Jump to content
Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The Sheriff's stamp of approval for Matt Ryan.


Bolt Colt
 Share

Recommended Posts

Matt Ryan Has Peyton Manning’s Stamp of Approval in Indy: ‘I Thought It Would Be Really Good for the Colts’

by David Wysong    | More Articles: NFL

 

The Indianapolis Colts have had several quarterbacks line up behind center since Peyton Manning‘s last snap in Indy. Dan Orlovsky, Andrew Luck, Jacoby Brissett, Philip Rivers, and Carson Wentz are a few names you may recognize.

However, no matter the number of gunslingers Indianapolis has had throughout the past decade-plus, Manning is the face you think of when you hear “Colts quarterback.” So, it’s not too surprising that Peyton played a role in his former team’s QB search this offseason.

And in case you’re wondering, it appears new signaler Matt Ryan has received The Sheriff’s stamp of approval.

Matt Ryan talked to Peyton Manning during transition to Colts

 

Peyton Manning spent 14 years with the Colts before moving to the Denver Broncos in 2012. In similar fashion, Matt Ryan played on the Atlanta Falcons for 14 seasons before getting traded to Indy in March.

Considering their comparable paths, Manning spoke to Ryan during the transition. He also communicated with new Broncos quarterback Russell Wilson.

“I talked to both of them kinda during the process and tried to be a resource as I try to be for all quarterbacks,” Manning said to NFL.com. “For Matt in particular, he kind of mentioned that Atlanta was looking for possibly a trade and he was asking about Indy.”

So, how does Manning feel about Ryan’s fit in Indianapolis? Can he succeed in the job Manning held for over a decade?

“I just kind of really liked that match,” Manning added. “I thought it would be great for Matt in this second chapter for him, and I thought it would be really good for the Colts, who I think are really close and have a lot of pieces and just could really use a veteran leader. He and Frank Reich have really hit it off.”

Ryan has already received comparisons to Manning and Andrew Luck during his short time in Indy. And the Colts can have tremendous success if he can emulate their tenures in the slightest.

Indianapolis is stacked with players like Jonathan Taylor, Quenton Nelson, and Michael Pittman Jr. on offense, and Darius Leonard, DeForest Buckner, Kenny Moore II, and Stephon Gilmore on defense. The team just needed a leader behind center, and Ryan, the 2016 NFL MVP, can give it that.

There’s a lot of pressure on Matt Ryan to succeed with the Horseshoe this upcoming season, but receiving a stamp of approval from the greatest Colt of all time must be somewhat relieving. Now, he can focus on winning something no Colts quarterback has won since Manning: a Super Bowl.

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, Bolt Colt said:

Matt Ryan Has Peyton Manning’s Stamp of Approval in Indy: ‘I Thought It Would Be Really Good for the Colts’

by David Wysong    | More Articles: NFL

 

The Indianapolis Colts have had several quarterbacks line up behind center since Peyton Manning‘s last snap in Indy. Dan Orlovsky, Andrew Luck, Jacoby Brissett, Philip Rivers, and Carson Wentz are a few names you may recognize.

However, no matter the number of gunslingers Indianapolis has had throughout the past decade-plus, Manning is the face you think of when you hear “Colts quarterback.” So, it’s not too surprising that Peyton played a role in his former team’s QB search this offseason.

And in case you’re wondering, it appears new signaler Matt Ryan has received The Sheriff’s stamp of approval.

Matt Ryan talked to Peyton Manning during transition to Colts

 

Peyton Manning spent 14 years with the Colts before moving to the Denver Broncos in 2012. In similar fashion, Matt Ryan played on the Atlanta Falcons for 14 seasons before getting traded to Indy in March.

Considering their comparable paths, Manning spoke to Ryan during the transition. He also communicated with new Broncos quarterback Russell Wilson.

“I talked to both of them kinda during the process and tried to be a resource as I try to be for all quarterbacks,” Manning said to NFL.com. “For Matt in particular, he kind of mentioned that Atlanta was looking for possibly a trade and he was asking about Indy.”

So, how does Manning feel about Ryan’s fit in Indianapolis? Can he succeed in the job Manning held for over a decade?

“I just kind of really liked that match,” Manning added. “I thought it would be great for Matt in this second chapter for him, and I thought it would be really good for the Colts, who I think are really close and have a lot of pieces and just could really use a veteran leader. He and Frank Reich have really hit it off.”

Ryan has already received comparisons to Manning and Andrew Luck during his short time in Indy. And the Colts can have tremendous success if he can emulate their tenures in the slightest.

Indianapolis is stacked with players like Jonathan Taylor, Quenton Nelson, and Michael Pittman Jr. on offense, and Darius Leonard, DeForest Buckner, Kenny Moore II, and Stephon Gilmore on defense. The team just needed a leader behind center, and Ryan, the 2016 NFL MVP, can give it that.

There’s a lot of pressure on Matt Ryan to succeed with the Horseshoe this upcoming season, but receiving a stamp of approval from the greatest Colt of all time must be somewhat relieving. Now, he can focus on winning something no Colts quarterback has won since Manning: a Super Bowl.

This is the season we need to go for it. Matt Ryan has at least 1 fantastic year left IMO. We are loaded with all of our other stars in their prime. Gilmore is right at the end of his prime but still there. We realistically could start the season 4-0 looking at our schedule.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

This is the season we need to go for it. Matt Ryan has at least 1 fantastic year left IMO. We are loaded with all of our other stars in their prime. Gilmore is right at the end of his prime but still there. We realistically could start the season 4-0 looking at our schedule.

I would still feel better about bringing in a good vet WR. We can't trust Campbell sadly, and I'd rather have an OBJ (as an example) in case someone goes down.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, Indyfan4life said:

I would still feel better about bringing in a good vet WR. We can't trust Campbell sadly, and I'd rather have an OBJ (as an example) in case someone goes down.

TY Hilton - FIRST DOWN lmao , 1 last year but the price has to be right :thmup:

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

This is the season we need to go for it. Matt Ryan has at least 1 fantastic year left IMO. We are loaded with all of our other stars in their prime. Gilmore is right at the end of his prime but still there. We realistically could start the season 4-0 looking at our schedule.


4-0?    To start the season?    Realistically?    With KC in week 3?    And Tenn in week 4?

 

Did you say realistically?  

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:


4-0?    To start the season?    Realistically?    With KC in week 3?    And Tenn in week 4?

 

Did you say realistically?  

I have us 3-1 through 4. I have us losing to KC. I think we win the key one's because they are division games. We could start 4-0 though in reality if we beat KC.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

36 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I have us 3-1 through 4. I have us losing to KC. I think we win the key one's because they are division games. We could start 4-0 though in reality if we beat KC.


I also have us starting 3-1.    But to beat KC is a king shot.   Hard to see us not being the underdog.   We could pull the upset, it’s possible.   I just don’t think it’s very likely.  
 

That’s why I was surprised when you wrote…….  Realistically.   I don’t think a long shot is a realistic win.  
 

And for what it’s worth….   I’m reading good things out of J’Ville and Houston.   Now I still think we win those games.   But I wouldn’t be surprised if those wins are by 7-10 points instead of 14-20.    Both those teams might be better than most expect.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:


I also have us starting 3-1.    But to beat KC is a king shot.   Hard to see us not being the underdog.   We could pull the upset, it’s possible.   I just don’t think it’s very likely.  
 

That’s why I was surprised when you wrote…….  Realistically.   I don’t think a long shot is a realistic win.  
 

And for what it’s worth….   I’m reading good things out of J’Ville and Houston.   Now I still think we win those games.   But I wouldn’t be surprised if those wins are by 7-10 points instead of 14-20.    Both those teams might be better than most expect.  

I think the loss of Hill is huge for kc.  The game is at home too. I don’t think it will be nearly as difficult this year.  Whether the win is realistic or not I think depends on your definition of realistic.  Lol.  I’ll say 4-0 is possible and I’m optimistically believing it now but I would not say it’s expected 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:


I also have us starting 3-1.    But to beat KC is a king shot.   Hard to see us not being the underdog.   We could pull the upset, it’s possible.   I just don’t think it’s very likely.  
 

That’s why I was surprised when you wrote…….  Realistically.   I don’t think a long shot is a realistic win.  
 

And for what it’s worth….   I’m reading good things out of J’Ville and Houston.   Now I still think we win those games.   But I wouldn’t be surprised if those wins are by 7-10 points instead of 14-20.    Both those teams might be better than most expect.  

I think both games will be somewhat tough but we should win both and start 2-0 at least. Playing at Jacks has been a curse and nothing is guaranteed but I think Matt will pull that one out. I can even see that being something like 24-20 - that close. I think we beat Houston by at least 7. Regarding Jacks, Trevor Lawrence will be better and their coach isn't a joke anymore either.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:


4-0?    To start the season?    Realistically?    With KC in week 3?    And Tenn in week 4?

 

Did you say realistically?  

Exactly, we have to keep realistic goal boundaries. If Reich starts out 1-3, will we be surprised? No.  If 4-0 happens, we'd all be pinching ourselves to wake up and administer smelling-salts.

  • Haha 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:


4-0?    To start the season?    Realistically?    With KC in week 3?    And Tenn in week 4?

 

Did you say realistically?  

Every forum needs a NCF to keep everybody in check and be realistic. Especially this time of the year. 

  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Indyfan4life said:

I would still feel better about bringing in a good vet WR. We can't trust Campbell sadly, and I'd rather have an OBJ (as an example) in case someone goes down.

I agree.  I’m really pulling for Campbell though.  To be safe we really need another good vet.  Could happen on final cut down day.  I think TY’s ship has sailed.  If we do bring in a vet I think it will be someone else.  Just a feeling.  I think there will be better options.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

I agree.  I’m really pulling for Campbell though.  To be safe we really need another good vet.  Could happen on final cut down day.  I think TY’s ship has sailed.  If we do bring in a vet I think it will be someone else.  Just a feeling.  I think there will be better options.

Everyone should be pulling for Campbell. Any person here that isn’t just wants to be right more than anything. Imagine being more worried about “hurrrr I was right lol” over hoping a play can succeed isn’t really a fan. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Fluke_33 said:

I think the loss of Hill is huge for kc.  The game is at home too. I don’t think it will be nearly as difficult this year.  Whether the win is realistic or not I think depends on your definition of realistic.  Lol.  I’ll say 4-0 is possible and I’m optimistically believing it now but I would not say it’s expected 

 

 By the time we play KC we are just as likely to be favored.
 Fans here are underestimating our coaching staff and our receiving core.

 And our D will be considerably better than KC's. Realistically speaking.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/26/2022 at 7:32 PM, Bolt Colt said:

Manning is the face you think of when you hear “Colts quarterback.”

ah, no. As great as Manning was, "Colts" quarterback" = Johnny Unitas for me. Manning too though. :) 

 

Quote

 receiving a stamp of approval from the greatest Colt of all time 

Impossible, since Unitas is no longer with us.  :)   

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/26/2022 at 5:06 PM, 2006Coltsbestever said:

This is the season we need to go for it. Matt Ryan has at least 1 fantastic year left IMO. We are loaded with all of our other stars in their prime. Gilmore is right at the end of his prime but still there. We realistically could start the season 4-0 looking at our schedule.

 

What does this mean?  The roster is pretty much set. Should they just try harder?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, wig said:

 

What does this mean?  The roster is pretty much set. Should they just try harder?

I still think we add another WR and we should IMO. Patmon and Strachan both are very unproven and didn't do squat last season. TY Hilton is better than either of those guys, that is a proven easy fact eventhough he is at the end. He can play 1 more year and give us at least 4 or 5 good games. I would trust TY by a mile before I would trust Patmon or Strachan lmao . Also what if Campbell gets injured again?? All in is my motto for this season. TY deserves to go out a Champ, 3rd best WR ever here, 4th if you count the Baltimore years because of Berry. We need insurance and if we can sign TY to like a 1yr/5Mill deal then that would be a no brainer to me.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  Ryan brings that “quick decisions” that Rivers gave us, with some mobility.

  Wouldn’t mind seeing TY signed for cheap but as far as Straughn and Pattmon, WRs do mature in their second and third years. Why not them?

    Add Alec Pierce, a healthy Campbell, Hines, MAC, Woods and Granson and the Colts can be very, very good. Is this “Our Time”?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...