Jump to content
Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts Front Office Grades by Pro Football Network


Recommended Posts

On 7/14/2022 at 7:32 AM, Myles said:

I care more about putting a competitive team on the field each year.   I don't want my team to only be good 1 in every 6 seasons.  

Well, Indy has had for the most part a super weak SoS the last 5 seasons.

And we've won one playoff game. 

Not very competitive. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, EastStreet said:

Well, Indy has had for the most part a super weak SoS the last 5 seasons.

And we've won one playoff game. 

Not very competitive. 

We usually have the one the worst SoS because Jack's and Houston have stunk the last 2 years. We have already had this discussion many times in the past. The colts play as a many playoff teams that every other teams do.  Playing Jacksonville and Houston twice skews things. Tennessee is in the same boat. Cincinnati made the SB last year season so they are everyone's darling. I would bet they don't even make it to the divisional round this season. Many loved us after we made the AFC Title game in 2014 and we missed the playoffs in 2015. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

We usually have the one the worst SoS because Jack's and Houston have stunk the last 2 years. We have already had this discussion many times in the past. The colts play as a many playoff teams that every other teams do.  Playing Jacksonville and Houston twice skews things. Tennessee is in the same boat. Cincinnati made the SB last year season so they are everyone's darling. I would bet they don't even make it to the divisional round this season. Many loved us after we made the AFC Title game in 2014 and we missed the playoffs in 2015. 

Disagree on Cinci. They will be good for at least the next couple years. Not saying they'll be in the SB, but they'll be a playoff team and/or competitive. 

 

SoS is what it is. And ours has been super weak. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Disagree on Cinci. They will be good for at least the next couple years. Not saying they'll be in the SB, but they'll be a playoff team and/or competitive. 

 

SoS is what it is. And ours has been super weak. 

We are really not disagreeing about Cincy. I think they will win their division. I just think the AFC is so deep that will have trouble making the divisional round. Every playoff game they won last year was by 3 points, games could've went either way. I really think we have a just as good a chance of making the divisional round as they do and Joe Burrow is the real deal IMO. I think Matt Ryan can give us 2 quality good years and we have arguably the best RB in the league (I think Taylor in the best). If the Colts played them in the playoffs, I would see it as a Pick'em.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

We are really not disagreeing about Cincy. I think they will win their division. I just think the AFC is so deep that will have trouble making the divisional round. Every playoff game they won last year was by 3 points, games could've went either way. I really think we have a just as good a chance of making the divisional round as they do and Joe Burrow is the real deal IMO. I think Matt Ryan can give us 2 quality good years and we have arguably the best RB in the league (I think Taylor in the best). If the Colts played them in the playoffs, I would see it as a Pick'em.

 

Cinci's O is more dynamic than ours on paper. Great QB, 3 very good WRs. 

And they'll like be the most improved OL this season. And if so, Burrow likely looks even better. 

Their D is also more well rounded that Indy. Especially their DBs. Their DL should take another step forward as well. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

 

Cinci's O is more dynamic than ours on paper. Great QB, 3 very good WRs. 

And they'll like be the most improved OL this season. And if so, Burrow likely looks even better. 

Their D is also more well rounded that Indy. Especially their DBs. Their DL should take another step forward as well. 

They do have better play makers that would be my main concern. That is where guys like Gilmore and Kenny need to come up big. Also we are the better team at creating turnovers (Leonard especially). I don't fully trust Cincy's O.Line, Burrow has been beat up 2 years in row. It would be an interested game that is for sure. I loved it when they beat Tennessee, I predicted it but also knew that was 50/50.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Haven't caught up on much on here, as far as what's been said in some of these threads.

 

 

I have been keeping up with a lot of these offseason rankings and feel the Colts have got the short end of the stick in quite a few of them. Not that I am not used to national media sleeping on the Colts, but some of it really had me scratching my head.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, w87r said:

Haven't caught up on much on here, as far as what's been said in some of these threads.

 

 

I have been keeping up with a lot of these offseason rankings and feel the Colts have got the short end of the stick in quite a few of them. Not that I am not used to national media sleeping on the Colts, but some of it really had me scratching my head.

What's up? Haven't seen you in a while, hope all is well. I even took a break for a while at one time lmao . Pro Football network has the Browns ranked ahead of us, that was really my main stink about this list. I think we belong in the top 10.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

What's up? Haven't seen you in a while, hope all is well. I even took a break for a while at one time lmao . Pro Football network has the Browns ranked ahead of us, that was really my main stink about this list. I think we belong in the top 10.

All is well here, hopefully there as well. Yeah it's been quite a while for me, but I am back, refreshed and ready for a great season and good ol Colts discussion with everyone.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, w87r said:

All is well here, hopefully there as well. Yeah it's been quite a while for me, but I am back, refreshed and ready for a great season and good ol Colts discussion with everyone.

Yeah it is all good, busy year with work and other things. I can't wait for the season, getting Matt Ryan was huge. I liked our draft as well.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Yeah it is all good, busy year with work and other things. I can't wait for the season, getting Matt Ryan was huge. I liked our draft as well.

Yeah when the DT Johnson was the least athletic guy we picked, you know we added unbelievable athleticism to our group.

 

Matt Ryan was nice as well.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

They do have better play makers that would be my main concern. That is where guys like Gilmore and Kenny need to come up big. Also we are the better team at creating turnovers (Leonard especially). I don't fully trust Cincy's O.Line, Burrow has been beat up 2 years in row. It would be an interested game that is for sure. I loved it when they beat Tennessee, I predicted it but also knew that was 50/50.

 

Many say their OL will be the most improved this season. They have 3 good WRs, so we'd need the entire secondary to play well lol. They had 2 WRs in the 1000+ space, and one 800+. So if their OL is truly that improved, not a stretch to see them 3 1000+ guys this year. And a better rushing attack. 

 

I do however think our D will be better this season if we get the back end figured out, but that's just my gut right now. And I think our WRs will be better, but again, more gut. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

 

On 7/16/2022 at 7:11 AM, Jared Cisneros said:

That "10 win season" they had is better than any season Ballard has had in Indy. In fact, it's better than any season since 2009 from the Colts period, including the whole Andrew Luck era. I guarantee you people on this board wish we could of had the season that the Bengals had last year. 10 wins in the regular season is irrelevant. 

The fact that Ballard lost his franchise QB had a lot to do with it, ya think? Let Cincy lose Burrow forever and go through a few years of replacing him and let's see if they do as well as the Colts have in the same situation. I'm quite confident they would not. As for playoff wins and losses, that isn't on the GM. He can put the pieces in place, but "any given day" applies and we could go back and replay last year's playoffs and likely there would HAVE been a different result. PS the Cincy front office has as many SB wins as the current Colts one does. 

 

Quote

Pretty funny how the Bengals make the SB and it's just a "10 win season". If the Colts won 10 games last year and made the SB, we'd still be celebrating it today.

I guarantee you'd be the only one here celebrating a SB loss.

 

Quote

Matt Ryan isn't in the same universe as Joe Burrow in 2022

You can't be serious. Ryan continued to play well on total crap teams. Give Ryan the weapons Burrow has and he would easily do similar. The only danger now for Ryan (besides a dicey WR crew) is age...but on paper at least Ryan is easily "in the same universe" as Burrow, although of course I would take Burrow, again due to age.

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/15/2022 at 5:30 PM, NewColtsFan said:


I think you’ve tortured that  analogy almost beyond recognition.   Comparing the Ryan deal to winning the lottery is not even close to the same thing.   Sorry.  
 

What’s a surprise to you and me and the fan base is not the same as a football fan base.   The insiders have much more info than we do.  Much. 

Insiders having more info doesn't mean that those with less info are wrong. 

 

I thought that when Watson was making his tour, the info was focused on Jameis Winston to the Colts.  I'm sure that insiders were talking.    Then Ballard pivots to Ryan when Ryan falls out of a tree.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/16/2022 at 7:11 AM, Jared Cisneros said:

That "10 win season" they had is better than any season Ballard has had in Indy. In fact, it's better than any season since 2009 from the Colts period, including the whole Andrew Luck era. I guarantee you people on this board wish we could of had the season that the Bengals had last year. 10 wins in the regular season is irrelevant. 

 

You also know good and well how good the Bengals are now. Quit pretending they aren't. They have a top 8 QB in the league, a top 3 WR, an elite EDGE, and they have managed to fix the O-Line this offseason. That team is stacked. 

 

Pretty funny how the Bengals make the SB and it's just a "10 win season". If the Colts won 10 games last year and made the SB, we'd still be celebrating it today. When the Braves won the WS last year, they had the worst playoff record. You think that mattered to me? Of course not. They won it. They'll probably never have a better record than the Dodgers in the regular season. So what. The Bengals were in it and almost won it with 10 wins. That's what the Colts are going to have to do unless they get a franchise QB. Matt Ryan isn't in the same universe as Joe Burrow in 2022, so I'll take the Bengals result the vast majority of the time. 

"Matt Ryan isn't on the same universe as Joe Burrow". I disagree, because of age I would take Burrow for the future (like the Henry/Taylor argument) but just going into 2022, Burrow isn't that much better. I have Matt Ryan in my top 10 QB's going into 2022 - around 10, I have Burrow in my top 7 = 7ish. I will make another prediction right now, I think we will have a better record than they will in 2022 and go just as far in the playoffs at worse. Burrow has been to a SB but Ryan also made one, both barely lost. Ryan has won an MVP though, Burrow may but then again he could be headed down the Luck path as in not lasting. In his first 2 seasons he has been beat up and even had a season ending injury his rookie season. Ryan hasn't missed a game since Elvis was alive homer simpson lol GIF- Ryan is like Rivers, he has a knack to avoid injury and avoid big hits a lot.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

36 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Insiders having more info doesn't mean that those with less info are wrong. 

 

I thought that when Watson was making his tour, the info was focused on Jameis Winston to the Colts.  I'm sure that insiders were talking.    Then Ballard pivots to Ryan when Ryan falls out of a tree.


Winston one one of a number of options being talked about.   Along with Mariotta and Mayfield and Garoppolo. 
 

But I do remember that this website was having a full blown meltdown.   You and others were heavily criticizing Ballard for not having made a move on anyone during a wild first week of free agency.   You literally said he had no strategy.    Now months later you compare it to getting a lottery ticket.   I think it may look that way to outsiders, but i don’t think it does to people on the inside.   The man has a pretty good idea of what he’s doing.    Ballard freely admits there was good luck involved.   I just think comparing it to winning the lottery was too far.   You’re free to disagree. 

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

37 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:


Winston one one of a number of options being talked about.   Along with Mariotta and Mayfield and Garoppolo. 
 

But I do remember that this website was having a full blown meltdown.   You and others were heavily criticizing Ballard for not having made a move on anyone during a wild first week of free agency.   You literally said he had no strategy.    Now months later you compare it to getting a lottery ticket.   I think it may look that way to outsiders, but i don’t think it does to people on the inside.   The man has a pretty good idea of what he’s doing.    Ballard freely admits there was good luck involved.   I just think comparing it to winning the lottery was too far.   You’re free to disagree. 

 

I either wanted Matt Ryan or Jimmy G, Jimmy G would've just fit our system and he is a proven winner in big games. I thought Ryan was a long shot so I thought it was a pipe dream to be honest. I didn't think Atlanta would trade him but I figured there may have been about a 20% chance. That is why I was on the Jimmy train for a couple weeks. Jimmy would've been a better choice than Mariotta, Trubisky, drafting someone in this weak draft class, or Baker. All I can say is getting Matt Ryan may have been lucky but it was also due to patience which many don't have. Ballard was probably smoking a cigar and not even panicking the whole time the QB search was going on knowing him The Simpsons GIF by KiwiGo (KGO)lmao 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:


Winston one one of a number of options being talked about.   Along with Mariotta and Mayfield and Garoppolo. 
 

But I do remember that this website was having a full blown meltdown.   You and others were heavily criticizing Ballard for not having made a move on anyone during a wild first week of free agency.   You literally said he had no strategy.    Now months later you compare it to getting a lottery ticket.   I think it may look that way to outsiders, but i don’t think it does to people on the inside.   The man has a pretty good idea of what he’s doing.    Ballard freely admits there was good luck involved.   I just think comparing it to winning the lottery was too far.   You’re free to disagree. 

 

WInston was the front runner.  Garoppolo was just rumor that had no traction. I think Mariotta was an aoption after Winston.  The Mayfield interest was one sided.  

 

I said Ballard had no plan, because planning to take the best QB that's available after other teams executed their plan first really isn't a plan.   Maybe that seems like word salad to you, but understanding the working definition of what a plan is, waiting for others to finish theirs and then going dumpster diving isn't really a one, in my book.

 

PIT went out and got Trubisky in the first week.  Not saying its a great plan, but that is a plan. 

 

Then Ryan fell out of a tree.  And the best QB available happened.  And it happened because ATL (poorly) tried to execute a plan beforehand.  And they ended up having to throw something of value into the dumpster.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/16/2022 at 7:59 PM, EastStreet said:

Well, Indy has had for the most part a super weak SoS the last 5 seasons.

And we've won one playoff game. 

Not very competitive. 

The difference between a win and a loss on any given Sunday....can be as little a a few plays here or there. I have never been a believer in the validity of SoS. Each player and coach can have personal issues that intrude into the competition. That's why teams win or lose nearly every single week who shouldn't. 

 

From what I have watched, the Colts have been very competitive. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/19/2022 at 3:29 PM, Four2itus said:

The difference between a win and a loss on any given Sunday....can be as little a a few plays here or there. I have never been a believer in the validity of SoS. Each player and coach can have personal issues that intrude into the competition. That's why teams win or lose nearly every single week who shouldn't. 

 

From what I have watched, the Colts have been very competitive. 

 

The Colts have been competitive at times, but they also lost to the worst team in the league to close out the year with their playoff life on the line. That's simply not a good thing when you have the most Pro Bowl Players (rightfully or not) in the league. 

 

As far as SoS, or SoRS is concerned, feel free to believe or disbelieve. There's a reason they factor it in to most rankings, analytics, and even Vegas stuff. It's been around forever, and would have been abandoned long ago if it wasn't a decent indicator. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...