Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

PFF explains how Colts can exceed expectations this year.

Bolt Colt

PFF explains how Colts can exceed expectations

by Jaleel Grandberry2 

The Indianapolis Colts are currently considered fringe contenders but PFF believes there’s a formula Indy could follow to exceed expectations.

Last season, the Indianapolis Colts were able to temporarily become a dominant team after starting the season slowly. In the midst of mid-season dominance, many felt that Indy was a lock for the postseason and would be an incredibly tough team to beat. However, the Colts collapsed down the stretch and missed the playoffs.

During this offseason, Indy identified all the things that went wrong and worked their best to address them. The Colts have a new quarterback in Matt Ryan, a couple of new young pass-catchers, and some additional Pro Bowl defenders. The goal now is not to only be better than last season, but to be real contenders.

However, Indy is generally considered a fringe contender right now. They aren’t with the elite of the NFL world, the top teams expected to compete for a Super Bowl, but they also aren’t towards the bottom with the teams already eyeing the top draft prospects.

In a recent piece from PFF, Kambui Bomani looks at five teams that are being overlooked and explains why they are underrated, and also explains how these teams can exceed expectations.

Bomani listed the Colts as one of these teams and argues that they are underrated because of the question marks on offense. However, Bomani also makes the case that Indy can overachieve because of its defense.

Colts will need a dominant defense to exceed expectations

Bomani makes the argument that Matt Ryan will take time to get fully accustomed to the new system, and that things could be even more difficult since Indy has a mediocre (until proven otherwise) wide receiver unit.

However, on the other side of the ball, there’s a star everywhere you look. With Yannick Ngakoue and DeForest Buckner up front, Darius Leonard in the middle, and Stephon Gilmore and Kenny Moore in the secondary, Indy has the potential to field a dangerous defense.

The Colts also have some emerging talents in Kwity Paye, Bobby Okereke, Julian Blackmon, and Isaiah Rodgers. So Bomani makes a really great point, this defense has the potential to carry what could be a struggling offense at times.

Hopefully, they’re never asked to do that. Indy does still have Jonathan Taylor and a great run-blocking offensive line, so the offense can lean on that as the passing game works itself out. If the glowing Matt Ryan reports continue into the season, Indy could have a complete offense.

If that’s the case, the Colts could shatter expectations. A dominant defense and run game are enough to make noise but if a timely passing game is added into that mix, Indy will be dangerous

Its fair to say we are fringe contenders. Havent won the division in almost a decade and squeaked into the playoffs last two times we made it.  New QB and DC and relying on emerging talent to develop.  Lots of questions but I still think we will be very dangerous the next two years. Will be a lot of fun

12 minutes ago, AwesomeAustin said:

Its fair to say we are fringe contenders. Havent won the division in almost a decade and squeaked into the playoffs last two times we made it.  New QB and DC and relying on emerging talent to develop.  Lots of questions but I still think we will be very dangerous the next two years. Will be a lot of fun

We will be fine this year, the AFC is loaded but the 1st goal is to win the division. Colts do that, we have a punchers chance to go deep.

2 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

We will be fine this year, the AFC is loaded but the 1st goal is to win the division. Colts do that, we have a punchers chance to go deep.

I believe so too!!  I know i sound critical but I try to keep things in perspective.  We have a great team so winning the division should be realistic. Its almost expected for me but TN is still a good team. 

11 hours ago, richard pallo said:

Back to the WR issue again.  If Ballard could somehow acquire another dangerous veteran wide receiver we would truly be one of the super bowl favorites.  Will he do it?   Time will tell I guess.

YES Reggie will get the job done and prove you doubters so wrong.

GettyImages-1380378621-scaled-e1651761010364-1024x681.jpeg

56 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

I mean, yeah, I hope Reggie can help these WR improve and step up so it isn't just the Taylor gang every game. Adding a solid vet wouldn't hurt though.

6 hours ago, Indyfan4life said:

I mean, yeah, I hope Reggie can help these WR improve and step up so it isn't just the Taylor gang every game. Adding a solid vet wouldn't hurt though.

Depends what it would take to sign one.  Right now we only have $24m in cap space next year so they will want to roll over what they can. The cap should go up as well so that will help. We have players due for extensions that will quickly eat up what we have. A vet WR would be nice but if we can use who we have it would be best for the team. 

8 hours ago, Indyfan4life said:

Hmm, what veteran WR is still out there, unsigned, that Reggie may know..?

Depends on what the expectations are. I think this team can win 10-11 games. Exceeding that would be like 12-13 wins...which seems like a tall order. But it could happen. To get there, I think a lot of things will need to go right in the passing offense. On defense, it will be about maintaining a really high rate for TOs.

14 hours ago, throwing BBZ said:

Just read that only four colts WR's drafted since 1980 have caught over 750 yards in their rookie year.  That's a very long stretch of time.  Looks like history says that's a lot to ask from Pierce in his first season.  

50 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Just read that only four colts WR's drafted since 1980 have caught over 750 yards in their rookie year.  That's a very long stretch of time.  Looks like history says that's a lot to ask from Pierce in his first season.  

Ryan can throw for 4200 yds without Pierce getting 750.

I would expect Pierce to avg. 3+ catches a game and 14 yds + per so 750 should be close. Right now we have 9 players that will be good weapons so i shan't worry about needing any more weapons. That just seems silly in the grand scheme of things.

Archived