Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

3 reasons Colts will make the playoffs this season.

Bolt Colt

3 reasons Colts will make the playoffs this season

by Pacey Strickland

The Indianapolis Colts missed the playoffs last year, but after a quality offseason, they are set up to make the postseason in 2022.

The Indianapolis Colts missed the playoffs last year after a shocking loss in the final week of the season to the Jacksonville Jaguars. The front office spent this offseason correcting some of their mistakes from last year as well as adding pieces to an already talented roster.

These additions have Colts fans not just hoping for a playoff run, but expecting it. Indy comes into next season with the highest expectations since the departure of Andrew Luck. I believe fans are in luck because Indianapolis will be a playoff team this year.

There are several things working for Indy’s playoff hopes but three really stick out. Let’s take a look at the three main reasons the Colts will make the postseason.

Reason No. 1: Colts play in a weak division

If you take a look at the moves the other teams in the AFC South made, the division actually got weaker this offseason. The Tennessee Titans have been Indy’s biggest competition in the division for the past few years and they made some questionable moves this offseason.

Tennessee traded away AJ Brown on draft night, then replaced him with rookie wideout Treylon Burks, who has already been listed to have bust potential. The Titans also added wideout Robert Woods, but he is coming off of a torn ACL.

Taking a look at the top of the AFC South, it would likely be Indianapolis and Tennessee battling for the number one spot again. The Colts had a better offseason compared to Tennessee and will have the better roster this upcoming season.

The Jacksonville Jaguars and the Houston Texans sat at the bottom of the AFC South last year and that should be the case again this year. The Jaguars have started to acquire some young talent, but they’re still in the early stages of a rebuild. The Texans have a long rebuild ahead of them and will be in contention to be the worst team in the NFL next season.

Reason No. 2: Colts will have a top-five defense

The Colts added a plethora of talent to an already elite defense. In the offseason, Indy acquired former Defensive Player of the Year Stephon Gilmore, and talented pass rusher Yannick Ngakoue, and added depth to a number of positions.

It’s not just possible that the Colts have a top-five defense next season, it’s very likely. Last season, Indy had the ninth-ranked defense. So, with the offseason moves, I expect this defense to be even better.

Part of what I expect to make this defense so elite is linebacker, Darius Leonard. He has been one of the more opportunistic linebackers in all of football over the course of his career. That was highlighted last season when Leonard had a league-high eight forced fumbles.

Fans should also expect to see a year-two leap for defensive end Kwity Paye. It will be hard for teams to key in on Paye with Deforest Buckner and Ngakoue on the defensive line. All of these factors should make the Colts have an elite defense again in 2022.

Reason No. 3: Matt Ryan adds stability to Colts’ offense

The biggest reason the Colts will be back in the playoffs in 2022 is Matt Ryan. The Colts missed leadership at the quarterback position in 2022 and time and time again, Carson Wentz failed to come through in the clutch moments.

Matt Ryan brings the intangibles that Indy needs in order to get to that next level. He has experience in most situations in the NFL, he’s played in a Super Bowl, and he has been one of the healthiest quarterbacks throughout his career. Over the course of his fourteen-year career, Matt Ryan has only missed three games.

Matt Ryan is a known leader and he has already shown that in Indianapolis. The Colts will never be completely out of a game with Matt Ryan at the helm. Matt Ryan is tied for seventh in all-time fourth-quarter comebacks for a quarterback, so he will always be able to help the team battle.

Additionally, with Ryan’s play style, he should fit in really well in Frank Reich’s offense and really help Indy’s young developing receivers. Bringing along the receivers will improve the passing game and make the Colts’ offense even more dangerous.

With Matt Ryan and an elite defense for Indianapolis, fans should be excited for the upcoming run in 2022.

1 hour ago, Bolt Colt said:

by Pacey Strickland

The Indianapolis Colts missed the playoffs last year, but after a quality offseason, they are set up to make the postseason in 2022.

The Indianapolis Colts missed the playoffs last year after a shocking loss in the final week of the season to the Jacksonville Jaguars. The front office spent this offseason correcting some of their mistakes from last year as well as adding pieces to an already talented roster.

These additions have Colts fans not just hoping for a playoff run, but expecting it. Indy comes into next season with the highest expectations since the departure of Andrew Luck. I believe fans are in luck because Indianapolis will be a playoff team this year.

There are several things working for Indy’s playoff hopes but three really stick out. Let’s take a look at the three main reasons the Colts will make the postseason.

If you take a look at the moves the other teams in the AFC South made, the division actually got weaker this offseason. The Tennessee Titans have been Indy’s biggest competition in the division for the past few years and they made some questionable moves this offseason.

Tennessee traded away AJ Brown on draft night, then replaced him with rookie wideout Treylon Burks, who has already been listed to have bust potential. The Titans also added wideout Robert Woods, but he is coming off of a torn ACL.

Taking a look at the top of the AFC South, it would likely be Indianapolis and Tennessee battling for the number one spot again. The Colts had a better offseason compared to Tennessee and will have the better roster this upcoming season.

The Jacksonville Jaguars and the Houston Texans sat at the bottom of the AFC South last year and that should be the case again this year. The Jaguars have started to acquire some young talent, but they’re still in the early stages of a rebuild. The Texans have a long rebuild ahead of them and will be in contention to be the worst team in the NFL next season.

The Colts added a plethora of talent to an already elite defense. In the offseason, Indy acquired former Defensive Player of the Year Stephon Gilmore, and talented pass rusher Yannick Ngakoue, and added depth to a number of positions.

It’s not just possible that the Colts have a top-five defense next season, it’s very likely. Last season, Indy had the ninth-ranked defense. So, with the offseason moves, I expect this defense to be even better.

Part of what I expect to make this defense so elite is linebacker, Darius Leonard. He has been one of the more opportunistic linebackers in all of football over the course of his career. That was highlighted last season when Leonard had a league-high eight forced fumbles.

Fans should also expect to see a year-two leap for defensive end Kwity Paye. It will be hard for teams to key in on Paye with Deforest Buckner and Ngakoue on the defensive line. All of these factors should make the Colts have an elite defense again in 2022.

The biggest reason the Colts will be back in the playoffs in 2022 is Matt Ryan. The Colts missed leadership at the quarterback position in 2022 and time and time again, Carson Wentz failed to come through in the clutch moments.

Matt Ryan brings the intangibles that Indy needs in order to get to that next level. He has experience in most situations in the NFL, he’s played in a Super Bowl, and he has been one of the healthiest quarterbacks throughout his career. Over the course of his fourteen-year career, Matt Ryan has only missed three games.

Matt Ryan is a known leader and he has already shown that in Indianapolis. The Colts will never be completely out of a game with Matt Ryan at the helm. Matt Ryan is tied for seventh in all-time fourth-quarter comebacks for a quarterback, so he will always be able to help the team battle.

Additionally, with Ryan’s play style, he should fit in really well in Frank Reich’s offense and really help Indy’s young developing receivers. Bringing along the receivers will improve the passing game and make the Colts’ offense even more dangerous.

With Matt Ryan and an elite defense for Indianapolis, fans should be excited for the upcoming run in 2022.

Great stuff as usual. I simply have us making the playoffs because I think we win the division. We haven't clearly been the best team in the division since 2014. Are we clearly the best team now, NO, because Tennessee is good but I think we are better. If I had to put a % on us winning the division, I would have us as of now at 51% - over 50%, Tennessee 41%. Why the 51% and 41% numbers?? Because something goofy could happen so I have Jacks at a 7% chance and the Texans at 1% - there is always a chance, based on 100%. Jacks will be improved, I am actually glad we get them early at their house because they may get rolling mid season.

1 hour ago, Bolt Colt said:

by Pacey Strickland

1) We’re 14-10 in the division since 2018. Everyone in the division has gotten better or are as good as last year when we went 3-3. I’ll believe it when I see it. 

2) Lofty expectations. I think top 5 is a best case scenario assuming everthing just clicks. Top 10 is where I hope we will end up. 

3) Ryan is propably the best thing to happen for the Colts since we landed Luck. I hope he settles in and we get a handful of good years out of him. 

9 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

1) We’re 14-10 in the division since 2018. Everyone in the division has gotten better or are as good as last year when we went 3-3. I’ll believe it when I see it. 

2) Lofty expectations. I think top 5 is a best case scenario assuming everthing just clicks. Top 10 is where I hope we will end up. 

3) Ryan is propably the best thing to happen for the Colts since we landed Luck. I hope he settles in and we get a handful of good years out of him. 

I think we go 5-1 in the division this year but the key to that is winning the first 2 games, winning at Jacks lmao . I have feeling us and Tennessee both go 11-6 but they go 4-2 in the division so we get the tiebreaker. Just an early prediction.

11 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I think we go 5-1 in the division this year but the key to that is winning the first 2 games, winning at Jacks lmao . I have feeling us and Tennessee both go 11-6 but they go 4-2 in the division so we get the tiebreaker. Just an early prediction.

I’ve honestly thought we should be going 4-2 to 6-0 in the division every year, yet here we are…

I hope Ryan will stop us from consistently losing to one of the worst teams in football. 

Just now, Solid84 said:

I’ve honestly thought we should be going 4-2 to 6-0 in the division every year, yet here we are…

I hope Ryan will stop us from consistently losing to one of the worst teams in football. 

Yeah me too. I have to honestly say the best thing that happened to this team was us losing that game at Jacks to end the season. At the time I was pee'd off, disappointed, but it made Ballard and Irsay to make major upgrades to make a run at a SB and at least win the division. 2022 is a make or break year for a lot of guys. Frank has to show he can get this team to the next level, Matt Ryan needs to prove he is still good, Pittman needs to prove he can be a #1, Taylor needs to prove he can duplicate what he did last year. 

the article reeked too much of pro Colts bias.  He's a Colts fan, but it make me want to take it with a big grain of salt.  

Top 5 defense seems like a stretch before they even take the field.  We did lose a couple pieces and have a new defensive coordinator.   I suppose I would put top 5 as the ceiling and top 15 as the floor with us landing somewhere in between. 

I think Jacksonville will be improved. I wouldn’t be surprised if we split with both Jacksonville and Tennessee.

Having said that, they could go 6-0 or 5-1 in the division, but the Colts need to address their mental/emotional state when they had beaten Arizona and were”headed to the playoffs”. (And I believe they will).
    There’s a thin line between arrogance and confidence, between believing in yourselves and overlooking the opposition.
   Did they “coast” a bit, last year? Some articles/ player comments would indicate that they did. Maybe they lost a sense of urgency and those kinds of things can be contagious.

I hope they learn a lesson from their collapse.

They added pieces that could put them in the upper bracket of the AFC. They’ve beaten a few of those teams and could have beaten some others. Their receiving corps is underrated by a lot of analysts, fans and commentators.

There’s reason for optimism.

53 minutes ago, Myles said:

the article reeked too much of pro Colts bias.  He's a Colts fan, but it make me want to take it with a big grain of salt.  

Top 5 defense seems like a stretch before they even take the field.  We did lose a couple pieces and have a new defensive coordinator.   I suppose I would put top 5 as the ceiling and top 15 as the floor with us landing somewhere in between. 

Agreed.  He lost his audience when he said "added players to an already elite defense".  They may have ranked 9th, but they reeked in getting stops at critical times, IMO.  And never looked highly competent against playoff caliber offenses.

The Colts added a plethora of talent to an already elite defense.

The Colts defense was pretty good last season, but not elite.

• Elite at TOs (but that's hard to rely on year to year)
  • Really strong run defense
  • Near the bottom in pass rushing
  • Middle of the pack pass defense
  • #11 in pts/allowed and #17 in pts/drive

I think that the additions they can made should get them a step closer, but expecting a top 5 defense is a tall order.

2 hours ago, Myles said:

Seems to be a theme with a lot of these articles coming out. 

...time and time again, Carson Wentz failed to come through in the clutch moments.

A quote like that is just hyperbole and narrative-driven. It was the volatility, not that he always failed. Can't trust a QB like that when you have to win 3-4 games against the NFL's best.

1. we have a bottom 5 strength of schedule
  2. Ryan will be reinvigorated
  3. moving away from a read/react DL to a more downhill one gap scheme

The writer of the article is smoking something if he thinks our D was elite last year. 

We played soft and got abused by a lot of QBs. 

3 hours ago, Myles said:

Yeah I was thinking top 10. Which I will still take as long as we get our normal turnovers.

43 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

1. we have a bottom 5 strength of schedule
  2. Ryan will be reinvigorated
  3. moving away from a read/react DL to a more downhill one gap scheme

The writer of the article is smoking something if he thinks our D was elite last year. 

We played soft and got abused by a lot of QBs. 

Yeah one thing I have noticed about the media in general even, they seem to say we had an elite D last year lately. Usually we don't get much praise which is strange many boast about our D. We got picked apart in many games, our D was good but good and great/elite are 2 different things.

19 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Yeah one thing I have noticed about the media in general even, they seem to say we had an elite D last year lately. Usually we don't get much praise which is strange many boast about our D. We got picked apart in many games, our D was good but good and great/elite are 2 different things.

We played bend don't break. And we broke a lot lol... 

Media, both national and local, have been getting worse and worse. The local guys, at least most of them, overly sunshine pump and are afraid to be critical fearing the loss of access. The national guys are mostly hot take guys that rely on others to provide them cheat cards on stats, etc.. They also fear losing team access if critical. Some of the team specific fringe media are decent, as they don't really have access in the first place (so their not worried), and they're not trying to report on 32 teams. 

Regardless, not a lot of good journalism out there these days. Mostly vanilla regurgitations, sunshine, and click bait. 

Elite defense last year???   Lol

A lot will depend  on a few of the key players on OFFENSE:

Will Ryan stay healthy and play at a good level?

Will JT stay healthy and be productive similar to last year?

Will the OL improve in Pass Blocking and give Ryan sufficient time to throw and limit the number of times he gets hit?

Will Pittman, are only proven WR stay healthy & productive?

Our Offense has some potential but mostly with young, unproven players. 

The OL has question marks and was ranked #31 in pass blocking last year.

I think this team needs Ryan, JT, and Pittman to all  be healthy for this offense to be successful AND have a couple youngsters step up AND the OL not to be a liability.

As far as the Defense is concerned, it is secondary compared to the Offense. ...meaning were not playing in a league where you win 9-6 very often regardless of its Defensive ranking. There are many gunslingers in the AFC with multiple weapons at their and the OC's disposal that will score points more often than not on any of todays Defenses.

In other words our Defense may be good but it's a offensive league and our team strength may be on the wrong side of the ball. 

But there are 14 teams that makes the playoffs and the colts have their shot at being one of those teams....the trick is getting in and making a playoff run!

29 minutes ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

Elite defense last year???   Lol

A lot will depend  on a few of the key players on OFFENSE:

Will Ryan stay healthy and play at a good level?

Will JT stay healthy and be productive similar to last year?

Will the OL improve in Pass Blocking and give Ryan sufficient time to throw and limit the number of times he gets hit?

Will Pittman, are only proven WR stay healthy & productive?

Our Offense has some potential but mostly with young, unproven players. 

The OL has question marks and was ranked #31 in pass blocking last year.

I think this team needs Ryan, JT, and Pittman to all  be healthy for this offense to be successful AND have a couple youngsters step up AND the OL not to be a liability.

As far as the Defense is concerned, it is secondary compared to the Offense. ...meaning were not playing in a league where you win 9-6 very often regardless of its Defensive ranking. There are many gunslingers in the AFC with multiple weapons at their and the OC's disposal that will score points more often than not on any of todays Defenses.

In other words our Defense may be good but it's a offensive league and our team strength may be on the wrong side of the ball. 

But there are 14 teams that makes the playoffs and the colts have their shot at being one of those teams....the trick is getting in and making a playoff run!

Couple comments...

• I think the biggest X factor on O is if Campbell can stay healthy. If he can, our pass catching unit ranks go up a lot. It was very obvious he and Ryan have good chemistry in OTAs. 
  • Even with the Moore situation, I think the biggest mystery on D is FS. Gus's system requires a true centerfielder. Not sure Blackmon is that guy. A few depth chart projections have McLeod as the FS to start the year. Not sure if that projection is simply because of Blackmon's injury status (and they know McLeod has experience at FS), or because they think McLeod is simply a better centerfielder prospect.  McLeod's age worries me a bit, but his grade history gives me some confidence. 
  • I'm not all that worried about our schedule, in terms of the passing Os we'll face. Chargers will be an elite O, Broncos will be very good and well rounded. KC will take a step back IMO without Hill, but probably get going later in the season once some of the young guys and new FAs start to gel. Glad we get them early. Dallas will be good, but Prescott is a mixed bag. There are some other mixed bag Os on our schedule, but we play a lot of bad Os too. At least 8 or 9. 

On 6/30/2022 at 6:33 AM, Bolt Colt said:

by Pacey Strickland

The passing game will take a big step up. In combination with improved Oline play, a strong running game and developing receiver play, the O will be on the field longer. Therefore,  they will score points, increased time of possession and keep this undersized D off the field. When the D hits the field, they will be fresh and attack the qb. That's how  this team is built.  Get up early and allow the front to attack. Stay on the bench sipping Gatorade and attack like mad because the D line is fresh.  Easy formula actually lol.

On 6/30/2022 at 9:53 AM, Solid84 said:

Well summed up. 

I really think we can have a top 10 offense, defense and special teams. Just a well rounded team that can hurt you several ways. The x factor to me will be the pass rush. It needs to take the next step this year.  If we can get after the Qb while playing keep away on offense and the occasional big play orchestrated by Ryan...we will be tough to beat. 

I also wonder what rookie is going to make a difference. One of them will step up. Im thinking Cross as a safety but the LT position will be one to watch as well. All of these rookies are insane athletes and have the chance to bring explosive plays to our team. They will certainly get their opportunities.  

15 hours ago, Moosejawcolt said:

The passing game will take a big step up. In combination with improved Oline play, a strong running game and developing receiver play, the O will be on the field longer. Therefore,  they will score points, increased time of possession and keep this undersized D off the field. When the D hits the field, they will be fresh and attack the qb. That's how  this team is built.  Get up early and allow the front to attack. Stay on the bench sipping Gatorade and attack like mad because the D line is fresh.  Easy formula actually lol.

I agree. An offense that can get those 3rd downs and continue to move the chains is a defense's best friend. Ryan should keep the O on the field longer and more often than last year under Wentz; the D will be fresher and better as a result. 

Archived