Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colt's Matt Ryan among QB's most likely to improve in 2022.

Bolt Colt

Colts' Matt Ryan among QBs 'most likely to improve' in 2022

Kevin Hickey 

Matt Ryan will be the fifth different starting quarterback under center for the Indianapolis Colts in as many years, and both sides are hoping for a fresh start.

As the Colts hope to end the cycle of starting quarterbacks taking over, Ryan is hoping to revive his career over the final few years he has left. The 37-year-old didn’t have the strongest campaign in 2021, but the expectation is that he bounces back with his new team.

In the eyes of Conor McQuiston of Pro Football Focus, Ryan is among the quarterbacks “most likely to improve” during the 2022 season.

The model is optimistic about Ryan, which is almost entirely based on the improvement in surroundings in Indianapolis compared to Atlanta in 2021. There is room to argue that, considering the much better offensive line, Ryan’s pre-2021 results and Michael Pittman Jr., the model is underselling Ryan’s potential 2022 outcomes and he should be on par with Tua and Hurts.

Ryan is entering an offense that should cater to his abilities. His quick release and pre-snap diagnoses blend perfectly with what Frank Reich wants to do on the offensive side of the ball. Ryan’s ability to set up his receivers after the catch is also a huge aspect that should return to the passing game in 2022.

The Colts don’t need Ryan to be in his 2016 MVP form. Of course, that would be welcomed. But the Colts know they can control the game with their rushing attack and offensive line while taking shots down the field against favorable looks with their speedy receivers.

Ryan dealt with a porous supporting cast and a first-year head coach during the 2021 season in Atlanta. What the Colts have established already should lead to a smooth transition for the veteran while giving him the opportunity to regress toward the mean of his career.

2 hours ago, EastStreet said:

Given the upgrades to the OL at Miami (they were worst in the NFL last season), and the addition of Hill to pair with Waddle, I think Tua is likely to top the list above. 

As good as the AFC was last year, all of the borderline playoff teams got even better, clearly.  Its tough to predict how well the Colts should do at this point, IMO.

11 minutes ago, DougDew said:

As good as the AFC was last year, all of the borderline playoff teams got even better, clearly.  Its tough to predict how well the Colts should do at this point, IMO.

Well, we had one of easiest SoS's last season, and again one of the easiest this season. 

I think we have the 6th easiest this season.... 

So if we don't make the playoffs with the 6th easiest schedule, not sure what to say. Except... Frank.... 

27 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Well, we had one of easiest SoS's last season, and again one of the easiest this season. 

So if we don't make the playoffs with the 6th easiest schedule, not sure what to say. Except... Frank.... 

Well….  You could say if the problem is viewed as the offense then Frank could be pn a hot seat.   

But….   If the problem is viewed as the defense,  then the issue may be viewed as Bradley and/or Ballard.   

44 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Well….  You could say if the problem is viewed as the offense then Frank could be pn a hot seat.   

But….   If the problem is viewed as the defense,  then the issue may be viewed as Bradley and/or Ballard.   

I agree. 

But somehow, I think Bradley will do fine. We've got 3 guys coaching on D that have HC/DC backgrounds (Bradley, Fox, Smith). My only concern to be honest is a concern that was echoed by one of ESPN's guys (I think Barnwell).  And that concern is, do we have the right FS for his C3 scheme. Just not sure Blackmon can be a true center fielder. As you know, I've thought he should have been a SS since year one.

But overall, between Defo, Ngakoue, Paye, Leonard, Moore, Gilmore, that's 6 truly legit talents. I can't imagine the D stinking. 

Looking at our schedule, just can't find a reason that we shouldn't win 10-11 games. And if our OL and DL live up to the PFF ranks, no reason we shouldn't win at least 12. 

12 hours ago, EastStreet said:

11 hours ago, EastStreet said:

Looking at our schedule, just can't find a reason that we shouldn't win 10-11 games. And if our OL and DL live up to the PFF ranks, no reason we shouldn't win at least 12. 

It seems that you have already established a (high) bar by which you will validate your forthcoming criticisms of Frank this season. 

I don't look at HCs as being chess players, where the battle is between two HCs moving immobile pieces on a board from the sideline.  Or worse, both HCs playing the kids hockey game, where they use metal rods to push, pull, and twirl each player from the sidelines.  Sometimes the forum comments read like they are written by inward looking company managers, where team performance is the result of a highly centralized top-down/controlling decision making thing.    

To reach the playoffs this year in the tough AFC, or to win those lofty 12 games, I see things needing to happen on the field to make us better than last year:

Pryor and Pinter will have to individually grade out at least as good all season long as they did for a few games last season.  Frank can't make the blocks.

The rest of the oline returning to normal health.  Frank doesn't fix backaches.

PC will have to stay healthy.  Frank can't make him heal.

If not PC, Pierce will have to contribute (I think just having his speed, size and hands on the boundary will add something to the O that wasn't there last season)

Woods himself will have to catch the ball better than he has shown in OTAs.

Moe himself will have to block as well and move better than Doyle did even in his final seasons (something that Moe hasn't consistently done).

Ryan himself will have to make the layups and avoid ints (I see this happening)

Yannick will have to be as productive as he was in LVR under the same DC (if not, we should say that the other three LVR DL players are better than our other three).

Rodgers will have to play as well as he did last season( I see this happening no problem).

Gilmore at least equaling RYS (likely)

The safety play being better (not hard to top last year's).

I see good things for the DL and the secondary compared to what was playing last season.   I see Ryan doing the things Wentz didn't.  The receiving corps and oline are big question marks.  Unlike a chess piece or a toy hockey player, the individual players have to perform. 

Archived