Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Update: Foles signing with Colts 5/23

CR91

I've never been one who was banging the table for Foles. I think he's about as good a backup as you can get in the NFL right now, so I think it's a good signing. I also hope he never has to play any meaningful snaps, so in a perfect world, his presence has no tangible impact on how our season goes.

But last season, we weren't sure Wentz would be able to play in the opener. Then Wentz got hurt, and our backup wasn't good enough. (And realistically, Wentz probably shouldn't have played for a couple games with the ankle injuries.) And later on, Wentz would have missed at least one game if not for the NFL deciding to change their Covid waiting period. (And realistically, Wentz probably shouldn't have played the Raiders game. Maybe not the Jags game either.)

Now, if anything happens that jeopardizes Matt Ryan for a short period of time, we have a proven, capable backup. I think it's a bonus that he's familiar with Reich, but more importantly, he's an experienced, capable player who can step in for a week or two, if necessary, and we'll be able to stay afloat, at the very least. Or if our starter suffers a weird injury and can't return to finish a game, we have a guy who won't crumble under the pressure.

So I don't understand how it's a bad thing, in any way. I don't think it raises our ceiling, but it does raise our floor, in that we can weather a short term absence of our starter, if necessary.

• Replies 291
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like this signing. Like @Superman said it raises our floor. Also, it won't hurt to have another Vet familiar with the offense in the offensive meetings. Lots of offensive rookies that need to get up to speed. 

Would never want Foles as a starter at this point in his career, but I am happy with the signing. 

23 hours ago, shasta519 said:

I don’t get it. I am sure the Wentz experiment added a certain stigma to Reich-connected QBs.

But Foles and Wentz are very different QBs. Foles is like JB in the locker room, but with actual success, and in the most important moments too. 

He’s 4-3 in the playoffs. And has never lost by more than 6 points.

If somebody is confident about a 37 year-old Matt Ryan bouncing back to being a high level starting QB…then how can you not get confident that a 33 year-old Foles can bounce back to being a high-level BACKUP. Makes no real sense. 

Now THIS is a great post!!   Bravo!!

Drop the Mic, you win the internet today!!    :thmup:

:colts:

26 minutes ago, Superman said:

I've never been one who was banging the table for Foles. I think he's about as good a backup as you can get in the NFL right now, so I think it's a good signing. I also hope he never has to play any meaningful snaps, so in a perfect world, his presence has no tangible impact on how our season goes.

But last season, we weren't sure Wentz would be able to play in the opener. Then Wentz got hurt, and our backup wasn't good enough. (And realistically, Wentz probably shouldn't have played for a couple games with the ankle injuries.) And later on, Wentz would have missed at least one game if not for the NFL deciding to change their Covid waiting period. (And realistically, Wentz probably shouldn't have played the Raiders game. Maybe not the Jags game either.)

Now, if anything happens that jeopardizes Matt Ryan for a short period of time, we have a proven, capable backup. I think it's a bonus that he's familiar with Reich, but more importantly, he's an experienced, capable player who can step in for a week or two, if necessary, and we'll be able to stay afloat, at the very least. Or if our starter suffers a weird injury and can't return to finish a game, we have a guy who won't crumble under the pressure.

So I don't understand how it's a bad thing, in any way. I don't think it raises our ceiling, but it does raise our floor, in that we can weather a short term absence of our starter, if necessary.

You made a great point about not having a capable backup at different times during the season.  If we had it most likely would've resulted in at least one more win and playoffs, so I agree it's not a bad thing to have good backup. Patriots are perfect example of not necessarily having 7 or 8 superstars and marginal players but a whole roster of good players and a few great ones. And we know the results of this. 

19 minutes ago, stitches said:

In two years we trade for Kirk Cousins. We will be the retirement home for all aging QBs. 

In two years we trade for Trevor Lawrence.  Who, by that time, will be wanting out of Jacksonville so badly he'd rather quit than play one more down for such a dysfunctional franchise.

1 hour ago, Jared Cisneros said:

He improves our team. I don't mind a two-year deal since that probably means he'll back up Matt Ryan for two years. What I'm curious about now is is if we will draft a QB still next year? Lot to be determined, but if Foles can help us not use a 1st rounder on a QB next year, that might be a bit of a bonus. I'm just hoping Sam doesn't get claimed on the practice squad should he go there, I'd like to develop him for a year or two and see what happens.

Odds are high we will NOT be drafting a QB next year.   There are already FIVE teams which have TWO first round picks next year.  They’re potentially poised to go after a QB.  If the Colts are picking in the 20’s, we don’t have enough draft capital to outbid five other teams.   We will continue to build around Ryan as we did this year. 

Don’t look for a QB until 24 at the earliest. 

19 minutes ago, John Hammonds said:

In two years we trade for Trevor Lawrence.  Who, by that time, will be wanting out of Jacksonville so badly he'd rather quit than play one more down for such a dysfunctional franchise.

Do you mean that dysfunctional franchise that we can't beat?

1 hour ago, John Hammonds said:

I've been publicly against this move.  But it is what it is.  All chips in.  If Ryan goes down for any reason, they're not relying on a guy who is still developing to win games for them and take them to the playoffs.

Sorry Sam.  But that's the path we're on.  Just win (now) baby!

I'm in the same boat.   I don't hate it, but not thrilled with it either.   I hope he doesn't see the field.

7 minutes ago, BigO said:

When the modern NFL is now trending on having young QB's who are very athletic and can scramble we will have the 2 most unathletic QB's that are in their late 30's. Thanks again Frank.

Just like the last 2 super bowl winning teams.   In the last 5 years, only 1 of the 10 QBs starting the SB were athletic.  Mahomes.  And Foles himself got there in 2017.

Maybe the trend of an athletic QB is being soft-forced and not really a winning trend

20 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Miami Vice 80S GIF

Second dumbest move ever made by the Colts under Ballard. And I’m a Chris Ballard fan. This is just plain stupid 

????    

Ok….  Go ahead and try to make the case.   You’ve moaned and groaned about how bad Foles is.  You’ve ignored the stats that say you’re wrong.   You’ve ignored the fact that Foles is only being signed as a backup and this is what most backups look like. 

So, what’s your case?   And try not to default to he’s just not good.   That’s an opinion.  Make a case. 

3 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Just like the last 2 super bowl winning teams.   In the last 5 years, only 1 of the 10 QBs starting the SB were athletic.  Mahomes.  And Foles himself got there in 2017.

Maybe the trend of an athletic QB is being soft-forced and not really a winning trend

I was literally going to post this exact message. Out of pocket passers are nice but statistics show that pocket passers win SBs. 

13 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Just a matter of time. Mahomes, Jackson, Wilson, Watson, Allen, Herbert, Murray, Prescott, Hurts, Fields, Lawrence, Carr and Stafford. All athletic QB's.

7 minutes ago, BigO said:

Just a matter of time. Mahomes, Jackson, Wilson, Watson, Allen, Herbert, Murray, Prescott, Hurts, Fields, Lawrence, Carr and Stafford. All athletic QB's.

Who won't go anywhere close to the SB if they don't learn the stuff they are supposed to learn.  

It may be a forced trend.  No other options than getting an athletic QB because that's what the colleges produce.  I think it still comes down to reading defenses, quick smart decision making, and accurate throwing.  If that comes with athleticism, fine, but the athleticism part is pretty irrelevant.

On 5/20/2022 at 5:44 PM, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

Don’t overthink this. He will be the backup and chances he would have to play Id slim. If Ryan goes down a couple games would you rather have a guy who has won a SB of a guy who hadn’t taken a nfl snap. It’s a no brainer you want the vet who has won a SB. Get him signed and get TY signed and we are in great shape depth wise. 

JMV was right about this. Now we will see what TY does. It will be Ty and if not it will be Julio. Foles can win a couple games if Ryan goes down. Probably wouldn’t miss much of a beat.

Completely agree. This is a solid move and Foles is an excellent backup. I disagree on the TY or Julio comment, I don't think Julio is coming here at all. 

52 minutes ago, stitches said:

In two years we trade for Kirk Cousins. We will be the retirement home for all aging QBs. 

I would welcome that plan.  It'd be cool to be known as the last stop for aging great QB's.  

30 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

????    

Ok….  Go ahead and try to make the case.   You’ve moaned and groaned about how bad Foles is.  You’ve ignored the stats that say you’re wrong.   You’ve ignored the fact that Foles is only being signed as a backup and this is what most backups look like. 

So, what’s your case?   And try not to default to he’s just not good.   That’s an opinion.  Make a case. 

I’m walking into a meeting, I’ll post something up in detail this evening or first thing in the am.

2 minutes ago, carmelcolt said:

Foles is a really decent backup who can give you a few games if needed. Lets hope we don't need him, that means Ryan is injured.

Right.  What we want from Foles is to provide any insight he can while on the sidelines or in the meeting room.  

Archived