Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

2022 OTAs: Session 1 Summary

Was Pittman's status as 'the Colts' WR-1 in question last year ? 

Given that Wentz targeted him seemingly incessantly (for better or worse), he

certainly viewed him that way.

Thanks for the info @EastStreet. Not sure why Pierce is on the 2nd team. That sounds like bad news early on if he can't beat out Strachan. Glad Woods is beating out Granson. Expected the O-Line to be the way it is.

I'll believe Hines will be used properly when I see it. Those are just words from Reich that he will be a fantasy option and everything else. 

Other than that, it seems a lot of people have nagging injuries or aren't participating. The Pierce news worries me, and even though no one will take me serious, I have a feeling Ballard and/or Reich saw something they didn't like about him up to this point to start Strachan on the 1st team above him.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

18 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Thanks for the info @EastStreet. Not sure why Pierce is on the 2nd team. That sounds like bad news early on if he can't beat out Strachan. Glad Woods is beating out Granson. Expected the O-Line to be the way it is.

I'll believe Hines will be used properly when I see it. Those are just words from Reich that he will be a fantasy option and everything else. 

Other than that, it seems a lot of people have nagging injuries or aren't participating. The Pierce news worries me, and even though no one will take me serious, I have a feeling Ballard and/or Reich saw something they didn't like about him up to this point to start Strachan on the 1st team above him.

I wouldn’t worry too much yet. Perhaps they just want the rookie to earn his stripes in camp rather than be handed a starting role right out of the gate. 

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

OR..... Strachan is taking 1st team reps because he knows the play book and pierce doesn’t yet. I think they want to make a good assessment on Ryan so it would make sense to have the more experienced/reliable guy out there.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

43 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

My guess is that they just want a good look at the young WR with Ryan to determine what they have before signing TY. Especially since Sam and not Foles took most of the 2nd team snaps. Want to see who had chemistry with him.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Matty Ice-Ice Baby said:

OR..... Strachan is taking 1st team reps because he knows the play book and pierce doesn’t yet. I think they want to make a good assessment on Ryan so it would make sense to have the more experienced/reliable guy out there.

Probably more of a assessment if their WR before deciding to bring TY back.

1 hour ago, Matty Ice-Ice Baby said:

Yes, the answer COULDN'T be more simple. He thinks up some painfully bad stuff all to frequently. Some people should just wait to see what the wise say. lol

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

This is No news.  None at all.  Dude doesn’t know the plays yet man.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Pierce could be working as gunner to make sure he active on game day. If you remember last year when Mike as inactive frank said it came down to him not being able to contribute on teams

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, indykmj said:

Was Pittman's status as 'the Colts' WR-1 in question last year ? 

Given that Wentz targeted him seemingly incessantly (for better or worse), he

certainly viewed him that way.

Pittman and Pascal were reads 1 and 2 90+% of the time it seamed when Frank called pass plays. Pittman more the designed target than anything else. It was pretty rinse repeat. And our pass pro really didn't allow a lot of late read comfort. So not surprising he got the lion's share of targets. 

3 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

You're welcome. 

Like I said all along. I like Pierce a lot, but he was more or less a one trick pony at Cinci, and folks should be cautious with their early expectations. I'd love for him to surprise us all, and start early and be a stud, but that's just not likely. We're asking him to do things now he really never did at Cinci. New plays, new routes, new scheme, blocking responsibility, etc.. At Cinci, he was a star for simply running outside 9s. His route tree outside of that was super limited, and he rarely lined up anywhere else..

In short, he'll need patience. He didn't have a well rounded game like Pittman had coming from a P5 program like USC. 

2 hours ago, Matty Ice-Ice Baby said:

It's actually a bit strange. While that logic might be good for "why not to use Pierce" (he's a rook with very limited route tree experience), it really doesn't explain "why Strachan", or support the theory they are trying to assess Ryan. If they wanted experience or to assess Ryan, I'd think Dulin would be running with the 1s as he had the 3rd most snaps at WR last year, and almost 6ish times that of Strachan. 

IMO, it's not a bad thing for Pierce (I didn't expect him to start early). It is likely a good thing for Strachan. A little surprising for Dulin. And probably not a good thing for Patmon. Regardless, it's very very early, so not really a big deal. Just interesting out of the gate. 

2 hours ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

Probably more of a assessment if their WR before deciding to bring TY back.

This doesn't make a lot sense. See above.

50 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

Yes, the answer COULDN'T be more simple. He thinks up some painfully bad stuff all to frequently. Some people should just wait to see what the wise say. lol

I personally didn't envision Pierce starting early in the year due to obvious reasons, so not shocking. But I do find it interesting that he's getting work at gunner. Nothing to freak out about, but something to watch. 

22 minutes ago, Nickster said:

Yup. And lacks route running experience. 

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, jbaron04 said:

Pierce could be working as gunner to make sure he active on game day. If you remember last year when Mike as inactive frank said it came down to him not being able to contribute on teams

Pierce is a second round pick not a 7th rounder. He better be active of we over drafted him.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Gosh yes! Pierce playing second string in first volunteer OTA spells bust.:lol:

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

Pierce is a second round pick not a 7th rounder. He better be active of we over drafted him.

Reggie Wayne was a 1st rounder and it took him 3 years to be peak productive, just saying. We just forget too quickly.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

But he played. He was inactive every game. That was my point.

Game 1 of the season hasn't started yet, slow down your horses. 

• Like 1

I'm glad we have Reggie as our WR coach since Pierce needs a lot of coaching for his footwork and route running.  I'm can see Reich designing a few plays early in the season to get AP involved though.

I see Woods having a better overall year than AP.  Matt Ryan loves those athletic TE's over the middle.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, EastStreet said:

Figured I summarize in one place based on all the local articles and tweets

Keep in mind, OTAs are non contact, so not a lot to glean in many aspects, especially the trenches on both sides. Also very heavy on "installment" of scheme and plays.

Also, with a new D scheme, rooks (on both sides), and a new QB, nothing below should be considered in stone (except for existing entrenched starters). 

• Offense
    • QB
      • QB1 - Ryan of course has this on lock.
        • Saw a few comments that his accuracy was both really good, and really bad (in spurts), at times. Lacked crispness per 1075 as well. It's week one in a new O with new pass catchers, so nothing to see here at this point. I'll take Pitt's comments though, which were very positive. 
      • QB2/Depth - Foles is the obvious backup
        • With Foles just coming on, Sam has taken 2nd team snaps - not a lot feedback on how he looked
        • Foles is already receiving Pro Bowl and All Pro nods from some on the board here. He really slayed the gushy local media.

Good QBs... Not worried about them at this point. 

• RB
      • Depth chart is pretty obvious 1-2. Lindsay is the assumed RB3 at this point, but long time before that's firmed. 
      • Reich did comment that folks should pick Hines for Fantasy Football... lol
      • RBs spent a little time running WR routes on Wednesday. A little... None reported on Thursday. 
      • Hines - called the most "intense" player in practice this week

Hines is probably the player that will benefit the most from the QB change. 

• WR
      • First team has mostly been Pittman, Campbell, and Strachan. 
      • Pittman has missed time, but I did see vids of two nice, strong/crisp passes from Ryan to Pitt. 
      • Catch of the week candidate is Dulin, who caught a 30+ yard bomb in stride from Ryan
      • Pierce has been running with the 2s, and has also spent time working STs at gunner. 
      • Pittman said his goal is to be Indy's unquestionable WR1 this season

MIKE STRACHAN SEASON!!! Lets go! Weird goal for Pittman, but oh well... if he's not our WR1 this season there are really only two possible scenarios - something went horribly wrong.... or something went amazingly good! 

• TE
      • First team has been MAC and Woods

Nice. Woods can impact the team from the start. Even while still learning the position in the league. 

• OL
      • First team has been as expected. Pryor / Nelson / Kelly / Pinter / Smith
      • Again, OTAs are no contact, so not a lot to take from this week. 
      • Dennis Kelly was out due to injury

Yep... sounds good... hope to see Raimann with a shot at LT at some point this season. 

• Defense
    • DL
      • First team has been Paye / Stewart / Defo / Banogu
        • YN has been out (Lewis too), so nobody freak out about Banogu standing in at LEO lol.. 
        • Still, good news if your Banogu that you're even getting time with the 1st team.

Yeah... this is probably Banogu's last chance with the Colts. Lets see if he will use it well... 

• LB
      • Leonard has missed time. Oke and Zaire with the first team. 
      • Reports of Zaire looking good, but he did drop an easy INT per reports
      • Speed got some kudos too for pass defense

Leonard missing time and not being 100% healthy after what he went through last season with his ankle is worrisome. I really hope he recovers fully for the start of the season. He doesn't even need to go through OTAs, training camp, etc. If more time means fully healthy Maniac, it's worth it. Just get him healthy.

• CB
      • Big story is Kenny doing a soft hold out.
        • Still in attendance, and soaking things in.
        • It's OTAs, which is voluntary, so no big deal now.
        • Mandatory camp is June 7-9, so things will obviously either be resolved by then, or heat up. 
      • Gilmore not inserted yet either except for late week walkthrough
      • Frist team has been Rodgers, Facyson, and Chesley
        • I've seen both Rodgers and Facyson compliments.
        • Not sure who was running at NB, but my first guess is Rodgers, but could be one of the others. 

I wonder if us pursuing Mathieu made Kenny seek stronger commitment from the team? 

• Safety
      • Both Blackmon and Willis are out.
        • Per FR, Blackmon is ahead of schedule on return. Was seen doing band exercises. 
      • First team has been Redmond (CB convert to S) and McLeod
        • McLeod got some kudos, which is good to hear given he's likely our early starting FS

Any news on Cross? 

• Special Teams
    • One interesting note is that Pierce has been getting a look at gunner. Something to watch going forward, as if he continues to work at gunner, likely means he's not an early starter. 
    • If Rodgers ends up as starter at CB, one has to assume his ST's snaps will take a hit. 
    • Given Parris's injury history, hoping they keep him away from STs.. 

I wonder if Rodrigo keeps his job? The new guy supposedly has stronger leg and it seems like the Colts are looking for that... 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Nickster said:

Pittman didn’t know the plays either. Neither did Campbell. They didn’t take ST reps and 2nd team reps if I remember correctly (and correct me if I’m wrong of course)?

Woods doesn’t know the plays either…

Not trying to make something out of nothing, but I agree with @Jared Cisneros in this seems strange. Not panicking of course. Just seems strange in my opinion. 

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, stitches said:

Good QBs... Not worried about them at this point. 

Good QB... If Ryan goes down for more than a few games, I want to tank lol... 

But yup, not worried at all. 

Hines is probably the player that will benefit the most from the QB change. 

I'd guess MAC will benefit a ton too. If TY comes back, I think he might find a second wind lol.. 

MIKE STRACHAN SEASON!!!

Strachan has such great traits. If he can polish up, I really love his chances. 

Patmon to an extent too, but he lacks that "my-ball" attitude, or at least did in college. 

Long time before now and pre-season.

Lets go! Weird goal for Pittman, but oh well... if he's not our WR1 this season there are really only two possible scenarios - something went horribly wrong.... or something went amazingly good! 

I think Pittman just knows how typical X WRs are viewed. More than not, dynamic Z types get most of the spotlight. 

If he can string multiple 1000+ years together, nobody will question things. 

Nice. Woods can impact the team from the start. Even while still learning the position in the league. 

I'm not all that high on Granson, and hope Woods gets a good amount of reps/snaps. 

Yeah... this is probably Banogu's last chance with the Colts. Lets see if he will use it well... 

Unless he's really improved his outside rush, I just don't see him having a lot of success (unless they keep him for SAM).

Leonard missing time and not being 100% healthy after what he went through last season with his ankle is worrisome. I really hope he recovers fully for the start of the season. He doesn't even need to go through OTAs, training camp, etc. If more time means fully healthy Maniac, it's worth it. Just get him healthy.

I really don't care if Leonard participates in OTAs, but just seems strange as it's no-contact all through OTAs.

Had a feeling he'd get some clean up done this off season (he did last off season too), so perhaps that's part of it. 

Reich commented that he was surprised. Which doesn't exactly make me warm and fuzzy that Reich is that disconnected from one of his best players. 

I wonder if us pursuing Mathieu made Kenny seek stronger commitment from the team? 

That would be silly IMO if that were the case. He's not even in a contract year, or on a rook deal. 

I have no clue what he's trying to accomplish. 

If he wants guarantees, I'm sure they can work something out.

If he wants top 5 pay, I'd tell him to shop for a trade.

Any news on Cross? 

not a peep. 

I didn't expect to hear much given he's a rook, but hoped we would. He's one of the players I'm most interested in. 

I wonder if Rodrigo keeps his job? The new guy supposedly has stronger leg and it seems like the Colts are looking for that... 

I read that Bagley is still unsigned and available, but perhaps Ballard thinks the new guy can compete. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

I read that Bagley is still unsigned and available, but perhaps Ballard thinks the new guy can compete. 

I read somewhere that both Bagley and Blankenship were among the worst kickers from 50+ yards in the league. I think the Colts know that at some point they will need their kicker to kick a 55 yarder and I am not sure they trust Rodrigo and Bagley. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, stitches said:

I read somewhere that both Bagley and Blankenship were among the worst kickers from 50+ yards in the league. I think the Colts know that at some point they will need their kicker to kick a 55 yarder and I am not sure they trust Rodrigo and Bagley. 

We were 0-2 on 50+ last season. 

So not really a lot of attempts. 

And we know Frank likes to go for it too on 4th. 

We were pretty solid on everything under 50. IIRC, we were one of the best 40-49. 

1 hour ago, Solid84 said:

Pittman didn’t know the plays either. Neither did Campbell. They didn’t take ST reps and 2nd team reps if I remember correctly (and correct me if I’m wrong of course)?

Woods doesn’t know the plays either…

Not trying to make something out of nothing, but I agree with @Jared Cisneros in this seems strange. Not panicking of course. Just seems strange in my opinion. 

If you remember what those guys did the first session of OTAs the I certainly defer to you.  That’s some real hardcore fandom there.

Pearce probably isn’t an out of the box with batteries pre installed guy BTW.  Somewhat of a project.

But I think you guys might be reading a little to much into the first non contact walk thrus lol.

• Haha 1

56 minutes ago, Nickster said:

If you remember what those guys did the first session of OTAs the I certainly defer to you.  That’s some real hardcore fandom there.

Pearce probably isn’t an out of the box with batteries pre installed guy BTW.  Somewhat of a project.

But I think you guys might be reading a little to much into the first non contact walk thrus lol.

I’m not concluding anything, really. It’s just a thought. Of course he has things to learn, but I honestly expected him to do so with the 1st team. It’s most likely nothing, just an observation. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Matty Ice-Ice Baby said:

Perhaps Strachan is looking really good and that's why mgt isn't pursuing a much more expensive vet?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, cdgacoltsfan said:

Perhaps Strachan is looking really good and that's why mgt isn't pursuing a much more expensive vet?

Ballard already said word for word he wanted to see what he had before bringing in a vet. So yes the next few weeks are critical whether TY comes back. If he liked what he has he may just stick with it and not bring TY back.  This is why he brought in two more RB. He wasn’t liking what he had.

Yeah lets keep in mind they are only doing walk throughs... I expect Pierce is still learning the playbook as Reich requires the WRs to know every single WR position before getting significant snaps. 

I am not worried at all about this. My main concern right now is safety and how that will shake out. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AustinnKaine said:

Yeah lets keep in mind they are only doing walk throughs... I expect Pierce is still learning the playbook as Reich requires the WRs to know every single WR position before getting significant snaps. 

I am not worried at all about this. My main concern right now is safety and how that will shake out. 

McLeod from what I understood had a great week his first week and was making plays. I like our safety group. Reich also said Blackmon would be ready soon. Doesn’t sound like Willis is at OTA.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

McLeod from what I understood had a great week his first week and was making plays. I like our safety group. Reich also said Blackmon would be ready soon. Doesn’t sound like Willis is at OTA.

Everyone seems to be sleeping on McLeoad, i think he starts from Day 1 and stays in lineup throughout. He is a player and will help the rest of the room.

• Like 4

16 hours ago, AustinnKaine said:

It's more than walk throughs. They go 7/7 and 11/11, but it's simply no contact. One of the days was a heavy install day, so more scheme work than anything. 

The bolded above is part of our problem if true. Many, perhaps even most teams, let their WRs focus on limited aspects. For instance, T Hill was pretty much a pure slot his first couple years. Then they moved him outside. I certainly don't mind cross training, but I simply want to see young guns given early opportunity to do things we already no they are good at. In Pierce's case, let him run a few boundary nines or deep slants from the outside per game. 

12 hours ago, holeymoley99 said:

Everyone seems to be sleeping on McLeoad, i think he starts from Day 1 and stays in lineup throughout. He is a player and will help the rest of the room.

I'm not. He's graded better than Blackmon the last several years. He's also likely a better fit as a C3 FS than Blackmon. 

That said, I still want to see Cross get an opportunity at centerfielder. IMO, McLeod can play either position. Blackmon will likely miss the start of the season, or if not, will likely be rustyAF. Not sure why Khari was not participating. But assuming he's healthy to start the season, I'm hoping we limit him to the box more this year. 

• Like 2

On 5/28/2022 at 10:54 AM, EastStreet said:

It's more than walk throughs. They go 7/7 and 11/11, but it's simply no contact. One of the days was a heavy install day, so more scheme work than anything. 

The bolded above is part of our problem if true. Many, perhaps even most teams, let their WRs focus on limited aspects. For instance, T Hill was pretty much a pure slot his first couple years. Then they moved him outside. I certainly don't mind cross training, but I simply want to see young guns given early opportunity to do things we already no they are good at. In Pierce's case, let him run a few boundary nines or deep slants from the outside per game. 

I'm not. He's graded better than Blackmon the last several years. He's also likely a better fit as a C3 FS than Blackmon. 

That said, I still want to see Cross get an opportunity at centerfielder. IMO, McLeod can play either position. Blackmon will likely miss the start of the season, or if not, will likely be rustyAF. Not sure why Khari was not participating. But assuming he's healthy to start the season, I'm hoping we limit him to the box more this year. 

yeah sorry i mainly meant the no contact part being walkthroughs, sure there is some accelerated running at times but for the most part these OTAs were slow paced learning opportunities. 

2 minutes ago, AustinnKaine said:

yeah sorry i mainly meant the no contact part being walkthroughs, sure there is some accelerated running at times but for the most part these OTAs were slow paced learning opportunities. 

At least on one day, there was full speed passing/catching, and some passing/catching with DBs and LBs defending. Just no hitting.

So I'd say the "learning" is slow paced, but some of the activities are full pace. Regardless, only so much you can glean from OTAs, and especially early OTAs. 

• Like 3

On 5/27/2022 at 8:07 AM, Jared Cisneros said:

He’s a rookie.  Stop.

49 minutes ago, Professor Farnsworth said:

Well personally I hope we get more than that from him. We shall see.

I don’t expect anymore then that. I will be shocked if we get more. We have to give these guys a little time to develop. Pittman started to come along about half way through gif rookie year then he got injured. Hopefully by the second half of the season we start to see a ton from him.

On 5/27/2022 at 2:01 PM, Solid84 said:

Any news on Cross by the way? Was looking forward to hearing about him. 

I would bet he is trying to figure out the playbook, etc. Tough job for a rook in the NFL. Its still May. He'll be up to speed soon (hopefully).