Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

We could have some expensive extension next off season

37 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

I think it happens, just not publicized near as much as other higher profile positions. I'd add that QBs typically don't want you to mess with their C if they've got a good one. Agreed, bad timing with Kelly. He's been on the decline, and I'd really like to see him rebound. Just not sure it's in the cards though.

After this year, his dead cap goes way down (so easier to walk away if needed), but his cap hit goes up. IMO, this will be a critical year for him. 

Have it factor in Q as well because he really likes playing with Kelly. Says he's the smartest player on the line and gets everyone set up.

4 hours ago, MikeCurtis said:

Agreed!

The cap going up will help, but the importance of getting picks that contribute is important

It would surprise me a bit if we traded our first for more 2nds.

(I hope they use it on a QB)

Totally agree with your points as well.

Ballard has made it clear that he feels "the meat of the draft" lies in the 2nd to 4th rounds.

Trading OUT of the first round saves on rookie contracts - AND - picks up additional draft picks.

So far - we can't argue with this agenda.

46 minutes ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

Pryor won’t be as expensive as most LT. But you can’t just get rid of him unless your sure Rainmann can play there. 

I'm just saying that's likely the plan. He was drafted to be our LT of the future.

37 minutes ago, CR91 said:

Have it factor in Q as well because he really likes playing with Kelly. Says he's the smartest player on the line and gets everyone set up.

I get it, but wouldn't worry about that like I would the impact to QB. 

The OL functioned pretty well with Pinter at C.

The impact to vets like Smith and Q would be minimal. 

Impact would likely to be to the unproven folks. 

Overall, they've said they'll play the best 5, but pretty much all teams say that. We were very conservative last year, and only shuffled folks due to injury. When they finally pulled Fisher late in the season, it was too late. OL coaches like Hiestand and DeGuglielmo historically were great about getting the best guys on the field, regardless of position. It'll be interesting to see what happens this season. 

4 hours ago, Professor Farnsworth said:

Maybe I'm more in the line of old school thinking, but center's and guards are way more important to the success of a team than I think people give them credit for. Might not be traded for all that often, but I think they are just as prudent of a position to trade for as any other especially center. The QB/center relationship should be a special one and one to ensure their is harmony at.

They are no doubt important to team success, but they are also a bit easier to replace, therefore treated as more fungible. 

NFL.com ranked the positions, and here's how the OL positions ranked among all positions (both sides and STs, 25 total in all). 

LT - #3

RT - #13

RG - #15

C - #17

LG - #20

I don't necessarily agree with this 100%, but it is directionally correct IMO.

Here's the full ranks and logic they use.

https://www.nfl.com/news/ranking-each-position-s-importance-from-quarterback-to-returner-0ap3000000503855

19 hours ago, CR91 said:

I'm just saying that's likely the plan. He was drafted to be our LT of the future.

The question would be.... what if Pryor is actually better than Raiman at LT?

Pryor was very good last year, He MIGHT just be a better solution at LT

Bern is very athletic, but he is also very strong (30 reps at Combine bench)

Better than the vast majority of most of the guards / Tackles that went in the past few drafts

Its seems BOTH of our LTs can play elsewhere as well

Its a GREAT "problem" to have....  

I think Pinter will ultimately be sent back to the bench by the end of the season and the "loser" between LTs, will be our RG

Knock on wood... but there will be injuries, and its a good thing that players can play up and down the line.

It will be a fun competition to watch.

I'm just as interested as to how the WR group will be competed

Pierce also doing STs is a good thing

Can Mike S, pick up the offense this year?

Will Campbell finally show what he did at THE Ohio State 

It will be an interesting off season / Camp

On 5/26/2022 at 8:36 PM, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

Will Yannick stay a colt?

Pittman and Taylor elgible for extension. If Pittman has another great year expect him to get AJ Brown money.  Both are going to be a huge pay increase. 

Taylor is going to be expensive.

Then you have Pryor. Will he prove to be a good LT and get paid. Will the colts pay him or will they feel Rainman is ready.

Okereke probably won’t cost much. Lewis will need one if he has a great season. Parris won’t cost much.

I think this is a very good thread.  Glad you started it.  I confess I’m surprised that the vast majority of the talk (all?) is about Pittman.    I think Taylor is just as interesting and maybe even more so.  

Assuming he stays healthy this season, I think JT is likely looking at a minimum of $15m per. The smallest might be 3/45, but could easily be 4/60.   And if he plays hardball, maybe even pushes for 5/75.   

I know I always preach the salary cap is going up, but the negotiations for both Taylor and Pittman and Nelson are not going to be easy.  And if he has a good 2022 season, you can add Moore to that list.   And I forgot to include Ngokoue, who may or may not be brought back?  And that’s before we start bringing back the guys who are on 1-year deals and we want to bring them back as well. 

On 5/27/2022 at 1:32 PM, EastStreet said:

I love Pittman, but even another 1000 yard season really doesn't put him in elite space. 

1000 yards is a great target for a WR, but in reality, 26 pass catchers had 1000+ yards last season. 

And I think Pittman was 16th or so. 

So he's definitely in the WR1 space in yardage, but he's middle of the pack (16th) among WR1s.

He'll still get good money, but probably not FUMoney

I agree ....  Pittman isn't elite. Im not sure he will ever be. He has this year to prove it.

He also was thrown the most passes.... even when double covered, by a wide margin

I think you HAVE to pay "elite money" to 3 positions

QB, LT, Pass Rush DE

It will be a challenge to keep "the gang" together with more and more stars, wanting the big cash $$$

MOST long term, successful teams keep a small core together, and turn over the roster with the lower cost players in the draft

You may actually see some of the older vets, that we have all come to love, get traded for more draft picks

9 hours ago, MikeCurtis said:

I agree ....  Pittman isn't elite. Im not sure he will ever be. He has this year to prove it.

He also was thrown the most passes.... even when double covered, by a wide margin

I think you HAVE to pay "elite money" to 3 positions

QB, LT, Pass Rush DE

It will be a challenge to keep "the gang" together with more and more stars, wanting the big cash $$$

MOST long term, successful teams keep a small core together, and turn over the roster with the lower cost players in the draft

You may actually see some of the older vets, that we have all come to love, get traded for more draft picks

I think there's a decent chance Pittman could be elite. Succeeding like he did given he was the clear go-to, says something IMO. Being #2 in contested catches, also says a lot. But when I say elite, I say it relative to the X position. IMO, it's simply harder for an X to be a true elite WR1 than a legit Z or slot. I also think Reich's O doesn't do a lot to help WRs. An over abundance of short to intermediate possession type routes simply makes it harder than an O that stretches the field more. 

I agree on the roster structure stuff for the most part. I'd say most teams have a core of 4-5, though, or at least try to keep that. I'm more than fine with turnover so long as it makes sense financially. We've done some things that haven't made sense at times, but also done some smart things too. I also think you need limit your early draft picks to higher paid positions. Overall, it's a complex formula to bring it all together, but it's not rocket science either. 

On 5/26/2022 at 11:49 PM, NewColtsFan said:

I don’t expect Pittman to ask for Brown type of money.   That’s $25 mill per.   Ballard will likely never pay that, not to any receiver.   So if he wants a long term deal with the Colts catching 85-100 passes a season, he’ll bring his ask down considerably.   I don’t see him getting $25 from anyone.  Then again, no one saw the deal comin that JVille gave Kirk this off-season. 

Ultimately,  I don’t know what Ballard is willing to pay a WR?   $20m?   18m?   Not sure?  That’ll be fascinating to learn. 

But also of importance will be the number of years and the total guarantees involved.  When you get into the fine print of some of the so-called mega-deals, you find out they’re not quite as substantial as when they’re first reported. 

I'd wager that Ballard is no different than most GMs we've seen, despite his media presentations.  He values "his guys" over the guys he did not draft.  He paid RT Smith and ILB Leonard top money, while annually skimping on others' free agents.  I don't think its because he values those positions higher than WR.  I think he paid them well because they are good and he drafted them.

I'm not saying that Pitt gets top money.  I'm just saying that Ballard has not yet shown us how he handles resigning good players that he has drafted....because frankly....not many have been worth it yet.  That's why we have yet to see much of it yet.  Smith and DL being two exceptions, and they are highly paid at positions that tend to be easier to find. 

Ballard is going to value the guys he drafted higher than you might think, like most GMs do, JMO.

Archived