Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Darius Leonard has taken a Colts title that once belonged to Ty Hilton.

Bolt Colt

Darius Leonard has taken a Colts title that once belonged to TY Hilton

by Jaleel Grandberry

The Indianapolis Colts are fortunate to have Darius Leonard and experts now believe he holds a title that was once held by TY Hilton.

One of the leaders, and overall best players, for the Indianapolis Colts, is Darius Leonard. The linebacker is set to enter his fifth season and has already established himself as one of the best defenders in the NFL.

Since entering the NFL as a rookie, Darius Leonard has had an indelible impact on the Colts. In his first season, Leonard led the league in tackles and was named First-Team All-Pro. Since then, Maniac has turned into a turnover-forcing machine and has been selected to three Pro Bowls and four All-Pro teams.

He’s an absolute gem for Indianapolis and they are lucky to have him secured for many more years. However, this is a fate that not many saw coming. When Leonard was selected in the second round, 36th overall, of the 2018 Draft, many ridiculed Indy for the pick. He was even considered one of the worst picks of the Draft.

Now, that tune has changed. In a recent piece by Michael Renner for PFF, Leonard is named the best value draft pick for the Colts since 2006. Renner writes, “This was T.Y. Hilton last year, but after Leonard’s fourth straight impressive season to start his career, he gets the nod.”

Darius Leonard named best value draft pick for Colts

TY Hilton was selected in the third round of the 2012 Draft, 92nd overall, and he developed into something that not many expected. Hilton was one of the NFL’s best receivers the last decade and established himself as the third-best wideout in franchise history.

There’s a chance that Hilton can return to the team and contribute to history but that remains to be seen. However, Hilton has passed the “best value draft pick” baton to Darius Leonard.

Leonard is the heartbeat of the Colts and leads the team in every way possible. Whether it’s with his yelling, dancing, or punchouts of the football, Leonard energizes Indianapolis and helps them win games. The rest of the league now sees in Leonard what the Colts saw when they drafted an undersized linebacker out of South Carolina State in the second round of the Draft.

PFF IND Colts

Linebackers with the lowest missed tackle rates since 2018

De’Vondre Campbell: 5%

Bobby Wagner: 5%

Darius Leonard: 6%

• Like 2

• Bolt Colt changed the title to Darius Leonard has taken a Colts title that once belonged to Ty Hilton.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

• No registered users viewing this page.
  • Thread of the Week

• Topics

• DC's had figured out how to beat Wentz.  The book on beating Wentz was to stack the box and take away the run and then have man coverage with a safety on top to take away Pitt.  You essentially took away Pitt (his first read) and JT and took your chances with man to man coverage on the other WR's.  That was the formula.   With no run game, Wentz immediately looked to Pitt and if that read was gone would shuffle his feet to try to find another WR.   By that time, the pocket was collapsing or Wentz would make an inaccurate forced late throw to the other WR's.   His fundamentals were bad as everyone saw and needless to say Frank was not able to fix him.  Lets not forget that he was benched by the Eagles for being really bad too.   His feet were very heavy and plodding.  He would always commit his feet in the direction of Pitt and then try to reset his heavy feet to another WR if Pitt were covered and he always was towards the end of the season.  It's like his feet were glued to the turf which made him throw with his feet parallel to the LOS.  This was an all arm throw with no lower body.   The happy feet that Peyton had was to allow him to reset his feet to other WR's if he had prematurely committed his feet to a WR that was already covered.   As others have mentioned, your feet must be lined up to the WR that you are throwing it too.  There is no other way.   The 27 td's/7 ints was a false stat in that in many of the games late in the season, Frank took the ball out of the hands of Wentz and was exclusively riding JT.  He only threw for 3500 + yards which is very low in today's NFL.  There were games when Wentz only threw it 5 or 10 times.  Its like Frank knew and didn't trust him anymore.   If he had more opportunities to throw his int numbers would have gone way up.
    • I think most NFL joint practices are between teams that are about to play in the preseason because the visiting team is going to have to travel anyway and it's just easier and more efficient logistically. It's a big travel party - well over a hundred people with players and staff - with a lot of equipment to transport. 
    • Domann is probably the obvious choice because we were lucky he was a UDFA. He was seemingly thought to definitely be a draft pick, even possibly in round 5 or 6.   Really hoping for Van Demark or Weatherford since they seem to better fit the "diamond in the rough" description. Each is a good athlete with maybe some flaws that are only perceived or can be overcome. 
    • That team can have him for less money if they give up a late round pick. Seems unlikely. That would also indicate some kind of tampering...
    • LOL, getting it on the TV isn't difficult. If it's on Amazon or Apple, they have smart apps that will work much better than the laptop setup. As for the Internet, even the greatest connection will have hiccups from time to time -- usually when it's the most inconvenient.    I have no problem with streaming content, in general. It's live sports where it drives me crazy.    Here's how I watch Colts games. I'm in Pacific time zone, so usually the game starts at 10AM. I set the game to record. Then I watch Red Zone for about 30 minutes, maybe longer. Then I switch over to my recording of the Colts game, and I fast forward through commercials, I pause for bathroom/snack breaks, I rewind for replays, highlights, or just because... I'm in control. I can usually blow through half time with no commercials.   Also, I'm a family man so my Sundays can be busy and I don't always watch the game live, or maybe I'll miss the first hour. But I can watch the game on my terms, when I'm ready.   If this goes streaming exclusive, I won't be able to watch the games this way anymore. Sure there will be on-demand offerings that I can watch later on. But it's going to cramp my whole style.
  • Members

• chrisfarley

chrisfarley 341

• Archer

Archer 1,164

• JlynRN

JlynRN 499

• Flash7

Flash7 1,688

• CheezyColt

CheezyColt 721

• KB