Jump to content
Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Is Frank Reich a top 10 HC?


Superman
 Share

Is Frank Reich a top 10 HC?  

78 members have voted

  1. 1. Is Frank Reich a top 10 HC?



Recommended Posts

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-head-coach-rankings-2022-bill-belichick-andy-reid-john-harbaugh

 

Quote

9. FRANK REICH, INDIANAPOLIS COLTS (9.7 – 7.3 RECORD WITH AVERAGE ROSTER)

Offensive Rank: 10/26 (+49 points scored a season)

Defensive Rank: 8/26 (-3.9 points allowed a season)

 

Reich has dealt with an unfortunate revolving door of passers Indianapolis but has maintained strong levels of offensive success in spite of that. His maintenance of a solid defense has also helped weather the storm of sometimes erratic play from his passers.

 

 

This seems worthy of its own thread. And I figured a poll wouldn't hurt. 

 

Edit: I'll say up front, I think PFF's list is questionable. Sean McVay and Mike Tomlin are listed after Reich, at #11 and #13. Zac Taylor is at #22, which is wild. I can see being down on Tomlin, but McVay is a top five HC to me, and definitely better than Reich. Zac Taylor was just in the SB -- might just be a magical postseason run that never happens again, but #22 is is crazy. However, listed ahead of Reich are guys like Kliff Kingsbury and Pete Carroll, who I don't see as better than Reich.

 

PFF's list does not include any of 2022's first time HCs (Eberflus, Hackett, McDaniel, Daboll, O'Connell), and it doesn't include Josh McDaniels because his prior HC experience was so long ago, so just 26 current HCs qualify. Retreads on the list include Doug Pederson, Lovie Smith, Dennis Allen, and Todd Bowles.

 

Edit: I voted yes. I don't see ten HCs that are better than Reich. 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Above average to be sure but to be honest I would like to see how this season goes with a quality QB and a team that is overall better than under Luck. Maybe Reich will then turn out to be very good - we will see. I didn’t like how the team folded last year, that always put the head coach in a very bad light. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Superman said:

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-head-coach-rankings-2022-bill-belichick-andy-reid-john-harbaugh

 

 

This seems worthy of its own thread. And I figured a poll wouldn't hurt. 

 

Edit: I'll say up front, I think PFF's list is questionable. Sean McVay and Mike Tomlin are listed after Reich, at #11 and #13. Zac Taylor is at #22, which is wild. I can see being down on Tomlin, but McVay is a top five HC to me, and definitely better than Reich. Zac Taylor was just in the SB -- might just be a magical postseason run that never happens again, but #22 is is crazy. However, listed ahead of Reich are guys like Kliff Kingsbury and Pete Carroll, who I don't see as better than Reich.

 

PFF's list does not include any of 2022's first time HCs (Eberflus, Hackett, McDaniel, Daboll, O'Connell), and it doesn't include Josh McDaniels because his prior HC experience was so long ago, so just 26 current HCs qualify. Retreads on the list include Doug Pederson, Lovie Smith, Dennis Allen, and Todd Bowles.

 

Edit: I voted yes. I don't see ten HCs that are better than Reich. 

They seem to be looking at quality of the roster influencing coaching.  What they do with what they have.   I could see where one could argue that Sean McVay's success benefits from presiding over established all pros in a variety of positions, even if only on one year contracts.

 

Zac Taylor has a bunch of successful first round picks.  (But they are young, so doesn't he get some credit for development?)

 

I can't speak to the specifics of the numeric rankings, but number 9 for Frank seems reasonable.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think the most important part of a HC’s job is to enable his team and to have them prepared as well as possible. He also has to establish himself as THE leader of the team and have them rally to him when it’s go time. 
 

Reich has a bad habit of not having the team prepared for game 1. We also saw he didn’t have our guys ready and fired up for the last two games of the season and we missed out of the playoffs because of it. 
He regularly has some headscratching calls and I sometimes feel like he misses or disregards the potential of certain players. 

He’s excellent at scripting the first plays of a game though and the guys love him. 
 

I have him as a top 11-15 coach. 

  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, DougDew said:

They seem to be looking at quality of the roster influencing coaching.  What they do with what they have.   I could see where one could argue that Sean McVay's success benefits from presiding over established all pros in a variety of positions, even if only on one year contracts.

 

Zac Taylor has a bunch of successful first round picks.  (But they are young, so doesn't he get some credit for development?)

 

I can't speak to the specifics of the numeric rankings, but number 9 for Frank seems reasonable.

 

Having paid a little more attention to the article, the idea behind their list is more than just 'how do we rank NFL head coaches.' 

 

Quote

 

Ranking NFL head coaches from an analytics perspective is a Sisyphean task for one simple reason: It's easy to win games with good players. Barring a calamity or an incredibly poor surrounding roster, most competent NFL coaches would still manage to be competitive for a playoff spot with Patrick Mahomes as their starting quarterback.

 

Using this idea in ranking the current NFL head coaches, we try to do two things: 1) properly account for a team’s talent level, and 2) predict something less volatile than wins. We do this by creating a multilevel model where the fixed effects are the salaries of each starter on both sides of the ball, including an indicator for if the player is a rookie, and the target is points scored or allowed in a season. A starter is defined as the player who took the most snaps at their position, filtering out key injuries. This was altered for several positions, such as the top three players being considered for wide receiver, cornerback, safety and linebacker, as well as the top two players qualifying for guard, tackle, edge and interior defender.

 

 

This helps explain why McVay is so low, it's based on roster construction, the fact that the Rams have a top heavy roster with their best players making a lot of money, etc. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

I have him as a top 11-15 coach. 

 

So what's your top ten? 

 

I think that's important in ranking. I'm working on my list now. It's easy to throw out a number, but putting it on paper requires some critical thinking. I said earlier I think it's hard to put ten HCs ahead of Reich, and now I'm testing that theory myself. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Superman said:

 

So what's your top ten? 

 

I think that's important in ranking. I'm working on my list now. It's easy to throw out a number, but putting it on paper requires some critical thinking. I said earlier I think it's hard to put ten HCs ahead of Reich, and now I'm testing that theory myself. 

Well honestly it really depends on how we look at this. Is it solely as a HC or are we also taking into account him being the playcaller for our O?
 

A lot of my issues with Reich is really with him as our playcaller.

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, DougDew said:

They seem to be looking at quality of the roster influencing coaching.  What they do with what they have.   I could see where one could argue that Sean McVay's success benefits from presiding over established all pros in a variety of positions, even if only on one year contracts.

 

But even if they are weighting the LAR roster, McVay is top 10 in winning percentage in NFL history (for qualifying HCs). 

 

He's also won 7/10 playoff games...and made two SBs in 5 seasons, winning one.

 

And he did most of that with Jared Goff as his QB.

 

It's inexplicable that he is ranked that low on a list that is titled "Head Coach Rankings"

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Honestly I am not sure where he slots.  I'm really concerned with the DC direction too.  The HCs in that top group tend to have an ability to attract the right coaches and I have a lot of doubts about Gus Bradley.  Is he going to be able to put up a defense that can survive in the playoffs.  I am of the mind that this season is going to say a lot about where Frank is in relation to his peers.

 

He has a team that should compete now.  There's enough there I think.  All I know right now is that he's a good offensive mind but HC has a lot of facets to it that cause some of the better coordinators to fail.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, shasta519 said:

 

But even if they are weighting the LAR roster, McVay is top 10 in winning percentage in NFL history (for qualifying HCs). 

 

He's also won 7/10 playoff games...and made two SBs in 5 seasons, winning one.

 

And he did most of that with Jared Goff as his QB.

 

It's inexplicable that he is ranked that low.

He's always had a pretty good roster though.  Although I would not want him, Goff isn't really a scrub, IMO.  Didn't the NFC West have some down years as a Division?

 

I think he should be higher.  I'm just saying that PFF seems to be using more moving parts to their analysis than what we might use.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

A lot of my issues with Reich is really with him as our playcaller.

 

Before the late season collapse last year, I would have said the same.

 

But since he's decided that part of his role as HC is to be the primary play caller, it makes sense to consider both when evaluating him as a HC.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Boondoggle said:

Honestly I am not sure where he slots.  I'm really concerned with the DC direction too.  The HCs in that top group tend to have an ability to attract the right coaches and I have a lot of doubts about Gus Bradley.  Is he going to be able to put up a defense that can survive in the playoffs.  I am of the mind that this season is going to say a lot about where Frank is in relation to his peers.

 

He has a team that should compete now.  There's enough there I think.  All I know right now is that he's a good offensive mind but HC has a lot of facets to it that cause some of the better coordinators to fail.

 

I think Gus Bradley is a big fish. He's not the guy I wanted, but he's also not some bum off the street who's never had any success in the NFL. I think more than anything else, the Colts chose from a pool of guys who will run the defense that they want to run, that they've spent five years developing. But I don't think Reich or the Colts in general have trouble attracting coaching talent. 

 

10 minutes ago, shasta519 said:

It's inexplicable that he is ranked that low on a list that is titled "Head Coach Rankings"

 

It's explained in their methodology, not that I agree, but I understand it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

So if I understand, they are using the % allocation of cap to position groups to decide if the talent was strong or weak?

 

Since Reich was hired, what might have looked like a weak LB group (due to cheap rookie deals) was actually a strength with Leonard. Same concept on the OL with Smith and Nelson. 

 

That said, I think I have Reich at 12 or 13, so not substantially far off, just not a top 10 HC.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

By the way PFF's list reads like a "we're smarter than everyone else" treatise.  I think it's awful.  Having McVay at 11 is so ridiculous that it kills the credibility of the article and it's not the only example of that.

 

I will say that I am intrigued by what McDaniels will bring to Vegas.  That team has a ton of talent.  He's been doing a great job with his offense for years.  So I think he's ready and expect him to kill it with the Raiders but you just never know in this league and that division is downright nasty now.

 

Also how will Denver respond to a new coach and a real QB.  They had a heck of a defense last year.  Actually now that I think about it the entire AFC West is going to be such a dogfight that it'll be a fun side story to watch unfold all season.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

46 minutes ago, Mr. Irrelevant said:

Above average to be sure but to be honest I would like to see how this season goes with a quality QB and a team that is overall better than under Luck. Maybe Reich will then turn out to be very good - we will see. I didn’t like how the team folded last year, that always put the head coach in a very bad light. 

I tend to agree.   The last 2 games have to be put mostly on him because the team played flat.  

I would love to see how Reich would do if he delegated the play calling and was the head coach of all part of the game just delegating what he would like to see.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Superman said:

I think Gus Bradley is a big fish. He's not the guy I wanted, but he's also not some bum off the street who's never had any success in the NFL. I think more than anything else, the Colts chose from a pool of guys who will run the defense that they want to run, that they've spent five years developing. But I don't think Reich or the Colts in general have trouble attracting coaching talent. 

You're right in that he's not a bum.  But he's also not a DC who gets the most from his roster.  I listed his history in the hiring thread, so he's just a guy that I've felt is a bit overrated and he's gotten a lot of good jobs without a lot of results.

 

When I look at this year's team and roster I feel very confident of the offense.  They're going to make a lot of strides.  But defensively we'll see.  I think there's an even chance of the defense disappointing, though of course I'd love to be proven wrong.

 

Looking at them overall...  Win total can be really high in the regular season even without a strong defense, so I am certain this is a playoff team.  For me the question is whether this defense will be good enough for the playoffs.  I don't have those types of doubts about that offense at all.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, Superman said:

 

So what's your top ten? 

 

I think that's important in ranking. I'm working on my list now. It's easy to throw out a number, but putting it on paper requires some critical thinking. I said earlier I think it's hard to put ten HCs ahead of Reich, and now I'm testing that theory myself. 

 

In no particular order these are HCs in the league I’d take over Reich. 
 

Kliff Kingsbury

Matt LaFleur

Sean McVay

Kyle Shanahan

Pete Caroll

John Harbaugh

Sean McDermott

Zach Taylor

Andy Reid

Bill Belichick

Mike Tomlin

Mike Vrabel

 

Also, I like Dan Campbell, sue me… :D

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, DougDew said:

He's always had a pretty good roster though.  Although I would not want him, Goff isn't really a scrub, IMO.  Didn't the NFC West have some down years as a Division?

 

I think he should be higher.  I'm just saying that PFF seems to be using more moving parts to their analysis than what we might use.

 

The LAR had won 7, 7, 6, 7 and 4 games in the 5 seasons leading up to McVay being hired.

 

In McVay's first season, they went 11-5. The offense went from #32 to #6 (DVOA).

 

Personnel changes obviously made a huge difference (they replaced Kenny Britt, Brian Quick and Tavon Austin with Robert Woods, Cooper Kupp and and Sammy Watkins at WR as one example), but it's hard not to see the difference that McVay made too.

 

And I am sure he had a big hand in rebuilding that offense (though PFF says it takes roster construction decisions out of the equation).

 

As for SOS, the NFCW has had some bad ARI and SF teams during the past 5 seasons. But Seattle has been a consistent threat and the division has been much tougher more recently.

 

Overall, McVay has coached against the #16, #24, #1, #10, and #6 SOS (DVOA).

 

Compare that to Reich, who has coached against the #32, #30, #32 and #22 SOS (DVOA).

 

PFF said it wasn't opponent-adjusted, but if it was, I think McVay might actually move up and Reich would be dinged, due to how weak the AFCS has been and that the overall SOS is probably the easiest of any HC on this list.

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, Superman said:

 

I think Gus Bradley is a big fish. He's not the guy I wanted, but he's also not some bum off the street who's never had any success in the NFL. I think more than anything else, the Colts chose from a pool of guys who will run the defense that they want to run, that they've spent five years developing. But I don't think Reich or the Colts in general have trouble attracting coaching talent. 

 

 

It's explained in their methodology, not that I agree, but I understand it.

 

Yeah I understand it now. Just don't agree with it at all.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, shasta519 said:

 

The LAR had won 7, 7, 6, 7 and 4 games in the 5 seasons leading up to McVay being hired.

 

In McVay's first season, they went 11-5. The offense went from #32 to #6 (DVOA).

 

Personnel changes obviously made a huge difference (they replaced Kenny Britt, Brian Quick and Tavon Austin with Robert Woods, Cooper Kupp and and Sammy Watkins at WR as one example), but it's hard not to see the difference that McVay made too.

 

And I am sure he had a big hand in rebuilding that offense (though PFF says it takes roster construction decisions out of the equation).

 

As for SOS, the NFCW has had some bad ARI and SF teams during the past 5 seasons. But Seattle has been a consistent threat and the division has been much tougher more recently.

 

Overall, McVay has coached against the #16, #24, #1, #10, and #6 SOS (DVOA).

 

Compare that to Reich, who has coached against the #32, #30, #32 and #22 SOS (DVOA).

 

PFF said it wasn't opponent-adjusted, but if it was, I think McVay might actually move up and Reich would be dinged, due to how weak the AFCS has been and that the overall SOS is probably the easiest of any HC on this list.

 

To the bolded. I think it’s particularly difficult to overlook or disregard the fact Reich has been unable to win in the AFC South. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

To the bolded. I think it’s particularly difficult to overlook or disregard the fact Reich has been unable to win in the AFC South. 

 

Totally. I understand 2019 with JB, but he also couldn't get it done with Luck, Rivers or (hand-picked) Wentz either. 

 

And while I don't think the recent TEN teams are nearly the pretenders that some Colts fans think, the AFCS overall has been pretty bad, especially the past two seasons with two bottom 5 teams in both years.

 

And even with playing likely the easiest schedule over the past 4 years, Reich has 0 division titles, 1 playoff win, 2 playoff appearances and has managed to win 9.25 games per year. On the surface, that's a fringe WC team.

 

And it's not like Reich has been able to consistently beat playoff-caliber teams. This past season was far better than year's past though.

 

I guess my argument would be that, if Ballard has been truly building really good rosters, then what has held back true team success? Like the type a top 10 team would have.

 

And we really shouldn't say QB and leave it at that. Because even with a carousel at the position, they have gotten good overall QB play much more often than not. I have been really hard on JB in the past...and Wentz this past year...but those guys still gave the Colts top 15-20 QB play much of the time (outside of JB's second half of the season). 

 

I guess I just think for a HC to clearly be in the top 10, I need to see the upside for a SB or deep playoff run. And as a HC, I have not seen that with Reich or the team. So this will be a big year for him to get over that hump.  

 

 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

If he stopped giving away games through not being prepared (early season trend) or poor in game coaching decisions, he’d have 2 division titles on his resume and probably more playoff success.  Then he’d be a no doubt lock as a top 10 HC.  As of now though, I’ve got him on the outside looking in (11-15 range).  This is a huge year for Frank.  If we underachieve again with Matty Ice at QB, we have to go get Sean Payton to get this team over the hump.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Too many slow starts tells me the preperation is not good. And the Colts under Reich have been notorious for starting slow, both in games and just the season in general. And the pattern is undeniable. Too many times they are digging themselves out of a hole. And that falls squarely on his shoulders. 

 

As far as the list, Im not gonna bother with that because it would just be way too subjective and I dont wanna argue with people over who I put ahead of him.

 

Id put him somewhere in the middle of the pack. I actually think his seat is much warmer than people might think.

 

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Not in the same order but

 

John Harbaugh
Sean McDermott
Zac Taylor
Andy Reid
Sean McVay
Bill Belichick
Mike Tomlin
Pete Carroll

 

based on that I think he is for sure in top 10. I also think based on JAX or the season ending games he can do better. 

 

I agree with above posters preparation and not really slow starts because I remember last season we had a streak going where we were the lone team that has started their drive with TD. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

No not top 10. Overall average. 

I like him as a guy and the face of the team.

Don't like his game planning on O or play calling.

No way I'd rank him above McVay or Tomlin. I'd probably slot Staley above him as well. 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  Imo, he is a players coach, that has a very good offensive mind.  That said, he needs to delegate to his cooridinators more.  Some of his calls have been very head scratching at moments, when a deep breath would have been better used. 

 

  I like the roster he has to work with now, so I will refrain from answering, until I see what he does with it.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Here is my list of coaches better than Reich (in no particular order).

 

1.) Kliff Kingsbury

2.) John Harbaugh

3.) Sean McDermott

4.) Zac Taylor

5.) Mike McCarthy

6.) Nathaniel Hackett (from what I've seen in Denver, I'd take the risk and I live in Colorado)

7.) Doug Pederson

8.) Andy Reid

9.) Brandon Staley

10.) Sean McVay

11.) Bill Belichick

12.) Dennis Allen

13.) Brian Daboll (seen enough from him in Buffalo to trust him over Reich right away).

14.) Nick Sirianni (for a lot of reasons I like Hackett on the Broncos)

15.) Mike Tomlin

16.) Kyle Shanahan

17.) Pete Carroll

18.) Todd Bowles

19.) Mike Vrabel

20.) Ron Rivera

 

So I have 20 coaches ranked before Reich. Reich is 21st on my list. Just outside the top 20. These top 20 are in no particular order. Just a list of 20 coaches I have ranked higher than Reich.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I don't put Frank Reich in the top 10.  And I'm a Frank Reich fan.

 

Frank's downsides?

He's not a great game manager.  Not seeing possession situations that are developing, that you can exploit.

He's not a great clock manager.  Dude.  Call the time out.  You still have three of them.

Carson Wentz was his choice.  Because he believed in him.

Devin Funchess was his choice.  Because he wanted him.

 

Frank's upside?

He's an exceptional leader of men.  Of great attitude.  Of great commitment.  Of great effort.  This does count for a lot.  Seriously.

 

I understand that he's probably in the top 10 of a league of 26 coaches, sans the new guys.

But all things being equal, among 32 coaches, I would still put him in the top half.  But not the top 10.

 

And I like Frank.  And I want us to keep him.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, Boondoggle said:

Honestly I am not sure where he slots.  I'm really concerned with the DC direction too.  The HCs in that top group tend to have an ability to attract the right coaches and I have a lot of doubts about Gus Bradley.  Is he going to be able to put up a defense that can survive in the playoffs.  I am of the mind that this season is going to say a lot about where Frank is in relation to his peers.

 

He has a team that should compete now.  There's enough there I think.  All I know right now is that he's a good offensive mind but HC has a lot of facets to it that cause some of the better coordinators to fail.


I don’t think Frank had as much to do with hiring Gus Bradley as Chris Ballard did.   I think the DC hire was far, FAR more Ballard than Reich. 
 

As of now, I’m not much of a Bradley fan.   But if he doesn’t work out, I’m not blaming Reich, I’m blaming Ballard. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Here is my list of coaches better than Reich (in no particular order).

 

1.) Kliff Kingsbury

2.) John Harbaugh

3.) Sean McDermott

4.) Zac Taylor

5.) Mike McCarthy

6.) Nathaniel Hackett (from what I've seen in Denver, I'd take the risk and I live in Colorado)

7.) Doug Pederson

8.) Andy Reid

9.) Brandon Staley

10.) Sean McVay

11.) Bill Belichick

12.) Dennis Allen

13.) Brian Daboll (seen enough from him in Buffalo to trust him over Reich right away).

14.) Nick Sirianni (for a lot of reasons I like Hackett on the Broncos)

15.) Mike Tomlin

16.) Kyle Shanahan

17.) Pete Carroll

18.) Todd Bowles

19.) Mike Vrabel

20.) Ron Rivera

 

So I have 20 coaches ranked before Reich. Reich is 21st on my list. Just outside the top 20. These top 20 are in no particular order. Just a list of 20 coaches I have ranked higher than Reich.

 

  Hypothetically, Frank is 9-12 on this list. With many here theoretically pretty much equal.  Our couch potato head grade list is pure comedy!
 Franks won loss record with yearly QB changes and a Ballard rebuild by the draft, is actually at minimun, slightly impressive. 
 But as some understand, that has been a TOTAL GM AND STAFF, Team and Coaching effort. 
 

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, John Hammonds said:

I don't put Frank Reich in the top 10.  And I'm a Frank Reich fan.

 

Frank's downsides?

He's not a great game manager.  Not seeing possession situations that are developing, that you can exploit.

He's not a great clock manager.  Dude.  Call the time out.  You still have three of them.

Carson Wentz was his choice.  Because he believed in him.

Devin Funchess was his choice.  Because he wanted him.

 

Frank's upside?

He's an exceptional leader of men.  Of great attitude.  Of great commitment.  Of great effort.  This does count for a lot.  Seriously.

 

I understand that he's probably in the top 10 of a league of 26 coaches, sans the new guys.

But all things being equal, among 32 coaches, I would still put him in the top half.  But not the top 10.

 

And I like Frank.  And I want us to keep him.


Whats the point to make about Funchess?   The guy got hurt shortly into his first season.   First game?   Second game?   And he’s been hurt every year since.    There was nothing wrong with Frank wanting Funchess, it just didn’t work out. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 feels about right to me, but I haven’t made a list.   But if someone has him 12-ish, I’ve got no issue.    I think most of the guys around 9-14 are roughly about the same and might appear in any order depending on whose list you read.    The guy is a very good, playoff caliber head coach….  I’m glad he’s the Colts coach.   

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Why is top ten the standard of measurement?  That’s only top third.  He’s definitely top 10 (maybe just 10) in my book but that could mean just slightly above average.  
 

top 10 to 15% is a different story.  Top 5 should be the gold standard to measure by.   I thought he was that before last year’s debacle but still think he has the potential to be in the top 5. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/10/2022 at 2:57 PM, Solid84 said:

 

In no particular order these are HCs in the league I’d take over Reich. 
 

Kliff Kingsbury

Matt LaFleur

Sean McVay

Kyle Shanahan

Pete Caroll

John Harbaugh

Sean McDermott

Zach Taylor

Andy Reid

Bill Belichick

Mike Tomlin

Mike Vrabel

 

Also, I like Dan Campbell, sue me… :D

That’s a really good list. I would also add Brian Daboll(projection), Doug Peterson and Brian Flores...at a stretch Ron Rivera. I find Reich as a slightly above average coach with potential to be outstanding...and occasionally call the dumbest plays at the wrong time costing the team at least a couple games a year.  Chances are good if there was any player that cost the team 2 wins a year he would be replaced.  
 

Reich is the Carson Wentz of coaches. Can stack up tons of stats showing he is a heck of a coach. Can also show a few left handed interceptions a year. 

  • Like 2
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, John Hammonds said:

I don't put Frank Reich in the top 10.  And I'm a Frank Reich fan.

 

Frank's downsides?

He's not a great game manager.  Not seeing possession situations that are developing, that you can exploit.

He's not a great clock manager.  Dude.  Call the time out.  You still have three of them.

Carson Wentz was his choice.  Because he believed in him.

Devin Funchess was his choice.  Because he wanted him.

 

Frank's upside?

He's an exceptional leader of men.  Of great attitude.  Of great commitment.  Of great effort.  This does count for a lot.  Seriously.

 

I understand that he's probably in the top 10 of a league of 26 coaches, sans the new guys.

But all things being equal, among 32 coaches, I would still put him in the top half.  But not the top 10.

 

And I like Frank.  And I want us to keep him.

I agree with you on some issues. Play calling and time management are poor. In game decision making going for it instead of field goals has cost the team wins. Coaches should win teams games not lose them. Team was ill prepared for the last two games of the season. * poor effort and lack of hustle this falls on Frank. Reich is closer to the bottom than to the top. He needs to improve A LOT.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Blueblood23 said:

I agree with you on some issues. Play calling and time management are poor. In game decision making going for it instead of field goals has cost the team wins. Coaches should win teams games not lose them. Team was ill prepared for the last two games of the season. * poor effort and lack of hustle this falls on Frank. Reich is closer to the bottom than to the top. He needs to improve A LOT.

Forgot about the slow starts each season. Start winning when the season starts instead of always being behind the eight ball. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I don't think I'm familiar enough with the rest of the coaches in the league to know where exactly I would rank Frank. But I like him overall. He does and says some things that I would rather him not, but it's not like I've watched every snap of every other team and know that coaches I think highly of don't do similar ill-advised things. 

 

I think I like him better as a head coach than as an offensive playcaller, but sometimes when he gets in rhythm his offense looks really impressive, I just wish it happened more often. I think he's really good at raising the efficiency of his QBs so I guess he's pretty good as a QB coach too. If I had more complete picture of all the coaches in the league I'd guess he'd be in the upper half of coaches for me. Not sure if top 10, but possible. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...