Jump to content
Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

2022 Minicamp Day 3 Summary


Recommended Posts

 

Today was shorter on media than previous days, so this will be abbreviated.....

Shouldn't see much from the vets until training camp starts in 6ish weeks. Rooks/UDFAs IIRC will come back in two weeks though, so maybe more then.

Overall, coverage was super weak this year. Especially the lack of vid. 

 

  • Buzz items
    • Kenny still a non-participant. More articles out there about him wanting to paid as an elite CB, not a slot CB.
    • Reich and Leonard seem to be on different pages about his injury lol.
    • Khari still out on an excused absence for a personal reason
  • QB - Ryan looking good again. Said he'll get together with WRs in the next 5-6 weeks. Hope we'll get some vid. 
  • WRs - more good press on Campbell and Pittman, and some good mentions for Dulin, Harris, and Patmon.
    • I think overwhelmingly, Parris has got the most good press throughout OTAs and MC. This group could be very nice if he can stay healthy. 
    • Reich said he's very happy with the group, and it'll be up to Chris if he wants to make a move to bring in another
  • TEs - more chat about hands issues with Granson and Woods
  • RBs - didn't really see anything about RBs today
  • CBs - more great press on Rodgers. More PBUs
  • LB - not much said, but Glasgow cut. Domann getting some good pub.
  • DL - I missed this yesterday, but Bradley talked about Paye, saying he's got the flexibility to play both Big End and LEO. In other words, tweener DE in his system (not tweener 3T/DE, although he could line up inside on pass downs). 
  • MISC - IU FB HC (Allen) was there, along with Ball State coaches. 
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, BProland85 said:

I really hope Woods works on his hands and run blocking. He has unlimited potential and is an athletic freak who can be one of the best TEs in the league if he works at it. 

Me too. Love his traits. 

You have to hope he's doing nothing but blocking and hands drills the next 5-6 weeks. Granson too. 

Hands are a funny thing. I've seen some guys really develop, other just can't get over the hump.

I think technique and S&C will help him with blocking, but the S&C will take time. I just hope the added strength doesn't hamper his speed. 

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

34 minutes ago, BProland85 said:

I really hope Woods works on his hands and run blocking. He has unlimited potential and is an athletic freak who can be one of the best TEs in the league if he works at it. 

I agree. He has a big athletic body and could dominate if he puts the work in. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, AustinnKaine said:

Granson shaping up as a bad pick? 

 

I would say perhaps bad fit, more than bad pick. 

He was used to a large extent as a vertical or deep threat in college. 

We've used him mostly in the opposite way like a Burton clone (short HB/slot/TE hybrid).

It's not a bad gamble that his traits could possibly be used differently, but it is a gamble, and was a bit of a reach out of the gate. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

46 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Me too. Love his traits. 

You have to hope he's doing nothing but blocking and hands drills the next 5-6 weeks. Granson too. 

Hands are a funny thing. I've seen some guys really develop, other just can't get over the hump.

I think technique and S&C will help him with blocking, but the S&C will take time. I just hope the added strength doesn't hamper his speed. 

U have to think with that height and those traits, scouts may have been concerned bout his hands as well. Therefore, a 3rd round grade.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

U have to think with that height and those traits, scouts may have been concerned bout his hands as well. Therefore, a 3rd round grade.

 

I think the 3-4 round grade range probably had more to do with the devalued nature of TE in general, than anything else. The hands things likely impacted things, but I think his RAS probably countered those concerns. This draft was decent in TE depth, but was not good at all on tier 1 types of TEs. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, BProland85 said:

I really hope Woods works on his hands and run blocking. He has unlimited potential and is an athletic freak who can be one of the best TEs in the league if he works at it. 

 

 Why? Have you heard something about him not wanting to work on the basics? Maybe another wasted Ballard draft pick.

  • Confused 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, BProland85 said:

I really hope Woods works on his hands and run blocking. He has unlimited potential and is an athletic freak who can be one of the best TEs in the league if he works at it. 

 

I hope he's not like Ebron where you can't throw directly to him, and have to throw it 10' away from him for him to catch it

 

Maybe Reggie can get him some of those orange gloves! ha 

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, EastStreet said:

Me too. Love his traits. 

You have to hope he's doing nothing but blocking and hands drills the next 5-6 weeks. Granson too. 

Hands are a funny thing. I've seen some guys really develop, other just can't get over the hump.

I think technique and S&C will help him with blocking, but the S&C will take time. I just hope the added strength doesn't hamper his speed. 


I’m sure you heard the story about when Reggie was a rookie and at one of the first practices he dropped a few balls.  Peyton looked over at the coaches and said “I though you said this guy was good?”

 

Sometimes it takes guys a minute to get the feel of someone new throwing to them.  Time will tell.  

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, EastStreet said:

 

I would say perhaps bad fit, more than bad pick. 

 

Wouldn't those be the same.   Drafting a player who is a bad fit IS a bad pick.  

I do agree that the NFL really isn't a great fit for Gransons college abilities.   I was not excited at all with the pick.  I want bigger TE's.   He's young, so maybe he will evolve to be a good part of the offense.  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Myles said:

Wouldn't those be the same.   Drafting a player who is a bad fit IS a bad pick.  

I do agree that the NFL really isn't a great fit for Gransons college abilities.   I was not excited at all with the pick.  I want bigger TE's.   He's young, so maybe he will evolve to be a good part of the offense.  

Granson was a Reich guy. He was pounding the table for him. Figures that someone Reich likes ends up failing in the NFL. Bad coach=bad judge of talent.  Makes Ballard look bad draft-wise and he doesn't deserve that. Maybe Ballard shouldn't let Reich have any say in the WRs or TEs we take. Seems most of them fail in the NFL besides Pittman so far.

 

Reich is no talent evaluator. Sorry, but he has no idea what he's doing except offering random advice based on his preference. Let the scouts and Ballard do their job. The 2021 draft is already looking like a disaster besides Kwity and Dayo, and Dayo is no guarantee in his own right.

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Granson was a Reich guy. He was pounding the table for him. Figures that someone Reich likes ends up failing in the NFL. Bad coach=bad judge of talent.  Makes Ballard look bad draft-wise and he doesn't deserve that. Maybe Ballard shouldn't let Reich have any say in the WRs or TEs we take. Seems most of them fail in the NFL besides Pittman so far.

 

Reich is no talent evaluator. Sorry, but he has no idea what he's doing except offering random advice based on his preference. Let the scouts and Ballard do their job. The 2021 draft is already looking like a disaster besides Kwity and Dayo, and Dayo is no guarantee in his own right.

Wow.

If we let Reich go today and the rest of the league could replace their Head Coach with Reich with no repercussions, he would immediately upgrade at least 20 of the other 31 NFL teams.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Chucklez said:

Wow.

If we let Reich go today and the rest of the league could replace their Head Coach with Reich with no repercussions, he would immediately upgrade at least 20 of the other 31 NFL teams.

That's your opinion, and I would do it in a heartbeat. He is an anchor on this team. I thought and still think it was a mistake not to fire him last year. I live in Colorado and see how Nathaniel Hackett is on the Broncos, and how fun and energetic he is, how the players react to him, and how intelligent he is, and wish he was our coach on the Colts. 

 

I'm sorry, but I feel nothing but hate towards Reich because I know how bad he is with the slow starts, the losses in Jax, the boneheaded mistakes, the stubbornness he has, and the fact that he's just not a very good coach, and the fact that no one believes me and won't believe me until he gets fired, and I have to hope this team can be good enough to win despite his limitations as a coach. 

 

So frustrating.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

That's your opinion, and I would do it in a heartbeat. He is an anchor on this team. I thought and still think it was a mistake not to fire him last year. I live in Colorado and see how Nathaniel Hackett is on the Broncos, and how fun and energetic he is, how the players react to him, and how intelligent he is, and wish he was our coach on the Colts. 

 

I'm sorry, but I feel nothing but hate towards Reich because I know how bad he is with the slow starts, the losses in Jax, the boneheaded mistakes, the stubbornness he has, and the fact that he's just not a very good coach, and the fact that no one believes me and won't believe me until he gets fired, and I have to hope this team can be good enough to win despite his limitations as a coach. 

 

So frustrating.

Lets see how he does with Matt Ryan, if we for some odd reason start slow this year or miss the playoffs I will agree with you. Carson Wentz just wasn't the answer. Now if we want to be upset with Frank, he was the main reason why Wentz got traded here IMO. I think Frank thought that he could transform Wentz, it didn't happen. Might be the best thing that has ever happened to us that we lost to Jacks. I like Matt Ryan a lot better than Wentz. Ryan has that Rivers feel to me as in, we are in good hands at QB. Rivers and Ryan both meet that criteria of being top 25 of all-time. I am not sure Wentz even makes my top 100 of all-time. I have done many top 50 lists of all-time, Wentz isn't top 50 anyway.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Lets see how he does with Matt Ryan, if we for some odd reason start slow this year or miss the playoffs I will agree with you. Carson Wentz just wasn't the answer. Now if we want to be upset with Frank, he was the main reason why Wentz got traded here IMO. I think Frank thought that he could transform Wentz, it didn't happen. Might be the best thing that has ever happened to us that we lost to Jacks. I like Matt Ryan a lot better than Wentz. Ryan has that Rivers feel to me as in, we are in good hands at QB. Rivers and Ryan both meet that criteria of being top 25 of all-time. I am not sure Wentz even makes my top 100 of all-time. I have done many top 50 lists of all-time, Wentz isn't top 50 anyway.

Fair enough. The issue with Matt Ryan is that he's 37. We probably have two years with him. That means a two-year window to win the SB or in all likelyhood, we are rebuilding at the QB position unless another band-aid QB comes along after Ryan retires or becomes a FA. 

 

We may be good with Matt Ryan for two years, he may be top 25 all-time, the issue is that he's done none of that with us. We have two years with him, and we need to strike gold. I don't feel like we can do that with Reich at coach. I like this team and think it's top 10 in the league, but by history, I feel like we'll start slow, lose in Jax, and it'll come down to the final week or two whether we make the playoffs.

 

It should come easy by now in this division, and for some reason it still isn't. There has to be blame placed somewhere, and I think it's fair to put that on Reich. Can't give it to Ballard when he does what he does. Plenty of scapegoats for Reich in the coordinators and position coaches. Time to step up or get fired this year.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Fair enough. The issue with Matt Ryan is that he's 37. We probably have two years with him. That means a two-year window to win the SB or in all likelyhood, we are rebuilding at the QB position unless another band-aid QB comes along after Ryan retires or becomes a FA. 

 

We may be good with Matt Ryan for two years, he may be top 25 all-time, the issue is that he's done none of that with us. We have two years with him, and we need to strike gold. I don't feel like we can do that with Reich at coach. I like this team and think it's top 10 in the league, but by history, I feel like we'll start slow, lose in Jax, and it'll come down to the final week or two whether we make the playoffs.

 

It should come easy by now in this division, and for some reason it still isn't. There has to be blame placed somewhere, and I think it's fair to put that on Reich. Can't give it to Ballard when he does what he does. Plenty of scapegoats for Reich in the coordinators and position coaches. Time to step up or get fired this year.

As of now I do think we win the division and win at least 1 playoff game. A SB win would be ballsy to predict. It could happen. Cincy made it last year and had the Rams on the ropes. I think Frank will do well with Ryan at QB. It will be like 2018 with Luck and 2020 with Rivers but with Ryan we may actually make a legit SB run. He is 37 but is 100% healthy. IMO I don't think Luck was 100% healthy all season in 2018, he was playing through pain - just my opinion but Luck still had a great year. Rivers was 39 and on his last leg in 2020, still good but his arm wasn't like it was when he was 35 for example. Ryan to me looks healthy and sharp. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Jared Cisneros said:

The 2021 draft is already looking like a disaster besides Kwity and Dayo, and Dayo is no guarantee in his own right.

Still too early to tell on the 2021 draft.  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Sometimes it is the luck of the draw too. It depends on what division you play in. If we were in the AFC West that would be rough. I still think we would be above .500 but I can see all 4 teams in that division being above .500. Raiders are good and I can see them being like 9-8 or 10-7 and finishing last. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

33 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

That's your opinion, and I would do it in a heartbeat. He is an anchor on this team. 

 

I'm sorry, but I feel nothing but hate towards Reich because I know how bad he is with the slow starts, the losses in Jax, the boneheaded mistakes, the stubbornness he has, and the fact that he's just not a very good coach, 

 

So frustrating.

I somewhat agree in that I think he needs to give up the play calling because he cannot coach the game as a whole when he does.  As the head coach, you need to have the ability to focus on all aspects of the game to some point.  

 

I do think he is a good coach in most ways and I am not really embarrassed to have him as the Colts HC.   He blew it with Wentz big time and proved he couldn't control his QB and refused to sit him for choosing whatever plays he wanted instead of heading the HC.  

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Myles said:

I somewhat agree in that I think he needs to give up the play calling because he cannot coach the game as a whole when he does.  As the head coach, you need to have the ability to focus on all aspects of the game to some point.  

 

I do think he is a good coach in most ways and I am not really embarrassed to have him as the Colts HC.   He blew it with Wentz big time and proved he couldn't control his QB and refused to sit him for choosing whatever plays he wanted instead of heading the HC.  

Good post. He did blow it with Wentz and Frank does have his head scratching moments but overall he is top 15 in the league, JMO. I would rather have him than Chuck. By the way I liked Chuck as a person but he was average at best as a coach, players loved him though.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Jared Cisneros said:

That's your opinion, and I would do it in a heartbeat. He is an anchor on this team. I thought and still think it was a mistake not to fire him last year. I live in Colorado and see how Nathaniel Hackett is on the Broncos, and how fun and energetic he is, how the players react to him, and how intelligent he is, and wish he was our coach on the Colts. 

 

I'm sorry, but I feel nothing but hate towards Reich because I know how bad he is with the slow starts, the losses in Jax, the boneheaded mistakes, the stubbornness he has, and the fact that he's just not a very good coach, and the fact that no one believes me and won't believe me until he gets fired, and I have to hope this team can be good enough to win despite his limitations as a coach. 

 

So frustrating.

I actually agree with you on Reich, which I know is an unpopular take on this board. I have always thought Reich is the one holding this team back. He was the one pounding on the table for Wentz as well which set this team back a year. I get so annoyed living in Nashville and having to listen to dumb Titans fans who blame Ballard and think he is overrated, when they aren't seeing that Reich is mainly to blame. 

 

Reich is a very good QB coach and a very personable and likable guy, but he is not a very good NFL head coach or offensive coordinator. 

23 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Good post. He did blow it with Wentz and Frank does have his head scratching moments but overall he is top 15 in the league, JMO. I would rather have him than Chuck. By the way I liked Chuck as a person but he was average at best as a coach, players loved him though.

That's not saying much saying he is better than Pagano. Pagano was a train wreck as a HC. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

36 minutes ago, BProland85 said:

I actually agree with you on Reich, which I know is an unpopular take on this board. I have always thought Reich is the one holding this team back. He was the one pounding on the table for Wentz as well which set this team back a year. I get so annoyed living in Nashville and having to listen to dumb Titans fans who blame Ballard and think he is overrated, when they aren't seeing that Reich is mainly to blame. 

 

Reich is a very good QB coach and a very personable and likable guy, but he is not a very good NFL head coach or offensive coordinator. 

That's not saying much saying he is better than Pagano. Pagano was a train wreck as a HC. 

I can the same thing about Mike Vrabel that Colts fans say about Frank. Vrabel has been craptastic in the playoffs the last 2 years, although I do think Tannehill has been the main problem, having said that how was it Franks fault that Wentz took a dump at Jacksonville. Bill Walsh could've been our coach in that game it would not of mattered. It is about QB play #1, then the coach is #2 obviously. If you are a coach but you don't have a top 10ish QB in the league than you will rarely win anything big. Exceptions = 2000 Ravens with Dilfer because they had the best team of all-time lmao , Joe Flacco was arguably top 10 in his prime = top 10 in 2012, and in 2017 Nick Foles was good, he proved that in 2018 as well. Hell with Andrew Luck at QB I could've put the ol head set on and gave you Colts fans 11 wins a year when he was healthy. Frank has not had any stability at the QB position. Matt Ryan will be his cure finally, JMO.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

42 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I can the same thing about Mike Vrabel that Colts fans say about Frank. Vrabel has been craptastic in the playoffs the last 2 years, although I do think Tannehill has been the main problem, having said that how was it Franks fault that Wentz took a dump at Jacksonville. Bill Walsh could've been our coach in that game it would not of mattered. It is about QB play #1, then the coach is #2 obviously. If you are a coach but you don't have a top 10ish QB in the league than you will rarely win anything big. Exceptions = 2000 Ravens with Dilfer because they had the best team of all-time lmao , Joe Flacco was arguably top 10 in his prime = top 10 in 2012, and in 2017 Nick Foles was good, he proved that in 2018 as well. Hell with Andrew Luck at QB I could've put the ol head set on and gave you Colts fans 11 wins a year when he was healthy. Frank has not had any stability at the QB position. Matt Ryan will be his cure finally, JMO.

Vrabel has been bad in the playoffs the last two years, but he won the division both years, and got the no1 seed last year without Derrick Henry most of the year. That deserves some respect. 

 

Reich hasn't had QB stability the last 4 (now 5 years), but only one of those years did he have someone he probably thought wasn't a good QB. 2018: Luck was really good the year before he retired. 2019: I'll give you this one, Brissett was terrible for the most part, and the Colts were caught off guard with Lucks retirement. 2020: Reich had chemistry with Rivers. 2021: Reich had Chemistry with Wentz as well, and hurt us draft-wise by pounding the table for him. 2022: Matt Ryan is another 10-15 ranked QB like Rivers and Wentz were at that point. 

 

4 out of 5 years, Reich has had good QBs that he either liked or worked with before. Don't forget Nick Foles, who Ballard signed for him as the backup this year, and could start if Ryan struggles because of his ties with Reich (wouldn't put it past him). The only mulligan I give Reich is 2019 with Brissett. Every other year he's had a solid QB, and/or a QB that he's wanted on this team.

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Myles said:

Wouldn't those be the same.   Drafting a player who is a bad fit IS a bad pick.  

I do agree that the NFL really isn't a great fit for Gransons college abilities.   I was not excited at all with the pick.  I want bigger TE's.   He's young, so maybe he will evolve to be a good part of the offense.  

Granson had bobbles on his college tape, and he measured at 6'1".  Not sure what Ballard saw that elevated him over other TE prospects.  

 

And Charlie Kolar and Austin Allen both are over 6"5" but have great hands and neither required a 3rd round pick like Woods.  

 

If the TE's don't inspire confidence, I expect them to not get much action during a game.

  • Confused 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Vrabel has been bad in the playoffs the last two years, but he won the division both years, and got the no1 seed last year without Derrick Henry most of the year. That deserves some respect. 

 

Reich hasn't had QB stability the last 4 (now 5 years), but only one of those years did he have someone he probably thought wasn't a good QB. 2018: Luck was really good the year before he retired. 2019: I'll give you this one, Brissett was terrible for the most part, and the Colts were caught off guard with Lucks retirement. 2020: Reich had chemistry with Rivers. 2021: Reich had Chemistry with Wentz as well, and hurt us draft-wise by pounding the table for him. 2022: Matt Ryan is another 10-15 ranked QB like Rivers and Wentz were at that point. 

 

4 out of 5 years, Reich has had good QBs that he either liked or worked with before. Don't forget Nick Foles, who Ballard signed for him as the backup this year, and could start if Ryan struggles because of his ties with Reich (wouldn't put it past him). The only mulligan I give Reich is 2019 with Brissett. Every other year he's had a solid QB, and/or a QB that he's wanted on this team.

If you take out 2019, Frank's record is 30-19. That is good actually. I don't think Wentz is good though, is he above average. Like Tannehill or Hurts for example. He was better than average but I never felt at peace with him at QB. He won me over a few times but then would screw us over by blowing games by missing wide open WR's (2nd Tennessee game just playing reckless, TY against the Raiders, or laying an egg in Jacks). When we had Rivers I felt good from the beginning and we won 11 games. Matt Ryan will get us 11 if not 12, book it. The Simpsons GIF by KiwiGo (KGO)- people will being seeing this Gif at least 11 times lmao 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Even in 2019, I thought Frank did a decent job. JB was 7-7 as a starter when he finished games. We ended up 7-9 but was still in the playoff hunt through 10 games at 6-4. Hoyer stunk, not many coaches can get around their game plan with a QB like that to win. Had JB not got injured at Pitt and played against the Dolphins, Frank could've easily been 9-7 in 2019.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Vrabel has been bad in the playoffs the last two years, but he won the division both years, and got the no1 seed last year without Derrick Henry most of the year. That deserves some respect. 

 

Reich hasn't had QB stability the last 4 (now 5 years), but only one of those years did he have someone he probably thought wasn't a good QB. 2018: Luck was really good the year before he retired. 2019: I'll give you this one, Brissett was terrible for the most part, and the Colts were caught off guard with Lucks retirement. 2020: Reich had chemistry with Rivers. 2021: Reich had Chemistry with Wentz as well, and hurt us draft-wise by pounding the table for him. 2022: Matt Ryan is another 10-15 ranked QB like Rivers and Wentz were at that point. 

 

4 out of 5 years, Reich has had good QBs that he either liked or worked with before. Don't forget Nick Foles, who Ballard signed for him as the backup this year, and could start if Ryan struggles because of his ties with Reich (wouldn't put it past him). The only mulligan I give Reich is 2019 with Brissett. Every other year he's had a solid QB, and/or a QB that he's wanted on this team.

 

 The real mulligan IS that Reich did what he did with a VERY YOUNG, INCOMPLETE Team. Our 2018 players are just Beginning to hit their Primes, and though we have a number of 2019 and 2020 players we are counting on to be very productive, we will need some good (for rookies) play to make us a COMPLETE Team. Frank hasn't had a good down the seam TE YET. 

  So NOW, Frank will have very close to all the elements to build a High Caliber Offense. Those Rookie TE's will need to get good, soon, very soon.

  I'm Pumped Big TIME about our New Triple R RAZER Offense.

 Reich, Ryan, Reggie will have us dissecting defenses.

  We're gonna hit them in the gut, and Frank now has the players to slice them up on all 3 levels in the passing game. It will be extraordinary!!
   

  Hopefully Then, maybe squirrely season will be over for some.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Smonroe said:


I’m sure you heard the story about when Reggie was a rookie and at one of the first practices he dropped a few balls.  Peyton looked over at the coaches and said “I though you said this guy was good?”

 

Sometimes it takes guys a minute to get the feel of someone new throwing to them.  Time will tell.  

Yup. Like I said, some guys need time and click, others simply continue to struggle.

Hoping he's got a good hands coach lol.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Myles said:

Wouldn't those be the same.   Drafting a player who is a bad fit IS a bad pick.  

I do agree that the NFL really isn't a great fit for Gransons college abilities.   I was not excited at all with the pick.  I want bigger TE's.   He's young, so maybe he will evolve to be a good part of the offense.  

 

I do like smaller slot/HB/move-TE types, so long as they can catch and are productive in gimmick type stuff. To me, it's simply a big, thick, bully type slot. 

 

So I can understand the pick a bit. And while it's a gamble, one might expect a guy who was able to be a vertical threat, might be able run simple seam stuff.

 

The pick never excited me either, and I feared Reich would try to force stuff to him like he did with Burton. The hands history would have definitely caused a bit of pause for me though. But like I said, dice roll. So far looks like snake eyes, but still early. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/9/2022 at 8:32 PM, EastStreet said:

 

Today was shorter on media than previous days, so this will be abbreviated.....

Shouldn't see much from the vets until training camp starts in 6ish weeks. Rooks/UDFAs IIRC will come back in two weeks though, so maybe more then.

Overall, coverage was super weak this year. Especially the lack of vid. 

 

  • Buzz items
    • Kenny still a non-participant. More articles out there about him wanting to paid as an elite CB, not a slot CB.
    • Reich and Leonard seem to be on different pages about his injury lol.
    • Khari still out on an excused absence for a personal reason
  • QB - Ryan looking good again. Said he'll get together with WRs in the next 5-6 weeks. Hope we'll get some vid. 
  • WRs - more good press on Campbell and Pittman, and some good mentions for Dulin, Harris, and Patmon.
    • I think overwhelmingly, Parris has got the most good press throughout OTAs and MC. This group could be very nice if he can stay healthy. 
    • Reich said he's very happy with the group, and it'll be up to Chris if he wants to make a move to bring in another
  • TEs - more chat about hands issues with Granson and Woods
  • RBs - didn't really see anything about RBs today
  • CBs - more great press on Rodgers. More PBUs
  • LB - not much said, but Glasgow cut. Domann getting some good pub.
  • DL - I missed this yesterday, but Bradley talked about Paye, saying he's got the flexibility to play both Big End and LEO. In other words, tweener DE in his system (not tweener 3T/DE, although he could line up inside on pass downs). 
  • MISC - IU FB HC (Allen) was there, along with Ball State coaches. 

Wow, no mention of Pierce anywhere, very concerning.  I thought it was funny how Reich responded to a question about Pierce the other day saying, It’s a very competitive group,” Reich said. “But yeah, we’re definitely pushing him. We’re definitely pushing him and want him to compete to get in the mix and get on the field.”  as if it's almost like he's watching on the sideline.  I'm sure he's getting reps but probably not with known starters, but probably not showing out thus far. Yipes!!!  In fact, as far as this entire Topic so far, I'm the first one to mention Pierce, our first pick in the 2022 draft.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, chrisfarley said:

Wow, no mention of Pierce anywhere, very concerning.  I thought it was funny how Reich responded to a question about Pierce the other day saying, It’s a very competitive group,” Reich said. “But yeah, we’re definitely pushing him. We’re definitely pushing him and want him to compete to get in the mix and get on the field.”  as if it's almost like he's watching on the sideline.  I'm sure he's getting reps but probably not with known starters, but probably not showing out thus far. Yipes!!!

 

He got some times with the 1s, but spent most of his time with the 2s. 

I don't think it's concerning at all though.

 

IMO, folks generally expect too much from young guys early in camp.

His route use was limited in college, and he simply has a lot to learn/develop, and that's on top of all the new scheme stuff. 

 

He'll need some time, and that's OK. My only hope is that if he's not able to polish the full route tree by start of season, they'll at least allow him to run 9s, which we all know he did very well at in college. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/9/2022 at 9:48 PM, AustinnKaine said:

Granson shaping up as a bad pick? 

He was picked in the 4th round, so it's not like he was expected to be a super-star.

He probably won't make the 53.

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/10/2022 at 9:33 AM, Jared Cisneros said:

Granson was a Reich guy. He was pounding the table for him. Figures that someone Reich likes ends up failing in the NFL. Bad coach=bad judge of talent.  Makes Ballard look bad draft-wise and he doesn't deserve that. Maybe Ballard shouldn't let Reich have any say in the WRs or TEs we take. Seems most of them fail in the NFL besides Pittman so far.

 

Reich is no talent evaluator. Sorry, but he has no idea what he's doing except offering random advice based on his preference. Let the scouts and Ballard do their job. The 2021 draft is already looking like a disaster besides Kwity and Dayo, and Dayo is no guarantee in his own right.

 

I agree. 

The GM should be the only one who decides who to draft. The coaches job is to coach the players on the roster assembled by the GM, or RAZ.. :D

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/10/2022 at 9:25 PM, chrisfarley said:

Wow, no mention of Pierce anywhere, very concerning.  I thought it was funny how Reich responded to a question about Pierce the other day saying, It’s a very competitive group,” Reich said. “But yeah, we’re definitely pushing him. We’re definitely pushing him and want him to compete to get in the mix and get on the field.”  as if it's almost like he's watching on the sideline.  I'm sure he's getting reps but probably not with known starters, but probably not showing out thus far. Yipes!!!  In fact, as far as this entire Topic so far, I'm the first one to mention Pierce, our first pick in the 2022 draft.

I recall JA'mar Chase having the dropsies last year in camp and the experts criticizing the Bengals saying they should have drafted oline. How'd that work out?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Thread of the Week

  • Topics

  • Posts

    • I see Taylors overall numbers dipping this year.... partly because it is difficult to replicate what he did last season, and partly because we are (hopefully) going to be a more balanced offense this year. Hines was inexplicably ignored last season, despite having just signed a new deal. He will be used this season and it is being shown in TC. He is being used as a true hybrid player getting snaps at WR and RB, I think he will thrive with Matt Ryan. Taylor is still unequivocally the #1 RB, but i just see him dipping down in production (which is probably a good thing really, we dont want to run him into the ground). He will still get his carries, just not pushing 25-30 a game!  I see Hines being a 500 yards rushing and 700 yards receiving type of threat for us this year. Puts him squarely at about 30 ish yards per game rushing and 40 ish yards receiving. 
    • Im really intrigued about Ogletree.  If he turns out to be really good then that makes a really crowded TE room.
    • id agree with you if this same type of punishment was also coming for Snyder and Kraft, but me and you both know it’s not.  So the nfl doing this, it comes off more as hypocritical than correcting a mistake.     i agree, you are ABSOLUTELY right about Watson, by why doesn’t the nfl have the same focus on their owners?  I get it, they’re his bosses, but does that exclude sexual assault and other stuff these owners have been accused of?  I mean an owner just got caught tampering, trying to illegally gain an advantage, and also the nfl admitted that he mentioned paying his own coach to lose.  What was his punishment, couple of months, 1 million dollars, and a draft pick.  But Calvin Ridley gets suspended for an entire year for gambling $1500?  Wow
    • I'd be shocked if we kept three QBs on the 53
    • On any given team, the 3rd and 4th string guys are fighting for table scraps.      But this year on the Colts, it should be even harder to take care of our 3/4.    Because both our 1st and 2nd string are new to the team and the playbook.   So both Ryan and Foles need every rep they can get.   They won’t be giving up any of theirs.      So Ehlinger and Coan are going to have to make the best of a difficult situation.   It may not be fair, but in carefully scripted practices there's only so much to go around. 
  • Members

    • CardiacColts

      CardiacColts 220

      Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • jmac_48

      jmac_48 465

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • Behle

      Behle 64

      New Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • krunk

      krunk 5,602

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • Onthefence

      Onthefence 0

      Rookie
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • cdgacoltsfan

      cdgacoltsfan 2,011

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
×
×
  • Create New...