Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Nose Tackle Not A Need?

In a recent interview, Colts GM Ryan Grigson says the Colts "have nose tackles" (as far as Brandon McKinney and Antonio Johnson). He complemented both of them and almost made it seem as if we don't need one and the starter will be the one with the best camp. So if this is true, does this change the Colts draft plans at all?

Link: http://espn.go.com/blog/afcsouth/post/_/id/36130/grigson-thinks-colts-have-nose-tackles

He needs to realize that it's hard to have a great 3-4 without a good NT. McKinney never got a shot since Ngata started, but maybe this is his shot. I still think it's worth spending a pick (whether it be in the 3rd or 5th or 6th) on a NT, so that we could go into TC and preseason with some quality players at that spot.

I think he is more illustrating that there is no need to reach for one. We can go into the season as is and probably be OK. I am not crazy about any of the DTs in this draft. I would be fine picking one up in the 3-5 (no need to reach with the 34th).

Call me crazy, but I almost bet Mookie would fit better in a 3-4 as a clogger, rather than in a 4-3 as a penetrator. He's just a big, slow, hard to move man. Not gonna shoot his gap and make plays in the backfield, but he can hold up against double teams pretty well.

Still though, a late-round, high potential NT would be fine by me. Maybe Fangupo or Jean-Baptiste.

TE is our only true need, as we really only have one, and I don't see him as a starter right now.

Next may be WR only because Reggie's got a couple of years, and the next two are question marks after the past year+.

I'm still thinking we'll be seeing PBA all the way in the draft.

If we don't draft a TE or a WR, we'll look at cheap fillers in FA later, but I think if we reach anywhere, it'll be in those two spots.

TE is our only true need, as we really only have one, and I don't see him as a starter right now.

Next may be WR only because Reggie's got a couple of years, and the next two are question marks after the past year+.

I'm still thinking we'll be seeing PBA all the way in the draft.

If we don't draft a TE or a WR, we'll look at cheap fillers in FA later, but I think if we reach anywhere, it'll be in those two spots.

While I disagree with priority of the needs you listed. I do agree your other statement. Teams would rather see who falls to them rather than be pigeonholed into drafting certain positions.

I still think we should draft a NT in round 3, 4, or 5.

It's nearly impossible to fill all the holes on our roster with one draft. I think we should draft a NT in the mid rounds like Nicolas Jean-Baptiste from Baylor and then draft another NT in next years draft with our 1st or 2nd round pick. In my opinion our priority should be the Offense in this years draft. We need protection and some weapons for Andrew. We have an aging Reggie Wayne, Austin Collie, a questionmark called Donnie Avery and some unknown guys as Receivers and with Brody Eldridge only one blocking TE. That's not much. Maybe a guy like Baptiste turns out great and if not we still can draft a NT high next year, we will struggle anyway this year with alle the holes and rebuilding.

1QB-Luck

2Corner-Janoris Jenkins

3Wide Receiver-AJ Jenkins, Sanu, Criner best available

4Tight End-Ladarius Green

5Defensive Tackle-Akiem Hicks or Baptiste

5Wide Receiver

6Line backer

7Whalen-wide receiver stanford

7 LineBacker

7Guard

that would take care of all our needs and also bring in some good talent most of which could start

He needs to realize that it's hard to have a great 3-4 without a good NT. McKinney never got a shot since Ngata started, but maybe this is his shot. I still think it's worth spending a pick (whether it be in the 3rd or 5th or 6th) on a NT, so that we could go into TC and preseason with some quality players at that spot.

You don't think Grigson realizes this?

In a recent interview, Colts GM Ryan Grigson says the Colts "have nose tackles" (as far as Brandon McKinney and Antonio Johnson). He complemented both of them and almost made it seem as if we don't need one and the starter will be the one with the best camp. So if this is true, does this change the Colts draft plans at all?

Link: http://espn.go.com/b...ve-nose-tackles

This is coach/GM speak. I don't believe for a second that Grigson thinks the NT that will take them into the future is on the roster. Of course they can use an upgrade. But he is saying that if the NT they want is gone or if the ones that would be available in the later rounds are not worth the pick over a player at another position, they will play this year with what they have already. There are too many holes on the roster for all to be solved in this draft alone.