Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Indy getting the draft combine in 2023-2024

Indyfan4life

6 minutes ago, sb41champs said:

This is outstanding news for the city of Indianapolis - AND - the Colts - who won't have to have their entire staff travel to another site.

It is because the league knows we did enough this off season to be very relevant and could win a SB. Getting a QB like Matt Ryan changes a lot of people's perception of us, so they are keeping it here for at least 2 more years. Carson Wentz didn't cut the mustard. 

6 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

It is because the league knows we did enough this off season to be very relevant and could win a SB. Getting a QB like Matt Ryan changes a lot of people's perception of us, so they are keeping it here for at least 2 more years. Carson Wentz didn't cut the mustard. 

been a while since I heard the “didn’t cut the mustard” phrase. It never made sense to me. You can spread it, you can squirt it. But how do you cut it? So I looked it up. I get it now!

WHEN MUSTARD was one of the main crops in East Anglia, it was cut by hand with scythes, in the same way as corn. The crop could grow up to six feet high and this was very arduous work, requiring extremely sharp tools. When blunt they "would not cut the mustard".

Indy continues to get events like this because the city does go all out and the layout between hotels, stadium, and the convention center is pretty much perfect.  When the same get's hosted at other locations like Dallas, LA, and other cities you hear logistic wise it is not convenient and almost a nightmare at times. Indy simply does it better than most.

Back during the combine I heard on the radio one of the nicest and best stories I’ve ever heard about Indianapolis. 

Listening to the NFL Network on Sirius XM, a reporter who has covered roughly 25-30 combines said this….  (Not word for word, but a pretty close summary)

That for all the good natured teasing that Indy gets as not a very glamorous or sexy city, that it literally is the PERFECT city to host the combine, and that everyone in the NFL knows it.  

That the ONLY reason they’re going to rotate it is to monetize it and make more money.  But here’s what the NFL fears.   That cities like Los Angeles and Dallas are way, WAY too big, too spread out.   And it will be hard, if not nearly impossible for cities like this to keep things organized and running smoothly as Indy does.   That there’s such thing as too big and Indy is the perfect size and they run things so well, so efficiently.  NFL people know this and LOVE this about Indy.  He said he thinks Indy will likely always be part of the rotation.  

(Back to my opinion) 

So, it strikes me that here’s what the NFL is doing by keeping the Combine in Indy for two more years….  The NFL is going to encourage every city that will submit bids to come and visit INDY the next two combines to see what makes us the perfect host city and what is expected.   The NFL fears moving it and having it be a disaster and poorly done.  It’s one thing to host a draft where there is one central location.  But the combine has many locations besides Lucas Oil.   Hospitals, hotels,  restaurants and more, and they don’t want things so spread out that it’s impossible to keep things organized.   Indy is just the right size, and the other bigger cities have to figure out how to overcome those obstacles.  The NFL is so image conscious, that they don’t want a self inflicted PR wound where there is LOTS of negative feedback about the new city.   Indy is the Gold Standard and they’re trying to make sure everyone else measures up!

Pretty damn nice when you think about it!   :heart::flowers:   :thmup: 

:colts:

10 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I’ve written a very long post explaining what I believe is happening.   It has nothing to do with the Colts being good and relevant again. I think it’s MUCH bigger than that.  I believe you’ll like what I wrote.   Hope you’ll consider it….   Please scroll up one post. 

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

I’ve written a very long post explaining what I believe is happening.   It has nothing to do with the Colts being good and relevant again. I think it’s MUCH bigger than that.  I believe you’ll like what I wrote.   Hope you’ll consider it….   Please scroll up one post. 

Yeah good stuff @NewColtsFan. It is just a great time to be a Colts fan again. I have always been a fan but this is the best I have felt that we can win the division since 2014 when Luck dominated the division. 

5 hours ago, coltsva said:

been a while since I heard the “didn’t cut the mustard” phrase. It never made sense to me. You can spread it, you can squirt it. But how do you cut it? So I looked it up. I get it now!

WHEN MUSTARD was one of the main crops in East Anglia, it was cut by hand with scythes, in the same way as corn. The crop could grow up to six feet high and this was very arduous work, requiring extremely sharp tools. When blunt they "would not cut the mustard".

High Five GIF by MOODMAN

On 5/24/2022 at 5:12 PM, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Honestly - I don't believe that what the "home team" does or doesn't do has anything to do with Indy keeping the Combine.

The media - the team owners - the collegiate players - team doctors - and - team staff ALL believe that Indianapolis provides the most "compact" and "accessible" venue to meet ALL the needs of the Combine.  That allows the league and individual teams to do their "due diligence" in a more effective and less time consuming fashion.

Archived