Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

OT Bernhard Raimann could be one of the best picks in the draft.

Bolt Colt

OT Bernhard Raimann, Indianapolis Colts

Zach Bolinger

A trio of elite left tackle prospects were taken in the top 10 selections of the draft. Trevor Penning made it four in the top 20 when the Saints took him at 19.

Many fans had probably stopped paying attention to the draft by the time the Indianapolis Colts took Bernhard Raimann with the 77th pick in the third round.

When we look back on this in a year, it could be one of the biggest steals of the draft. The 6'6", 303-pound tackle was the 28th overall prospect on the B/R big board and received a grade of 8.0, signifying a year one starter on his scouting report.

In other words, there's a strong chance the Colts were able to find a starter at a premium position in the third round. That's not something that happens often.

Raimann is an athletic marvel. He earned a relative athletic score of 9.87 out of 10, making him the 17th-most athletic tackle prospect since 1987, per Kent Lee Platte of Pro Football Network.

If the former tight end winds up beating out Matt Pryor for the left tackle job during the season, he will be one of the best picks in the draft.

55 minutes ago, DougDew said:

I'd still like to know if he dropped from his projected level because of a medical red-flag.  And the red flag being chronic knee tendinitis.  There have been rumors, but not very strong rumors.

I think a combination of his knee issues, his age (he's an old rookie, turns 25 in Sept.), and his short(ish) arms for a T caused him to drop.

5 hours ago, sb41champs said:

If memory serves - there were a couple of draft picks that were considered "steals" for the Colts.

Don't recall who the other one was.

Defensive Tackle from Cincinnati Curtis Brooks is one of them.

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

Raimann might not start until 2023, but even if he doesn’t contribute much as a rookie, that shouldn’t mean he’s a bust.   This is normal for most rookies.   He’s still learning the position, so I’d give him a year to figure things out.  

Yup. And with Dennis Kelly on board now, not really any reason to rush him. 

But who knows, maybe he comes out and kills it.

And with potential injuries during the season, he could get a shot.

We're pretty good on Ts IMO. We're a bit vulnerable in the G space (depth wise)

7 hours ago, EastStreet said:

Yup. And with Dennis Kelly on board now, not really any reason to rush him. 

But who knows, maybe he comes out and kills it.

And with potential injuries during the season, he could get a shot.

We're pretty good on Ts IMO. We're a bit vulnerable in the G space (depth wise)

I'm pretty comfortable with Q and Pinter at G.  It gets a little weird though, as it seems Pinter is the #1 backup at C.  If Q or Pinter were to go down (or if Kelly went down and Pinter slid to C), it seems like the Ts would be called on to cover G.  I have no idea who out of D. Kelly, Raimann, Pryor will start at LT.. but it seems like whoever doesn't win that spot will be backup to both T and G position.

1 hour ago, CurBeatElite said:

I'm pretty comfortable with Q and Pinter at G.  It gets a little weird though, as it seems Pinter is the #1 backup at C.  If Q or Pinter were to go down (or if Kelly went down and Pinter slid to C), it seems like the Ts would be called on to cover G.  I have no idea who out of D. Kelly, Raimann, Pryor will start at LT.. but it seems like whoever doesn't win that spot will be backup to both T and G position.

My guess is that Raimann is first up to play inside if one of the Gs get hurt.

15 minutes ago, shasta519 said:

My guess is that Raimann is first up to play inside if one of the Gs get hurt.

You're guess is as good as mine. I'll trust the coaches here.  I do think Pryor played pretty darn well inside (G) last year, so unless he's setting the world on fire at T, I wouldn't be shocked to see him move inside if needed.... hopefully, we don't need it though. 

2 minutes ago, Jackie Daytona said:

Getting weird with it after that one practice with Kelly at first team RG.... Interesting.

I don't believe in random and I certainly don't believe the coach speak talking about staying familiar because IF Pinter is at Center due to an injury to Kelly, Kelly will not be playing RG.......

Best 5 play is what they stress and perhaps Pinter at C and Kelly at G is the best combo?

So yes, I am rolling with it! LOL

3 hours ago, CurBeatElite said:

You're guess is as good as mine. I'll trust the coaches here.  I do think Pryor played pretty darn well inside (G) last year, so unless he's setting the world on fire at T, I wouldn't be shocked to see him move inside if needed.... hopefully, we don't need it though. 

He actually played better when he played RT and LT. His stats show he wasn’t as good at guard.

3 hours ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

He actually played better when he played RT and LT. His stats show he wasn’t as good at guard.

I don’t think there was much of a sample size to know much of anything.   We’re only talking about a small number of games at any given position.   Too little to know anything. 

4 hours ago, Jackie Daytona said:

Getting weird with it after that one practice with Kelly at first team RG.... Interesting.

Nothing weird here.   Just cross training for emergency purposes.   Reich was asked about a possible change and said there’s nothing there.   No plans for any move. 

52 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I don’t think there was much of a sample size to know much of anything.   We’re only talking about a small number of games at any given position.   Too little to know anything. 

He played enough tackle. But maybe not enough guard.  I think he only played one game at guard.  I think that was AZ.

5 hours ago, Scott Pennock said:

I don't believe in random and I certainly don't believe the coach speak talking about staying familiar because IF Pinter is at Center due to an injury to Kelly, Kelly will not be playing RG.......

Best 5 play is what they stress and perhaps Pinter at C and Kelly at G is the best combo?

So yes, I am rolling with it! LOL

5 hours ago, Jackie Daytona said:

Which "Kelly" are you speaking of @Jackie Daytona

Me thinks you have confused what @Scott Pennockhad to say?

50 minutes ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

He played enough tackle. But maybe not enough guard.  I think he only played one game at guard.  I think that was AZ.

If he played enough tackle to know, we likely would not have drafted Raimann.    Pryor played less than 5 games at any one given position.  That’s just not enough to know anything.   Pryor May work out.   And, he also might not.   He’s a big question mark.  It’s why we’ve given ourselves options…. Because we just don’t know. 

22 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Raimann might not start until 2023, but even if he doesn’t contribute much as a rookie, that shouldn’t mean he’s a bust.   This is normal for most rookies.   He’s still learning the position, so I’d give him a year to figure things out.  

Much the same as Pinter. Maybe not an All-Pro but a solid player.

16 minutes ago, coltsfeva said:

Much the same as Pinter. Maybe not an All-Pro but a solid player.

I’m hopeful that Raimann’s high athletic skill set will give him a higher ceiling once he figures out the NFL game.   I think he starts by 2023, I’m just not sure at which position…. 

18 hours ago, CurBeatElite said:

We know both Pryor and D Kelly have played both G and T in the past, so I agree, that's the plan should of the iOL go down. 

I think Pryor will do fine at LT and win the starting job there. So...

If RG went down, D Kelly.

If C went down, Pinter to C, D Kelly to RG

If LG went down, I could see D Kelly to LG, or Pryor sliding inside to LG, and D Kelly at LT. 

4 hours ago, EastStreet said:

We know both Pryor and D Kelly have played both G and T in the past, so I agree, that's the plan should of the iOL go down. 

I think Pryor will do fine at LT and win the starting job there. So...

If RG went down, D Kelly.

If C went down, Pinter to C, D Kelly to RG

If LG went down, I could see D Kelly to LG, or Pryor sliding inside to LG, and D Kelly at LT. 

Sounds about right, with Raimann potentially fighting for a spot in there if he's more polished than we think. 

It does seem like the past few years Ballard is putting an emphasis on bringing in versatile linemen.

1 hour ago, CurBeatElite said:

Sounds about right, with Raimann potentially fighting for a spot in there if he's more polished than we think. 

It does seem like the past few years Ballard is putting an emphasis on bringing in versatile linemen.

We had good fortune last season with Pryor and Pinter. Pryor played both T positions, and RG, at a pretty high level. I wish we would have swapped him for Fisher sooner that we did. As I've said a few times in different threads, I think he's finally got his body right. And Pinter looked fantastic and a lot more advanced than he should have been lol. Great flexibility from both. 

I really loved the Raimann pick. At worst, I think he'll be a long term depth OL, with a ceiling to be a top 10 kind of guy.  His accolades from the MAC, PFF, and Sporting News are pretty nice. And if there's any truth to the no-source injury concerns, he sure played at a high level last season..., all season...  His mechanics are advanced, and he's got great strength. He'll just need some time for his instincts to catch up, and of course the change in competition will be an adjustment. Regardless, good floor, and excellent ceiling. But honestly, wouldn't be shocked to see him emerge quickly if given the chance. 

6 hours ago, EastStreet said:

We had good fortune last season with Pryor and Pinter. Pryor played both T positions, and RG, at a pretty high level. I wish we would have swapped him for Fisher sooner that we did. As I've said a few times in different threads, I think he's finally got his body right. And Pinter looked fantastic and a lot more advanced than he should have been lol. Great flexibility from both. 

I really loved the Raimann pick. At worst, I think he'll be a long term depth OL, with a ceiling to be a top 10 kind of guy.  His accolades from the MAC, PFF, and Sporting News are pretty nice. And if there's any truth to the no-source injury concerns, he sure played at a high level last season..., all season...  His mechanics are advanced, and he's got great strength. He'll just need some time for his instincts to catch up, and of course the change in competition will be an adjustment. Regardless, good floor, and excellent ceiling. But honestly, wouldn't be shocked to see him emerge quickly if given the chance. 

The funny thing is that it could be better if Raimann did win the starting LT spot, as if Pryor is even average, the Colts most likely couldn't afford him next year.  If he is an excellent depth guy, swing tackle and guard, the cheaper re-newing him should be.

21 minutes ago, LiveAndLetAddai said:

The funny thing is that it could be better if Raimann did win the starting LT spot, as if Pryor is even average, the Colts most likely couldn't afford him next year.  If he is an excellent depth guy, swing tackle and guard, the cheaper re-newing him should be.

If Raimann emerges quickly, I won't complain. 

But I also won't complain if Pryor turns into a lockdown LT and we extend him.

But overall, I just want the best 5 on the field. And last season didn't seem like Fisher or R Kelly were in that group. Just can't let Ryan get clobbered like Wentz did. 

1 hour ago, compuls1v3 said:

I can’t imagine Kelly playing Tackle.  Just MHO though.

To clarify….. 

He’s talking about Dennis Kelly, a career backup tackle that the Colts signed.    He’s not talking about Ryan Kelly, our center.   

51 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

To clarify….. 

He’s talking about Dennis Kelly, a career backup tackle that the Colts signed.    He’s not talking about Ryan Kelly, our center.   

Thank you.  That makes more sense. >< Oops on my part!

On 6/28/2022 at 9:54 AM, Scott Pennock said:

Raimann - Nelson - Pinter - Kelly - Smith

Back-ups

Kelly - Swing Tackle

Pryor - G/T

French - C

Fries - G

My $0.02

My bad Scott, NCF corrected me on the Kelly situation re: swing tackle.  I like your line up IF Pinter can beat out Kelly at Center.  Maybe Kelly can bounce back this year.

Archived