Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

We could have some expensive extension next off season

Will Yannick stay a colt?

Pittman and Taylor elgible for extension. If Pittman has another great year expect him to get AJ Brown money.  Both are going to be a huge pay increase. 

Taylor is going to be expensive.

Then you have Pryor. Will he prove to be a good LT and get paid. Will the colts pay him or will they feel Rainman is ready.

Okereke probably won’t cost much. Lewis will need one if he has a great season. Parris won’t cost much.

3 minutes ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

Pittman and Taylor elgible for extension. If Pittman has another great year expect him to get AJ Brown money.  Both are going to be a huge pay increase. 

Then you have Pryor. Will he prove to be a good LT and get paid. Will the colts pay him or will they feel Rainman is ready.

Okereke probably won’t cost much. Lewis will need one if he has a great season. Parris won’t cost much.

I don’t expect Pittman to ask for Brown type of money.   That’s $25 mill per.   Ballard will likely never pay that, not to any receiver.   So if he wants a long term deal with the Colts catching 85-100 passes a season, he’ll bring his ask down considerably.   I don’t see him getting $25 from anyone.  Then again, no one saw the deal comin that JVille gave Kirk this off-season. 

Ultimately,  I don’t know what Ballard is willing to pay a WR?   $20m?   18m?   Not sure?  That’ll be fascinating to learn. 

But also of importance will be the number of years and the total guarantees involved.  When you get into the fine print of some of the so-called mega-deals, you find out they’re not quite as substantial as when they’re first reported. 

31 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I don’t expect Pittman to ask for Brown type of money.   That’s $25 mill per.   Ballard will likely never pay that, not to any receiver.   So if he wants a long term deal with the Colts catching 85-100 passes a season, he’ll bring his ask down considerably.   I don’t see him getting $25 from anyone.  Then again, no one saw the deal comin that JVille gave Kirk this off-season. 

Ultimately,  I don’t know what Ballard is willing to pay a WR?   $20m?   18m?   Not sure?  That’ll be fascinating to learn. 

But also of importance will be the number of years and the total guarantees involved.  When you get into the fine print of some of the so-called mega-deals, you find out they’re not quite as substantial as when they’re first reported. 

Pittman had more yards last year then any year Brown has been a Titan. Now Brown was injured for a few games last season so he would of had more then Pittman this season. But if Pittman follows last year up with 1200 to 1300 yards he is going to get paid a ton.  It’s at least going to be 20. I think it’s different since it’s his own guy he drafted.

Pryor is the one we could let go even with a great year if they feel Rainman is ready. Or maybe he flat out wins the job this year. 

Pittman, Taylor, and Pryor are the expensive ones since they are so cheap rite now. Yannick would just be a extension.

2 hours ago, Matabix said:

I don't envy Ballard at all now. He put together such a good team that now it's time to pay. Some great players will not get signed I'm afraid.

It’s not much different then extending the 2018 class like he already has.  But Nelson won’t cost much more because he was such a high draft pick.  Taylor and Pittman are going to be expensive because they are cheap right now. Pryor would probably be between 10 and 15 million if he has a good season. Those three guys will probably need about 45 million for them. Colts should hope that Rainman can play LT to save money.

Nelson Taylor and Yannick should be the priorities.  Yannick would have to be done first as his contract is voided after this year, and Nelson and Taylor should be no brainers but I think the team will be able to afford those no problem.  

The real issue is with players like Pittman, unless he's pulling league leading stats consistently, he isn't going to demand a break the bank contract, and at this point, contracts are only reaching 3-4 years because of such high monies.  

Also having one year with more yards isn't a valid comparison because it was only 30 yards more and 7 yards more than his highest seasons, BUT it took Pittman 88 catches while Brown did it in less than 70.

These are two different players in different schemes and had different passers.  Brown also warranted the high money because he was traded for a first rounder but also he scores more than Pittman has.

Ballard should make the money work for whoever needs to stay, and with 127 mil in 2024, Im sure theyll figure something out when its necessary.

13 hours ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

Pittman had more yards last year then any year Brown has been a Titan. Now Brown was injured for a few games last season so he would of had more then Pittman this season. But if Pittman follows last year up with 1200 to 1300 yards he is going to get paid a ton.  It’s at least going to be 20. I think it’s different since it’s his own guy he drafted.

Pryor is the one we could let go even with a great year if they feel Rainman is ready. Or maybe he flat out wins the job this year. 

Pittman, Taylor, and Pryor are the expensive ones since they are so cheap rite now. Yannick would just be a extension.

You may be right.   Maybe.    But I’m not convinced, at least not yet.  And I think everything we know about Ballard tells us he’s likely not to re-sign Pittman if MPJ wants every last dollar.  

Remember, while the mega-deals for Adams, Hill, and Brown grab the headlines, here is what has gone almost unnoticed….  Green Bay, Kansas City and Tennessee, three well run franchises,  agreed to trade their star receivers.  They got draft picks in return and have reloaded.   I wouldn’t bet against Ballard doing the exact same thing if MPJ wants max money.   In fact, I think that’s what he’d do.  At some point,  Ballard would trade MPJ, and Pierce, or someone else,  would be the new WR1, and we’d draft a new WR on a rookie contract.   Cap management.  

I’ve long said Ballard doesn’t value WRs as other teams do.   For better and worse.  This  will be a big test. 

4 hours ago, federicofalcon2 said:

Nelson Taylor and Yannick should be the priorities.  Yannick would have to be done first as his contract is voided after this year, and Nelson and Taylor should be no brainers but I think the team will be able to afford those no problem.  

The real issue is with players like Pittman, unless he's pulling league leading stats consistently, he isn't going to demand a break the bank contract, and at this point, contracts are only reaching 3-4 years because of such high monies.  

Also having one year with more yards isn't a valid comparison because it was only 30 yards more and 7 yards more than his highest seasons, BUT it took Pittman 88 catches while Brown did it in less than 70.

These are two different players in different schemes and had different passers.  Brown also warranted the high money because he was traded for a first rounder but also he scores more than Pittman has.

Ballard should make the money work for whoever needs to stay, and with 127 mil in 2024, Im sure theyll figure something out when its necessary.

That’s why I said if he follows it up with another 1k plus yard season.

5 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

You may be right.   Maybe.    But I’m not convinced, at least not yet.  And I think everything we know about Ballard tells us he’s likely not to re-sign Pittman if MPJ wants every last dollar.  

Remember, while the mega-deals for Adams, Hill, and Brown grab the headlines, here is what has gone almost unnoticed….  Green Bay, Kansas City and Tennessee, three well run franchises,  agreed to trade their star receivers.  They got draft picks in return and have reloaded.   I wouldn’t bet against Ballard doing the exact same thing if MPJ wants max money.   In fact, I think that’s what he’d do.  At some point,  Ballard would trade MPJ, and Pierce, or someone else,  would be the new WR1, and we’d draft a new WR on a rookie contract.   Cap management.  

I’ve long said Ballard doesn’t value WRs as other teams do.   For better and worse.  This  will be a big test. 

No it’s the opposite. Ballard stresses  extending his own guys. But we will see since the drafts are loaded with talent now. 

Just now, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

No it’s the opposite. Ballard stresses  extending his own guys. But we will see since the drafts are loaded with talent now. 

I know that’s what Ballard stresses.   I get that.   But no viewpoint is 100 percent.  It would be silly and bad for business if it was.   

Pittman absolutely can price himself off the Colts.   Just the way Brown did in Tenn and Hill did in KC.   Ballard may want to re-sign his own, but he’s not going to be held hostage.  Pittman will have to be reasonable.   Otherwise……….

To be clear, I’m a Pittman fan.  I like him and glad we have him.  I’m not expecting a big problem.   But the WR market has gone insane, so anything is possible.  It all depends on what MP asks for and what CB is willing to pay. 

10 minutes ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

That’s why I said if he follows it up with another 1k plus yard season.

I love Pittman, but even another 1000 yard season really doesn't put him in elite space. 

1000 yards is a great target for a WR, but in reality, 26 pass catchers had 1000+ yards last season. 

And I think Pittman was 16th or so. 

So he's definitely in the WR1 space in yardage, but he's middle of the pack (16th) among WR1s.

He'll still get good money, but probably not FUMoney

5 hours ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

It’s not much different then extending the 2018 class like he already has.  But Nelson won’t cost much more because he was such a high draft pick.  Taylor and Pittman are going to be expensive because they are cheap right now. Pryor would probably be between 10 and 15 million if he has a good season. Those three guys will probably need about 45 million for them. Colts should hope that Rainman can play LT to save money.

It’s completely different.   The salary cap makes it so.    

Extending the 18 class wasn’t hard.   It was the first Ballard class to get paid.   Now the cap kicks in.   Of course the cap goes up, but the roster is getting better, there are more players who deserve bigger, longer deals.   Ballad and Bluem are really going to earn their money now.  The hard part is just beginning. 

8 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

I love Pittman, but even another 1000 yard season really doesn't put him in elite space. 

1000 yards is a great target for a WR, but in reality, 26 pass catchers had 1000+ yards last season. 

And I think Pittman was 16th or so. 

So he's definitely in the WR1 space in yardage, but he's middle of the pack (16th) among WR1s.

He'll still get good money, but probably not FUMoney

Well if you look at browns stats that’s about what he has had. So just going off a WR who has comparable stats. Then you have jags totally  screwing up the WR market. I don’t think he will get what Brown got. But I do think it will be in the 18-20 million range. That will be a huge increase considering how cheap he has now. But it also may not kick in until 24 since he will still have one more year. We still might get him and Taylor cheap for 23 even if we extend them.

10 minutes ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

Well if you look at browns stats that’s about what he has had. So just going off a WR who has comparable stats. Then you have jags totally  screwing up the WR market. I don’t think he will get what Brown got. But I do think it will be in the 18-20 million range. That will be a huge increase considering how cheap he has now. But it also may not kick in until 24 since he will still have one more year. We still might get him and Taylor cheap for 23 even if we extend them.

Not really worried about Pittman's pay at this point. Doesn't really become relevant until after the season. 

If he were paid by his performance rank, he'd be getting 16 or 17 right now. By next year, that range will likely be 18ish. 

A lot can happen between now and then, but I don't see 18-20 for a consistent 1000 yard WR as crazy expensive. There are currently ten guys making 20M or more. And more will cross that threshold in the next year. Kupp is only making 15M a year and his contract expires after 23 too. 

8 hours ago, Matabix said:

I don't envy Ballard at all now. He put together such a good team that now it's time to pay. Some great players will not get signed I'm afraid.

This is the reason that it is important to "draft and develop" your own each and every year.  You have to have part of your roster on "rookie contracts" to off-set those at the top of the $$$ food-chain.

8 hours ago, federicofalcon2 said:

I think they are hoping Paye will develop and then he can take over Yannick as he will want big money if he has a good year. Taylor is my top option even though he is a back. He is elite like Henry was. 

19 hours ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

We should have enough , trim some fat with Moore and next year we can cut kelly plug in Pinter or rookie and that’s 20m for Nelson right there. 

34 minutes ago, jbaron04 said:

We should have enough , trim some fat with Moore and next year we can cut kelly plug in Pinter or rookie and that’s 20m for Nelson right there. 

Don’t forget….  The cap is about to go up, way up.   There will be room to come.   It’s in part why some of the crazy long term contracts are so crazy.   

The cap is currently at 208.2.   
I think next year it goes up to 226. 
And the year after it goes up to mid-250’s.   This is off the top of my head, the exact numbers are at Over The Cap. 

2 minutes ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

If Pryor has a very good year starting at LT the only way he is expendable is if Rainman is good and can play LT. Okereke is probably expendable.

If Pryor is not a starting level LT, he can still likely be a starting level RG.   Or certainly a high quality backup OL who can play multiple  positions.   His future in the near term is a Colt.   We will NOT be cutting him to find cap space.   He has value to this team. 

3 hours ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

If Pryor has a very good year starting at LT the only way he is expendable is if Rainman is good and can play LT. Okereke is probably expendable.

Pryor has never played LT so we need to see what we have there, but for now he's a backup getting an opportunity to start. Rather or not Pryor has a good year, Ballard isn't gonna overpay for one good year especially if they wanna see Raimann at LT

On 5/26/2022 at 11:36 PM, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

Putting Pryor in a discussion about expensive off season contract extensions is funny. 

7 hours ago, CR91 said:

Pryor has never played LT so we need to see what we have there, but for now he's a backup getting an opportunity to start. Rather or not Pryor has a good year, Ballard isn't gonna overpay for one good year especially if they wanna see Raimann at LT

Rainman has played very few games at LT. He is very inexperienced. Ballard also said they will put the best five guys out there.  He also mentioned Rainman could be RG and competing with Pinter. There is no guarantee Rainman will be a good LT. He is going to have friends print it in practice. 

18 hours ago, sb41champs said:

This is the reason that it is important to "draft and develop" your own each and every year.  You have to have part of your roster on "rookie contracts" to off-set those at the top of the $$$ food-chain.

Agreed!

The cap going up will help, but the importance of getting picks that contribute is important

It would surprise me a bit if we traded our first for more 2nds.

(I hope they use it on a QB)

1 hour ago, shasta519 said:

They should pay Taylor if he’s healthy.

They paid Hines early and you can’t have Taylor making less than the RB2 when he is eligible to get a big extension. 

I hate big RB contracts (in general), but don't mind if they pay JT at all. I just hope the contract structuring is good (less late guarantees) in case of injury. 

2 hours ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

Rainman has played very few games at LT. He is very inexperienced. Ballard also said they will put the best five guys out there.  He also mentioned Rainman could be RG and competing with Pinter. There is no guarantee Rainman will be a good LT. He is going to have friends print it in practice. 

Raiiman imo will be groomed for that spot. I just can't see Ballard throwing money at Pryor when he needs to re-sign Q and Yannick along with Taylor and Pittman going into their final years.

3 minutes ago, CR91 said:

Raiiman imo will be groomed for that spot. I just can't see Ballard throwing money at Pryor when he needs to re-sign Q and Yannick along with Taylor and Pittman going into their final years.

Just really depends on the entire roster.

We're cheap in some areas, high spend in others.

3rd lowest on WRs. bottom 5 on Ss. High in some areas, mid in most. 

It's a balancing act from year to year, and the positional spend will shift. I think OL spend will always be pretty high under Ballard though. 

I agree it's good to find savings when you can (when you draft well). Not sure spending a little more on Pryor next season (assuming he plays well) would be that big of a deal. Doubt he'd be crazy expensive unless he turns into a lock down LT. 

Personally, I would have shifted some things this year. Pinter to OC, traded Kelly, signed Reed for RG. I'm fine with Pryor at LT and having Raimann and DKelly as swing guys. 

30 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Just really depends on the entire roster.

We're cheap in some areas, high spend in others.

3rd lowest on WRs. bottom 5 on Ss. High in some areas, mid in most. 

It's a balancing act from year to year, and the positional spend will shift. I think OL spend will always be pretty high under Ballard though. 

I agree it's good to find savings when you can (when you draft well). Not sure spending a little more on Pryor next season (assuming he plays well) would be that big of a deal. Doubt he'd be crazy expensive unless he turns into a lock down LT. 

Personally, I would have shifted some things this year. Pinter to OC, traded Kelly, signed Reed for RG. I'm fine with Pryor at LT and having Raimann and DKelly as swing guys. 

How many Centers do you know get traded? It's not exactly a glaring hole teams trade for.

48 minutes ago, CR91 said:

Well if Pryor starts and has a great season he might. That could all come down to how Rainmann looks in practice at LT. He won’t throw money at Pryor if Rainmann is looking good.

14 minutes ago, CR91 said:

How many Centers do you know get traded? It's not exactly a glaring hole teams trade for.

Teams try to hold onto their OCs if they have a good one. In general, iOL is certainly not as noteworthy as OTs, but trading Cs does happen. Even an older/declining Hudson (who was made the highest paid C just two years before) was traded from LVR to the Cards last season. Gs and Cs don't really make the news or Sportscenter.. 

5 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Teams try to hold onto their OCs if they have a good one. In general, iOL is certainly not as noteworthy as OTs, but trading Cs does happen. Even an older/declining Hudson (who was made the highest paid C just two years before) was traded from LVR to the Cards last season. Gs and Cs don't really make the news or Sportscenter.. 

Maybe I'm more in the line of old school thinking, but center's and guards are way more important to the success of a team than I think people give them credit for. Might not be traded for all that often, but I think they are just as prudent of a position to trade for as any other especially center. The QB/center relationship should be a special one and one to ensure their is harmony at.

23 minutes ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

Well if Pryor starts and has a great season he might. That could all come down to how Rainmann looks in practice at LT. He won’t throw money at Pryor if Rainmann is looking good.

Rather or not Pryor has a good season, throwing money at him means you're unlikely to re-sign both Q and Yannick. That's too much money tied into the trenches.

14 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Satale too I believe was traded for, but it's not a transaction you see often. I also don't think the colts wanted to do that Kelly especially after losing his daughter.

16 minutes ago, CR91 said:

Rather or not Pryor has a good season, throwing money at him means you're unlikely to re-sign both Q and Yannick. That's too much money tied into the trenches.

Q is going to be extended before the season starts. If Pryor ends up being the future LT they will extend him if they don’t feel Rainmann can play there.

1 minute ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

Q is going to be extended before the season starts. 

Probably, but that doesn't change anything. You'd still be putting too much money in the trenches. You can't pay everyone.

15 minutes ago, CR91 said:

Satale too I believe was traded for, but it's not a transaction you see often. I also don't think the colts wanted to do that Kelly especially after losing his daughter.

I think it happens, just not publicized near as much as other higher profile positions. I'd add that QBs typically don't want you to mess with their C if they've got a good one. Agreed, bad timing with Kelly. He's been on the decline, and I'd really like to see him rebound. Just not sure it's in the cards though.

After this year, his dead cap goes way down (so easier to walk away if needed), but his cap hit goes up. IMO, this will be a critical year for him. 

Archived