these armchair GM's in here make me laugh, we have the best team on paper we have had since 2009 and some people still want to complain and think they are smarter than Ballard. See ya all in the AFC Title Game when Ballard's formula works- Happy Sunday GIF by memecandy

On 8/5/2022 at 8:18 PM, RobertAP said:

I don't have much of an investment here, and I certainly don't have anything against Pittman getting paid, but I don't think that paying top billing for WR's is a good move.

First, the money is best spent elsewhere; DE, DT, OT, CB, and of course, QB.

Second, good QB's can make average WR's into good/great WR's. Who would have considered Wes Welker, Julian Edelman, or Austin Hooper to be a high production player without having a great QB throwing to them? 

Third, WR's are typically the players least involved in the offense, touching the ball on only a few plays per game, seldom being very effective in other aspects of the offense. If you're going to invest big money, wouldn't it be better to invest in players who are more involved, or at least spend the money in a way which gives you better overall players rather than paying for a superstar WR?

I agree with u to an extent. However great wrs can dictat the flow of games even if they don't touch the ball. Elite talents like Chase and Hill etc have a profound effect on a game. Defences focus on them not getting the ball. The opposing defence  can be successfuland shut down Hill or Chase,  but that usually means that another wr is not getting attention and has the opportunity to flourish. Pittman is the latter and not the former. We need Campbell or Pearce to put a little fear in opposing defenses.

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Pittman will be paid, Nelson will be paid, Taylor will be paid. Learn to live with it. Leonard was paid as well and deservedly so! Some of these armchair GM's in here make me laugh, we have the best team on paper we have had since 2009 and some people still want to complain and think they are smarter than Ballard. See ya all in the AFC Title Game when Ballard's formula works- Happy Sunday GIF by memecandy

Like on GM said. U get in trouble when u pay good players like they are great players. In this case u also have to worry about paying great players who play less valued positions. I have my own views on the topics as everyone knows. This is going to be interesting in  how Ballard decides to pay all these guys. They don't play elite positions and the one that does, Pittman, is not an elite player. I think it is kind of a testent to Ballard's drafting that he has not had one player come up for  second contract who plays an elite postion who is seen as an elite player at that  position.

3 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Like on GM said. U get in trouble when u pay good players like they are great players. In this case u also have to worry about paying great players who play less valued positions. I have my own views on the topics as everyone knows. This is going to be interesting in  how Ballard decides to pay all these guys. They don't play elite positions and the one that does, Pittman, is not an elite player. I think it is kind of a testent to Ballard's drafting that he has not had one player come up for  second contract who plays an elite postion who is seen as an elite player at that  position.

You have to pay your best players then hopefully get lucky through the draft and draft a player that you need like an impactful WR. Who is to say Pierce won't be that?

Just now, 2006Coltsbestever said:

You have to pay your best players then hopefully get lucky through the draft and draft a player that you need like an impactful WR. Who is to say Pierce won't be that?

Like I have said. I have a good feeling bout this wr core. I think after this year, we won't be saying Pittman is our best receiver moving forward. Hell, I may go  so far as saying he might be our #3 based on over all talent and what the others will give  us in the up coming years. I think Campbell, Dulin and Pearce have traits that really intrigue me. I have always loved  Campbell.

3 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Like I have said. I have a good feeling bout this wr core. I think after this year, we won't be saying Pittman is our best receiver moving forward. Hell, I may go  so far as saying he might be our #3 based on over all talent and what the others will give  us in the up coming years. I think Campbell, Dulin and Pearce have traits that really intrigue me. I have always loved  Campbell.

I wanted Campbell coming out of the draft. So far I have missed but maybe this will be his time and prove me right.

3 hours ago, Moosejawcolt said:

I agree with u to an extent. However great wrs can dictat the flow of games even if they don't touch the ball. Elite talents like Chase and Hill etc have a profound effect on a game. Defences focus on them not getting the ball. The opposing defence  can be successfuland shut down Hill or Chase,  but that usually means that another wr is not getting attention and has the opportunity to flourish. Pittman is the latter and not the former. We need Campbell or Pearce to put a little fear in opposing defenses.

disagree.  Great defense always neutralize WR.  The last 12 SB show it.  Cap should be spent via ROE.  We haven't won a thing since Q or Pitt are here.  Change up $ allocation in roster building to get a different result.  Our biggest rival just did it.  Why it seems hard to swallow here on our board just makes me scratch my head.  You pay up for difference makers.  I dont think either of these guys make a big enough difference to blow dollars on them. The results since both were drated indicate my counterintuitive choices are correct.  They might not be popular on a fan forum but they aren't crazy.  If we allocate 40-45 million on those two players we will become the NYJ.  

7 minutes ago, Rhodelesstraveled said:

We're in the same boat.  We have to draft a QB high soon.  I think tranition to a new young QB with a stud RB makes a ton of sense.  I just cannot fathom paying Q or Pitt 45 mil a yr wit no LT or QB answers.  

I'm good with paying Nelson big money but not Pittman at this point.  

32 minutes ago, Myles said:

I'm good with paying Nelson big money but not Pittman at this point.  

I’m more worried about JTs contract. I think both Nelson and MPJ can produce enough during their 2nd contracts it can be the cost of doing business.  RBs have been notorious for not living up to their next contract. Hopefully guaranteed money is front loaded and we have an out after two years. 

1 minute ago, AwesomeAustin said:

I’m more worried about JTs contract. I think both Nelson and MPJ can produce enough during their 2nd contracts it can be the cost of doing business.  RBs have been notorious for not living up to their next contract. Hopefully guaranteed money is front loaded and we have an out after two years. 

I agree.   Paying big money for a RB rarely pays off.  

1 hour ago, AwesomeAustin said:

I could see them letting Taylor play a year or two under the franchise tag rather than extending Taylor.

1 hour ago, GoColts8818 said:

I could see them letting Taylor play a year or two under the franchise tag rather than extending Taylor.

Idk? Irsay has been pretty adamant over the years that he wanted an elite back. Tough to see him let one leave.

Although I am right with you on the long contract. Teams usually regret them rather quickly.

27 minutes ago, w87r said:

Idk? Irsay has been pretty adamant over the years that he wanted an elite back. Tough to see him let one leave.

Although I am right with you on the long contract. Teams usually regret them rather quickly.

They did it with Edge in 05.  I could see them doing it again.

32 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

They did it with Edge in 05.  I could see them doing it again.

I think Irsay always regretted letting Edge go. Personally, not business wise, he just loves Edge.

That was 7yrs, almost 2200 carries into his regular season career at that point. Plus major injury, he had worked his way back at that point though.

Probably was the right move to make as he only had 3000yds afterwards in 4 seasons. Did have (2) 1,000yd seasons though.

1 hour ago, w87r said:

I think Irsay always regretted letting Edge go. Personally, not business wise, he just loves Edge.

That was 7yrs, almost 2200 carries into his regular season career at that point. Plus major injury, he had worked his way back at that point though.

Probably was the right move to make as he only had 3000yds afterwards in 4 seasons. Did have (2) 1,000yd seasons though.

Yeah I agree with that.  That’s why I think the franchise tag could be an option for Taylor.  In theory they could do that for three years.  Add that to his rookie contract and that’s seven years.  Anything beyond that is really gambling on a running back, especially one who has had the work load Taylor has had.  That’s going to catch up to him at some point.

i am sure the Colts and Taylor would like to do an extension of some kind.  However, anything beyond three years and I think it’s a bad idea.  I am guessing Taylor might want more than three years.  Also, the other advantage of going year to year with the franchise tag is that when running backs break down they tend to do it almost overnight so if you are going year to year it’s easier to move on.

6 hours ago, Rhodelesstraveled said:

I think KC and the Titans have laid the gauntlet down with WR.  Both teams are saying you cannot pay them.  We will see how Mia and Philly do now that they have ruined their cap.  Ironically both teams have young QB who have major questions which means paying top dollar for WR is more risky.  

They haven't ruined their cap. Philly and the Phins r playing with rookie qbs. They went out and got legit stars and said to Tua and Hurts u got this year or u r gone. They both flame out and both teams will draft a rookie qb next year. Then they will have 4 more years of a qb playing under a rookie contract with stud receivers.

7 hours ago, Myles said:

I expect Campbell to be the Colts best WR this season and that should make Pittman affordable next season.  

Bingo. Read my mind. I have a feeling when Pittman's contract comes due, the Colts will have some tools in the shed to counter with 

12 hours ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Bingo. Read my mind. I have a feeling when Pittman's contract comes due, the Colts will have some tools in the shed to counter with 

From you better not count on Campbell to him being our Best.
 Chuckle! So do we sign Campbell (our best) or Pittman?
  LMAO, as we are still a month from even playing 1 real game.

Archived