Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

2022 FIFA World Cup

Most know the US is in, but their Group (B) just firmed up with Wales beating Ukraine for the final spot this week. 

So Group B looks like this

• USA (ranked 15th)
  • England (5th)
  • Wales (18th)
  • Iran (21st)

We play Wales, then England, then finish up with Iran. 

Not saying B is the group of death or anything, but it is arguably the toughest top to bottom. 

Out of 32 teams and 8 groups, not having a team ranked in the 25-32 space is a bit harsh.

Some great storylines for the group though.

• US vs England - out of all the WC countries, I dislike England and France most lol... this will likely be one of the most globally watched games in group play. 
  • Wales vs England - not sure these two UK teams have every met in the WC. And it will be their last group stage game. Probably a great time to be in a UK pub. 
  • US vs Iran - two geo political enemies, and it's our last group stage game. 

Drama will be dialed up to 11... 

Hate that the WC has been delayed this year due to weather of the host country. It'll be competing with NFL and CFB.

I think the Dutch squad could be sleepers after missing 2018 and placing 3rd in 2014. If Goalie Jasper Cillessen plays to form they will be dangerous. Memphis Depay will be the key to putting points on the board. They have gone 12 games since their last loss.

Rather easy grouping with Qatar and Ecuador both very beatable and Senegal while not a push over shouldnt be the threat many other squads are facing group wise so a group win should have them situated to make a deep run.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/7/2022 at 9:21 PM, EastStreet said:

Most know the US is in, but their Group (B) just firmed up with Wales beating Ukraine for the final spot this week. 

So Group B looks like this

• USA (ranked 15th)
  • England (5th)
  • Wales (18th)
  • Iran (21st)

We play Wales, then England, then finish up with Iran. 

Not saying B is the group of death or anything, but it is arguably the toughest top to bottom. 

Out of 32 teams and 8 groups, not having a team ranked in the 25-32 space is a bit harsh.

Some great storylines for the group though.

• US vs England - out of all the WC countries, I dislike England and France most lol... this will likely be one of the most globally watched games in group play. 
  • Wales vs England - not sure these two UK teams have every met in the WC. And it will be their last group stage game. Probably a great time to be in a UK pub. 
  • US vs Iran - two geo political enemies, and it's our last group stage game. 

Drama will be dialed up to 11... 

Hate that the WC has been delayed this year due to weather of the host country. It'll be competing with NFL and CFB.

I disagree.

Group G and E are the toughest, IMO, and Group G has many valid teams based on their resume.

Brazil, Cameroon, Serbia, Switzerland in Group G

Germany, Spain, Japan, Costa Rica in Group E

Lots of pesky teams in those groups. I would rank those higher than the USA group. Serbia went through UEFA qualification unbeaten and it is no easy task. Switzerland also went through their qualification campaign without losing a single game, finishing top of a group that included Euro 2021 winners Italy.

If anything, the European giants like Belgium and France got into easier groups while Germany has a tough one paired along with Spain and a defensively sound Costa Rica and pesky Japan, IMO. 

2 hours ago, chad72 said:

I disagree.

Group G and E are the toughest, IMO, and Group G has many valid teams based on their resume.

Brazil, Cameroon, Serbia, Switzerland in Group G

Germany, Spain, Japan, Costa Rica in Group E

Lots of pesky teams in those groups. I would rank those higher than the USA group. Serbia went through UEFA qualification unbeaten and it is no easy task. Switzerland also went through their qualification campaign without losing a single game, finishing top of a group that included Euro 2021 winners Italy.

If anything, the European giants like Belgium and France got into easier groups while Germany has a tough one paired along with Spain and a defensively sound Costa Rica and pesky Japan, IMO. 

Like I said, didn't call it the group of death.

But if you're going by basic FIFA ranks, B is better.

Ranks and group averages below.

England 5, US 15, Iran 21, Wales 18           14.75

Brazil 1, Cameroon 37, Serbia 25, Switzerland 14 in Group G        19.25

Germany 12, Spain 7, Japan 23, Costa Rica 31 in Group E          18.25

On G, Brazil is great as we all know. Switzerland peaked and played well. We'll see if that continues. Serbia and Cameroon will be door matts.

On E, Germany is down right now. They along with Italy are my fav non-US teams, so I hope they get back to form. Spain should be good, but they are a bit in decline too from previous Euros and WCs. Japan and CR just aren't good. I'd say CR is better than 31 maybe, but they've fallen off too. 

• 1 month later...