Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Sports Illustrated Names 5 Colts Players Who Could Disappoint This Season

List was interesting.  Couple players that have perpetually been disappointments, a second year late round rookie, and a second year UDFA.  Bold choices

• Haha 5

Encouraging.

Most on that list have already shown some disappointment. IF you can be disappointing by being replaced....all good. If you are "the" guy and have no backup and listed as a possible disappointment....that's not good. 

I'm glad I'm not the type to waste my time scouring the internet on stories of my team or other nfl franchises. 

Not when writers have little knowledge of what they are talking about, but I guess it's their job to write stories, so they do, but not many worthy of reading.

How can Campbell be a Disappointment when few here expect him to stay healthy and put in a full season. Hopefull but not expected. 

How can Faycson be a Disappointment when he's mostly been a backup or rotational player and is currently not  a starting corner for the colts

Granson, a unheralded mid round draft pick, has played very sparingly and shown nothing to get the fanbase excited or expected of great things. Of course again fans are hopeful he has a second season jump from his rookie campaign but doubt anyone will be Disappointed if he doesnt.

Strachan, a very late round pick or UEFA, I forget, is another one we're hopeful steps up and uses his physical traits but are we reallly, really  expecting him too where if he doesn't were Disapointed? 

This isn't a knock on OP or anyone stumbling on and posting stories about the colts. At the very least it's something in the offseason. 

But like the Talking Heads on tv, it seems writers are mostly not worth hearing. Lol

• Like 4

If it was Elle Duncan, she would've had Matt Ryan #1. Her hate for him is sickening. She works for ESPN and is from Atlanta and just bashes him. Lets see how good the Falcons are without him lmao . My over/under wins for Atlanta this year is 4.5. Good luck with Mariota happy homer simpson GIF

• Like 2

The list wasn't all that thought provoking.

Campbell - long history of injury, so the only surprise for people, would be if he actually stayed healthy.

• Granson - had hands issues in college, and still reported issues in OTAs. Nothing shocking. Now he's got 2 guys with high end athletic traits to compete with. I think Reich will continue to use him like last season (like he used Burton the year prior). His blocking isn't exactly great either, but he's probably better than Woods in that are at this point. 
  • Facyson - he was a borderline guy in Vegas last season, so not sure anyone really expected a ton in the first place. Yes he followed Gus here, but right after signing Facyson, we signed Gilmore. IMO, he'll end up in the rotation of 4 guys and get a decent amount of snaps. If Moore's situation blows up, he'll be required to do more.
  • Lewis - assuming he's healed and back to 100%, he'll be what he's been. And that's a rotational depth piece. He and Dayo will be competing for snaps behind Buckner, Paye, and Ngakoue. I don't envision either rook being a serious threat for significant snaps. 
  • Strachan - sure he's interesting. But not sure anyone expects him to be a key component in the WR unit given we're overstocked with 6-3 and above WRs. I'd love to see him, or any of the other guys for that matters, have a big camp and emerge. 

For me, I think it's a big year for Oke and Blackmon. Expectations for both have been high at some point. Oke never took the step forward after his rook season. Not saying he's horrible, just simply that he's not lived up to his rook year's hype. And with the scheme change, Blackmon's job changes a lot. And he'll have a vet with true C3 FS experience  to compete with, and perhaps a hungry rook with flex traits.

I probably would have added Dayo to the list as well. Expectations are high for him this season. Will this be the steal that Ballard thought, or become just another iffy DE draft pick. I like his chances though. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Not a very head turning list.  I guess i will give it a shot with the disclaimer i dont think this will happen. Just posing real questions about players supposed to provide an impact this season. 

1.  Matt Ryan.  How much does he have left in the tank?  Coming off one of his worst years in his career will he be able to rebound. 

2. Stephon Gilmore. Is he on a steady spiral due to age and injuries?  NE shipped him out of town for peanuts. Belichek is pretty good at knowing when to ship a player out one year early than one year late. 

3. Darius Leonard. Injuries keep piling up for a player that has gotten off to one of the best starts for a LB in NFL history. He was able to play through a bad ankle last year and remain a turnover machine. Can he keep it up?  

4. Mo Alie Cox. Signed to a new 3yr deal to lead the TE room with Jack Doyl retiring. Will he make the next step?  Has shown a lot of glimpses but seems to disappear for long stretches. 

5. Dayo Odeyingbo.  Recovering from a torn Achilles kept him from providing any kind of impact in the 10 games he played in.  5 tackles, .5 sacks is a stat line a good starter can put up per game. That was Dayo’s contribution for the entire season. Another traitsy 2nd round DE pick by Ballard, will he be able to break the trend and provide true starter worthy snaps?  

IIRC, Philip Rivers was coming off one of his career worst seasons when he signed with the Colts - he did "okay" with a rookies Pittman & JT in starting offensive roles.

Matt Ryan gets the both of them with 2 years apiece of NFL experience as starters, and Taylor fresh off a Pro Bowl season in which he made a serious run at NFL MVP.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Lancer1 said:

IIRC, Philip Rivers was coming off one of his career worst seasons when he signed with the Colts - he did "okay" with a rookies Pittman & JT in starting offensive roles.

Matt Ryan gets the both of them with 2 years apiece of NFL experience as starters, and Taylor fresh off a Pro Bowl season in which he made a serious run at NFL MVP.

Rivers did good to great IMO. Top 25 ever. Ryan has a team now that is more seasoned. That will help him.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Rivers did good to great IMO. Top 25 ever. Ryan has a team now that is more seasoned. That will help him.

I put okay in quotation marks to symbolize sarcasm, Rivers did better than most expected him to in his lone season in Indy and Matty Ice will benefit from a more experienced team at most skill positions than Philip had, and that bodes well for us.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Patagonia Chris said:

Who is the second year UDFA? 

Misspoke.  Had thought Strachan was UDFA but he was drafted, though in the 7th and final round

17 hours ago, Lancer1 said:

Just speaks to how good Rivers was. 

5 minutes ago, shasta519 said:

Just speaks to how good Rivers was. 

Certainly.    But maybe — maybe — it also speaks to how Frank handles his QBs.  I know there’s a segment of our community that would never credit Frank for much,  but just perhaps Rivers had a very good year because Frank was his coach.    

I don’t know if this post is directed at you, Shasta, honestly I don’t know what your position on Frank is?    It’s just intended for the anti-Frank crowd in general. 

12 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Certainly.    But maybe — maybe — it also speaks to how Frank handles his QBs.  I know there’s a segment of our community that would never credit Frank for much,  but just perhaps Rivers had a very good year because Frank was his coach.    

I don’t know if this post is directed at you, Shasta, honestly I don’t know what your position on Frank is?    It’s just intended for the anti-Frank crowd in general. 

I don't really want to derail the thread, but having been poked I have to poke back. :D

Noone is denying Reich's ability to get QBs to play at a (for them) high level.

Brissett had his best season here,

Rivers had a good to great season here after a bad year at the Chargers,

Wentz had a good-ish season (even if he was a liability with the ball in his hands by the end of the season) after a bad one with the Eagles.

My gripes (and I suspect most of his criticizers) with Reich are his playcalling and situational awareness in games.

1 hour ago, Solid84 said:

I don't really want to derail the thread, but having been poked I have to poke back. :D

Noone is denying Reich's ability to get QBs to play at a (for them) high level.

Brissett had his best season here,

Rivers had a good to great season here after a bad year at the Chargers,

Wentz had a good-ish season (even if he was a liability with the ball in his hands by the end of the season) after a bad one with the Eagles.

My gripes (and I suspect most of his criticizers) with Reich are his playcalling and situational awareness in games.

If you think no one is denying Frank gets the best out of his quarterbacks then you’re nit reading all the threads.    There certainly is one and he posts the same nonsense in a variety of threads.    Sorry, I wasn’t trying to poke you specifically.    But there IS one.   

• Like 1

3 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

If you think no one is denying Frank gets the best out of his quarterbacks then you’re nit reading all the threads.    There certainly is one and he posts the same nonsense in a variety of threads.    Sorry, I wasn’t trying to poke you specifically.    But there IS one.   

No it's all good, don't worry about it. :default_20smile:

Must have missed his posts, my bad. :thmup:

2 hours ago, Solid84 said:

No it's all good, don't worry about it. :default_20smile:

Must have missed his posts, my bad. :thmup:

Not your bad.   And certainly no need to apologize.   I don’t expect everyone to know what’s going on in all the conversations that are going on here.   Way too much.    But the poster will NOT surprise you or anyone else.   

Thanks anyway…..      :thmup:

• Like 1