Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

2022 FIFA World Cup

Most know the US is in, but their Group (B) just firmed up with Wales beating Ukraine for the final spot this week. 

So Group B looks like this

• USA (ranked 15th)
  • England (5th)
  • Wales (18th)
  • Iran (21st)

We play Wales, then England, then finish up with Iran. 

Not saying B is the group of death or anything, but it is arguably the toughest top to bottom. 

Out of 32 teams and 8 groups, not having a team ranked in the 25-32 space is a bit harsh.

Some great storylines for the group though.

• US vs England - out of all the WC countries, I dislike England and France most lol... this will likely be one of the most globally watched games in group play. 
  • Wales vs England - not sure these two UK teams have every met in the WC. And it will be their last group stage game. Probably a great time to be in a UK pub. 
  • US vs Iran - two geo political enemies, and it's our last group stage game. 

Drama will be dialed up to 11... 

Hate that the WC has been delayed this year due to weather of the host country. It'll be competing with NFL and CFB.

I think the Dutch squad could be sleepers after missing 2018 and placing 3rd in 2014. If Goalie Jasper Cillessen plays to form they will be dangerous. Memphis Depay will be the key to putting points on the board. They have gone 12 games since their last loss.

Rather easy grouping with Qatar and Ecuador both very beatable and Senegal while not a push over shouldnt be the threat many other squads are facing group wise so a group win should have them situated to make a deep run.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/7/2022 at 9:21 PM, EastStreet said:

Most know the US is in, but their Group (B) just firmed up with Wales beating Ukraine for the final spot this week. 

So Group B looks like this

• USA (ranked 15th)
  • England (5th)
  • Wales (18th)
  • Iran (21st)

We play Wales, then England, then finish up with Iran. 

Not saying B is the group of death or anything, but it is arguably the toughest top to bottom. 

Out of 32 teams and 8 groups, not having a team ranked in the 25-32 space is a bit harsh.

Some great storylines for the group though.

• US vs England - out of all the WC countries, I dislike England and France most lol... this will likely be one of the most globally watched games in group play. 
  • Wales vs England - not sure these two UK teams have every met in the WC. And it will be their last group stage game. Probably a great time to be in a UK pub. 
  • US vs Iran - two geo political enemies, and it's our last group stage game. 

Drama will be dialed up to 11... 

Hate that the WC has been delayed this year due to weather of the host country. It'll be competing with NFL and CFB.

I disagree.

Group G and E are the toughest, IMO, and Group G has many valid teams based on their resume.

Brazil, Cameroon, Serbia, Switzerland in Group G

Germany, Spain, Japan, Costa Rica in Group E

Lots of pesky teams in those groups. I would rank those higher than the USA group. Serbia went through UEFA qualification unbeaten and it is no easy task. Switzerland also went through their qualification campaign without losing a single game, finishing top of a group that included Euro 2021 winners Italy.

If anything, the European giants like Belgium and France got into easier groups while Germany has a tough one paired along with Spain and a defensively sound Costa Rica and pesky Japan, IMO. 

2 hours ago, chad72 said:

I disagree.

Group G and E are the toughest, IMO, and Group G has many valid teams based on their resume.

Brazil, Cameroon, Serbia, Switzerland in Group G

Germany, Spain, Japan, Costa Rica in Group E

Lots of pesky teams in those groups. I would rank those higher than the USA group. Serbia went through UEFA qualification unbeaten and it is no easy task. Switzerland also went through their qualification campaign without losing a single game, finishing top of a group that included Euro 2021 winners Italy.

If anything, the European giants like Belgium and France got into easier groups while Germany has a tough one paired along with Spain and a defensively sound Costa Rica and pesky Japan, IMO. 

Like I said, didn't call it the group of death.

But if you're going by basic FIFA ranks, B is better.

Ranks and group averages below.

England 5, US 15, Iran 21, Wales 18           14.75

Brazil 1, Cameroon 37, Serbia 25, Switzerland 14 in Group G        19.25

Germany 12, Spain 7, Japan 23, Costa Rica 31 in Group E          18.25

On G, Brazil is great as we all know. Switzerland peaked and played well. We'll see if that continues. Serbia and Cameroon will be door matts.

On E, Germany is down right now. They along with Italy are my fav non-US teams, so I hope they get back to form. Spain should be good, but they are a bit in decline too from previous Euros and WCs. Japan and CR just aren't good. I'd say CR is better than 31 maybe, but they've fallen off too. 

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Fun WC so far...

Qatar reverses themselves, and outlaws booze at games....

Ecuador beats Qatar, and then chants "we want beer" lol....

Saudi beats Argentina....

Hate US tied Wales, but I do like Wales... US just needs beat Iran by a lot, and at least tie England... 

On 11/23/2022 at 7:50 AM, Myles said:

I usually watch quite a bit, but haven't had a chance this year yet.  The weekend is coming so I will find some time.

https://www.fifa.com/fifaplus/en/tournaments/mens/worldcup/qatar2022

This is the teams and how they are ranked.

https://www.fifa.com/fifa-world-ranking/men?dateId=id13792

Been fun so far. The US/England match in 15 minutes... pumped!

Thank god for 2 TV setup. Hoosiers going on... 

On 11/23/2022 at 10:43 AM, chad72 said:

Qatar hosting it has reduced the charm for me, just speaking for myself.

I might watch more as the tournament gets to the knockout phase. Too much work and most games are in the middle of the day.

Time difference is a problem for most hosts... So not a Qatar problem

But, I don't like Qatar hosting. Hypocrisy... And FIFA is corrupt. 

I know some people that went (US and Euro). They have a ton of complaints. 

Just now, chad72 said:

2 goals for Iran in stoppage time, crazy. US isn’t creating good opportunities in set pieces. Must win vs Iran. Iran sent us home a while ago out of the World Cup by beating us, US better bring it.

IIRC, Wales was down to 10 men when Iran scored. 

US played great today. Agreed, we better bring it. 

I watched the whole USA/England game Friday.   I thought the USA was outplayed most of the game.  It was a game that would support the people who feel soccer is boring to watch.  I'm not one of those but I can understand their case.  

Tomorrows game is at 2pm, so I will be able to watch the 2nd half only.  

8 hours ago, Myles said:

I watched the whole USA/England game Friday.   I thought the USA was outplayed most of the game.  It was a game that would support the people who feel soccer is boring to watch.  I'm not one of those but I can understand their case.  

The offsides ruling should be changed to "just one hand and one leg should be in line with a defender" so that even a head bob doesn't get flagged for offsides.

On 11/28/2022 at 7:21 AM, Myles said:

Scratch that.  It was over when I got home.  For some reason I thought the games were longer.

46 minutes ago, Myles said:

Scratch that.  It was over when I got home.  For some reason I thought the games were longer.

I got off work at 3, went home and watched the last half hour or so of that nerve-racking game! It was 1-0 us and Iran was flopping all over like NBA players trying to draw fouls, and get free kicks and it seemed like forever knowing that just 1 goal by them would've eliminated us after our 2nd goal was disallowed due to the offsides call. 

And we're done, 3-1 Netherlands. We trailed the entire game, first 1-0, then they added another goal just before halftime, we got our goal early in the 2nd Half to trail 2-1, and then the Netherlands added the dagger of their 3rd goal late in the 2nd Half and that was it for us.

On 6/12/2022 at 1:30 PM, holeymoley99 said:

I think the Dutch squad could be sleepers after missing 2018 and placing 3rd in 2014. If Goalie Jasper Cillessen plays to form they will be dangerous. Memphis Depay will be the key to putting points on the board. They have gone 12 games since their last loss.

Rather easy grouping with Qatar and Ecuador both very beatable and Senegal while not a push over shouldnt be the threat many other squads are facing group wise so a group win should have them situated to make a deep run.

Netherlands now up to 16 without a loss,was surprised Jasper was left off the squad but seems he wasnt fitting team first mold. Andries Noppert has come out of nowhere and he has impressed,

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/12/02/sports/world-cup/usa-netherlands-goalkeepers.html

9 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Soccer has weird rules, I don't even think the Argentina guy tried to use his arm to block that.

That call was weak stuff... horrible given the situation. 

Lets go Messi!!

And yes, Mbappe is great. Hat trick is incredible.. Even with a cheap PK... 

Archived