Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

2022 OTAs: Session 2 summary (Wednesday)

EastStreet

After scanning all the articles and twitter feeds, here's the summary of Session 2. I don't know if media is allowed tomorrow or Friday, so putting this out now like I did for last week. 

• This week was the first 11 on 11. It was just slow paced, but 7 on 7 were still full speed.
  • Reminders
    • There is still no contact.
    • Still voluntary this week. 
    • Next week turns mandatory.
  • The elephant in the room: Things escalated with Moore this week. He attended last week, but didn't participate. He didn't attend this week so far at all. Next week is mandatory, so things could escalate yes again, which would start fines IIRC.

• Starters
    • Offense:
      • QB-Matt Ryan
        • Ryan looking sharper this week, much sharper. And changing a lot of plays at the line.
      • RB-Jonathan Taylor
        • not much reported, but did catch a TD in the passing game
      • WR-Parris Campbell, WR-Michael Pittman, WR-Dezmon Patmon
        • Campbell called the star of camp so far and obviously has great chemistry with Ryan already. Everyone, make sacrifices this week to the health gods. Reich went out of his way to say he was a complete WR, and not "just a slot". Also said sentimentality because of the injuries won't get him snaps. He has to earn it. Sounds like he is. 
        • Strachan got the nod last week and Patmon got the 1st team reps this week. Patmon struggled a bit this week in his debut with the ones
      • TE-Mo Alie-Cox,
        • Some of his comments on Ryan below
      • OL - LT-Matt Pryor, LG-Quenton Nelson, C-Ryan Kelly, RG-Danny Pinter, RT-Braden Smith.
    • Defense:
      • DL - DE-Kwity Paye, DT-Grover Stewart, DT-DeForest Buckner, DE-Ben Banogu,
        • Ben getting some opportunity with Ngakoue away. Hope he's making the best of it. A little surprised we haven't heard about him being shuffled to SAM
      • LB-Zaire Franklin, LB-Bobby Okereke
        • Oke moving well and looking good. Nice D on Pittman. Hope this is a better scheme fit for him and he takes a big step forward this season.
      • CB-Isaiah Rodgers, CB-Brandon Facyson, CB-Anthony Chesley.
        • Rodgers balling out. Wonder if he's getting time at slot. Good PD vs Pierce. 
        • Facyson getting good pub so far as well, and we know Gus likes his upside
        • Chesley played well last season in spot duty at times, and is my prediction to get that last CB spot.
        • With Rodgers and Facyson looking good, hope that gives Moore something to think about... Didn't even attend this week... Seems things are escalating. 
      • S-Will Redmond, S-Nick Cross
        • Nick Cross getting team 1 time!!
  •  Other
    • Offense
      • Foles taking over as 2nd team QB. INT'd by two UDFAs.... 
      • Dulin and Pierce also got time with QB1
      • Dulin getting praise, and had the best catch of the week last week. Getting mentions from Reich, and Reich has mentioned to Ballard. Bremer compared him to Pascal, but Dulin's traits and ceiling are simply higher. 
      • Pierce a little time with 1s, but mostly with 2s.
      • MAC liking Ryan. Said TEs are on high alert for the fast ball. Said Ryan is very demanding. He mentions quizzes similar to Luck, but sounds like shades of Manning and Rivers to me as well (MAC only played with AL).
      • Woods had multiple bobbles today. Had hands issues in college, and needs to work hard in that area. 
      • Fries more snaps at C, but not surprising wth Pinter at G.
    • Defense
      • Blackman ramping up. Need him back and ready! Good deal! More sacrifices to the health gods as this in injury #2. 
      • Not really worried about Leonard missing time. I don't care if he misses all OTAs lol.. keep that ankle fresh and healing. Gives the other LBs a chance gain experience. Reich said a 2nd surgery is not being discussed. 
      • I like Bradley's comment "pick that sh%t" after Rodgers had a PD vs Pierce. 
      • Gimore participated in 11/11 walkthrough, but limited
      • Ngakoue needs to finsish up with his trainer in FL and get his behind to OTAs. I know he knows Gus's system, but he needs to be bonding with his team. Has to be here next next week. 
      • Where is Khari Willis? Hasn't been seen or spoke of at all the last two weeks.... 

1 minute ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

Moore better watch out because if he demands too much and sits out he is going to give colts something to think about with Rodgers looking good.

Yup. His timing is bad in more ways than one lol.

Starting to feel this situation will get worse before it gets better. 

Ballard is in a better position than most think. We got options. 

And while I truly believe Ballard is one the more sensible and pro-player GMs, he may see this as somewhat bad timing and unreasonable from Kenny. Ballard treated Kenny very, very, well, and likely won't appreciate the situation regardless what he says publicly. 

forgot to mention in the summary...

Hines again got reps with both RBs and WRs. YES!!

JT had reps with both last week too, not sure if confirmed this week though... We do know JT caught a TD or two today, just not sure if he was out of the backfield, or on the LOS. 

4 minutes ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

Holder said he doesn’t know what’s up with Willis but he predicts he could be the odd man out and not showing up to OTA is not a good look. I know he has young twins and isn’t with the mother anymore so maybe he just wants to be with them more before football consumes his life.

Regardless of the football side of things, sure hope he's OK. He seemed like an awesome young man.

But yes, not a great time to be out for him given the new scheme, and infusion of new talent. 

from the SI summary link I posted....

Dulin looking really really smooth/polished. 

Starting to really like the thought of 

X - Pitt (we know he's proven)

Slot - Dulin (looking great and getting props from Reich)

Z - Campbell (star of camp so far)

And Pierce getting a bunch of snaps coming in as the rotational 4th. 

7 minutes ago, Professor Farnsworth said:

Thanks for these summaries and the amount of time taking to compile. Saves me the headache of doing it myself haha:thmup:

My pleasure.

I just scan all the stuff, and have a scratch pad open that I copy paste stuff that I find interesting too.

I'm gonna look at all of it anyway, so might as well spend a little time and compile.

1075 and SI summaries are good at the end of the day, and more or less do similar. 

I wish we had more vid though. 

35 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

from the SI summary link I posted....

Dulin looking really really smooth/polished. 

Starting to really like the thought of 

X - Pitt (we know he's proven)

Slot - Dulin (looking great and getting props from Reich)

Z - Campbell (star of camp so far)

And Pierce getting a bunch of snaps coming in as the rotational 4th. 

Blackmon suited up!!   That is one tough kid.  I hope he has a long career with the Colts. 

1 minute ago, AwesomeAustin said:

Blackmon suited up!!   That is one tough kid.  I hope he has a long career with the Colts. 

Quick rebound on both major injuries. That's good news indeed. But just hate the injury history on it's own. 

I think he'll end up at SS after all is said and done, which should make it easier for him returning anyway. 

I'm just glad the kid is a quick healer and tough. I think given the chance, and given good health, he could be a Pro Bowl level type SS. I'd even go as far to say he could play a hybrid type SS/NB/Star type roll vs some teams. He hits like a ton of bricks. His only true struggles has been as centerfielder, and SS would solve that. I'd really really like to see the kid allowed to blitz too. 

1 hour ago, EastStreet said:

Yup. His timing is bad in more ways than one lol.

Starting to feel this situation will get worse before it gets better. 

Ballard is in a better position than most think. We got options. 

And while I truly believe Ballard is one the more sensible and pro-player GMs, he may see this as somewhat bad timing and unreasonable from Kenny. Ballard treated Kenny very, very, well, and likely won't appreciate the situation regardless what he says publicly. 

The options thing is huge. Because it doesn’t give Kenny any leverage. They can trade Kenny and extend Rodgers after this season. Kenny doesn’t really have any leverage if he holds out. Colts would have to get another CB  if they traded him though.

1 minute ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

The options thing is huge. Because it doesn’t give Kenny any leverage. They can trade Kenny and extend Rodgers after this season. Kenny doesn’t really have any leverage if he holds out. Colts would have to get another CB  if they traded him though.

I'd hate it if he simply sat out. That would also create a hole, but without return value. 

At least with a trade we'd have cap savings, and and opportunity to get return value. 

2 hours ago, EastStreet said:

I'd hate it if he simply sat out. That would also create a hole, but without return value. 

At least with a trade we'd have cap savings, and and opportunity to get return value. 

If he holds out of TC then I hope they trade him. There are better ways to go about trying to get some more money. 

It’s been good off season. I would hate for Leonard’s ankle and Kenny’s hold out to effect this team. Reich presser today was not promising with Leonard’s ankle. 

6 minutes ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

If he holds out of TC then I hope they trade him. There are better ways to go about trying to get some more money. 

It’s been good off season. I would hate for Leonard’s ankle and Kenny’s hold out to effect this team. Reich presser today was not promising with Leonard’s ankle. 

On Kenny - I just hope whatever happens, happens sooner than later. If this bleeds into camp, that will impact the team. I doubt Ballard will let it linger that long. Per Bowen I think, the Colts position is pretty firm. Of course things could change either way. But if it doesn't get resolved in the next couple weeks, I'd OK his agent seeking a trade with adequate return value. 

On Leonard - not really worried right now. He's a vet, and Reich said there's no talk of another surgery. Not that I think things are all great, or that Reich is confident, but it's simply really early, he's a vet, and we just don't know anything. 

So now hearing buzz that Khari Willis is in a hold out situation too.

Some assumed that might be it, but personally I was hoping he wasn't.. 

He is a UFA after this season. 

Given the new scheme install, new DC, and infusion of talent at safety, I just don't see this as a good move for him. SS is even more devalued than NB lol.. 

17 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

So now hearing buzz that Khari Willis is in a hold out situation too.

Some assumed that might be it, but personally I was hoping he wasn't.. 

He is a UFA after this season. 

Given the new scheme install, new DC, and infusion of talent at safety, I just don't see this as a good move for him. SS is even more devalued than NB lol.. 

I haven’t seen that/ but wouldn’t surprise me. I never thought he would get a extension because I don’t think he will fit this scheme. Holder said he thought he could be the off man out with the moves they made at safety this off season. Probably not a smart move if he is holding out because he doesn’t have much value in a trade.

Where you see that at?

3 minutes ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

I haven’t seen that/ but wouldn’t surprise me. I never thought he would get a extension because I don’t think he will fit this scheme. Holder said he thought he could be the off man out with the moves they made at safety this off season. Probably not a smart move if he is holding out because he doesn’t have much value in a trade.

Where you see that at?

My buddy from Indy said it was suggested on the local radio. 

When Reich was asked about Khari (wasn't asked if Khari was holding out, just about his absence), he replied "it's all voluntary" just like he responded for Kenny. Had it been injury or something else, I think Reich would have replied differently. 

16 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

My buddy from Indy said it was suggested on the local radio. 

When Reich was asked about Khari (wasn't asked if Khari was holding out, just about his absence), he replied "it's all voluntary" just like he responded for Kenny. Had it been injury or something else, I think Reich would have replied differently. 

I have heard them suggesting it as if asking if he is.  There is no indication of that though.

12 minutes ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

I have heard them suggesting it as if asking if he is.  There is no indication of that though.

They've communicated the reasons (injury, prior agreement, etc) for all players except Khari. 

So given Reich's response, fairly reasonable to assume. 

If it is the case, at least he hasn't made it a public spat and I respect that. 

He's a FA after the year, so I can somewhat understand (more than I can KM's situation).

2 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

They've communicated the reasons (injury, prior agreement, etc) for all players except Khari. 

So given Reich's response, fairly reasonable to assume. 

If it is the case, at least he hasn't made it a public spat and I respect that. 

He's a FA after the year, so I can somewhat understand (more than I can KM's situation).

No I don’t think it’s a good assumption. We will find out next week. Willis hasn’t done enough to hold out.

Something Holder said about Moore is team can find him if he doesn’t show up next week. But he said if he doesn’t show up they can also decide not to do it so doesn’t get to a boiling point. 

22 minutes ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

No I don’t think it’s a good assumption. We will find out next week. Willis hasn’t done enough to hold out.

Something Holder said about Moore is team can find him if he doesn’t show up next week. But he said if he doesn’t show up they can also decide not to do it so doesn’t get to a boiling point. 

LOL... Well, I disagree. If he were injured, not reason to say "it's voluntary". If it were personal, I'd assume Reich would say the team has excused him him from OTA for personal reasons. So if not injury or personal, the reasons are very limited. 

I agree Willis hasn't been an all star, but he has been very solid in box duty. Guessing he'd be even more limited to the box in Gus's C3 scheme. Maybe not in some match looks. But, he has been a long term starter. And that's enough for a lot of players to feel their oats. 

Archived