Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Frank Reich on the Signing of Backup QB Nick Foles

sb41champs

"In a perfect world, you get a proven backup," Reich said. "But if it doesn't happen, we're not going to chase it. We're not going to overpay. We're not going to do something crazy that could hurt the team long-term.''

Didn't they have a $21M backup QB just two years ago? I get it what he is saying though, but they very much have overpaid the position.

16 minutes ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

I am beginning to think colts wanted Foles as Wentz backup last season but wasn’t willing to do it because of history. Imagine if it had happened. Foles would probably be the colts starter right now after Wentz was traded and we would not of traded Ryan. Wentz losing his job to Foles would of been kind of funny.

I don’t know why you think this, but there is ZERO chance that Nick Foles on our roster would’ve stopped us from trading for Ryan. 

At this point in his career, Foles is a backup — period.   He has as much said so.   We’d still have traded for Ryan — 100 % . 

9 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I don’t know why you think this, but there is ZERO chance that Nick Foles on our roster would’ve stopped us from trading for Ryan. 

At this point in his career, Foles is a backup — period.   He has as much said so.   We’d still have traded for Ryan — 100 % . 

Reich said he has wanted Foles here for awhile. It might not of stopped them from getting Ryan but they also might of thought Foles could be the starter.. probably wouldn’t of happened with his salary because it would of been a trade. We will never. But there is a good possibility they would of been comfortable with Foles. Being in the right situation can do wonders for a QB.

16 minutes ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

Reich said he has wanted Foles here for awhile. It might not of stopped them from getting Ryan but they also might of thought Foles could be the starter.. probably wouldn’t of happened with his salary because it would of been a trade. We will never. But there is a good possibility they would of been comfortable with Foles. Being in the right situation can do wonders for a QB.

When we traded a 1 and a 3 for Wentz, we could have traded much MUCH less for Foles who also had a smaller salary than Wentz.  And we would have had we thought he was a starter.   He was a backup in Philly.  In 21 he was THIRD string.  

So,  again, we wanted Foles as a backup,  period.   That’s all, nothing more.   Nothing that has transpired would’ve stopped us from getting Ryan, especially when he said he wanted to be a Colt and Atlanta made the asking price so cheap.  

You’re badly over-thinking this. 

8 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

When we traded a 1 and a 3 for Wentz, we could have traded much MUCH less for Foles who also had a smaller salary than Wentz.  And we would have had we thought he was a starter.   He was a backup in Philly.  In 21 he was THIRD string.  

So,  again, we wanted Foles as a backup,  period.   That’s all, nothing more.   Nothing that has transpired would’ve stopped us from getting Ryan, especially when he said he wanted to be a Colt and Atlanta made the asking price so cheap.  

You’re badly over-thinking this. 

You don’t have to make such a big fuss over something you disagree about. It is just my opinion.  I was mainly talking about last year and having Foles back up Wentz. And if Foles had been already on the rost this year they may not of felt need to go get Ryan.

1 hour ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

You don’t have to make such a big fuss over something you disagree about. It is just my opinion.  I was mainly talking about last year and having Foles back up Wentz. And if Foles had been already on the rost this year they may not of felt need to go get Ryan.

I know EXACTLY what your position is.   I’m making a fuss about it because you keep doubling down on a bad position.   Look at your last sentence….  “That if we had Foles they may not have felt the need to get Ryan.” 

THAT is the problem we’re debating.   You don’t seem willing to concede this is a 100 percent illogical viewpoint.  

*** Ryan is better. 
*** Foles was cheaper in both picks needed to trade and salary.   So if we wanted him as our starter we could have easily made it happen. 

Yet you want to run and hide and make this a ME problem when this is clearly a YOU issue.
I don’t care that you had a bad idea — we ALL do.  I care that this is I think my third post trying patiently to explain why your view is illogical and nonsensical.   And you keep doubling down and defending yourself.   It’s really not helpful.  

58 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I know EXACTLY what your position is.   I’m making a fuss about it because you keep doubling down on a bad position.   Look at your last sentence….  “That if we had Foles they may not have felt the need to get Ryan.” 

THAT is the problem we’re debating.   You don’t seem willing to concede this is a 100 percent illogical viewpoint.  

*** Ryan is better. 
*** Foles was cheaper in both picks needed to trade and salary.   So if we wanted him as our starter we could have easily made it happen. 

Yet you want to run and hide and make this a ME problem when this is clearly a YOU issue.
I don’t care that you had a bad idea — we ALL do.  I care that this is I think my third post trying patiently to explain why your view is illogical and nonsensical.   And you keep doubling down and defending yourself.   It’s really not helpful.  

gifs for ants GIF

Archived