Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Chargers vs Colts - 12/26/04 and 12/26/22 - Coincidence or Planned?

I'm not sure if this was ever mentioned on the forum when the schedules were released.  I thought it was interesting that we had a home game against the Chargers on Dec 26th, the anniversary of Manning breaking Marino's TD record at home against the Chargers.  At first I thought coincidence until I realized the anniversary number.  It turns out being the 18th anniversary of that date.  I now think it was planned, a subtle nod to #18 and the Colts by the schedule makers and the NFL. 

Oh and BTW, Happy Independence Day!  

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, MarylandTerrapin said:

I'm not sure if this was ever mentioned on the forum when the schedules were released.  I thought it was interesting that we had a home game against the Chargers on Dec 26th, the anniversary of Manning breaking Marino's TD record at home against the Chargers.  At first I thought coincidence until I realized the anniversary number.  It turns out being the 18th anniversary of that date.  I now think it was planned, a subtle nod to #18 and the Colts by the schedule makers and the NFL. 

Burnie Burns Conspiracy GIF by Rooster Teeth

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

4 hours ago, MarylandTerrapin said:

No such thing ever as a coincidence 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Probably more to do with the Colts and Chargers are fringe playoff teams that could be battling for the postseason that late in the year.  Should be a big game for seeding or possibly an actual playoff spot. 

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Indyfan4life said:

Burnie Burns Conspiracy GIF by Rooster Teeth

Fair enough.  Fast forwarding to December -  If the anniversary connection is mentioned during the ESPN MNF pregame show or game broadcast, then it certainly was planned and I'll make it an "I told you so" moment.  If it's not mentioned, then it was just a coincidence and I'll buy some aluminum foil at the store on Tuesday.

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, MarylandTerrapin said:

Fair enough.  Fast forwarding to December -  If the anniversary connection is mentioned during the ESPN MNF pregame show or game broadcast, then it certainly was planned and I'll make it an "I told you so" moment.  If it's not mentioned, then it was just a coincidence and I'll buy some aluminum foil at the store on Tuesday.

It could be mentioned in the game and STILL be a coincidence.    The making if an NFL schedule is incredibly complex.   Something like a billion possibilities for every team.   Seriously.   It used to be done by human.   Not any more.    It’s done by computer these days.     Honestly, it’s a coincidence.   But that doesn’t mean a sharp eyed production assistant who does research on the game won’t find the factoid.   They’re paid to find nuggets like that.  

• Like 1

I'm thinking that the NFL wanted to schedule teams expected to challenge for playoff berths the final few weekends of the season.

Both the Chargers and the Colts should fall in to that category.  This game could be "flexed" and it's sure shootin' to be a great one.

Thanks for idea though.