Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Early 2023 Colts Mock drafts

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Alright, I think we're in an interesting place where we won't win a lot more games since our OL is so bad right now, but we won't have a shot at one of the potential franchise QBs (especially since I'm very anti-Levis).   So, I say we add a great element to the OL and give Ehlinger a real shot, while drafting a clone in the mid-rounds to give us some kind of viable option in the future (without having to change the O much):

1) Paris Johnson, OT, Ohio State

2) Andre Carter II, DE, Army

3) Kris Abrams-Draine, CB, Missouri

4) Sam Hartman, QB, Wake Forest

5) Javon Foster, OT, Missouri

5) Darius Robinson, DT, Missouri

7) Mohamed Ibrahim, RB, Minnesota

7) Jackson Mitchell, LB, U-Conn

Gonna watch a lot more Missouri games after this, since I took three in a four-pick run in the mid rounds...

14. Paris Johnson Jr.
OT Ohio State

45. Olumuyiwa Fashanu
OT Penn State

79. DeMarvion Overshown
LB Texas

113. Hendon Hooker
QB Tennessee

145. Chris Rodriguez Jr.
RB Kentucky

194. DeMarcco Hellams
S Alabama

209.Riley Moss
CB Iowa

214. Doug Nester
OG West Virginia

If Paris Johnson is there when we pick, gotta to pick him.  Double up on OT, either Raimann develops or is depth behind these first 2 picks.  Overshown is all over the field, more depth on strong unit.  QB to battle for starting position.  Rest of picks were best available and positions of need either for starter or depth.

20 hours ago, IndyColtsFan411 said:

14. Paris Johnson Jr.
OT Ohio State

45. Olumuyiwa Fashanu
OT Penn State

79. DeMarvion Overshown
LB Texas

113. Hendon Hooker
QB Tennessee

145. Chris Rodriguez Jr.
RB Kentucky

194. DeMarcco Hellams
S Alabama

209.Riley Moss
CB Iowa

214. Doug Nester
OG West Virginia

If Paris Johnson is there when we pick, gotta to pick him.  Double up on OT, either Raimann develops or is depth behind these first 2 picks.  Overshown is all over the field, more depth on strong unit.  QB to battle for starting position.  Rest of picks were best available and positions of need either for starter or depth.

Hooker isn’t going that late. I know that’s just what the mock draft machine had happening but it’s unrealistic. If the Colts don’t get Hooker with their first round pick, they’ll have to trade back up into the 1st to get him.

New mock draft idea, as of Nov 11

-- Scenario: Colts play badly enough to rate the 5th pick overall, behind Houston, Carolina, Detroit, and New Orleans (which goes to Philly).  The media frenzy continues to cool off regarding Will Levis, after his recent meh performances, and he falls down the draft board a little.  Houston and Carolina take QB's Stroud and Young 1 & 2.  Detroit goes for DE Will Anderson.  Now, Seattle has 4 picks in the first 2 rounds.  They have the ability to trade up.  So we trade down with Seattle, swapping 1st round picks, and taking their mid-2nd round pick.

Our draft:

1/12 (from Seattle) -- Will Levis, QB, Kentucky (drafttek rated 17)

2/37 -- Broderick Jones, LT, Georgia (drafttek rated 35)

2/44 (from Seattle) -- Tony Grimes, CB, North Carolina (drafttek rated 47)

3/69 -- Luke Wypler, OC/OG, Ohio State (drafttek rated 67)

In this draft, we address both quarterback and left tackle, while finding help at both interior OL and defensive back (if/when Stephon Gilmore decides to leave).

On 11/11/2022 at 11:58 AM, John Hammonds said:

-- Scenario: Colts play badly enough to rate the 5th pick overall, behind Houston, Carolina, Detroit, and New Orleans (which goes to Philly).  The media frenzy continues to cool off regarding Will Levis, after his recent meh performances, and he falls down the draft board a little.  Houston and Carolina take QB's Stroud and Young 1 & 2.  Detroit goes for DE Will Anderson.  Now, Seattle has 4 picks in the first 2 rounds.  They have the ability to trade up.  So we trade down with Seattle, swapping 1st round picks, and taking their mid-2nd round pick.

Our draft:

In this draft, we address both quarterback and left tackle, while finding help at both interior OL and defensive back (if/when Stephon Gilmore decides to leave).

Season 7 Reaction GIF by The Office

My expectations are we win at least two more games and finish in the mix between picks 15-20.  Below is my running list of top players that have been called out by PFF as top weekly performers "College football Week 0-11: PFF Team of the Week and player awards:"

Round 1

RG O’Cyrus Torrence (Florida) - no shocker as have mentioned Torrence last year when he was with Louisiana.  In 2020 he posted a 90.0 PB grade which was 3rd best among FBS guards.  He didn't allow a single sack or hit across 713 pass-block snaps.  In 2021 PFF over-all grade 90.5  with an 82.6 PBLK and 91.4 RBLK grades.  This year he already made Weeks 1 and 2 PFF TOW.

TE Michael Mayer (ND) - Mayer is another strong need and a legitimate option earning PFF TOW 4, 6 and 8 honors

Round 2

WLB Ivan Pace Jr (Cincy x’fer from Miami OH) - PFF TOW 4 honors + PFF Defensive POW allowed -2 yards in coverage and recorded two passing stops on 06/24/22 – After 4 weeks Pace was the highest graded off-ball LB in FBS. PFF TOW 5 honors

CB Mekhi Garner (LSU x'fer from Louisiana) Since 2020 he has earned an 83.5 coverage grade vs Group 5.  Still need to review how he does vs SEC competition.

SS Christopher Smith (Georgia) - Listed originally as a FS, Smith was on my early watch list as a player known for INTs and PDs.  Georgia has him listed this year as a SS.  Earned PFF TOW 1 honors and after first couple of weeks PFF listed Smith's grade 90.2 DEF, 62.7 RDEF, and 90.0 COV.

Round 3 (via Commanders) DEN g IND 2022 Draft trade

MLB Jack Campbell (Iowa) - Earned PFF TOW 8 honors and has history creating TOs

WR-F Jacob Cowing (UTEP) Earned Weeks 1 and 5 PFF TOW honors

LT Anton Harrison (OU) - PFF Week 7 TOW honors

LG Cooper Beebe (KSU) - In 2020 Beebe took a few snaps at LG but mostly RT / 2021 mostly LT some RG, and this season playing LG and earned PFF TOW 6 honors

C Luke Wypler (OSU) - Earned Weeks 4 and 9 PFF TOW honors

4-3 LDE Derek Parish (Houston) - Earned PFF Week 2 TOW honors

Round 4

Edge/OLB Jacoby Windmon (Michigan St) - Windmon is currently suspended due to the Michigan tunnel altercation.  After the first couple weeks Windmon had PFF grades of 90.8 DEF, 80.0 RDEF, 81.5 PRUSH, 92.5 COV.  In Week 7 Windmon turned in a 91.1 PFF career grade for an off-ball LB logging 23 coverage snaps and not allowing a single catch.

CB Steven Gilmore (Marshall) - has the height we covet/may need to add weight but capable of INTs and PDs earning PFF Week 2 TOW honors

Round 5

RT Darnell Wright (Tenn) - future swing tackle who earned PFF Week 9 TOW honors

Round 6 – TB g IND (G Stuard) / IND g BUF (Z Moss/N Hines Cond P188-ish)

LT Javon Foster (Missouri) - depth play who earned PFF Week 1 TOW honors

Round 7

3-4 WLB Anfernee Orji (Vanderbilt)

Round 7 – IND g TB (G Stuard)

FS Khoury Bethley (Arizona St x’fer from Hawaii)

I hate to disagree with fellow Colts, fans, but if we want to win.......  We HAVE to draft a QB

If the QB you want, isnt going to make it to you, you MOVE UP to get him.....  even giving up future draft capitol

We cant win with an OL / DL only drafts

With no young QB on the roster to develop, you are doomed AVERAGE

I

6 hours ago, OhioColt said:

My expectations are we win at least two more games and finish in the mix between picks 15-20.  Below is my running list of top players that have been called out by PFF as top weekly performers "College football Week 0-11: PFF Team of the Week and player awards:"

Round 1

RG O’Cyrus Torrence (Florida) - no shocker as have mentioned Torrence last year when he was with Louisiana.  In 2020 he posted a 90.0 PB grade which was 3rd best among FBS guards.  He didn't allow a single sack or hit across 713 pass-block snaps.  In 2021 PFF over-all grade 90.5  with an 82.6 PBLK and 91.4 RBLK grades.  This year he already made Weeks 1 and 2 PFF TOW.

TE Michael Mayer (ND) - Mayer is another strong need and a legitimate option earning PFF TOW 4, 6 and 8 honors

Round 2

WLB Ivan Pace Jr (Cincy x’fer from Miami OH) - PFF TOW 4 honors + PFF Defensive POW allowed -2 yards in coverage and recorded two passing stops on 06/24/22 – After 4 weeks Pace was the highest graded off-ball LB in FBS. PFF TOW 5 honors

CB Mekhi Garner (LSU x'fer from Louisiana) Since 2020 he has earned an 83.5 coverage grade vs Group 5.  Still need to review how he does vs SEC competition.

SS Christopher Smith (Georgia) - Listed originally as a FS, Smith was on my early watch list as a player known for INTs and PDs.  Georgia has him listed this year as a SS.  Earned PFF TOW 1 honors and after first couple of weeks PFF listed Smith's grade 90.2 DEF, 62.7 RDEF, and 90.0 COV.

Round 3 (via Commanders) DEN g IND 2022 Draft trade

MLB Jack Campbell (Iowa) - Earned PFF TOW 8 honors and has history creating TOs

WR-F Jacob Cowing (UTEP) Earned Weeks 1 and 5 PFF TOW honors

LT Anton Harrison (OU) - PFF Week 7 TOW honors

LG Cooper Beebe (KSU) - In 2020 Beebe took a few snaps at LG but mostly RT / 2021 mostly LT some RG, and this season playing LG and earned PFF TOW 6 honors

C Luke Wypler (OSU) - Earned Weeks 4 and 9 PFF TOW honors

4-3 LDE Derek Parish (Houston) - Earned PFF Week 2 TOW honors

Round 4

Edge/OLB Jacoby Windmon (Michigan St) - Windmon is currently suspended due to the Michigan tunnel altercation.  After the first couple weeks Windmon had PFF grades of 90.8 DEF, 80.0 RDEF, 81.5 PRUSH, 92.5 COV.  In Week 7 Windmon turned in a 91.1 PFF career grade for an off-ball LB logging 23 coverage snaps and not allowing a single catch.

CB Steven Gilmore (Marshall) - has the height we covet/may need to add weight but capable of INTs and PDs earning PFF Week 2 TOW honors

Round 5

RT Darnell Wright (Tenn) - future swing tackle who earned PFF Week 9 TOW honors

Round 6 – TB g IND (G Stuard) / IND g BUF (Z Moss/N Hines Cond P188-ish)

LT Javon Foster (Missouri) - depth play who earned PFF Week 1 TOW honors

Round 7

3-4 WLB Anfernee Orji (Vanderbilt)

Round 7 – IND g TB (G Stuard)

FS Khoury Bethley (Arizona St x’fer from Hawaii)

No QB?

On 11/11/2022 at 10:58 AM, John Hammonds said:

Our draft:

After watching some more games this year, I am totally NOT sold on Levis

All the tools, but no ability to process

Watch the Vandy game.....

On 11/8/2022 at 9:01 PM, IndyColtsFan411 said:

14. Paris Johnson Jr.
OT Ohio State

45. Olumuyiwa Fashanu
OT Penn State

79. DeMarvion Overshown
LB Texas

113. Hendon Hooker
QB Tennessee

145. Chris Rodriguez Jr.
RB Kentucky

194. DeMarcco Hellams
S Alabama

209.Riley Moss
CB Iowa

214. Doug Nester
OG West Virginia

Hooker will be gone in mid first to mid 2nd round

I would use our first round pick on him

On 9/29/2022 at 8:14 AM, Archer said:

I got:

1) Myles Murphy, DL, Clemson

2) Broderick Jones, OL, Georgia

2) Rasheed Rice, WR, SMU

4) Garvon Dexter, DT, Florida

5) Owen Pappoe, LB, Auburn

7) Grayson McCall, QB, Coastal Carolina

7) Micah Abraham, CB, Marshall

We end Ryan experiment after one, and run with Ehlinger and Foles.  If the kid can’t get it done, we should be in position to draft a QB the next year.  Keep the WRs coming - they take a year or two to develop.  Murphy is a Ballard, long-armed type, and Jones can fill in where needed on the line (like RG or RT).

I know this is a bit dated, but I imagine that you wouldnt leave the team to Ehlinger and Foles....

We REALLY need a QB to develop

3 hours ago, MikeCurtis said:

I know this is a bit dated, but I imagine that you wouldnt leave the team to Ehlinger and Foles....

We REALLY need a QB to develop

Well, that one was basically on the assumption that we’d make the playoffs and have Ryan another year.  I’m not sure what my QB assumptions would be now - I’m waiting to see if we can turn things around on O.  In theory, if the OL turns the corner and we’re winning again, I wouldn’t rule out Ryan again in 2023.  While that’s a big IF, I’d still probably hit the QB position 3rd round or earlier, I suppose…

5 hours ago, MikeCurtis said:

After watching some more games this year, I am totally NOT sold on Levis

All the tools, but no ability to process

Watch the Vandy game.....

I totally hear ya.  Vandy was a black eye.  More than a black eye.

He needs to play well against Georgia, even in a loss, to salvage the situation.  Otherwise, he's just Jacob Eason 2.0.  A big time arm, but unable to play the position at this level.

2 hours ago, John Hammonds said:

I totally hear ya.  Vandy was a black eye.  More than a black eye.

He needs to play well against Georgia, even in a loss, to salvage the situation.  Otherwise, he's just Jacob Eason 2.0.  A big time arm, but unable to play the position at this level.

I wouldnt touch him for the first 3 rounds

I also see Jacob Eason

On 11/16/2022 at 12:00 PM, MikeCurtis said:

I hate to disagree with fellow Colts, fans, but if we want to win.......  We HAVE to draft a QB

If the QB you want, isnt going to make it to you, you MOVE UP to get him.....  even giving up future draft capitol

We cant win with an OL / DL only drafts

With no young QB on the roster to develop, you are doomed AVERAGE

I

No QB?

Sorry MC but really haven't done much homework on QBs throughout the years especially when I was hoping the Colts would draft some dude named Ryan Leaf over a meh Peyton Manning.  Half joking of course but hey its rare for the Colts to carry three QBs and two with much respectable careers as is already.  Agree at some point the Club does need to address QB but it's just not my forte.  Living in Ohio and bad history of drafting Ohio State kids am shying away from CJ Stroud.  That's about as much research and will get criticized for saying that much as is.  Suppose Derek Carr could be a short-term FA target next season...

In the end guess I should start going back over the years and look primarily at PFF weekly honor roll and see what QBs would qualify and make the original draft board like the rest of the players mentioned in my posts.

I did a PFN mock and this would be my dream mock scenario as a die hard Colts fan.

I dealt the 14th overall pick to Dallas for their 25th, 88th, and 2024 1st. Then I saw that DT Jalen Carter was still available at the 17th overall spot so I traded back up to select him. This DT rotation would be nasty with Buck, Grover, and Jalen. We need our Jeff Simmons type player at DT to hopefully unleash this pass rush and run defense.

Round 2 I got OT Matthew Bergeron from Syracuse.  

Round 4 I got DE Zach Harrison from Ohio State. Another talented body upfront to make this DL potentially elite. 

With three 5th round picks I landed OC Alex Forsyth from Oregon, QB Tanner McKee from Stanford, and CB Garrett Williams from Syracuse. Gets us help at all positions of need and I think the value in the 2023 QB draft class is in its depth. McKee is a good QB to land later in the draft and try him out. If it doesn’t work out, I was able to acquire extra draft picks in the 2024 class to go up and get a top QB. 

-Extra draft picks I was able to acquire for 2024…

Dallas’ 1st

New Orleans’ 3rd and 5th

LA Chargers’ 4th

• 3 weeks later...

Sitting at pick #9 for now:

Used Pro Football Network Mock including their descriptions of the players drafted. I went with talent first, then massive size on OL, then depth for rest of team.

Trade:

Raiders Received:                                          Colts Received:

Pick 9 - Paris Johnson Jr.                              Pick 12 & 46

12. Noah Sewell

LB Oregon

Height: 6-3 | Weight: 251 | RAS: TBD

There is no other place to start this section than with Sewell’s sheer physicality. His size is a conduit for a devasting ability to come downhill, stack and shed blocks, and fill gaps in the run game. Stored power in his hands, a muscular upper body, and a thickly built lower half render Sewell an increasingly rare LB prospect that can take on offensive linemen and win consistently. If he gets a free shot at the QB or ball carrier, the refs might as well blow the play dead.

40. Hendon Hooker

QB Tennessee

Height: 6-4 | Weight: 218 | RAS: TBD

Hooker’s arm elasticity and strength, combined with his athleticism and size, grant him exciting creation capacity. With his size, he can slip through sacks and stay on his feet, and he has the athleticism to create beyond that.

The Tennessee QB has exceptional short area burst, as well as solid speed when he hits open space. Additionally, he shows off impressive short-area twitch and foot speed for his size. Hooker can levy quick cuts and make single defenders miss and can immediately generate momentum in congestion.

46. Matthew Bergeron

OT Syracuse

Height: 6-5 | Weight: 327 | RAS: TBD

Along with his strength, Bergeron also brings the grip strength to gather and neutralize power rushes. And with his core strength, he assumes control in anchor struggles and redirects defenders out of plays. The Syracuse OT can latch and maintain anchors on the move. Using his anchor and leg drive, he plows defenders off the line and paves open running lanes. He can also flip his hips to adjust angles.

81. Dawand Jones

OT Ohio State

Height: 6-8 | Weight: 359 | RAS: TBD

Jones’ overwhelming size has some drawbacks, but he’s not a liability from a mobility standpoint. He has good foot speed for his size and can quickly transfer weight on shuffles and carry rushers to the apex. He also flashes good burst off the snap and can loom through gaps with decent speed as a lateral mover.

Jones brings solid initial quickness out of his stance. He gets decent depth with his kick and can mirror rushers off the snap with his base. Additionally, the Ohio State OT flashes impressive cylindrical twitch and energy in his movement in short ranges. He can load up potential energy very well in a phone booth.

108. Mazi Smith

Height: 6-3 | Weight: 326 | RAS: TBD

At 6’3″, 337 pounds, Smith has a massive, naturally well-leveraged frame. With his size, he can shrug off chip blocks and absorb double-teams.

Of course, it’s well-advertised that Smith isn’t just incredibly big. He’s very athletic, too. That much was clear when he was the top freak on Feldman’s Freaks list in the summer. Per Feldman, Smith has a 33″ vertical jump, a 9’4.5″ broad jump, and an absurd 6.95 three-cone time. He’s also logged 22 reps of 325 pounds on the bench press. At the NFL Combine, the weight utilized is 225.DT Michigan

140. Dontayvion Wicks

WR Virginia

Height: 6-1 | Weight: 205 | RAS: TBD

Wicks’ linear athleticism stands out and is magnified by his long-strider mold. But Wicks’ agility and twitch are even more exciting. Wicks has the high-end cylindrical twitch to suddenly cut stems and snap around on routes. He’s a loose-hipped, spry lateral athlete with great burst and freedom on his cuts. The Virginia WR is a snappy, amped-up, high-energy short-area mover who can vary his stride lengths with speed, precision, and control. With his loose hips and twitch, Wicks can pinch tight angles off stems upfield while sustaining acceleration through transitions.

194. Jaylon Carlies

S Missouri

Height: 6-3 | Weight: 215 | RAS: TBD

Carlies is listed at 6’3″, 219 pounds, and he’s every bit that big on tape. Not only is Carlies’ frame incredibly long, but it has great mass and density. His overall size grants him constant mismatch and disruption potential, but his athleticism is the second piece to the puzzle.

Carlies is an explosive athlete with great burst out of his stance. He’s able to explode downhill with exceptional long-strider acceleration and seal off outside runs. Moreover, he carries an intense closing burst into contact and can accelerate quickly on the attack. Carlies gears up very quickly when he has a lane to open his strides and churn his legs. He also has the explosiveness to quickly gear up and make up ground when tracking WRs in deep coverage.

204. Jakorian Bennett

CB Maryland

Height: 5-11 | Weight: 195 | RAS: TBD

Need depth at CB

214. Hunter Luepke

RB North Dakota State

Height: 6-1 | Weight: 236 | RAS: TBD

This could be our goal line TD machine or lead FB. 

1) Tanner McGee, QB, Stanford

2) John Michael Schmitz, OL, Minnesota

3) Puli Tuipulotu, 3T, USC

4) Jordan Morgan,, OT, Arizona

5) Jartavius "Quan" Martin, CB/S, Illinois

6) Sam Hartman, QB, Wake Forrest

7) Eyabi Okie, EDGE, Michigan

7) Jackson Mitchell, LB, Connecticut

The next coach (probably Philly's OC) is going to know that he has to develop young QBs.  Sam Ehlinger will be the old man in an absurdly young QB room.  Hopefully, Jeff Saturday stays on coaching the OL, enticed by an assistant HC designation and two of the first four draft picks...

I know mock drafts are random and not accurate most of the time, but I tried another one thru PFN's site.  I traded back mulitiple times (I know hard to predict and unlikely, but.......just go with it).  I loaded up with draft picks for next draft (Marvin Harrison lottery) while getting picks I am happy with.  What do you think?

35. Hendon Hooker, QB Tennessee (potential franchise QB)
 38. Matthew Bergeron, OT Syracuse (massive OT w/ experience)
 90. Ivan Pace Jr., LB Cincinnati (most likely lose at least 1 LB in offseason)
138. Olusegun Oluwatimi, OC Michigan (backup to Kelly, if not replace him)
194. Rakim Jarrett, WR Maryland (great speed and shifty WR)
202. Hunter Luepke, RB North Dakota State (extra blocker in run game and for pass blocking until OL develops)
214. Cameron Mitchell, CB Northwestern (DB depth)
2024 ATL 1st
2024 NYG 1st
2024 NO 1st
2024 ATL 2nd
2024 NYG 3rd
2024 CIN 5th
2024 LAR 7th

4 - 1st round draft picks next year, 2 - 2nd, 3rd, 5th, & 7th round draft picks next year.  

On 6/8/2022 at 8:12 PM, NewColtsFan said:

I think the 2023 draft will look the opposite of the 22 draft.    I think our Day 1 and Day 2 picks will all be defense with all our Day 3 picks being offense.   So, reversed. 

And since I’ve read that the DE class is supposed to be strong and deep, and I’m guessing Ngokoue moves on to another team….   I think we do this…. 

R1.  DE

R2.  CB.    Wash pick from Wentz deal

R2.   DB    Our pick 

R3.   Traded for Safety Cross

R4.    WR

R5.    OL

R6.    RB

R7.     OL  

You clearly have no idea what the heck is going on in 2023 do you? I seriously hope you're just trolling. Ha.

On 12/14/2022 at 12:36 PM, IndyColtsFan411 said:

I know mock drafts are random and not accurate most of the time, but I tried another one thru PFN's site.  I traded back mulitiple times (I know hard to predict and unlikely, but.......just go with it).  I loaded up with draft picks for next draft (Marvin Harrison lottery) while getting picks I am happy with.  What do you think?

35. Hendon Hooker, QB Tennessee (potential franchise QB)
 38. Matthew Bergeron, OT Syracuse (massive OT w/ experience)
 90. Ivan Pace Jr., LB Cincinnati (most likely lose at least 1 LB in offseason)
138. Olusegun Oluwatimi, OC Michigan (backup to Kelly, if not replace him)
194. Rakim Jarrett, WR Maryland (great speed and shifty WR)
202. Hunter Luepke, RB North Dakota State (extra blocker in run game and for pass blocking until OL develops)
214. Cameron Mitchell, CB Northwestern (DB depth)
2024 ATL 1st
2024 NYG 1st
2024 NO 1st
2024 ATL 2nd
2024 NYG 3rd
2024 CIN 5th
2024 LAR 7th

4 - 1st round draft picks next year, 2 - 2nd, 3rd, 5th, & 7th round draft picks next year.  

With that many 1st round picks, Colts must be able to pick both of the top 2 QBs of 2024 class, and trade Hooker for a 2025 1st round pick, just in case those 2 QBs don't pan out.

Or trade one of the top QBs for multiple picks, the possibilities are endless. 

43 minutes ago, IndyColtsFan411 said:

Starting at pick #6 on this mock.  No trades. LMK what you think.

6. Quentin Johnston WR TCU
37. Hendon Hooker QB Tennessee
84. Dawand Jones OT Ohio State
105. Mazi Smith DT Michigan
137. DJ Johnson EDGE Oregon
194. Ja'quan Sheppard CB Cincinnati
201. DeMarcco Hellams S Alabama
214. Jadon Haselwood WR Arkansas

Honestly I like Johnston. Dude is a playmaker and is huge. I am really liking McKee from Stanford a lot. I just feel like he could become solid but he has no mobility. 

I just don’t see us going WR at 6 because the bigger needs we have. But other than that this is a solid draft. 

16 hours ago, DaColts85 said:

Honestly I like Johnston. Dude is a playmaker and is huge. I am really liking McKee from Stanford a lot. I just feel like he could become solid but he has no mobility. 

I just don’t see us going WR at 6 because the bigger needs we have. But other than that this is a solid draft. 

I agree 100% with DaColts85 on this.  McKee is the guy I've centered on, as he's got everything but elite NFL mobility/running ability.  The fact that you could trade down a ways and still get him in the 1st could net us some picks.  I also agree on the WRs.  If you draft WRs to develop, you should develop them rather than drafting replacements the next year or two.  I say we re-sign Campbell and give the next QB a young, improving WR corps.  Use our picks on other positions of need.  

PFF mock draft simulator, no trades and BPA for each round:

Rd 1/6 Will Levis, QB Kentucky

Rd 2/37 Tyree Wilson, Edge Texas Tech

Rd 3/84 Keondre Coburn, DL Texas

Rd 4/101 Jalin Hyatt, WR Tennessee

Rd 5/133 Cade Stover, TE 

Ohio State

Rd 6/165 Javon Foster, OT 

Missouri

Rd 7/197 Ventrell Miller, LB

Florida

On 12/20/2022 at 5:59 PM, IndyColtsFan411 said:

Starting at pick #6 on this mock.  No trades. LMK what you think.

6. Quentin Johnston WR TCU
37. Hendon Hooker QB Tennessee
84. Dawand Jones OT Ohio State
105. Mazi Smith DT Michigan
137. DJ Johnson EDGE Oregon
194. Ja'quan Sheppard CB Cincinnati
201. DeMarcco Hellams S Alabama
214. Jadon Haselwood WR Arkansas

This would be an awesome draft haul

19 hours ago, joecolts said:

PFF mock draft simulator, no trades and BPA for each round:

Rd 1/6 Will Levis, QB Kentucky

Rd 2/37 Tyree Wilson, Edge Texas Tech

Rd 3/84 Keondre Coburn, DL Texas

Rd 4/101 Jalin Hyatt, WR Tennessee

Rd 5/133 Cade Stover, TE 

Ohio State

Rd 6/165 Javon Foster, OT 

Missouri

Rd 7/197 Ventrell Miller, LB

Florida

Idk about Hyatt falling into the 4th round. That doesn’t seem realistic. Also, not addressing anything o line until the 6th round might cause an issue as well. Did you see moves happening in FA to help this? Just curious myself anyways. 

4 hours ago, DaColts85 said:

Idk about Hyatt falling into the 4th round. That doesn’t seem realistic. Also, not addressing anything o line until the 6th round might cause an issue as well. Did you see moves happening in FA to help this? Just curious myself anyways. 

This was just a simulated draft and selecting best player available when order came up.  Has nothing to do with free agency.  Just a simulation.  

• 2 weeks later...

LMK what you guys think.  I think I covered most of the Colts needs in this mock.

8. Jalen Carter, DT Georgia

His combination of high-level athletic ability, incredible power and violence, and a pass-rush toolbox already brimming with moves makes Carter a clear early-first-round prospect. He’s an explosive playmaker and a viable threat in all phases of defense. QBs beware this fall!

36. Hendon Hooker, QB Tennessee

Hooker’s arm elasticity and strength, combined with his athleticism and size, grant him exciting creation capacity. With his size, he can slip through sacks and stay on his feet, and he has the athleticism to create beyond that.

The Tennessee QB has exceptional short-area burst, as well as solid speed when he hits open space. Additionally, he shows off impressive short-area twitch and foot speed for his size. Hooker can levy quick cuts and make single defenders miss, and can immediately generate momentum in congestion.

38. Matthew Bergeron, OT Syracuse

Along with his strength, Bergeron also brings the grip strength to gather and neutralize power rushes. And with his core strength, he assumes control in anchor struggles and redirects defenders out of plays. The Syracuse OT can latch and maintain anchors on the move. Using his anchor and leg drive, he plows defenders off the line and paves open running lanes. He can also flip his hips to adjust angles.

47. Felix Anudike-Uzomah, EDGE Kansas State

On his 6ft 4in frame, he looks the part of an NFL pass rusher. He’s high cut, with his long legs allowing him to eat up ground in pursuit. Meanwhile, the 2023 NFL Draft prospect appears to be blessed with excellent length.

Those long legs give Anudike-Uzomah the basis for an impressive athletic profile. He possesses good play speed, with his long strides building a head of steam as he makes his way to the ball carrier. There are multiple examples on tape of Anudike-Uzomah chasing down opponents downfield to make a play. Furthermore, they act as a catalyst for off-snap explosion. The Kansas State EDGE routinely beats his man to the punch as a result.

77. Rome Odunze, WR Washington

Odunze has great linear explosiveness, but it’s not quite an elite part of his game. What makes his explosive athleticism so much more appealing, however, is the control with which he maximizes it (and the agility he has to complement it). Odunze possesses tremendous throttle control and freedom as an athlete. He can freely gear up and down and manipulate space, and he has enough suddenness to snap back and forth as a route runner in tight spaces, tugging defenders off-balance.

For his size, Odunze is an incredibly spry lateral athlete who can stack urgent cuts to slice through tight spaces. He has the ankle flexion to accelerate around tight corners and pressure angles against DBs.

107. Tyler Steen, OT Alabama

As a pulling blocker, Steen has above-average range. He’s shown to reach the A-gap and turn upfield, with the explosiveness to quickly traverse the B-gap and drive power laterally. It also helps that Steen’s physical build naturally imbues power as a crucial part of his game.

Steen’s combined length and frame density grant him great raw power capacity, and the Alabama OT can leverage momentum into additional power by channeling with his length. Steen has the power to blast back defenders when he fully loads and channels effectively. He’s also shown he can lock out defenders in run defense with heavy upper-body torque. Furthermore, Steen uses rotational power from his hips to seal pass rushers outside the apex.

136. Joe Tippmann, OC Wisconsin

Tippmann has rare initial quickness for a 6’6″ lineman and gets off the snap extremely quickly. He can accelerate upfield when tracking linebackers in space, and he has the athleticism to square up linebackers in the open field and surge into contact. He also shows exceptional lateral burst. As a zone blocker, he can quickly flip his hips off the snap and rush toward the sideline.

Tippmann’s initial athleticism is most appealing, but the Wisconsin C has good utility in space as well. Most notably, he shows great range as a pulling blocker. He’s able to track linebackers from hash to hash and seal off outside runs. He also showcases above-average change of direction for his size. He can use ankle flexion to turn upfield through gaps while sustaining acceleration into blocks.

166. Garrett Williams, CB Syracuse

One of the first things that stands out on Williams’ tape is his athleticism. The Syracuse CB is an explosive athlete out of breaks and brings searing closing speed. He can hit a blistering second gear when closing on plays and accelerates very quickly out of his stance.

Gearing up with little delay, Williams can explode out of transitions and match WRs out of stems. His burst allows him to close ground quickly in recovery, as well as make plays in pursuit. In run support, he can suddenly throttle up to get past blockers and seal off runs.

193. Hunter Luepke, RB North Dakota State

I want the Colts to use this guy as a FB.  He has RB skills in a FB's body.  Think of an extra blocker to free up JT!  He's my man crush for this draft (not sure why, just is)

200. Payton Wilson, LB NC State

2024 LV 5th

Trades:

Received:                                                            Received:

Lions                                                                   Colts

Pick 5 - C.J. Stroud                                              Pick 6

Pick 47

LV Raiders                                                          Colts

Pick 6 - Kelee Ringo                                           Pick 8

Pick 38

2024 LV 5th

Cardinals                                                            Colts

Pick 104 - Nehemiah Pritchett                           Pick 107

Pick 214 - Doug Nester                                     Pick 166

5 hours ago, IndyColtsFan411 said:

LMK what you guys think.  I think I covered most of the Colts needs in this mock.

8. Jalen Carter, DT Georgia

His combination of high-level athletic ability, incredible power and violence, and a pass-rush toolbox already brimming with moves makes Carter a clear early-first-round prospect. He’s an explosive playmaker and a viable threat in all phases of defense. QBs beware this fall!

36. Hendon Hooker, QB Tennessee

The Tennessee QB has exceptional short-area burst, as well as solid speed when he hits open space. Additionally, he shows off impressive short-area twitch and foot speed for his size. Hooker can levy quick cuts and make single defenders miss, and can immediately generate momentum in congestion.

38. Matthew Bergeron, OT Syracuse

47. Felix Anudike-Uzomah, EDGE Kansas State

On his 6ft 4in frame, he looks the part of an NFL pass rusher. He’s high cut, with his long legs allowing him to eat up ground in pursuit. Meanwhile, the 2023 NFL Draft prospect appears to be blessed with excellent length.

Those long legs give Anudike-Uzomah the basis for an impressive athletic profile. He possesses good play speed, with his long strides building a head of steam as he makes his way to the ball carrier. There are multiple examples on tape of Anudike-Uzomah chasing down opponents downfield to make a play. Furthermore, they act as a catalyst for off-snap explosion. The Kansas State EDGE routinely beats his man to the punch as a result.

77. Rome Odunze, WR Washington

Odunze has great linear explosiveness, but it’s not quite an elite part of his game. What makes his explosive athleticism so much more appealing, however, is the control with which he maximizes it (and the agility he has to complement it). Odunze possesses tremendous throttle control and freedom as an athlete. He can freely gear up and down and manipulate space, and he has enough suddenness to snap back and forth as a route runner in tight spaces, tugging defenders off-balance.

For his size, Odunze is an incredibly spry lateral athlete who can stack urgent cuts to slice through tight spaces. He has the ankle flexion to accelerate around tight corners and pressure angles against DBs.

107. Tyler Steen, OT Alabama

As a pulling blocker, Steen has above-average range. He’s shown to reach the A-gap and turn upfield, with the explosiveness to quickly traverse the B-gap and drive power laterally. It also helps that Steen’s physical build naturally imbues power as a crucial part of his game.

Steen’s combined length and frame density grant him great raw power capacity, and the Alabama OT can leverage momentum into additional power by channeling with his length. Steen has the power to blast back defenders when he fully loads and channels effectively. He’s also shown he can lock out defenders in run defense with heavy upper-body torque. Furthermore, Steen uses rotational power from his hips to seal pass rushers outside the apex.

136. Joe Tippmann, OC Wisconsin

Tippmann has rare initial quickness for a 6’6″ lineman and gets off the snap extremely quickly. He can accelerate upfield when tracking linebackers in space, and he has the athleticism to square up linebackers in the open field and surge into contact. He also shows exceptional lateral burst. As a zone blocker, he can quickly flip his hips off the snap and rush toward the sideline.

Tippmann’s initial athleticism is most appealing, but the Wisconsin C has good utility in space as well. Most notably, he shows great range as a pulling blocker. He’s able to track linebackers from hash to hash and seal off outside runs. He also showcases above-average change of direction for his size. He can use ankle flexion to turn upfield through gaps while sustaining acceleration into blocks.

166. Garrett Williams, CB Syracuse

One of the first things that stands out on Williams’ tape is his athleticism. The Syracuse CB is an explosive athlete out of breaks and brings searing closing speed. He can hit a blistering second gear when closing on plays and accelerates very quickly out of his stance.

Gearing up with little delay, Williams can explode out of transitions and match WRs out of stems. His burst allows him to close ground quickly in recovery, as well as make plays in pursuit. In run support, he can suddenly throttle up to get past blockers and seal off runs.

193. Hunter Luepke, RB North Dakota State

I want the Colts to use this guy as a FB.  He has RB skills in a FB's body.  Think of an extra blocker to free up JT!  He's my man crush for this draft (not sure why, just is)

200. Payton Wilson, LB NC State

2024 LV 5th

Trades:

Pick 47

LV Raiders                                                          Colts

Pick 6 - Kelee Ringo                                           Pick 8

Pick 38

2024 LV 5th

Cardinals                                                            Colts

Pick 104 - Nehemiah Pritchett                           Pick 107

Pick 214 - Doug Nester                                     Pick 166

If Stroud is still there at pick 5, I think it would be hard to pass him up. 

18 hours ago, IndyColtsFan411 said:

Trades:

Pick 47

We trade #5 & #47 to receive #6!?! What a steal by Lions.

Now I’m here:

Sign: Mike Kafka (Head Coach), Gardner Minshew, Justin Coleman (CB, Seahawks)

Priority re-signs: Ngakoue, Campbell, Speed

Axe/Let walk: Ryan, Foles, Okereke, Lewis

Draft:

1) C.J. Stroud, QB, Ohio St.  Or Young.  Or Levis.

2) John Michael Schmitz, IOL, Minn.  New RG.

3) Will McDonald, IV, EDGE, Iowa St.

4) Ryan Hayes, OT, Mich.

5) Nehemiah Pritchett, CB, Auburn

6) Isaiah McGuire, DL, Mo.  3T.

7) Quintrell Johnson, S, Memphis

7) Dontae Manning, CB, Ore.

20 hours ago, Archer said:

Now I’m here:

Sign: Mike Kafka (Head Coach), Gardner Minshew, Justin Coleman (CB, Seahawks)

Priority re-signs: Ngakoue, Campbell, Speed

Axe/Let walk: Ryan, Foles, Okereke, Lewis

Draft:

1) C.J. Stroud, QB, Ohio St.  Or Young.  Or Levis.

2) John Michael Schmitz, IOL, Minn.  New RG.

3) Will McDonald, IV, EDGE, Iowa St.

4) Ryan Hayes, OT, Mich.

5) Nehemiah Pritchett, CB, Auburn

6) Isaiah McGuire, DL, Mo.  3T.

7) Quintrell Johnson, S, Memphis

7) Dontae Manning, CB, Ore.

Do you think the Colts need 2 CBs?  I might switch one of those for an athletic LB.  Also not sure about Minshew, but otherwise like this mock.

13 hours ago, IndyColtsFan411 said:

Do you think the Colts need 2 CBs?  I might switch one of those for an athletic LB.  Also not sure about Minshew, but otherwise like this mock.

Yeah, at the end of the draft, I can be on board with about any position.  I just kinda like the backup LBs we already have: Domann, Rhyne, Stuard, and now McGrone.  I’d rather add a couple of CBs to increase the chances of a hit, especially since Gilmore is old and Moore played like dookie much of the year.  I have some LBs I like later in the draft too, though…

Would like to ask you folks what you think of CB Emmanuel Forbes from Miss St.

Looks like he's a little on the slim side, and his 4.59 40 time listed on NFL Draft Buzz is nothing to celebrate.

However, he's got 6 INT's and 10 passes defended.  4 of those 6 INT's are pick-6's.  Seriously.

He's a willing tackler, but run defense isn't his strong suite.  He's a shutdown corner with big play turnover potential.

Right now, Tankathon has him listed at #43, or, roughly where we would pick in the 2nd round.

Has anyone been looking at him, and know more about him?

https://www.nfldraftbuzz.com/Player/Emmanuel-Forbes-CB-MississippiState

Archived