Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts sign former Raven RB Ty'son Williams

CR91

• CR91 changed the title to Colts sign former Raven RB Ty'son Williams
13 minutes ago, stitches said:

I agree the other UDFAs were pretty weak, but not sure TW is a clear upgrade. Hopped around a lot in college (not to mention and ACL). He's got some nice traits, just not sure this should be seen as a big deal. 

Jonathan Taylor - Clear Number 1

Nyheim Hines - Clear Number 2 but is more of the Scat Back/Slot Receiver type

And the battle for number 3 and the practice squad begins:

With the losses of Jordan Wilkins and Marlon Mack as guys who 'could' be lead back types and carry the load for a game or two the Colts are clearly searching for an upgrade and/or competition for Deon Jackson to be the guy that could spell and/or replace JT for a game or two as needed.

In comes the D'Vonte Price (9.74 RAS) and Ty'Son Williams (9.65 RAS) types of big, fast backs that could carry the lead back role.

Phillip Lindsay is an outlier in my eyes and a pure roll of the dice on a talented guy that fits more of the Hines role in my opinion. C.J. Verdell fits this type of role as well and they are rolling the dice on his injury history.

SUPERB!!!

Best offensive signing this year by far!

Major talented. Bye-Bye Lindsay, which is a terrible thing because I like Lindsay too, however this kid has major star potential.

Never understood why Baltimore went away from using him exclusively after Edwards and Dobbins went down. 

1 hour ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

There are going to be good players not make the team.

Ballard said a couple years ago this is a good measuring stick to see how good a team in the NFL is.  I think he said something like a really good team will see 10 guys they had to cut playing on another team that season (not sure if he meant actually playing or if he meant on the final roster) . 

51 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Depth is a great weapon to have and keeps players fresh. We still need to add 1 more WR, I hope it is TY. 

really hoping he comes back for one more year 

This move really makes me wonder if Hines is moving to the WR room. I was pretty skeptical of the whole Hines as a slot guy thing, but between this and the Lindsay signing, they are making an incredibly crowded RB room...unless Hines moves.

9 minutes ago, Hark said:

This move really makes me wonder if Hines is moving to the WR room. I was pretty skeptical of the whole Hines as a slot guy thing, but between this and the Lindsay signing, they are making an incredibly crowded RB room...unless Hines moves.

he has already stated he is getting coached by both reggie and the RB coach. he doesn't need to switch rooms to learn how to run routes. 

I'm thinking he gets used in a very similar role that ATL gave patterson. 

22 minutes ago, AustinnKaine said:

he has already stated he is getting coached by both reggie and the RB coach. he doesn't need to switch rooms to learn how to run routes. 

If you're in a PPR league, he'll be a steal.  Of course, I'm not in Indy and no one in my league is a Colts fan.  

I doubt he'll last in any of the Indy base FFBall leagues.

48 minutes ago, AustinnKaine said:

Nice to have a guy that can help at multiple positions. Creates a lot of roster flexibility...especially at the bottom.

Never really understood why he was treated the way he was last year. He seemed to play well and then all of the sudden was in the doghouse. 

(Yes, I had the first waiver spot after Week 1 last year and claimed him, but I still think it's a valid question.)

Williams avg 5.3 yards a carry last season compared to Lindsay 2.8 (Among 10 lowest in NFL) and Jackson 2.4 (Lowest in NFL). Williams knock was knowing pass protection but he would seem to have enough to be 3 right now. Like stated above we likely keep 4 and Williams is battling Price and Jackson while Lindsay is likely battling Verdell.  I would think Williams and Verdell (If healthy) would be the ones to earn spots.

Surprised Mollete was let go this early

13 minutes ago, holeymoley99 said:

Williams avg 5.3 yards a carry last season compared to Lindsay 2.8 (Among 10 lowest in NFL) and Jackson 2.4 (Lowest in NFL). Williams knock was knowing pass protection but he would seem to have enough to be 3 right now. Like stated above we likely keep 4 and Williams is battling Price and Jackson while Lindsay is likely battling Verdell.  I would think Williams and Verdell (If healthy) would be the ones to earn spots.

Surprised Mollete was let go this early

I think that Wesley French is likely the better player so Mollete was expendable especially with Pinter still in the wings. 

22 minutes ago, Scott Pennock said:

I think that Wesley French is likely the better player so Mollete was expendable especially with Pinter still in the wings. 

French must how shown much better last weekend, we got so little report of what occurred but we are seeing moves that show what the coaches thought and so far 0 of the non drafted and non signed udfa have gotten deals (I expect 2-3 might show out but obviously not).

48 minutes ago, holeymoley99 said:

French must how shown much better last weekend, we got so little report of what occurred but we are seeing moves that show what the coaches thought and so far 0 of the non drafted and non signed udfa have gotten deals (I expect 2-3 might show out but obviously not).

French has played everything on the line. That helped his chances

I

17 hours ago, Hark said:

I think we will definitely see more of Hines being used as a receiver, but I'd guess a goIod deal of that will be out of the backfield. Remember, with Luck and Rivers at QB, Hines had 63 receptions each year. 

We lost a solid depth player in Mack (who before injury was playing near a probowl level).  

Lindsay is 5'7 190 lbs. A pretty small back with quickness and speed if healthy. He hasn't done anything substantial since 2019.

Ty'Son rushed for a whopping 185 yards last year. He's a bigger guy at 6'0 220 lbs. But after going undrafted, it's not like he set the world on fire.

I like both signings. I won't be shocked if one or both guys make the team, nor will I be shocked if one or both guys don't make the team. Either way, they are good potential depth pieces who will make competition in camp better.

We typically have a decent number of backs in training camp and I'd guess we'll keep 4. Bringing in these 2 guys helps training camp competition. 

I'm expecting to see Hines get more catches this year. Mostly because Ryan is the QB. Recent history shows he gets 20 more receptions if he has a qb who knows how to utilize running backs in the passing game (63 receptions with Luck and Rivers, 44 and 40 receptions with Brissett and Wentz).

Recent history also shows Lindsay hasn't been very productive the past 2 years (he was 3rd string in Houston before being cut mid-season and going to Dolphins) , and Ty'Son rushed for 185 yards last year.  I'm not sure where people are getting the notion that Hines is going to somehow be pushed out of the rb room because of either of these signings. 

19 hours ago, Indeee said:

SUPERB!!!

Major talented. Bye-Bye Lindsay, which is a terrible thing because I like Lindsay too, however this kid has major star potential.

Never understood why Baltimore went away from using him exclusively after Edwards and Dobbins went down. 

Benched due to missed blitz pickups

On 5/24/2022 at 5:07 PM, sb41champs said:

If memory serves - this is the deepest RB room we've had for years and years.  Glad to see the competition and the mix of different skill sets !!

Welcome to the Colts Mr Williams !! 

2021. Healthy Mack, Taylor, Hines and Wilkins was better in my opinion

On 5/24/2022 at 12:38 PM, Indeee said:

SUPERB!!!

I’m glad you like him. Could be something!

Archived