Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

NFL.com: TE Mo Alie-Cox Named Team’s Most Underappreciated Player

EastStreet

44 minutes ago, holeymoley99 said:

Woods is going to be a stud and I think Granson will be a nice complement so whatever MAC does to help them is a positive as 3rd TE

Granson has struggled in both blocking and hands (drops). Hope he improves, but we've asked him to do something entirely different than what he did in college (he was a vertical move TE). 

Woods may a stud down the road, but many question his hands and blocking as well right now. And folks complain about MAC looking like he "lumbers", but Woods looks as much, or more "lumbering"... 

In short, if I had to bet, MAC will be TE1 most, if not all, of 2022. 

2023 is anyone's guess though. 

11 hours ago, EastStreet said:

Granson has struggled in both blocking and hands (drops). Hope he improves, but we've asked him to do something entirely different than what he did in college (he was a vertical move TE). 

Woods may a stud down the road, but many question his hands and blocking as well right now. And folks complain about MAC looking like he "lumbers", but Woods looks as much, or more "lumbering"... 

In short, if I had to bet, MAC will be TE1 most, if not all, of 2022. 

2023 is anyone's guess though. 

Woods has that size/speed combo, he runs a 4.61 so quite a bit faster then MAC (4.75) and that reach makes him a red zone monster as witnessed last season. His blocking will take some time to get what the clubs wants.

Granson had to learn how to catch with his hands not body and had some double clutches early but did improve and yes he was asked to be a different kind of TE so we didnt see huge numbers last season, this year I would expect his numbers to more then double possibly triple.

Ogletree is a smaller slower Woods so not sure how he will factor in,reports are he looked really good 2 weeks ago in camp, we could keep 4 depending on how the roster numbers shake out, if not p.s if we can slip him by.

30 minutes ago, holeymoley99 said:

Woods has that size/speed combo, he runs a 4.61 so quite a bit faster then MAC (4.75) and that reach makes him a red zone monster as witnessed last season. His blocking will take some time to get what the clubs wants.

Granson had to learn how to catch with his hands not body and had some double clutches early but did improve and yes he was asked to be a different kind of TE so we didnt see huge numbers last season, this year I would expect his numbers to more then double possibly triple.

Ogletree is a smaller slower Woods so not sure how he will factor in,reports are he looked really good 2 weeks ago in camp, we could keep 4 depending on how the roster numbers shake out, if not p.s if we can slip him by.

I think your getting too caught up with RAS and combine stuff. Mo never played college football. Matter of fact, I think he last played freshman year in HS. So nobody would really expect him to measure well in something like the 40. I doubt he prepped much for the pro day, or at least nothing like Woods would have for the combine. 

As far a TEs go, most TEs run in the 4.7s. Only 4 TEs in this seasons combine ran better than 4.7. And historically, take for instance Zach Ertz.... he ran a 4.76, so in short, 4.7s isn't exactly slow for a TE of MAC's size. All in all, I'm high on Woods' upside, but expecting him to be TE1 in year one is probably overly optimistic. Until he can block, he's simply not going to get a ton of reps unless we're in a 2 TE formation. Especially on early downs. I do love his speed though at his size, but he's going to need to fill out his frame (especially lower body) to improve on his blocking. That'll likely take some time in itself. 

On Granson, he didn't play much at all late season last year. I do expect improvement from him, but I just don't expect much in terms of production. He's more or less a slot/HB hybrid, and I'm going to guess those slot snaps are going to be harder to come by this season. He didn't get a ton of snaps last season, and I think Hines will eat in to that opportunity this season. And if Pittman, Pierce, and Campbell (and the rest of the WRs) stay mostly healthy, again, less slot snaps available. IIRC, Granson got most of his PT/snaps when we had several guys out due to injury. 

The roster # will be interesting. I think we'll end up keeping three to start if everyone is healthy. Ogletree should be able to pass to the PS without much problem. I also wouldn't be shocked to see us shop for a TE during cutdowns along with DBs and WRs. 

Archived