Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Curtis Brooks also could be steal of the draft.

Bolt Colt

Curtis Brooks has the potential to be the steal of the Draft for Colts

by Jaleel Grandberry

Sixth-round pick for the Indianapolis Colts, Curtis Brooks, was impressive in his final year in college and could be the steal of the entire Draft.

The 2022 draft class for the Indianapolis Colts is highlighted by the impressive offensive selections of day two. The Colts started their draft by selecting Alec Pierce, Jelani Woods, and Bernhard Raimann.

While all three were great picks, and necessary, it was a selection that Indianapolis made on day three that could be the steal of the Draft.

In the sixth round of the Draft, with the 216th-overall pick, Indy used its second-to-last pick to select defensive tackle Curtis Brooks out of Cincinnati.

Brooks wasn’t highly ranked in the class, he was the 17th defensive tackle taken, and the second by the Colts. However, he flashed some things in college that should have fans excited about his ceiling.

Curtis Brooks could be promising for Colts

Brooks is just 6-foot-2 and 285 pounds but he played with a lot of explosiveness in his five years at Cincinnati. In his final season, Brooks recorded 57 tackles, 12.5 for a loss, and 7.5 sacks.

On his tape, he routinely showcases explosiveness, athleticism, and a high motor as he disrupts runs and gets after the quarterback on passing plays.

In addition to his film and impressive advanced stats, Brooks recorded 33 reps on the bench press, had 35.5 vertical, a 4.9 40-yard dash, and graded well in all other athletic evaluation tests.

Now, Brooks gets to join a loaded Colts defense as he adjusts his tools to the professional level. He’ll be surrounded by stars and will be able to learn from the Pro Bowler, DeForest Buckner, in addition to other Indianapolis veterans.

Despite going in the sixth round, it wouldn’t be a shock if Brooks becomes a really good professional player. Between his tape and his numbers, he has a pretty high ceiling. Hopefully, the Colts will help him reach that ceiling

Data on Curtis Brooks (DT, Cincinnati) from PFF

Pass Rush Win Rate: 19.3% (best in class)

Run Defense Stop Rate: 13.1% (best)

Pass Rush grade: 90.4 (best)

True Pass Set grade: 92.3 (best)

True Pass Set win rate: 37%!! (best)

Run Defense grade: 69.9

Brooks will need a year or two. 

He's got a tweener type frame.

He could be a package guy on the interior if we're trying to one gap the OC, but we've got better options.

IMO, he'll end up a PS guy. Johnson could end up on the PS too. 

Give Brooks a year or two in a good S&C program. If he can put on some weight and add strength, I'd like his chances at depth NT.

10 hours ago, EastStreet said:

He could be a package guy on the interior if we're trying to one gap the OC, but we've got better options.

Give Brooks a year or two in a good S&C program. If he can put on some weight and add strength, I'd like his chances at depth NT.

33 reps on bench is already pretty strong,agree if he can put on some good weight he could be something in that 1-2 year window. He lead that Cinn D which was solid all season. Not sure he would make it through waivers.

14 hours ago, EastStreet said:

33 reps at 225 means he does not need to add strength, it's already there.....but yes, he will be a rotational piece and I am not sure who you think is better besides the starters? Drafting him and Johnson screams that the FO knew we lacked depth there! You could be right about the PS but I don't think Brooks needs to get stronger - Johnson on the other hand does as he 'only' did 20 reps....lol

15 hours ago, Bolt Colt said:

Curtis Brooks has the potential to be the steal of the Draft for Colts

by Jaleel Grandberry

Sixth-round pick for the Indianapolis Colts, Curtis Brooks, was impressive in his final year in college and could be the steal of the entire Draft.

The 2022 draft class for the Indianapolis Colts is highlighted by the impressive offensive selections of day two. The Colts started their draft by selecting Alec Pierce, Jelani Woods, and Bernhard Raimann.

While all three were great picks, and necessary, it was a selection that Indianapolis made on day three that could be the steal of the Draft.

In the sixth round of the Draft, with the 216th-overall pick, Indy used its second-to-last pick to select defensive tackle Curtis Brooks out of Cincinnati.

Brooks wasn’t highly ranked in the class, he was the 17th defensive tackle taken, and the second by the Colts. However, he flashed some things in college that should have fans excited about his ceiling.

Curtis Brooks could be promising for Colts

Brooks is just 6-foot-2 and 285 pounds but he played with a lot of explosiveness in his five years at Cincinnati. In his final season, Brooks recorded 57 tackles, 12.5 for a loss, and 7.5 sacks.

On his tape, he routinely showcases explosiveness, athleticism, and a high motor as he disrupts runs and gets after the quarterback on passing plays.

In addition to his film and impressive advanced stats, Brooks recorded 33 reps on the bench press, had 35.5 vertical, a 4.9 40-yard dash, and graded well in all other athletic evaluation tests.

Now, Brooks gets to join a loaded Colts defense as he adjusts his tools to the professional level. He’ll be surrounded by stars and will be able to learn from the Pro Bowler, DeForest Buckner, in addition to other Indianapolis veterans.

Despite going in the sixth round, it wouldn’t be a shock if Brooks becomes a really good professional player. Between his tape and his numbers, he has a pretty high ceiling. Hopefully, the Colts will help him reach that ceiling

Data on Curtis Brooks (DT, Cincinnati) from PFF

Pass Rush Win Rate: 19.3% (best in class)

Run Defense Stop Rate: 13.1% (best)

Pass Rush grade: 90.4 (best)

True Pass Set grade: 92.3 (best)

True Pass Set win rate: 37%!! (best)

Run Defense grade: 69.9

The steal of the entire draft?

He's a 23-24 year-old undersized DT putting up a great season/tape against players that are (in many cases) 2-3 years younger than him from mostly mid-level schools. He was #255 on the consensus big board for reasons. And the Colts took him at #216.

Late-round flyers do hit so not impossible. But for Brooks to be a really good professional player, a lot of people will have to be wrong about him.

15 hours ago, EastStreet said:

That seems like a reasonable projection. 

4 hours ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

It’s weird to me he had that much production in college and lasted until the 6th round. I know he is undersized but sometimes a player is just a good football player.

Reminds me of Dramont Jones. I can see his play being similar.

Don't see him in the PS either, that would be Chris Williams or an UDFA.

18 hours ago, holeymoley99 said:

33 reps on bench is already pretty strong,agree if he can put on some good weight he could be something in that 1-2 year window. He lead that Cinn D which was solid all season. Not sure he would make it through waivers.

He was selected near the end of the 6th, and had 7th round and UDFA grades. 

So not sure he'd be grabbed if waived unless he has a standout PS. 

And it's really not his bench that's in question. It's the power in his lower half.

14 hours ago, Scott Pennock said:

33 reps at 225 means he does not need to add strength, it's already there.....but yes, he will be a rotational piece and I am not sure who you think is better besides the starters? Drafting him and Johnson screams that the FO knew we lacked depth there! You could be right about the PS but I don't think Brooks needs to get stronger - Johnson on the other hand does as he 'only' did 20 reps....lol

The bag on him is lower body strength, not upper body. 

He got rag dolled vs Bama. 

42 minutes ago, Scott Pennock said:

Gotcha......that may be more technique than pure strength, but, duly noted!

I think it's lower body strength. Check out his film, or even his pics. 

He kinda looks like a top heavy linebacker. A bit odd lol.. 

On 6/27/2022 at 9:46 PM, EastStreet said:

NT?  Over UT? Why so

13 minutes ago, Jackie Daytona said:

NT?  Over UT? Why so

His body type. 

Overall, his measurements are a bit odd. He looks like a top heavy linebacker. 

Only 6-2, small lower body, very thick upper body. 

His wingspan is about a foot shorter than guys like Autry or Buckner. So not really ideal for a disruptive 3T.

He's on the shorter side of DTs, but weighs 287ish

Since he's going to have strengthen his lower half, he'll likely add 10+ pounds. If he gets in 300 range, that's ideal for a NT.

And NTs don't really need height or wingspan. 

On 6/28/2022 at 1:04 PM, shasta519 said:

The steal of the entire draft?

He's a 23-24 year-old undersized DT putting up a great season/tape against players that are (in many cases) 2-3 years younger than him from mostly mid-level schools. He was #255 on the consensus big board for reasons. And the Colts took him at #216.

Late-round flyers do hit so not impossible. But for Brooks to be a really good professional player, a lot of people will have to be wrong about him.

So there are like 1000 more draft eligible players this year because of the extra year allowed by covid. And the knuckleheads here think a late rd pick in this draft is = to a standard draft. HAHAHAHA!
  I DON'T think so kiddies. I'll take a shot and bet this guy had at least a 4th rd grade. I will wish him lol and hope he earns a number of snaps THIS season.
 He will be in bonzai mode, attack, attack, attack!!
 And Brooks adding weight to play NT. HAHAHA! How Clueless!!!!!

52 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

So there are like 1000 more draft eligible players this year because of the extra year allowed by covid. And the knuckleheads here think a late rd pick in this draft is = to a standard draft. HAHAHAHA!
  I DON'T think so kiddies. I'll take a shot and bet this guy had at least a 4th rd grade. I will wish him lol and hope he earns a number of snaps THIS season.
 He will be in bonzai mode, attack, attack, attack!!
 And Brooks adding weight to play NT. HAHAHA! How Clueless!!!!!

Dude, it's almost like you read zero draft reviews, and watched zero film on the guy.

Did you know he played both NT and 3T in Fickell's D?

Did you know 2021 was his 6th year at Cinci, and first as full time starter?

He got a 7th round grade from NFL.com

On 6/27/2022 at 9:46 PM, EastStreet said:

It is going to be interesting to see if Bradley is truthful about his D not using a true NT.
 We watched Stallworth take more and more of Grovers PT to get more pass rush. Grover better get the lead out or... 
 Dayo and "rag doll" Brooks will be going after those snaps.  

11 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

It is going to be interesting to see if Bradley is truthful about his D not using a true NT.
 We watched Stallworth take more and more of Grovers PT to get more pass rush. Grover better get the lead out or... 
 Dayo and "rag doll" Brooks will be going after those snaps.  

They said they wanted to keep Stewart at about 60% of snaps last season, which is pretty normal for a NT. He finished the year with about 59%. So pretty normal. Most 4-3s take out their NT out on passing downs, so I really wouldn't call it losing snaps. 

Bradley one gaps (downhill) his DL more than Flus ( who used a read react scheme), but I wouldn't assume he'll one gap the NT (true NT) a bunch considering we'll only use a true NT about the same 60% of the time. If Brooks gets PT this season, it'll be on passing downs (he was bad vs the run in college) when we're using two more mobile DTs. But I really doubt he's going to compete with Dayo or Lewis much unless there is injury. Our passing downs will likely look like

Paye      Defo      Dayo or Lewis       Ngakoue

Archived