Jump to content
Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Is Frank Reich a top 10 HC?


Superman
 Share

Is Frank Reich a top 10 HC?  

78 members have voted

  1. 1. Is Frank Reich a top 10 HC?



Recommended Posts

4 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:


Whats the point to make about Funchess?   The guy got hurt shortly into his first season.   First game?   Second game?   And he’s been hurt every year since.    There was nothing wrong with Frank wanting Funchess, it just didn’t work out. 

To my memory (correct me if I'm wrong), Funchess had a down year in 2018, his 4th year with the Panthers.  It was Frank that wanted to bring in Funchess.  They signed him to a one-year deal in March 2019.  Funchess was eager to work with Andrew Luck.  During training camp, while Luck was away from the team, Funchess and Jacoby Brissett got into a some heated head-butting.  And then Luck abruptly resigned in August, just five months later.  Brissett was now going to be Funchess' QB, whether he liked it or not.  The following week, Funchess got hurt after catching only 1 pass, and was out for the rest of the season.  It's my recollection that Funchess did not want to come back to the Colts in 2020, probably due to Luck's retirement.  The Colts signed Philip Rivers in March 2020, and Funchess signed with the Packers in April 2020.

You are right, in that Funchess getting hurt was not Frank's fault.  But I also had my doubts that Funchess was going to be that much of an impact player with the Colts anyway.  And he wound up being a nothing.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Reich is in the conversation to be a top ten HC. I don't think it's controversial to have him inside the top 10 but i'd probably have him outside that in the 11-16 range as i'd move McVay and Tomlin easily into the top 10. I'm not sure i'd have Kingsbury that high but I won't argue that here.

 

In the 11-16 range I don't think it matters much in who you rank where. Lets say the only changes from this PFF list are to move McVay and Tomlin up to 9 and 10 which would make:

 

11. Reich

12. McCarthy

13. Staley

14. Sirianni

15. Peterson

16. McDermott

 

If the Colts flipped coaches with the Jaguars or Bills I don't think anyone would (or should) be feeling like the Colts got a major upgrade or downgrade. You can make a solid case to switch up these rankings but this is the range I would have Reich in.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Idc what anyone says, it could be PFF, NFL network, PMS, whatever... no one can take away from what Reich has been able to deal with while still keeping this football program competitive. 

 

Talk about a guy that is never down and out. We witnessed a historic 1-5 start with Luck and we came back. We saw an atrocious start with Wentz and we still beat ourselves at the end to keep us out of the playoffs.

 

The dude has made every single QB we've had work, except for maybe Eason. 

 

Reich deserves his flowers and respect. Does he make some questionable playcalls? sure he does, but no one can take from him what he has done for the Colts especially though all the adversity the team has faced since Luck retired. 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:


I don’t think Frank had as much to do with hiring Gus Bradley as Chris Ballard did.   I think the DC hire was far, FAR more Ballard than Reich. 
 

As of now, I’m not much of a Bradley fan.   But if he doesn’t work out, I’m not blaming Reich, I’m blaming Ballard. 

Maybe so.  But if I am a head coach sorting the staff would be important to me.  I would not be happy with the GM making that call.

 

That said I do think Frank and Chris are tied together now.  Frank pushing for Wentz and Irsay hating the move so much, plus missing the playoffs put him in a win or else type category this season.  I suspect Chris stood up for his head coach too, in sorting it all out.  So this is why I think a low win total means a full house cleaning.  Might be wrong but just how I see it.  Also I think if they start slow Irsay will pull the trigger quickly.  Frank has to win early and often this season.

 

Good thing is I think that's going to happen.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

54 minutes ago, Boondoggle said:

Maybe so.  But if I am a head coach sorting the staff would be important to me.  I would not be happy with the GM making that call.

 

That said I do think Frank and Chris are tied together now.  Frank pushing for Wentz and Irsay hating the move so much, plus missing the playoffs put him in a win or else type category this season.  I suspect Chris stood up for his head coach too, in sorting it all out.  So this is why I think a low win total means a full house cleaning.  Might be wrong but just how I see it.  Also I think if they start slow Irsay will pull the trigger quickly.  Frank has to win early and often this season.

 

Good thing is I think that's going to happen.

I agree with most except that Frank and Chris are tied together. Ballard is very good at his job. I think it’s playoffs or Frank is shown the door.  There are no more excuses to not win the division.

 

I honestly have a feeling Frank’s seat is warmer than some may think. He cost the playoff game in Buffalo, banged the table for Wentz and let a rolling team go flat and miss the playoffs. If it wasn’t one of the worst QB classes in recent memory, I think he would have been let go.  It would have been a perfect time to bring in a new staff to pick their QB.  I think the door for that decision is still being left open in case it’s necessary.  
 

Now if we win the division and a playoff game...Frank will and should be brought back.  One and done and there will be internal discussions on the direction and state of the team. Could go either way depending on the circumstances over the course of a long season.  We miss the playoffs...he is gone. All fair scenarios.  
 

I personally think we win the division and challenge for an AFC championship game appearance. 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, John Hammonds said:

To my memory (correct me if I'm wrong), Funchess had a down year in 2018, his 4th year with the Panthers.  It was Frank that wanted to bring in Funchess.  They signed him to a one-year deal in March 2019.  Funchess was eager to work with Andrew Luck.  During training camp, while Luck was away from the team, Funchess and Jacoby Brissett got into a some heated head-butting.  And then Luck abruptly resigned in August, just five months later.  Brissett was now going to be Funchess' QB, whether he liked it or not.  The following week, Funchess got hurt after catching only 1 pass, and was out for the rest of the season.  It's my recollection that Funchess did not want to come back to the Colts in 2020, probably due to Luck's retirement.  The Colts signed Philip Rivers in March 2020, and Funchess signed with the Packers in April 2020.

You are right, in that Funchess getting hurt was not Frank's fault.  But I also had my doubts that Funchess was going to be that much of an impact player with the Colts anyway.  And he wound up being a nothing.


I don’t know if I can correct you on anything….   Though I don’t recall any fight between Brissett and Funchess.    The signing was not popular here in the community.   1-year, $10 mill, which caught us all off guard.  And he had a high drop rate.  
 

Then two things happened….  Frank came out and said he can live with a high drop rate if the receiver is still making plays.   Think Eric Ebron,  high drop rate and caught touchdowns.    And Ballard noted they watch film on every pass thrown to Funchess in his career.   And in the routs that Luck liked to throw most, Funchess was literally 100 percent.   Zero drops.   So the signing made sense in that level. 
 

As to the injury and not returning….  I don’t know what our interest was?   I don’t know if things soured?   But I don’t recall stories about Funchess wanting to come back, or stories about the Colts wanting to bring him back.   But he was out there as a free agent for a while before signing with Gr Bay for a small amount plus incentives.   And he’s pretty much been hurt ever since.   He hasn’t done anything for anyone.   That’s what I know. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

lol at Reich being ranked higher than Tomlin and Mcvay. Tomlin has had a team .500 or better for 15 straight seasons and Mcvay just won the SB. PFF never had much credibility with me but this list is terrible. 

 

Frank is not top 10. top 15 maybe.

 

BB

Tomlin

Andy Reid

Vrabel

Shanahan

John Harbaugh

Pete Carrol

Sean Mcdermott

Stefanski

Mccarthy

 

Just off the top of my head that I could think of in 30 seconds, there is certainly more

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, Nesjan3 said:

lol at Reich being ranked higher than Tomlin and Mcvay. Tomlin has had a team .500 or better for 15 straight seasons and Mcvay just won the SB. PFF never had much credibility with me but this list is terrible. 

 

Frank is not top 10. top 15 maybe.

 

BB

Tomlin

Andy Reid

Vrabel

Shanahan

John Harbaugh

Pete Carrol

Sean Mcdermott

Stefanski

Mccarthy

 

Just off the top of my head that I could think of in 30 seconds, there is certainly more


These polls are very subjective.  What are the parameters?  Wins, doing the best with the least, innovation, etc., all of it?

 

So a case could be made either way for many of them.  What has Stefansky done with a loaded roster full of top draft picks?  Has McCathy gotten the best out of GB or Dallas in recent years?

 

To me it comes down to who can motivate the player/team.   From what I can tell Frank seems to do a great job.  

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

This is extremely difficult, given the QB situation in all 4 years. My initial reaction was "no way top 10" but then thought it through a little more. 

 

With 2 quality QB's he's 21-11 with 2 playoff appearances. Without he's 16-17 with no playoffs. So much of the success and being a "great" head coach is having the star QB. It's why my top 5 include 4 coaches that haven't had the HOF QB. It's also hard because as a fan of the Colts I hold Reich accountable for what I perceive to be obvious bad decisions. They stick with me for a long time, and they add up. For the 31 other coaches, it's a blip as in "wow, that was dumb," but then it's forgotten. There is no "that's the third time he's made that mistake!"

 

So I'll simply look at it as who would I straight up trade Reich for:

1.Harbaugh - yes

2.Belichick - yes

3.McVay - yes

4.Vrabel - yes

5.Shanahan - yes

6.Tomlin - yes

7.Reid - yes 

 

I thought I would come up with more than 7, but ended up with a lot of "maybes." I'm not ready to grab Taylor off of one magical run, or go with someone like Bowles who I think is a good coach, but his record is 26-41. I'm not even sure about Reid, because I think if you swapped Reid & Reich, the results of Chiefs & Colts would have been very similar the last 4 years. 

 

 

 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, AwesomeAustin said:

I agree with most except that Frank and Chris are tied together. Ballard is very good at his job. 

 

I don't see Ballard going anywhere any time soon. 

 

This is my take on where it stands.  Ballard has supplied enough talent for this team to win the division and make some noise in the playoffs.  If you have all the same problems, if you have a slow start and/or a late collapse, if you have more Pittsburgh/Baltimore style single game collapses, then I think Frank is gone.  That's coaching/preparation, not talent. Frank goes, but I'm guessing Ballard would be allowed to hire his own coach and see it through.

 

Hopefully 2022 is a success and both are here for the foreseeable future.  Regardless, I expect Ballard to be here for a long time.  

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

53 minutes ago, #12. said:

 

I don't see Ballard going anywhere any time soon. 

 

This is my take on where it stands.  Ballard has supplied enough talent for this team to win the division and make some noise in the playoffs.  If you have all the same problems, if you have a slow start and/or a late collapse, if you have more Pittsburgh/Baltimore style single game collapses, then I think Frank is gone.  That's coaching/preparation, not talent. Frank goes, but I'm guessing Ballard would be allowed to hire his own coach and see it through.

 

Hopefully 2022 is a success and both are here for the foreseeable future.  Regardless, I expect Ballard to be here for a long time.  

After we win the division and go to the AFC the Championship Game everyone's job will be safe The Simpsons GIF by KiwiGo (KGO)- I have 9 to 1 odds we make the AFC Championship, I put 200 on it now so if I win I win 1800 (as long as we get that far I win, even if we lose that game). If I lose I lose 200, oh well. Odds as of today of us winning the SB is 22 to 1. I am staying away from that but if someone put 100 on it, they would win 2200 lmao , and only lose 100 if it didn't happen.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

33 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

After we win the division and go to the AFC the Championship Game everyone's job will be safe The Simpsons GIF by KiwiGo (KGO)- I have 9 to 1 odds we make the AFC Championship, I put 200 on it now so if I win I win 1800 (as long as we get that far I win, even if we lose that game). If I lose I lose 200, oh well. Odds as of today of us winning the SB is 22 to 1. I am staying away from that but if someone put 100 on it, they would win 2200 lmao , and only lose 100 if it didn't happen.


What’s the most you’re allowed to wager?  I know they don’t let you put a lot on prop bets.  
 

Good luck!  You win means we all win.  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, Smonroe said:


What’s the most you’re allowed to wager?  I know they don’t let you put a lot on prop bets.  
 

Good luck!  You win means we all win.  

It depends on the site, it is all legal now days. You have so many different sites with different odds. I am betting off Vegas odds. You have sites like Fan Duel, Raft Kings, Caesars sports books, etc.. Odds change almost every day but once you make your bet on a certain day with the odds you bet, then you have that bet no matter what. Right now the Bills are 6 to 1 odds to win the SB but are at favorite odds to make the AFC Championship Game, so if you put 200 on the Bills to make it to the AFC Championship Game and they do, you would win roughly 125. - According to Vegas. When I seen the Colts were 9 to 1 odds to make the AFC Championship Game I jumped all over that. It is really no disrespect to the Colts but teams like the Bills, Chiefs, Bengals, Broncos, and Chargers have better odds at making the AFC Championship Game. So at 9 to 1, I have nothing lose thinking the Colts can't go that far is the way I look at it.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/11/2022 at 3:02 PM, AustinnKaine said:

Idc what anyone says, it could be PFF, NFL network, PMS, whatever... no one can take away from what Reich has been able to deal with while still keeping this football program competitive. 

 

Talk about a guy that is never down and out. We witnessed a historic 1-5 start with Luck and we came back. We saw an atrocious start with Wentz and we still beat ourselves at the end to keep us out of the playoffs.

 

The dude has made every single QB we've had work, except for maybe Eason. 

 

Reich deserves his flowers and respect. Does he make some questionable playcalls? sure he does, but no one can take from him what he has done for the Colts especially though all the adversity the team has faced since Luck retired. 

why the heck should we shower him with flowers and praise when he put us in those early bad records with bad play calling ????

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, Shadow_Creek said:

why the heck should we shower him with flowers and praise when he put us in those early bad records with bad play calling ????

 

Players have to Play. Reich is a good coach. 

  • Like 2
  • Confused 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

It depends on the site, it is all legal now days. You have so many different sites with different odds. I am betting off Vegas odds. You have sites like Fan Duel, Raft Kings, Caesars sports books, etc.. Odds change almost every day but once you make your bet on a certain day with the odds you bet, then you have that bet no matter what. Right now the Bills are 6 to 1 odds to win the SB but are at favorite odds to make the AFC Championship Game, so if you put 200 on the Bills to make it to the AFC Championship Game and they do, you would win roughly 125. - According to Vegas. When I seen the Colts were 9 to 1 odds to make the AFC Championship Game I jumped all over that. It is really no disrespect to the Colts but teams like the Bills, Chiefs, Bengals, Broncos, and Chargers have better odds at making the AFC Championship Game. So at 9 to 1, I have nothing lose thinking the Colts can't go that far is the way I look at it.

I think those odds are a bit high so I see why you are taking the bet.  Considering no major injuries to key players, I would say it should be 4 to 1, so 25% chance you win that bet.  
 

The Colts are a really good team.  I was banging the table to bring this team back intact(including Wentz) while adding a few key players and the draft.  Getting Ryan was a killer trade and adding Yannick and Gilmore were the type of pieces I was wanting. If the safety group is strong this team is going to be nasty. 

 

Good bet 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

season 3 laughing GIF

In fairness to Frank, do you think Bill Belichick would've did any better with Wentz as his QB? I highly doubt it. We may have went 10-7 and squeezed in the playoffs but would've been one and done with Wentz. BB is regarded as the GOAT, so this is why I ask that question. Last season the Pats had a great defense and a rookie QB that played well all season and they got curbed stomped by Buffalo 47-10 in the playoffs. The problem I have with some in here, they just want to put our players down or coaches down but don't look at the  other 31 teams and analyze them. Give me Peyton Manning, Tom Brady, Andrew Luck or even Matt Ryan in his prime and I would go 11-5 every season just putting a headset on, eating White Castles, and drinking Whiskey from a flask every game on the sideline. Without Tom Brady, Belichick would be just another good coach. Give Frank Tom Brady in his prime and Frank would be the GOAT - see how easy that is.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, AwesomeAustin said:

I think those odds are a bit high so I see why you are taking the bet.  Considering no major injuries to key players, I would say it should be 4 to 1, so 25% chance you win that bet.  
 

The Colts are a really good team.  I was banging the table to bring this team back intact(including Wentz) while adding a few key players and the draft.  Getting Ryan was a killer trade and adding Yannick and Gilmore were the type of pieces I was wanting. If the safety group is strong this team is going to be nasty. 

 

Good bet 

Yeah I took the bet now because it could drop to like 5 to 1, etc..

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

season 3 laughing GIF

In fairness to Frank, do you think Bill Belichick would've did any better with Wentz as his QB? I highly doubt it. We may have went 10-7 and squeezed in the playoffs but would've been one and done with Wentz. BB is regarded as the GOAT, so this is why I ask that question. Last season the Pats had a great defense and a rookie QB that played well all season and they got curbed stomped by Buffalo 47-10 in the playoffs. The problem I have with some in here, they just want to put our players down or coaches down but don't look at the  other 31 teams and analyze them. Give me Peyton Manning, Tom Brady, Andrew Luck or even Matt Ryan in his prime and I would go 11-5 every season just putting a headset on, eating White Castles, and drinking Whiskey from a flask every game on the sideline. Without Tom Brady, Belichick would be just another good coach. Give Frank Tom Brady in his prime and Frank would be the GOAT - see how easy that is.

I think Belichick would of done the same thing he did for the Pats if he was the Colts coach, and that's get Mac Jones. Instead of Wentz, we would of probably used  our 1st and a 2nd or 3rd to move up and select Mac Jones and he'd be our current QB of the Colts. I believe we would of made the wildcard using hindsight from Mac's 1st year, and possibly won a playoff game depending on whom we faced.

 

The thing is, any coach could go 11-5 with Peyton, Luck, and Brady. That has been proven. It just shows their greatness. Belichick has had few seasons without Brady. However, he went 11-5 with Matt Cassell, and made the playoffs with a rookie Mac Jones. So the truth is probably somewhere in the middle there.

 

Yes, Belichick would of done better with Wentz than Reich. However, Belichick wouldn't of wasted precious draft capital on Wentz, he would of gotten Mac Jones. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I think Belichick would of done the same thing he did for the Pats if he was the Colts coach, and that's get Mac Jones. Instead of Wentz, we would of probably used  our 1st and a 2nd or 3rd to move up and select Mac Jones and he'd be our current QB of the Colts. I believe we would of made the wildcard using hindsight from Mac's 1st year, and possibly won a playoff game depending on whom we faced.

 

The thing is, any coach could go 11-5 with Peyton, Luck, and Brady. That has been proven. It just shows their greatness. Belichick has had few seasons without Brady. However, he went 11-5 with Matt Cassell, and made the playoffs with a rookie Mac Jones. So the truth is probably somewhere in the middle there.

 

Yes, Belichick would of done better with Wentz than Reich. However, Belichick wouldn't of wasted precious draft capital on Wentz, he would of gotten Mac Jones. 

Good points but I would rather have Matt Ryan than Mac Jones as far as just 2022 goes. I don't have the Pats making the playoffs in 2022.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Good points but I would rather have Matt Ryan than Mac Jones as far as just 2022 goes. I don't have the Pats making the playoffs in 2022.

I don't have the Pats making the playoffs either. However, I'd rather have Mac Jones even in 2022 over Matt Ryan, because we'd have largely the same draft capital, largely the same draft this year, and we'd have a solid rookie QB going into his 2nd year that could develop with a very good WR core. 

 

The Mac Jones route is better than the Wentz/Ryan route IMO. This is of course, with hindsight to back up my opinion.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I think Belichick would of done the same thing he did for the Pats if he was the Colts coach, and that's get Mac Jones. Instead of Wentz, we would of probably used  our 1st and a 2nd or 3rd to move up and select Mac Jones and he'd be our current QB of the Colts. I believe we would of made the wildcard using hindsight from Mac's 1st year, and possibly won a playoff game depending on whom we faced.

 

The thing is, any coach could go 11-5 with Peyton, Luck, and Brady. That has been proven. It just shows their greatness. Belichick has had few seasons without Brady. However, he went 11-5 with Matt Cassell, and made the playoffs with a rookie Mac Jones. So the truth is probably somewhere in the middle there.

 

Yes, Belichick would of done better with Wentz than Reich. However, Belichick wouldn't of wasted precious draft capital on Wentz, he would of gotten Mac Jones. 

I gave you a like and I think BB is great but without Brady I just don't see them winning another SB. I would take BB over Frank if we could do that deal so I am not delusional haha 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I don't have the Pats making the playoffs either. However, I'd rather have Mac Jones even in 2022 over Matt Ryan, because we'd have largely the same draft capital, largely the same draft this year, and we'd have a solid rookie QB going into his 2nd year that could develop with a very good WR core. 

 

The Mac Jones route is better than the Wentz/Ryan route IMO. This is of course, with hindsight to back up my opinion.

If we win a SB with Matt that would change your mind I am sure. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, AustinnKaine said:

 

Players have to Play. Reich is a good coach. 

 

Cuts both ways. Coaches have to coach too. We've seen some bad coaching and play calling at times. Bad game prep/readiness.

And the late collapse last season was almost a complete team collapse. Wasn't just one or two players. Both OL and DL looked like they were ready to go on holiday, and it wasn't just them. And that's on coaching. 

 

In short, there's a lot of good with Reich, and there's been a fair amount of bad too. Need less mountain top drivel, and more kick their ace attitude.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, EastStreet said:

 

Cuts both ways. Coaches have to coach too. We've seen some bad coaching and play calling at times. Bad game prep/readiness.

And the late collapse last season was almost a complete team collapse. Wasn't just one or two players. Both OL and DL looked like they were ready to go on holiday, and it wasn't just them. And that's on coaching. 

 

In short, there's a lot of good with Reich, and there's been a fair amount of bad too. Need less mountain top drivel, and more kick their ace attitude.

I think good to great coaching is important but having a franchise QB is critical. When Frank had Luck he went 10-6 and won a playoff game, with Rivers he went 11-5. Lets see what he does with Matt Ryan. I would expect 11 or 12 wins with him, if not than Frankie fails.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

If we win a SB with Matt that would change your mind I am sure. 

That's true. The odds are low of it happening, but it would change my mind.

 

Get to the playoffs, and give yourself a chance. That's all I can ask for.

 

Been a great year of sports this year for me. Braves won the WS. Avalanche are in the finals and have a shot at the Stanley Cup, and the Nuggets made the playoffs and Jokic won back to back MVP awards. Colts were the only disappointment missing the playoffs the way they did. If Matt Ryan win us a SB, I'll be on top of the world and will be first in line singing his praises and ready to build him a statue.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I gave you a like and I think BB is great but without Brady I just don't see them winning another SB. I would take BB over Frank if we could do that deal so I am not delusional haha 

Honestly Mac is an average QB in the AFC. NFC might be a different story. They will probably never win the division again unless Josh Allen gets hurt, and they are probably the 3rd best team in the division now.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Honestly Mac is an average QB in the AFC. NFC might be a different story. They will probably never win the division again unless Josh Allen gets hurt, and they are probably the 3rd best team in the division now.

I think they still finish 2nd but Miami is good. Allen is a beast.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

That's true. The odds are low of it happening, but it would change my mind.

 

Get to the playoffs, and give yourself a chance. That's all I can ask for.

 

Been a great year of sports this year for me. Braves won the WS. Avalanche are in the finals and have a shot at the Stanley Cup, and the Nuggets made the playoffs and Jokic won back to back MVP awards. Colts were the only disappointment missing the playoffs the way they did. If Matt Ryan win us a SB, I'll be on top of the world and will be first in line singing his praises and ready to build him a statue.

If Matt Ryan wins us a SB, Irsay will build him statue. That is just how Jim is lmao . It would be an incredible story. People in Atlanta would be in tears if that happened. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I think good to great coaching is important but having a franchise QB is critical. When Frank had Luck he went 10-6 and won a playoff game, with Rivers he went 11-5. Lets see what he does with Matt Ryan. I would expect 11 or 12 wins with him, if not than Frankie fails.

Purely my opinion, but Frank was very hands off with the O in Luck's year.

And until last year, was been blessed with a top 5 OL.

2020 was his best year so far, but I don't see 2020 as anything but average. 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

 

Cuts both ways. Coaches have to coach too. We've seen some bad coaching and play calling at times. Bad game prep/readiness.

And the late collapse last season was almost a complete team collapse. Wasn't just one or two players. Both OL and DL looked like they were ready to go on holiday, and it wasn't just them. And that's on coaching. 

 

In short, there's a lot of good with Reich, and there's been a fair amount of bad too. Need less mountain top drivel, and more kick their ace attitude.

Yeah the playcalling was bad at times, but a lot of the time Wentz was checking from pass to run, or vice versa. Reich is on record stating clearly that Wentz checked out of multiple runs in several defeats. You can see the playaction and then Taylor runs and sits behind the Dline, yet Wentz launcches it down into tripple coverage.

 

Not trying to change the topic to Wentz, but when he has the power to change the call at the line, its hard to discern who is really at fault. He goes in with two options, and then chooses. At first I was getting very frustrated with Reich and then I realized Wentz was checking out of the plays. Also doesn't help that he ran the clock all the way down most snaps letting the defense predict the snap count. 

 

There were a lot of issues going on, and I don't believe coaching is one of them. Also, I am not exclusively looking at Reich as a playcaller, he is a leader, a great leader on the team who has helped to establish a culture that is not found in many places around the league, and what I've also noticed is that the teams who have a similar type of culture tend to have success year in and year out. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, AustinnKaine said:

Yeah the playcalling was bad at times, but a lot of the time Wentz was checking from pass to run, or vice versa. Reich is on record stating clearly that Wentz checked out of multiple runs in several defeats. You can see the playaction and then Taylor runs and sits behind the Dline, yet Wentz launcches it down into tripple coverage.

Sorry, but I'm not going to hear the "Wentz changed the play" argument. 

We've seen bad play calling over the years. It's just not a Wentz phenomena. 

And we've seen some very illogical game plans. 

Just now, AustinnKaine said:

 

Not trying to change the topic to Wentz, but when he has the power to change the call at the line, its hard to discern who is really at fault. He goes in with two options, and then chooses. At first I was getting very frustrated with Reich and then I realized Wentz was checking out of the plays. Also doesn't help that he ran the clock all the way down most snaps letting the defense predict the snap count. 

If you are a coach, you're running RPO heavy stuff, and your QB is making the wrong call.

Or

Your QB is checking out of the play at the LOS...

 

Then the coach is responsible for managing that situation. But again, we saw the exact same kind of stuff with QBs not named Wentz, so either the argument fails totally, or the argument has much smaller merit. 

Just now, AustinnKaine said:

 

There were a lot of issues going on, and I don't believe coaching is one of them. Also, I am not exclusively looking at Reich as a playcaller, he is a leader, a great leader on the team who has helped to establish a culture that is not found in many places around the league, and what I've also noticed is that the teams who have a similar type of culture tend to have success year in and year out. 

Play calling is a large part of his job. And he's chosen to make it his job. He didn't do it well with LAC, which is the only place he really has history doing it. 

 

The team basically quit the last two weeks of the season. That's not great culture to me. 

 

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, EastStreet said:

Sorry, but I'm not going to hear the "Wentz changed the play" argument. 

We've seen bad play calling over the years. It's just not a Wentz phenomena. 

And we've seen some very illogical game plans. 

If you are a coach, you're running RPO heavy stuff, and your QB is making the wrong call.

Or

Your QB is checking out of the play at the LOS...

 

Then the coach is responsible for managing that situation. But again, we saw the exact same kind of stuff with QBs not named Wentz, so either the argument fails totally, or the argument has much smaller merit. 

Play calling is a large part of his job. And he's chosen to make it his job. He didn't do it well with LAC, which is the only place he really has history doing it. 

 

The team basically quit the last two weeks of the season. That's not great culture to me. 

 

 

 

 

"In ranking all 32 NFL head coaches, Pro Football Focus had Reich at No. 9 in the “Good Coaches” tier, which was the tier below the “Hall of Fame Coaches” tier."

 

ranked 16 in total yards 2021 (Wentz, Rushing title for JT)

 

ranked 10 in total yards 2020 (Rivers)

 

ranked 25 in total yards 2019 (Jacoby Brissett lol)

 

ranked 7 in total yards in 2018 (Luck)

 

Looks like he does just fine with playcalling most of the time. Also has never fallen below 7-9 Record with the colts. 

 

I know you said "you're not gonna hear it" but QB play does matter. There is no coincidence that the highest rated years in total offense are directly related to the quality of QB. I suspect we see another top 10ish Offense this season with Ryan. 

 

If you list it based off QB skill and what their offense's total yardarge ranking were, it would go: 

 

Luck

Rivers

Wentz

Brissett.. 

 

 

Not many people will argue with the talent level written in that order, while they played for Colts. 

Additionally, I would place Ryan slightly above Rivers and considerably below Luck. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, AustinnKaine said:

 

 

"In ranking all 32 NFL head coaches, Pro Football Focus had Reich at No. 9 in the “Good Coaches” tier, which was the tier below the “Hall of Fame Coaches” tier."

 

ranked 16 in total yards 2021 (Wentz, Rushing title for JT)

 

ranked 10 in total yards 2020 (Rivers)

 

ranked 25 in total yards 2019 (Jacoby Brissett lol)

 

ranked 7 in total yards in 2018 (Luck)

 

Looks like he does just fine with playcalling most of the time. Also has never fallen below 7-9 Record with the colts. 

 

I know you said "you're not gonna hear it" but QB play does matter. There is no coincidence that the highest rated years in total offense are directly related to the quality of QB. I suspect we see another top 10ish Offense this season with Ryan. 

 

 

He was more or less hands off with Luck's O. 

Remove that year, and his O's rank is 17th. And that's the definition of average.

And that's with a top 5 OL in 3 of the 4 years.

His LAC teams had the worst balance in the league. 

Folks want to give him uber credit for not play calling in 2017 with Wentz, but he failed when Wentz was here. 

 

And yes, QB play matters. So does coaching. Like the time when he didn't give Hoyer 1st team reps prior to visiting Miami (knowing JB was a huge question)... A Miami team who was a bad rush defense. He proceeded to go air raid all over the field vs a team that couldn't stop the run with a QB who didn't practice lol.. 

 

Get to the top of the mountain. Keep chopping the wood. 

 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, EastStreet said:

He was more or less hands off with Luck's O. 

Remove that year, and his O's rank is 17th. And that's the definition of average.

And that's with a top 5 OL in 3 of the 4 years.

His LAC teams had the worst balance in the league. 

Folks want to give him uber credit for not play calling in 2017 with Wentz, but he failed when Wentz was here. 

 

And yes, QB play matters. So does coaching. Like the time when he didn't give Hoyer 1st team reps prior to visiting Miami (knowing JB was a huge question)... A Miami team who was a bad rush defense. He proceeded to go air raid all over the field vs a team that couldn't stop the run with a QB who didn't practice lol.. 

 

Get to the top of the mountain. Keep chopping the wood. 

 


The first sentence is 100 percent FALSE, but certainly not surprising.    The latest attempt to trash Reich.   I’m sure you won’t remember this,  but you’ve already ADMITTED in previous exchanges that you saw ONE GAME from the 2018 season.   ONE.   And that was the playoff loss in Kansas City.    I laughed then, and I’m laughing harder now.  Because you’re making a false argument about a season that you didn’t even see. 
 

The offense we ran in 2018 was totally unlike what we ran from 2021 thru 2017.   It actually looked more like what Luck ran at Stanford.  And we talked about that HERE in this community all season long.  A short passing attack with a ball control running game.  It was a joy to watch.   Sorry you missed it. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:


The first sentence is 100 percent FALSE, but certainly not surprising.    The latest attempt to trash Reich.   I’m sure you won’t remember this,  but you’ve already ADMITTED in previous exchanges that you saw ONE GAME from the 2018 season.   ONE.   And that was the playoff loss in Kansas City.    I laughed then, and I’m laughing harder now.  Because you’re making a false argument about a season that you didn’t even see. 
 

The offense we ran in 2018 was totally unlike what we ran from 2021 thru 2017.   It actually looked more like what Luck ran at Stanford.  And we talked about that HERE in this community all season long.  A short passing attack with a ball control running game.  It was a joy to watch.   Sorry you missed it. 

Dude, WT f are you even talking about.

Please provide the post where I said I only watched one game in 2018. 

 

Is this like another sling box crusade from you... lol

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...