Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Another positive article on Kwity Paye!

Bolt Colt

Indianapolis Colts: Edge Kwity Paye

Michael Hickey/Getty Images-Bleacher Report

The Indianapolis Colts have one of the league’s most intriguing pass-rushers coming up for their defense.

Kwity Paye, the No. 21 pick in 2021, made an early impact as rookie. He started in all 15 games that he played and racked up 32 tackles, three tackles for a loss, 16 pressures, 10 quarterback hits, six knockdowns, five hurries, four sacks, two fumble recoveries and a forced fumble.

While those are decent numbers for a first-year edge-rusher, Paye has the potential to make a massive leap in 2022. The Michigan product had little support last year, but PFF still gave him the highest pass-rushing grade on Indy’s roster and a top-35 grade league-wide.

Paye is in line for a boost in production due to Indy’s addition of Yannick Ngakoue in free agency. The proven veteran should alleviate some attention on the second-year defender.

With more support around him and another offseason of preparation, Paye could cement himself as one the NFL’s most feared pass-rushers this season.

• Like 7

5 hours ago, Bolt Colt said:

Indianapolis Colts: Edge Kwity Paye

Michael Hickey/Getty Images-Bleacher Report

The Indianapolis Colts have one of the league’s most intriguing pass-rushers coming up for their defense.

Kwity Paye, the No. 21 pick in 2021, made an early impact as rookie. He started in all 15 games that he played and racked up 32 tackles, three tackles for a loss, 16 pressures, 10 quarterback hits, six knockdowns, five hurries, four sacks, two fumble recoveries and a forced fumble.

While those are decent numbers for a first-year edge-rusher, Paye has the potential to make a massive leap in 2022. The Michigan product had little support last year, but PFF still gave him the highest pass-rushing grade on Indy’s roster and a top-35 grade league-wide.

Paye is in line for a boost in production due to Indy’s addition of Yannick Ngakoue in free agency. The proven veteran should alleviate some attention on the second-year defender.

With more support around him and another offseason of preparation, Paye could cement himself as one the NFL’s most feared pass-rushers this season.

It is a big deal that we get good rush from Grover or his repacement.

That will help loosen up our opponents O-LINE.
    Paye beside Buckner is a Winner.

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, throwing BBZ said:

What? Grover has played well overall.. We were lacking pass rush across the board. Mainly because 99 is easily doubled. Adding Yannick will make offenses think twice about who they have to double or slide to. Grove is our primary run stopper, and he does very well at it. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, throwing BBZ said:

Gus's scheme doesn't look for the NT to really be a pressure guy.

Also, while the 3T (Defo) generally lines up to the side of the Big End (Paye), Grover will come out roughly 40% of snaps (passing downs) and the 3T slides in. The question will be if Paye slides inside too, or if a guy like Lewis or Dayo is simply plugged in. Also, with Ngakoue likely playing pass rush downs, it'll be interesting to see who plays RDE/LEO on early running downs (Lewis or Dayo).

In other words, we're going to see at least two somewhat standard/regular alignments (early vs late downs), and then specialized/situational packages like goal line and NASCAR. 

Bradley's scheme is also known to occasionally employ SAM on the LOS outside in "under" situations, more or less giving us a 5-2-4 look. Those SAMs have typically had a LEO type of trait profile. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, rock8591 said:

Running downs:

DE - Paye

DT - Stewart/Johnson

DT - Buckner/Brooks

DE - Dayo/Lewis

Passing downs:

DE: Paye

DT: Dayo/Lewis/Brooks

DT: Buckner

DE: Ngakoue

On run downs, Defo will likely be on Paye's side most of the time in Gus's scheme.

Didn't list backups, but I see Williams as the front runner for NT backup at this point. Johnson has never played NT

Run

LDE/Big End          3T               NT                 RDE/LEO

Paye                    Defo           Stewart        Dayo or Lewis

Pass

LDE/Big End         DT                 DT                     RDE/LEO

Paye                    Defo            Dayo or Lewis      Ngakoue

On passing downs though, Paye could move inside. Also, the interior DTs could align either way. 

I’m excited to see what Paye becomes.  When he was drafted the pundits were saying he was the best pass rushing DE in the draft.  His rookie year was very solid.  I think he’s going to be an absolute monster this year.

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah man! I'm likin' the look of this D-line! I'm thinkin' that Kwity is going to want to show off for his "idol" Yan. Yannick for his part is just lunch pale great. He shows up every year like phases of the moon. Dayo is going to come at you from about 3 spots across the line. I believe from what I've read that these two young DTs will represent well. I predict that young man from Cincy will knock some people on their butts. Ben B. may just be a late bloomer (it happens). Tyquan can ball, and the big boys don't worry me at all. Its a REAL good D-line.

It might be lofty, but I think Kwity can get 10 sacks. Anyone that watched Kwity knows 4.5 sacks doesn't tell the story of his season. He was a terror consistently getting to the backfield and hitting QBs. Unfortunately, Kwity fell victim to QBs throwing the ball away last second as he's about to bring them down. Josh Johnson and Mac Jones come to mind.

On 6/25/2022 at 10:28 AM, rock8591 said:

Running downs:

DE - Paye

DT - Stewart/Johnson

DT - Buckner/Brooks

DE - Dayo/Lewis

Passing downs:

DE: Paye

DT: Dayo/Lewis/Brooks

DT: Buckner

DE: Ngakoue

Dayo and Lewis are too big to play the LEO position. 

Paye's knock coming out of college was that he "looked good" but didn't have the production to back it up. I'll believe otherwise when I see it. 

PS: wth is a "Defo?"

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, jonjon said:

Paye's knock coming out of college was that he "looked good" but didn't have the production to back it up. I'll believe otherwise when I see it. 

PS: wth is a "Defo?"

DeFo is short for DeForest Buckner

• Like 1

On 6/24/2022 at 10:02 PM, EastStreet said:

Gus's scheme doesn't look for the NT to really be a pressure guy.

Also, while the 3T (Defo) generally lines up to the side of the Big End (Paye), Grover will come out roughly 40% of snaps (passing downs) and the 3T slides in. The question will be if Paye slides inside too, or if a guy like Lewis or Dayo is simply plugged in. Also, with Ngakoue likely playing pass rush downs, it'll be interesting to see who plays RDE/LEO on early running downs (Lewis or Dayo).

In other words, we're going to see at least two somewhat standard/regular alignments (early vs late downs), and then specialized/situational packages like goal line and NASCAR. 

Bradley's scheme is also known to occasionally employ SAM on the LOS outside in "under" situations, more or less giving us a 5-2-4 look. Those SAMs have typically had a LEO type of trait profile. 

I’m thinking they’ll lineup Paye inside quite a bit on passing downs. I really think it suits his skills.  His burst and strength and bull rush  could collapse pockets and move QBs off their nuts.  

I would be somewhat surprised to see him develop into a 9 who gets home a lot with his stiff hips.

Freeney wasn’t all that loose but those spin moves were ridiculous.  Never seen it like that before or since.  Paye has quick feet too though.  Maybe Mathis can call on his ole buddy to somehow teach him those dance steps.

we paid our Sam a decent salary and the position is basically non existent  in most of today’s schemes so I would 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nickster said:

I’m thinking they’ll lineup Paye inside quite a bit on passing downs. I really think it suits his skills.  His burst and strength and bull rush  could collapse pockets and move QBs off their nuts.  

I would be somewhat surprised to see him develop into a 9 who gets home a lot with his stiff hips.

Freeney wasn’t all that loose but those spin moves were ridiculous.  Never seen it like that before or since.  Paye has quick feet too though.  Maybe Mathis can call on his ole buddy to somehow teach him those dance steps.

we paid our Sam a decent salary and the position is basically non existent  in most of today’s schemes so I would 

Frankly I have zero idea of what they will do with Paye outside of early downs. 

There have been counter narratives this offseason. Before Ngakoue was picked up, they talked about how he was a fit at LEO. Then they signed a true LEO lol.

In college, they lined him up all over the place from interior to wide. He looked great on the interior in the highlights. 

But overall, just not sure what to do with him. I'd like to see him given the chance to develop outside moves. But I also want the best floater (on passing downs) sliding in. It'll be interesting to see how Dayo and Lewis are used. Dayo's development could impact a lot. If Dayo can live up to some of the hype, a passing down line up of Paye - Dayo - Defo - Ngakoue could be pretty sick. 

And I'm interested to see if we have those SAM subpackages. Just not sure what to expect. 

12 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Frankly I have zero idea of what they will do with Paye outside of early downs. 

There have been counter narratives this offseason. Before Ngakoue was picked up, they talked about how he was a fit at LEO. Then they signed a true LEO lol.

In college, they lined him up all over the place from interior to wide. He looked great on the interior in the highlights. 

But overall, just not sure what to do with him. I'd like to see him given the chance to develop outside moves. But I also want the best floater (on passing downs) sliding in. It'll be interesting to see how Dayo and Lewis are used. Dayo's development could impact a lot. If Dayo can live up to some of the hype, a passing down line up of Paye - Dayo - Defo - Ngakoue could be pretty sick. 

And I'm interested to see if we have those SAM subpackages. Just not sure what to expect. 

Yeah I argued with people about Paye not suited for Leo.

he’s so strong I and has such good hands I think he could hold his own on draws and regular handoffs from 3 T   And centers would almost certainly need guard help in 3rd and long from the 1T.

I expect them to use him this way since they signed Ngakuoe.

I wonder if they would consider putting Buckner on the end some with Dayo and paye at 1 and 3?  Create mismatches and different looks?

they’ve been trying to build a diverse multi threat Dline with guys doing different things aka Watts and Clooney’s Texans and buck and nine RZ imo.  I don’t think any of our linemen except Grover and now yannick are definite single tech guys.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Nickster said:

Yeah I argued with people about Paye not suited for Leo.

he’s so strong I and has such good hands I think he could hold his own on draws and regular handoffs from 3 T   And centers would almost certainly need guard help in 3rd and long from the 1T.

I expect them to use him this way since they signed Ngakuoe.

I wonder if they would consider putting Buckner on the end some with Dayo and paye at 1 and 3?  Create mismatches and different looks?

they’ve been trying to build a diverse multi threat Dline with guys doing different things aka Watts and Clooney’s Texans and buck and nine RZ imo.  I don’t think any of our linemen except Grover and now yannick are definite single tech guys.

For me, it's just too early to say what Paye is, or isn't. 

He was used all over the place in various ways in college, and simply never had time to develop at any one position. 

But we do know that Paye is faster, stronger, and more explosive than Ngakoue from a RAS perspective. We know Ngakoue is suspect vs the run, which Paye is already very good at. I don't think we know yet how Paye will develop as a pass rusher (inside or out). 

Overall, just hope we see more stunting, and more team specific matchup alignments. We've got some nice traits in our 6 man rotation, and I just want to see us use them appropriately. 

1 hour ago, EastStreet said:

For me, it's just too early to say what Paye is, or isn't. 

He was used all over the place in various ways in college, and simply never had time to develop at any one position. 

But we do know that Paye is faster, stronger, and more explosive than Ngakoue from a RAS perspective. We know Ngakoue is suspect vs the run, which Paye is already very good at. I don't think we know yet how Paye will develop as a pass rusher (inside or out). 

Overall, just hope we see more stunting, and more team specific matchup alignments. We've got some nice traits in our 6 man rotation, and I just want to see us use them appropriately. 

Yeah, they gotta produce a pass rush or it’s going to be an average at best Defense again.  The safety situation is not clear even from a personnel standpoint let alone a performance standpoint.

Who’s playing deep East?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Nickster said:

Yeah, they gotta produce a pass rush or it’s going to be an average at best Defense again.  The safety situation is not clear even from a personnel standpoint let alone a performance standpoint.

Who’s playing deep East?

I'm a little optimistic about our pass rush. Going from read-react to downhill gap should provide early returns IMO. Might hurt us a bit in run-D, but overall we should see our sacks go up. I'm still a bit perplexed that Flus stayed read-react for so long without blitzing more. That's a bad combo to expect sacks/pressures. 

Deep is the great unknown right now lol. Blackmon is recovering and might not even be the best centerfield option when healthy. McLeod has experience at both FS and SS. Cross has crazy speed (4.3s) but was used as an enforcer similar to Blackmon at times. Cross might be too tight for C2 split FS, but might be OK as a C3 FS. Keep in mind most draft profiles had Blackmon as a nickel, split, or box safety. Just really hard to guess what happens here.