Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Your first Colts game

Just curious and thought it would be a fun thread to to talk about the first time seeing our favorite team in person? It can be either seeing them at home or on the road. My first experience myself was at the RCA.

This was back in October 1995 against the 49ers. My dad had gotten me and my brother out of school and told us we were going on a field trip and that it would last all weekend long. Well being young kids we were just happy to get out of school lol and at that point didn't think too much on what the surprise might be. We only got a couple of hours up the road and my Dad I guess could not hold it in anymore already lol and he told us were staying the weekend in Indy and going to the Colts game against the 49ers. We both yelled out in excitement and my dad was grinning from ear to ear. As I put in my introduction post, my dad was from Indy and had a lot of family up there still, but due to a lot of different things we had not seen our team in person.

Anyway, I remember walking up to the RCA with my dad and brother in tow, wearing my Faulk jersey, and just so pumped up to get inside. Once I saw the field I was so happy I almost fell down the stairs lol. Several visits to the concession stand and screaming my voice out later, we won a tight one with a Cary Blanchard winner. Great great time.

How about y'all?

• Like 1

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/197712180clt.htm

Picture it: 1977. Colts looked great all year but stumbled late in the season (sound familiar?) and had to beat the surging Pats at home to get to the playoffs. Pats throttled them in the first half with a tough D and were up 17-3...and proceeded to take the opening 2d half kickoff ALL the way to make it 24-3. The gloom was massive. 

Then Bert Jones went to work and proceeded to pick apart the Pats and win in dramatic fashion at the end. What a game! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

September 14th, 2003 was the first game I ever attended, and it was at the RCA Dome Vs Tennessee. Witnessed four Mike Vanderjagt field goals, my first ever Peyton to Marvin TD in person, and a 75 yard pick six by Nick Harper. Was a good first game to see in person. 

• Like 2

December 27, 2009 at Lucas Oil stadium vs the Jets. This of course being the famous game where the Colts pulled all their starters in the second half and gave up the dream of a perfect season. You would think after that I would stop going but I pushed through and have been to on average 3 games a year since and knocked off over 20 stadiums in the process.

• Like 1

Sept something 1998.  Peytons first game against Dan Marino and the Dolphins at the RCA Dome.  Spent 12+/- hours riding a bus including about 4 hour layover In St. Louis at 4am.  Saw the game and got back on a bus for another 12+/- bus ride home through Chicago.  I preordered the ticket with will call pick-up.  Made sure I was getting in the game before I made the trip.  The 4am layover at St. Louis Depot reminds me of the terminal scene in Men in Black.  Those people aren't human.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, jonjon said:

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/197712180clt.htm

Picture it: 1977. Colts looked great all year but stumbled late in the season (sound familiar?) and had to beat the surging Pats at home to get to the playoffs. Pats throttled them in the first half with a tough D and were up 17-3...and proceeded to take the opening 2d half kickoff ALL the way to make it 24-3. The gloom was massive. 

Then Bert Jones went to work and proceeded to pick apart the Pats and win in dramatic fashion at the end. What a game! 

I was there too! That was the game Bert Jones fumbled but we got the call (no fumble). Those were great Colts teams that kept running into the eventual SB winners, be it the Steelers or Raiders. So close!

• Like 1

Despite growing up in Indiana as a kid, I never got the chance to see them while living there.

The first and only time I've seen the Colts in person was when they travelled to London and I got to witness us lose to the Jags. That Dwayne Allen drop right near the end of that game still haunts me to this day.

• Like 1

2021 Thanksgiving weekend vs. TampaBay.  Was my 14 yr. anniversary gift from my wife.  We played pretty dominant in the first half (2nd qtr), then melted down in the 3rd and couldn’t recover.  Lost a close one 31-38.  It felt so cool wearing my Nelson jersey amongst the sea of blue Colts fans.  It was unreal!

• Like 1

First game on TV? Colts Cowboys SB V. 1970

First game in person?

1998 preseason in Seattle against the Seahawks in the old Kingdome. 

Manning's first NFL pass was 48-yard TD strike to Marvin Harrison.

I was there. :1colts:

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Four2itus said:

First game on TV? Colts Cowboys SB V. 1970

First game in person?

1998 preseason in Seattle against the Seahawks in the old Kingdome. 

Manning's first NFL pass was 48-yard TD strike to Marvin Harrison.

I was there. :1colts:

No wonder we get along ;)

My first game, that I remember, was the 1970 Super Bowl.  I also went to the RCA Dome in 1998 to watch the Colts vs Bengals.  Great memories as both were wins!

• Thanks 1

I've never been to a Colts game. I was hoping the Colts will be sent to Germany with one of NFL's international games this year so I can do a roat trip and try to get a ticket to the game, but alas... it didn't happen this year. Hopefully next year :goodluck:

• Like 1

I remember seeing Unitas in Cleveland when I was a kid. 

But my first real memorable Colts game was (also in Cleveland) Bert Jones first game as a pro.  Hot sunny day, with a lot of drunk Browns fans in the end zone.

I went to Peyton’s  first home start against Dan Marino and the Miami Dolphins, colts lost a nail biter but I knew Peyton was a keeper. I got the tickets, which were great at Wesselmans ticket master in Evansville for $45 a piece.

21 hours ago, Professor Farnsworth said:

Just curious and thought it would be a fun thread to to talk about the first time seeing our favorite team in person? It can be either seeing them at home or on the road. My first experience myself was at the RCA.

This was back in October 1995 against the 49ers. My dad had gotten me and my brother out of school and told us we were going on a field trip and that it would last all weekend long. Well being young kids we were just happy to get out of school lol and at that point didn't think too much on what the surprise might be. We only got a couple of hours up the road and my Dad I guess could not hold it in anymore already lol and he told us were staying the weekend in Indy and going to the Colts game against the 49ers. We both yelled out in excitement and my dad was grinning from ear to ear. As I put in my introduction post, my dad was from Indy and had a lot of family up there still, but due to a lot of different things we had not seen our team in person.

Anyway, I remember walking up to the RCA with my dad and brother in tow, wearing my Faulk jersey, and just so pumped up to get inside. Once I saw the field I was so happy I almost fell down the stairs lol. Several visits to the concession stand and screaming my voice out later, we won a tight one with a Cary Blanchard winner. Great great time.

How about y'all?

1995 vs 49'ers was also my first Colts game.  My family got 4 seats in the waaaay up in the corner of the RCA Dome for cheap.  The mystery down at the end of the half.  The stop.  And Jason Belser tosses his helmet and runs the length of the field!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, John Hammonds said:

1995 vs 49'ers was also my first Colts game.  My family got 4 seats in the waaaay up in the corner of the RCA Dome for cheap.  The mystery down at the end of the half.  The stop.  And Jason Belser tosses his helmet and runs the length of the field!

That's awesome! I was only 9 years old at the time and my brother was 11. We both looked like Ron Howard's sons lol with the red hair and freckles.

4 minutes ago, Professor Farnsworth said:

That's awesome! I was only 9 years old at the time and my brother was 11. We both looked like Ron Howard's sons lol with the red hair and freckles.

I was 29 years old, and could barely afford the ticket.  Great game.  Great year.

• Thanks 1

Down in Miami, Oct 8,1995. Colts down by 21 at halftime...biggest comeback in franchise history. 27-24 win...in that game Tony McCoy ejected for a hard hit on Marino...driving back me and my buddies stop at a rest station and a lady wearing a McCoy jersey (McCoy was from Orlando) I said lets go chat with her.....she was Tony's wife. Had a memorable conversation with her. Never forget that day.

• Like 2

I think it was Harvard Stadium ( might have been Boston University stadium) against the Patriots. Unitas hit Raymond Chester TE on a 4th and 1 from about the colts 40 yard line after a play action fake, maybe 5-7 yards passed the line of scrimmage, and it went for a touchdown.  The old stadium had the teams walk kinda through, or past the fans, and I was shocked at the size of Bubba Smith.

31 minutes ago, holeymoley99 said:

Down in Miami, Oct 8,1995. Colts down by 21 at halftime...biggest comeback in franchise history. 27-24 win...in that game Tony McCoy ejected for a hard hit on Marino...driving back me and my buddies stop at a rest station and a lady wearing a McCoy jersey (McCoy was from Orlando) I said lets go chat with her.....she was Tony's wife. Had a memorable conversation with her. Never forget that day.

If I'm right...wasn't that the game were Jim Harbaugh recovered a fumble and was at the bottom of the scrum...came out with the ball, went to one knee in exhaustion, and then stood back up with the recovery? 

13 hours ago, coltsfeva said:

I was there too! That was the game Bert Jones fumbled but we got the call (no fumble). Those were great Colts teams that kept running into the eventual SB winners, be it the Steelers or Raiders. So close!

IIRC that fumble was right on the edge of was it or wasn't it a fumble? I do recall the controversy. And yeah that Colts-Raiders playoff games haunts me to this day...I still see our leaky secondary (our Achilles heel those days) giving up a long bomb TD in 3d OT to Dave Casper to lose :( I actually kicked the TV, lol. Fortunately parents weren't around. 

On 5/31/2022 at 9:40 PM, jonjon said:

IIRC that fumble was right on the edge of was it or wasn't it a fumble? I do recall the controversy. And yeah that Colts-Raiders playoff games haunts me to this day...I still see our leaky secondary (our Achilles heel those days) giving up a long bomb TD in 3d OT to Dave Casper to lose :( I actually kicked the TV, lol. Fortunately parents weren't around. 

I think they ruled he was either “in the grasp” or that his forward progress had stopped but the NE fans had a legitimate reason for complaining, IMHO

My first Colts game was on Sunday Nov 18, 1984.  It was Colts versus Patriots.  The game was pretty putrid with New England winning 50-17. I was 12 years old, I didn't mind!

A special shout out to My first ever NFL game also in 1984 at the Hoosier Dome featuring the Chicago Bears vs Buffalo Bills in preseason. It was also the first ever SCHEDULED NFL game at the Dome.
So I was able to see both Super Bowl participants that season with Chicago and New England. That Chicago team was really special! One of my favorites aside from the Colts.

I will forever cherish both of those games because my uncle took me to both of them.  He was killed a few years later.  

• Like 1

First game I remember seeing on tv was the 1958 Championship.

First Colts game I went to was 1972 in Memorial Stadium after I graduated HS. Miami trounced the Colts. I later watched Unitas’s last TD pass as a Colt in person-vs Buffalo- I believe.

I’ve got a brick from Memorial Stadium.

I’ve been to 2 games in Indy. One was against the Pats- my son was in 4th grade at the time and playing for his league championship in a pre-Colts game in the Dome while the Pros warmed up. Willie McGinnest helped my kid line up better and he got 2 tackles, so I thought it was neat. But in the Real Game, McGinnest faked injury to stop the Colts momentum and our Colts lost.  Never will forgive him for that.

• Like 1

They actually have it on Youtube: Colts vs Chargers Sept. 20, 1970. First game of the new American Football Conference after the NFL-AFL merger.  Got to see Johnny U lead a 2-minute drive as time ran out to win 16-14. With rookie Jim O'Brien kicking the game winner --- just like he would a few months later when we won Super Bowl 5! Great team, really great D. Mike Curtis, Bubba Smith. Builach, Jefferson, Hinton, Mackey and Mitchell on O. Awesome way to start my fandom.

• Like 2

1984 home game vs the Bills.  Pagel was Qb threw one Td to Ray Butler.  Randy Mcmillen ran for a lot of yards and I think scored a couple Tds. 

Buffalo's Qb threw some picks, and one was pick six of 50 yards or so. Can't remember the Db though.

Colts won 30 something to 17.

Went with 3 friends from my hometown, one of them worked for a local radio station and we got the tix for free,

Only other thing I can remember is they were serving Old Style brand beer and I bought all of us one.

In 2010 I was an exchange student from England at Indiana University. 

(Greatest year ever btw)

Naturally wanting to see an NFL game in person, myself and a few Australian friends went to see the Colts beat the Bengals in a November 2010 game. He didn't actually throw a td pass but it turned out to be Peyton's last season so was grateful I got to see him in person before he left. 

• Like 1