Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts Front Office Grades by Pro Football Network

sb41champs

On 7/9/2022 at 5:33 PM, EastStreet said:

Folks don't have to be "bad" to be ranked behind Cinci and LAC right now. 

CIN              LAC              Indy
Power Rank                     8                  3                  15
Roster Rank                    8                   3                  15
3 Year Cap Health           1                  5                   4 
QB of the future?            Y                  Y                   N

And while I list Cap health in the above, it's not a metric to hang your hat on alone. 

GB and LAR are bottom 10 in cap health (have been regularly), but still seem to always be in the SB conversation.

If this was a combined 5 year stretch you would see Cincy near he bottom.   

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Myles said:

I actually agree with you here, because they made the SB last year and (LUCKED in) into to getting the #1 pick in Burrow that puts them in the top 10. Grigson won GM of the year in 2012, I wonder why The Simpsons GIF by KiwiGo (KGO)- he had someone at QB that went to Stanford.

54 minutes ago, Myles said:

yep, I have to see what happens in a 3 year span to decide.  if Burrow gets injured and the Bengals win only 4 games in 2022, the Cincy front office should not be sniffing the top 10.  

Can't base it on 1 year I agree again. When Rivers signed here in 2020, some were saying noodle arm, he sucked in 2019. I just lmao , I was right again as I predicted we would be good and make the playoffs. We really should've beat Buffalo and they had Allen rolling at Buffalo. They won barely.

3 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Can't base it on 1 year I agree again. When Rivers signed here in 2020, some were saying noodle arm, he sucked in 2019. I just lmao , I was right again as I predicted we would be good and make the playoffs. We really should've beat Buffalo and they had Allen rolling at Buffalo. They won barely.

Certainly not when the 5 previous years were awful.   We shall see this season.   

56 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

AFC Title Game will be Colts at Bills.

I do admire your optimism.   

I'm more of a wait and see type of guy.   The AFC is so stacked it is hard for me to make a projection.  

16 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Uhhhh….   No.    I know what’s in it for you,  no criticism from me.   But what’s in it for me?    Not a thing. 

Beside, you have all the control and power you need.    If you don’t like my comments, do what a few others have done.    They’ve simply blocked me.   You can do that too. 

Believe it or not, I’ve already cut way, way back in my comments and emoji’s for you.   You have no idea how many times you’ve left yourself wide open for comment.   And yet you still meltdown.  

So block me.   That’s your choice.   But that’s the best offer you’ll get from me.  You don’t show others any respect, I don’t see why you think you’ve earned any in return.  

I really don't care and have no desire to block you. You're simply like a gnat to me. You love getting triggered, and you love to complain and whine. So I never really expected you to take my offer. The offer was more an attempt to save the mods and board from the bickering. 

Your comments though are pretty telling. Worried about "control" and "power" lol. You sound like left wing media. I do find it funny so many have blocked you on the board and email lol. 

Anyway, I offered. Carry on, and keep being you. It gives me a laugh now and then. 

11 hours ago, Myles said:

But it isn't. 

And ours wouldn't really be any better. 

2 hours ago, Myles said:

Bengals record from 2016-2021

35 wins and 60 losses.

Man I’m not sure your criteria is sound.  
when ranking FOs, I think you would focus on the current squad then speculate about its future.

It appears that Cinn is set up to be competitive for the foreseeable future to me.  I’d be surprised almost shocked if they are not a playoff team for the next several seasons while burrow is on the field.

now how any team will navigate the AFC playoff gauntlet is a different story.

Cincy had to rebuild and seems to have done it effectively.  

I personally would love to flip rosters with them. 

37 minutes ago, Nickster said:

when ranking FOs, I think you would focus on the current squad then speculate about its future.

It appears that Cinn is set up to be competitive for the foreseeable future to me.  I’d be surprised almost shocked if they are not a playoff team for the next several seasons while burrow is on the field.

Sure…..    you want the roster….   You just don’t want the 6 years it took to get that roster.     35-60. 

People here aren’t happy with Frank’s 4-years and that’s 38-27. 

2 hours ago, Nickster said:

My criteria for ranking a front office would not depend on just the last season.  It would factor in the past 5-6 seasons altogether.  If the team sticks for 5 years and gets great draft positions for 5 years, they should be expected to have a solid team and good salary cap position.  It's much harder to do when your picks start in the mid to late teens.  I like to see consecutive good seasons before I give a good ranking. 

9 minutes ago, Myles said:

My criteria for ranking a front office would not depend on just the last season.  It would factor in the past 5-6 seasons altogether.  If the team sticks for 5 years and gets great draft positions for 5 years, they should be expected to have a solid team and good salary cap position.  It's much harder to do when your picks start in the mid to late teens.  I like to see consecutive good seasons before I give a good ranking. 

Same here, that is like some saying Matt Ryan sucks because they look at the Falcons success last year. Matt Ryan's career has been very good. It will be game over this year for Tennessee when we take the division.

3 hours ago, Nickster said:

I think Burrow is the real deal but if his Line doesn't hold up, don't bet on him having a very good to great career. We seen what happened his rookie year and last year he took a brutal beating. Before people say Cincy will be competitive for years need to hold their horses. Andrew had 3 very good to great seasons and it ended. I would bet $1000 dollars straight up right now that Cincy does not get to back to the SB in 2022. I even like our chances better. 

9 hours ago, EastStreet said:

What do you care more about.

Playoff record, and the future

OR

Regular season record and the last 5 years?

I care more about putting a competitive team on the field each year.   I don't want my team to only be good 1 in every 6 seasons.  

On 6/25/2022 at 4:30 PM, NewColtsFan said:

I had no problem — none — about the first seven teams.    But the next 3?   The Chargers, Bengals, and the Browns are, at best, debatable.    

Chargers have done what?   Bengals have had one very good year.   One.    And the Browns are a complete mess due entirely to their front office.    There may be an argument for these teams, but I don’t find it very strong.   I’d have the Colts in the top 10.   I’m not offended that we’re not, but I’m not convinced 8, 9 and 10 are better than we are. 

The Browns should be ranked near the bottom. Traded for a billion picks and gave an insane amount of money for a QB who may now not even play this season, handled the Mayfield situation terribly, and watched as Odell and Landry walked out the door. That’s an insult to a team like the Colts who have handles almost every situation the Browns have been in way better.

On 7/8/2022 at 10:07 PM, jonjon said:

LOL

omg dude my drink dang near came out of my nose. Pls don't do that again. Grigson was an incompetent  s c h m u c k. His "approach" got wins despite itself thanks mostly to the no-brainer Andrew Luck pick. He made countless dumb moves following that, not the least of which was totally ignoring the OL and so failing to protect a franchise QB with HOF written all over him, which ultimately caused us to lose him. He is easily the worst GM the Colts ever had. 

A lot of this is incorrect (Grigson was not worse than Irsay or even Chris Polian). But Grigson still had success as a GM…more than most GMs have in their first go-around. 

14 hours ago, shasta519 said:

A lot of this is incorrect (Grigson was not worse than Irsay or even Chris Polian). But Grigson still had success as a GM…more than most GMs have in their first go-around. 

My bad, forgot about Irsay Sr and Polian; Irsay was one of the worst GMs ever...Polian vs Grigson is debatable. Polian only had 2 yrs; the first year they won the div title and the second one Manning was out all year. So really he had about as much success as Grigson did when the starting QB was in place. His personnel moves were largely not good IIRC, but unlike Grigson, he understood the most important thing on a team next to having an elite QB is protecting that QB. Really I think the bungling both did in their terms was largely covered up by that elite QB. 

On 7/8/2022 at 10:32 AM, Nickster said:

Yeah this is something I think the board overrates CB on.  Many thing he swindled the Falcs, cue the greedy cartoon villain laugh and tapping fingers together.

when the reality is there wasn’t apparently a high demand for the guy.  

he might really work out here but good Lord he was let go along with a crap ton of salary for a 3rd round pick.  Similar proportionally to the mayfield deal just done.  These weren’t highly valued players.

it’s kind of like the last thing on the clearance rack.  It’s there.  It’s deeply disctounted.  You buy it.  Most of the time it’s crap but sometimes you get a steal.

hope the Colts got a steal rather than another vet that doesn’t really have a future and doesn’t pull us out of mediocrity.

Ryan's availability was a stroke of luck.  Sure, CB waits around not committing to a bad QB hoping that something good falls out of the sky.  Well it did.  That's not really planning. 

Its like planning to win the lottery, so that's why you play it every day and you won it. 

2 hours ago, jonjon said:

My bad, forgot about Irsay Sr and Polian; Irsay was one of the worst GMs ever...Polian vs Grigson is debatable. Polian only had 2 yrs; the first year they won the div title and the second one Manning was out all year. So really he had about as much success as Grigson did when the starting QB was in place. His personnel moves were largely not good IIRC, but unlike Grigson, he understood the most important thing on a team next to having an elite QB is protecting that QB. Really I think the bungling both did in their terms was largely covered up by that elite QB. 

I don’t think we know when Chris really started making decisions. He officially held the title from 2009-11. One of those was a SB year. But they fell off a cliff from 2009…largely because they guys got old and overpaid and because drafting was really bad. 

But a 2-win team is a really bad team. 

I was actually talking about Jim Irsay’s go-around as GM from 84-93. I don’t think they won a playoff game during that time.

On 7/11/2022 at 8:01 AM, Myles said:

I'll add what I said before.  It has taken CIN more than a year to accumulate the players that have lead to their short term success.  So, the good decisions that were being made over the past five years are not going to show up in past stats.  You have to look at their roster and determine when they were added and how well they meshed with the big impact pieces that were added more recently.

That's where the judgment of ranking comes into play.  If there was no judgment, this would be a simple data query and sort.

4 hours ago, DougDew said:

Ryan's availability was a stroke of luck.  Sure, CB waits around not committing to a bad QB hoping that something good falls out of the sky.  Well it did.  That's not really planning. 

Its like planning to win the lottery, so that's why you play it every day and you won it. 

I think you’ve tortured that  analogy almost beyond recognition.   Comparing the Ryan deal to winning the lottery is not even close to the same thing.   Sorry.  

What’s a surprise to you and me and the fan base is not the same as a football fan base.   The insiders have much more info than we do.  Much. 

3 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

I think you’ve tortured that  analogy almost beyond recognition.   Comparing the Ryan deal to winning the lottery is not even close to the same thing.   Sorry.  

What’s a surprise to you and me and the fan base is not the same as a football fan base.   The insiders have much more info than we do.  Much. 

Can you prove that Ballard had an idea that Matt Ryan was going to be released and his plan all along was to wait and pick him up? If I remember right, Ballard himself said he was just letting things play out and he reacted to what happened.

Your 2nd paragraph in the bolded is you pretending that Ballard knew this was going to happen all along. I seriously doubt that, and nothing Ballard has said that I've heard confirms that he knew this was happening ahead of time (especially when they released Wentz).

I'm open to see or hear any evidence that you might have though where Ballard admits he knew that the Falcons were going to go after Watson and release Matt Ryan when the Colts released Wentz, and they were just waiting to pounce on that moment.

On 7/13/2022 at 8:32 AM, Myles said:

I think making a SB and almost winning it qualifies as a good ranking. 

I also find it funny that the same people who bash teams such as the Jags, Jets, and Texans, for having high picks every year and doing nothing with them refuse to give credit to a team such as the Bengals when they make good use of those high picks and make a SB.

Not only that, but the same reason that they bash those other bottom-feeder teams, they use it as a reason why the Bengals SHOULD be good, because they had those top picks and they should be better than the Colts.

Make up your mind people lol. haha 

2 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Can you prove that Ballard had an idea that Matt Ryan was going to be released and his plan all along was to wait and pick him up? If I remember right, Ballard himself said he was just letting things play out and he reacted to what happened.

Your 2nd paragraph in the bolded is you pretending that Ballard knew this was going to happen all along. I seriously doubt that, and nothing Ballard has said that I've heard confirms that he knew this was happening ahead of time (especially when they released Wentz).

I'm open to see or hear any evidence that you might have though where Ballard admits he knew that the Falcons were going to go after Watson and release Matt Ryan when the Colts released Wentz, and they were just waiting to pounce on that moment.

You're reading way, way too much into my comments.   I’ve already said in multiple posts that we likely didn’t know that Ryan was  coming open.   But we probably thought it was possible.   And we probably thought there might have been other options.   

Look back at what happened.   The quarterback market was blowing up in mid-March.   And this website was in major meltdown mode because Ballard was being patient and not rushing a move for a QB. 

Ballard and Irsay have talked about this.   They thought something was going to break.  And it did.   their patience paid off. 

All I’ve stated is comparing the Ryan deal to winning the lottery is not a good comparison. Is that really a controversial position?   All I’ve said that a front office knows more about what’s going on in the NFL than the fan base does.   Is that really a controversial position?

No front office is perfect.  But our current front office is so much better than the one before.   I just wish more knew that. 

11 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

You're reading way, way too much into my comments.   I’ve already said in multiple posts that we likely didn’t know that Ryan was  coming open.   But we probably thought it was possible.   And we probably thought there might have been other options.   

Look back at what happened.   The quarterback market was blowing up in mid-March.   And this website was in major meltdown mode because Ballard was being patient and not rushing a move for a QB. 

Ballard and Irsay have talked about this.   They thought something was going to break.  And it did.   their patience paid off. 

All I’ve stated is comparing the Ryan deal to winning the lottery is not a good comparison. Is that really a controversial position?   All I’ve said that a front office knows more about what’s going on in the NFL than the fan base does.   Is that really a controversial position?

No front office is perfect.  But our current front office is so much better than the one before.   I just wish more knew that. 

It's not controversial, but it was far from a guarantee that Matt Ryan was going to be available. We may of gotten our first choice at QB, but it was very possible that the QB available could of been Mayfield or Garropollo. If that would of happened, this team would currently have a different QB today.

I will say we were going to get a QB better than a Mariota or Winston no matter what, the only problem I have is that we had no idea it'd be Matt Ryan of the three I mentioned, and Ballard may not of liked the other two as much or even preferred them at all. We got a good result, but it was a 1 in 3 chance, and not a guarantee by any means.

6 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

It's not controversial, but it was far from a guarantee that Matt Ryan was going to be available. We may of gotten our first choice at QB, but it was very possible that the QB available could of been Mayfield or Garropollo. If that would of happened, this team would currently have a different QB today.

I will say we were going to get a QB better than a Mariota or Winston no matter what, the only problem I have is that we had no idea it'd be Matt Ryan of the three I mentioned, and Ballard may not of liked the other two as much or even preferred them at all. We got a good result, but it was a 1 in 3 chance, and not a guarantee by any means.

Whoever we would’ve gotten the team would’ve felt better about than they did about Wentz.    The team was ready to move on. 

We might’ve gotten someone who only would’ve been our guy for 1-2 years, but we had to move on. 

Patience was the key this off-season.   Look at all the other teams that are about to start their season with giant question marks at quarterback….    Cleve, Carol, SF,  Seat. 

There’s an argument that you can also count teams like Chi and Hou as well.   Lots of uncertainty at the most important position.  We’ve made enough good decisions in the last five years that I don’t put a lot of stock that we simply won the lottery.   I think there’s some skill involved. 

15 hours ago, shasta519 said:

I don’t think we know when Chris really started making decisions. He officially held the title from 2009-11. One of those was a SB year. But they fell off a cliff from 2009…largely because they guys got old and overpaid and because drafting was really bad. 

But a 2-win team is a really bad team. 

I was actually talking about Jim Irsay’s go-around as GM from 84-93. I don’t think they won a playoff game during that time.

Trading a future 1st to position to draft Tony Ugoh was Brian's decision.

That pretty much says it all. 

9 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I also find it funny that the same people who bash teams such as the Jags, Jets, and Texans, for having high picks every year and doing nothing with them refuse to give credit to a team such as the Bengals when they make good use of those high picks and make a SB.

I don't think the Jags, Jets and Texans sucking most years makes it so Cincy gets a pass for being bad for 5 years and getting a good QB with the #1 pick in the draft.   I'm just saying that the same front office who put crappy teams on the field for 5 years doesn't get a pass from me for 1 10 win season.   For me, I need to see more than 1 season.

5 minutes ago, Myles said:

I don't think the Jags, Jets and Texans sucking most years makes it so Cincy gets a pass for being bad for 5 years and getting a good QB with the #1 pick in the draft.   I'm just saying that the same front office who put crappy teams on the field for 5 years doesn't get a pass from me for 1 10 win season.   For me, I need to see more than 1 season.

That "10 win season" they had is better than any season Ballard has had in Indy. In fact, it's better than any season since 2009 from the Colts period, including the whole Andrew Luck era. I guarantee you people on this board wish we could of had the season that the Bengals had last year. 10 wins in the regular season is irrelevant. 

You also know good and well how good the Bengals are now. Quit pretending they aren't. They have a top 8 QB in the league, a top 3 WR, an elite EDGE, and they have managed to fix the O-Line this offseason. That team is stacked. 

Pretty funny how the Bengals make the SB and it's just a "10 win season". If the Colts won 10 games last year and made the SB, we'd still be celebrating it today. When the Braves won the WS last year, they had the worst playoff record. You think that mattered to me? Of course not. They won it. They'll probably never have a better record than the Dodgers in the regular season. So what. The Bengals were in it and almost won it with 10 wins. That's what the Colts are going to have to do unless they get a franchise QB. Matt Ryan isn't in the same universe as Joe Burrow in 2022, so I'll take the Bengals result the vast majority of the time. 

7 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

That "10 win season" they had is better than any season Ballard has had in Indy. In fact, it's better than any season since 2009 from the Colts period, including the whole Andrew Luck era. I guarantee you people on this board wish we could of had the season that the Bengals had last year. 10 wins in the regular season is irrelevant. 

You also know good and well how good the Bengals are now. Quit pretending they aren't. They have a top 8 QB in the league, a top 3 WR, an elite EDGE, and they have managed to fix the O-Line this offseason. That team is stacked. 

Pretty funny how the Bengals make the SB and it's just a "10 win season". If the Colts won 10 games last year and made the SB, we'd still be celebrating it today. When the Braves won the WS last year, they had the worst playoff record. You think that mattered to me? Of course not. They won it. They'll probably never have a better record than the Dodgers in the regular season. So what. The Bengals were in it and almost won it with 10 wins. That's what the Colts are going to have to do unless they get a franchise QB. Matt Ryan isn't in the same universe as Joe Burrow in 2022, so I'll take the Bengals result the vast majority of the time. 

That's fine if you feel that way.   I just don't.  5 years of extremely bad football teams isn't erased by 1 year of success.  

If the Miami Marlins make the MLB playoffs and get to the World Series, in my mind it doesn't make their front office a top ranked front office (if it is the same front office that made the Marlins have the worst record in the league from 2010-2019.  

22 minutes ago, Myles said:

That's fine if you feel that way.   I just don't.  5 years of extremely bad football teams isn't erased by 1 year of success.  

If the Miami Marlins make the MLB playoffs and get to the World Series, in my mind it doesn't make their front office a top ranked front office (if it is the same front office that made the Marlins have the worst record in the league from 2010-2019.  

Marlins have a different front office now. They used to have Jeffrey Loria, and he ran that team into the ground. Recently they signed Derek Jeter and Kim Ng on board, and they were able to get a bunch of prospects from trading Ozuna, Yelich, and Stanton, as well as drafting high in the MLB draft for a couple drafts and splurging in international FA.

Jeter quit recently before the season started because they weren't spending money and wasn't able to obtain the players he wanted (i believe they are just under $100 million for a payroll). Now Kim Ng is in charge 100% and she has to make the decisions without Jeter. This will be her first draft on Sunday when the MLB draft happens (she is the GM, but her decisions went through Jeter before). 

Not sure if you are a Marlins fan or were just using them as an example, but that's a little update for you on them from the last few years. I'm a Braves fan myself obviously from the last comment. Always open to talking baseball if you want too, especially the MLB draft!

Just PM me for baseball talk as I don't want to take this thread off topic anymore.

5 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Marlins have a different front office now. They used to have Jeffrey Loria, and he ran that team into the ground. Recently they signed Derek Jeter and Kim Ng on board, and they were able to get a bunch of prospects from trading Ozuna, Yelich, and Stanton, as well as drafting high in the MLB for a couple drafts and splurging in international FA.

Jeter quit recently before the season started because they weren't spending money and wasn't able to obtain the players he wanted (i believe they are just under $100 million for a payroll). Now Kim Ng is in charge 100% and she has to make the decisions without Jeter. This will be her first draft on Sunday when the MLB draft happens (she is the GM, but her decisions went through Jeter before). 

Not sure if you are a Marlins fan or were just using them as an example, but that's a little update for you on them from the last few years. I'm a Braves fan myself obviously from the last comment. Always open to talking baseball if you want too, especially the MLB draft!

Just PM me for baseball talk as I don't want to take this thread off topic anymore.

I'm a Cardinals fan.   I was just using the Marlins because I seen they had the worst record in baseball since 2010.  

I do agree that it seems Cincy is stocked to be good for a few years, I was never denying that.  I just have to see it on the field for more than 1 season after 5 horrible seasons.   I think of the Borrow pick as similar to the Colts Manning pick.    Not giving too much credit to an obvious choice.  

Archived