Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Nelson

Brandon Scherff is the highest paid interior linemen at 16.5 million a year. How much do the Colts anty up per year before they say no deal? Or better yet how much would u the fan be willing to pay him per year?

25 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Don't we have like a trillion threads on this already lol.

Recommend making a poll if you're trying to quantify opinion. If not, it only devolves into the same folks saying the same thing lol.

I get it. I just want to know how much fans are willing to fork out. I am just amazed that the top guy is getting 16.5 but fans are will to go to 20 million 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Moosejawcolt said:

I get it. I just want to know how much fans are willing to fork out. I am just amazed that the top guy is getting 16.5 but fans are will to go to 20 million 

Should have made a poll so at least you have a quantifiable output about fan view of worth, or willingness to spend.

You can still do that, and ask the mods to merge.

The topic itself though has been beat to death for years now.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Brandon Scherff is the highest paid interior linemen at 16.5 million a year. How much do the Colts anty up per year before they say no deal? Or better yet how much would u the fan be willing to pay him per year?

7 years, 900 million, fully guaranteed 

• Haha 2

Related to this topic…but when do people think this deal happens? 

Braden Smith’s deal happened on 7/28.

Ryan Kelly’s deal happened on 9/3.

So that 5-week period seems like a safe bet. I’m guessing earlier than later. 

The vets return on Tuesday, 7/26. So my bet is they announce it the following day. 

10 hours ago, EastStreet said:

Should have made a poll so at least you have a quantifiable output about fan view of worth, or willingness to spend.

You can still do that, and ask the mods to merge.

The topic itself though has been beat to death for years now.

K ..Say he asks for 20 million a year. What would u do?

• Haha 1

Chris Ballard will make sure that he is compensated within the confines of building the Colts team roster.  

It really makes no sense to try to guess the amount - it depends on the mind set of Ballard - Quenton Nelson - and - Nelson's agent in getting a deal done.

Personally - I expect a number of extensions and reworked contracts before the end of training camp.

• 4 weeks later...
37 minutes ago, Rhodelesstraveled said:

You cannot pay a OG over 20 mil a yr period.  

I'll bet someone made the comment, "You can't pay a QB over 20 million a year" just 10 years ago. Now, the average cap hit across the top 10 QB's by $$ is 40 million. 

The Colts can and will pay Q at least near to 20m/year....and if they didn't, there would be a line of teams ready to do so. 

• Like 3

On 6/25/2022 at 12:44 AM, Moosejawcolt said:

The fans are not forking out anything. Irsay forks it out.

1 hour ago, Four2itus said:

I'll bet someone made the comment, "You can't pay a QB over 20 million a year" just 10 years ago. Now, the average cap hit across the top 10 QB's by $$ is 40 million. 

The Colts can and will pay Q at least near to 20m/year....and if they didn't, there would be a line of teams ready to do so. 

I agree and disagree.

Q is certainly worth it, but you can’t compare a franchise QB to a guard. I don’t foresee guard salaries making the jump that QB salaries, or even WR salaries have.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, DattMavis said:

I agree and disagree.

Q is certainly worth it, but you can’t compare a franchise QB to a guard. I don’t foresee guard salaries making the jump that QB salaries, or even WR salaries have.

At no point was there a comparison between guards and quarterbacks nor a suggestion that guard salaries would increase in tandem with quarterback salaries.

I think the point being made is that the cap keeps going up and we need to make sure we're going along with it. Every player seems overpaid if you consider their salary today in the contact of a cap number from 5-10 years ago 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Rhodelesstraveled said:

Wrong.   Also, he won't get 20 a year guaranteed.   I'm guessing 5 years 100 million 60 guaranteed.   He is the best player at his position in the league.   He is on track for the HOF.   You pay players like that

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Mackrel829 said:

At no point was there a comparison between guards and quarterbacks nor a suggestion that guard salaries would increase in tandem with quarterback salaries.

I think the point being made is that the cap keeps going up and we need to make sure we're going along with it. Every player seems overpaid if you consider their salary today in the contact of a cap number from 5-10 years ago 

There was a comparison in the fact that when talking about guard salaries he said, “I'll bet someone made the comment, "You can't pay a QB over 20 million a year" just 10 years ago.” which is the comparison I was referring to, but I digress. 
I completely agree that Nelson should be the highest paid interior lineman. I just don’t think we should follow the precedent set by recent QB and WR salary increases. 

On 7/21/2022 at 1:54 PM, Four2itus said:

Name the teams.

On 7/21/2022 at 3:09 PM, Rhodelesstraveled said:

Like it or not the Colts probably are going to.  They aren’t going to let Nelson leave so while I get fans may not like it in all likely hood it’s happening.

Interesting piece from Colin Cowherd saying you don't pay safeties, linebackers or interior lineman to build a championship team.

For a championship team, you need to pay QB1, WR1, LT1, CB1 and DE1.

You just have to watch the first 5 minutes.

10 minutes ago, PRnum1 said:

Interesting piece from Colin Cowherd saying you don't pay safeties, linebackers or interior lineman to build a championship team.

Well, some of us have been saying this for a long time now. Nothing new. 

You pay great-elite players at premium positions premium money. You don’t pay premium money to players at positions that are never going to give equal value back to the team. That’s a recipe for mediocracy. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, PRnum1 said:

I cannot listen to Cow turd.   Most annoying host I have ever seen.  

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Myles said:

I cannot listen to Cow turd.   Most annoying host I have ever seen.  

He's incredibly annoying.

But I think he has some good points here.  Especially breaking down the most recent championship teams and how they were constructed and where they spent their money.

Judging by Ballard’s comment yesterday, it didn’t sound like a deal is close, which surprised me.    Since we don’t know what Nelson is asking for or what we’re offering it’s hard to know where the problem is….

I think the smart move is to trade him if the season starts badly recover draft assets and save the cap.  OG cannot be overpaid irrespective of how good people think he is.  I saw John Hannah play and Nelson is no John Hannah.  I think Gene Upshaw was better than Nelson too.  

• Haha 1

On 7/25/2022 at 9:14 AM, Solid84 said:

Well, some of us have been saying this for a long time now. Nothing new. 

You pay great-elite players at premium positions premium money. You don’t pay premium money to players at positions that are never going to give equal value back to the team. That’s a recipe for mediocracy. 

I agree with him. However if our line played like it was suppose to the last couple of years, I could be swayed. If the assets they had invested were mowing people  over like the Dallas Cowboys, I could be swayed. The problem is this O line has  under performed and been over rated the last 2 years. They have not lived up to their billing and or draft capital. So therefore, Ballard's  philosophy of building a team in this manner is not working.

• Haha 1

For whatever it’s worth…..

PFF just named Nelson as the 11th best overall player in the league.   And thus is coming off his worst year by far due to multiple injuries and illness.   

Clearly they value him over some here….