Jump to content
Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The new Batman and Robin, Matt Ryan and Michael Pittman Jr? Very possibly!


Bolt Colt
 Share

Recommended Posts

Colts’ Matt Ryan, Michael Pittman Jr. Named as NFL.com’s 3rd Best New QB-WR Combo

 

The Colts’ new QB to WR pairing appears poised for a lot of success come 2022—with a savvy veteran and potential breakout Pro Bowler.

By Luke Schultheis  

 

According to NFL.com’s Kevin Patra, the Indianapolis Colts have the NFL’s 3rd best new quarterback to wide receiver combo, featuring veteran quarterback Matt Ryan and 3rd-year wideout Michael Pittman Jr.—trailing only the Las Vegas Raiders and Denver Broncos respectively:

 

3. Matt Ryan Indianapolis Colts · QB and Michael Pittman Indianapolis Colts · WR

 

The Colts continue to shuffle through QBs, with Matt Ryan representing the fifth starter since Frank Reich became the head coach in 2018. The former NFL MVP isn’t what he once was and is coming off his first sub-4,000-yard season since 2010, but he can still put the ball on the money and isn’t afraid to stand in under pressure.

Last season, the Colts didn’t trust Carson Wentz down the stretch, leading to a regular-season collapse as the signal-caller threw for fewer than 200 yards in six of the final eight weeks. There should be no such concerns with Ryan.

The 37-year-old might have broken his streak of 10 straight seasons with 4,000 yards (second-longest all-time behind only Drew Brees) but it wasn’t by much, netting 3,968 yards last year on a Falcons team in shambles by the end of the season. He still completed 67 percent of his passes despite a decimated receiver corps behind Russell Gage.

Now he pairs up with Michael Pittman Jr., one of the burgeoning young receivers in the NFL. In his breakout sophomore season, Pittman proved he could win one-on-one matchups and beat double teams. Despite the Colts’ pass-game struggles, Pittman generated 1,082 yards on 88 catches with six TDs. No other Colts pass catcher even hit the 400-yard mark. It was Pittman or bust.

If he can produce with Wentz, imagine what he can do with Ryan.

For what it’s worth, Pittman Jr., who eclipsed 1,000 receiving yards last season to go along with his 6 touchdown receptions, has already noticed Ryan’s upgraded accuracy:

And the pair already has budding chemistry with one another in team practices, meaning even better numbers could be in store for Pittman Jr. during next year’s campaign:

Pittman only continues to get better, and it’s not out of the question—at all, that he could put together a Pro Bowl season for the Colts in 2022—especially with Ryan’s consistency, decision-making, and ball placement now in the fold:

While Patra ranks the Raiders’ Derek Carr and Davante Adams, as well as the Broncos’ Russell Wilson and Jerry Jeudy ahead of the Colts’ new offensive version of ‘Batman and Robin’, don’t be surprised if Indianapolis features a Top 10 potential pairing here when it’s all said and done—and that’s league wide, not just new.

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Zareh Kantzabedian

@ZKantzFF

Some encouraging 2021 stats for Michael Pitman targets in 2022:

2021 OnTgt% throws: -Matt Ryan: 78.1% (9th)

                                    -Carson Wentz: 73.7% (26th)

2021 Bad throw %: -Ryan: 14.5% (5th)

                               -Wentz: 18.8% (26th)

Ryan threw 44 more passes than Wentz and was still a higher quality passer.

11:07 PM · Jun 7, 2022·Twitter Web App

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

Apparently these two already look like they are on the same page. Same thing with Ryan and Campbell. I am glad we had OTA and mini camp to get chemistry worked out.

I really don’t expect anything from Campbell, but I really hope he balls out. He deserves it and the Colts need him. Seems had a good minicamp. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  With Pittman, Pierce, Dulin taking them Deep, and Woods attacking the seam, our under game with Campbell, Hines, and Taylor will be exceptional.
And my Expectations for Campbell are very high.

  Ryan will complete passes to 8-9 or 10 and we will be hard to stop.
   Gonna put up 40+ several times.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Solid84 said:

I really don’t expect anything from Campbell, but I really hope he balls out. He deserves it and the Colts need him. Seems had a good minicamp. 

Reich had a good point about Campbell. None of his injuries are soft tissue of lingering. Everything has been a broken bone and just freak things. Eventually luck has to be on his side.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

Reich had a good point about Campbell. None of his injuries are soft tissue of lingering. Everything has been a broken bone and just freak things. Eventually luck has to be on his side.

You would think so, he has had some bad luck.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

We need to fight crime against the Titans :banana:

 

 Gonna put the bad guys in their place and to "hear the lamentation of their women". Avert your eyes cause this ain't gonna be pretty!  

    :rawr: :omg:  :colts:

  • Haha 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, throwing BBZ said:

 

 Gonna put the bad guys in their place and to "hear the lamentation of their women". Avert your eyes cause this ain't gonna be pretty!  

    :rawr: :omg:  :colts:

That game Jags game in week 2 will show me a lot, if we start 2-0 we are on our way. We will blow Houston out on opening day.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think Pittman's numbers with Ryan will go down.  And thats a good thing in that Ryan is going to distribute the ball to a lot of different receivers.

 

Hines is going to be a huge part of this offense like he was with Rivers.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, PRnum1 said:

I think Pittman's numbers with Ryan will go down.  And thats a good thing in that Ryan is going to distribute the ball to a lot of different receivers.

 

Hines is going to be a huge part of this offense like he was with Rivers.

I don't agree with the logic. Heck, the fan who doesn't even follow football knew that Pitt was the only option last year nearly every time Wentz was under center. More folks will be involved, but I think MJP's numbers will increase because of that. They'll get him iso'd on one side and he'll get loose more often than not. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think Pittman’s numbers will be roughly the same as last year.   85/1100. 
 

I think it’s most everyone else who are going to see their numbers go up.   
 

Wentz only threw 30 passes a game last year.   We didn’t trust him to do more.    Rivers threw 34 a game.   Luck threw 40.   
 

I think Ryan will throw 35-36 a game.   And completing two thirds of them he’ll have about 24 completions a game.   That’s FIVE more a game than Wentz who only had about 19 per.   That’s 5 more completions per game for Hines, Campbell, Pierce, MAC, Dulin, Patmon and the rest of the crew.   
 

Remember, Frank says over and over…..   we like to spread it around.   And that’s what I’m looking for.   That ALL of the receivers get a little sugar.   That everyone is a weapon.   That defenses can’t focus too much on any one player because we have so many weapons. 
 

This is my hope….

  • Like 7
Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I think Pittman’s numbers will be roughly the same as last year.   85/1100. 
 

I think it’s most everyone else who are going to see their numbers go up.   
 

Wentz only threw 30 passes a game last year.   We didn’t trust him to do more.    Rivers threw 34 a game.   Luck threw 40.   
 

I think Ryan will throw 35-36 a game.   And completing two thirds of them he’ll have about 24 completions a game.   That’s FIVE more a game than Wentz who only had about 19 per.   That’s 5 more completions per game for Hines, Campbell, Pierce, MAC, Dulin, Patmon and the rest of the crew.   
 

Remember, Frank says over and over…..   we like to spread it around.   And that’s what I’m looking for.   That ALL of the receivers get a little sugar.   That everyone is a weapon.   That defenses can’t focus too much on any one player because we have so many weapons. 
 

This is my hope….

 

 Pitt averaged 5.2 catches 12. 4 yds per and 6 tds
  5 catches per again   maybe 14.xx  and 10-12 tds
  All the elements will be there for him to be very polished and reliable in the clutch.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Would MPJ be happy with being called a sidekick? A lot of NFL players are alpha-types & might bristle at being called a sidekick. I would bet they view it more of a 'justice league' situation (to keep with the superhero theme) than as a Robin to someone else's Batman. 

 

Then again, I could be way off. Either way, I liked the bulk of the article, & hope the duo accomplishes great things this year.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...